Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kann123air
Topic Author

Very Disappointed With UA, AA, And Orbitz

Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:43 am

Hi everyone,

In July, I booked a reservation for myself from FSM to PHL, via DFW and IAH. I chose the stop in IAH on purpose, because I wanted to fly UA (usually I am an AA flyer). Also, the IAH-PHL leg was on a B738, which is one of my most favorite aircraft out there.

A few weeks ago, I got an email saying "your reservation has changed". I look at it, and the aircraft is changed to an A319. I called orbitz and they in turn called United and American, trying to find me another B738. American apparently said "since it is VOLUNTARY change, this will cost you $230". My point is, they changed it first, so don't I have a right to change it to what I purchased in the first place??

Then, another idea struck me. I would try to fly the 787 from IAH to AND CURRENT: Denver - International (DEN / KDEN), USA - Colorado">DEN, and plunk down the $230 change fee. I called orbitz, and they in turn called UA and AA. The only catch was that the 787 on the day of travel for me leaves IAH at 900 am, so I would have to get to IAH rather early. For this, I would have to leave out of XNA (an airport 80 miles north of me) for a direct flight to IAH at 600 am (instead of going FSM-DFW-IAH, since FSM does not have UA service).

Since I wanted an all UA route instead (XNA-IAH-AND CURRENT: Denver - International (DEN / KDEN), USA - Colorado">DEN-PHL), the agent said that it would be impossible, as the changes would have to be made on the same airlines my original ticket was on (american AND united).

What can I do to get my route to be XNA-IAH-AND CURRENT: Denver - International (DEN / KDEN), USA - Colorado">DEN-PHL, if at all even possible?
Going for great

MesaFlyGuy

RE: Very Disappointed With UA, AA, And Orbitz

Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:07 am

Well I recey got an email from DL saying that my flight from CHS to JFK had changed, not only going from a CRJ-200 to an E-145, but moving from an 11:30AM departure from CHS to a 4:30PM departure. Luckily both these changes are actually better for me, but the email did say that I could change my itinerary for no charge if the changes didn't please me.
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

aklrno

Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:29 am

They sold you a seat from one place to another at a particular time. There is no guarantee of aircraft type. As long as the times are approximately the same, they are holding up their end of the bargain.

I wonder how many people would care about this. 1 in 1000? 1 in 10,000? Airlines are set up to transport people, not to provide flight experiences in various aircraft. They will try to accommodate you, but you are swimming upstream against a strong current.

RyanairGuru

Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:01 am

Quoting kann123air (Thread starter):
What can I do to get my route to be XNA-IAH-AND CURRENT: Denver - International (DEN / KDEN), USA - Colorado">DEN-PHL, if at all even possible?

Buy a new ticket.

I got an email saying "your reservation has changed". I look at it, and the aircraft is changed to an A319. I called orbitz and they in turn called United and American, trying to find me another B738. American apparently said "since it is VOLUNTARY change, this will cost you $230". My point is, they changed it first, so don't I have a right to change it to what I purchased in the first place??

I asked you this before, and you didn't provide a straight answer: Is the A319 leaving at the same time (or within an hour or so) of the original 737 flight? If so then you have no recourse. The aircraft type is NOT guaranteed until you have taken off. Merely changing the aircraft type is not a sufficiently important to warrant a change for free. If, however, they have moved you onto a flight - say - 5 hours later then you should be able to change for free.

To use Mesa's example, he was permitted to change for free because the departure time was changed, not because the aircraft type changed.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

AR385

Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:56 am

My point is, they changed it first, so don't I have a right to change it to what I purchased in the first place??

The airline is in business to transport you from A to B within the terms of the contract of carriage. It is not in business to provide flights in people´s favorite aircraft.

I understand the frustration. If I had booked a ticket to fly the A380 and the flight was changed to a 744 for whatever reason I would be disappointed. But to go to all the trouble you are going to just so as to fly on certain planes? Get a new ticket if that is your priority. I don´t see a reason to be:

"Very Disappointed With UA, AA, And Orbitz "

RyanairGuru

Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:18 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 4):
If I had booked a ticket to fly the A380 and the flight was changed to a 744 for whatever reason I would be disappointed

That's precisely what happened to me, and I had to wait another two years before flying on an A380, but it is what it is and life went on  
Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 3):

Buy a new ticket.
Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 3):
Buy a new ticket.

OK, I will try and be more constructive in my feedback, Are you able to provide more information about the ticket you purchased? Was it a mixed AA/UA itinerary (say, XNA-DFW-IAH-PHL) or one carrier in each direction (say, XNA-IAH-PHL-DFW-XNA). The fact that it is a mixed-airline fair means that it is probably issued on a very specific fair basis, which could be why you have trouble changing the routing. Also, do you know the ticket? If the first three numbers are 001 then it is an AA ticket, and if they are 016 then it is a UA ticket. If it is an AA ticket that could cause specific issues about trying to fly on an all UA itinerary.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

srbmod

Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:26 am

Equipment changes typically aren't the sort of changes that allow one to change a ticket without penalty. The majority of passengers don't book because of a certain a/c being used on a flight, they want the flight that's the cheapest they can get at the times they want. I've gotten used to equipment changes after booking a flight because I typically book several months in advance of a trip and at least one of the legs sees the equipment gets changed from say a 763 to a 752 or from a 753 to a 752.

About the only sort of ticket change that can be made without penalty is if the airline changes the schedule and the flight times have changed significantly.

AR385

Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:04 pm

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 5):
That's precisely what happened to me, and I had to wait another two years before flying on an A380, but it is what it is and life went on

I cannot tell you the times it happened to me when I was pursuing AR´s 747SP. Fortunately I had 10 years and managed in the end to fly it dozens of times.

dc9northwest

Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:16 pm

It can happen... and it's not pleasant for us, but you can't blame UA or any other airline for it.

At least be thankful it didn't happen at the gate, to ruin your flight. Now you can prepare yourself mentally.

Plus, if it's a 738, you'll get tens of chances to fly on them... Now, if it was a MD-11 or an ATP, then I'd be really pissed.

kann123air
Topic Author

Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:27 am

Well, now they messed with it more. I am no longer flying UA at all, just FSM-DFW-PHL-DFW-FSM on AA (ER4 and S80).
How can they change it so drastically without asking me? Even if they do, they should let me change it back to what it was!
Going for great

flyingthe757

Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:14 am

Quoting kann123air (Reply 9):

Have you called and asked, or just posted here about it?

RyanairGuru

Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:48 am

OK, so it was an AA itinerary. That at least answers your question about why you can't change it to fly to DEN on UA.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

MesaFlyGuy

Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:03 am

I'd just keep this itinerary! You'll have years and years to fly 737-800s, while the S80s' days are numbered.
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

Bongodog1964

Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:10 am

Well, now they messed with it more. I am no longer flying UA at all, just FSM-DFW-PHL-DFW-FSM on AA (ER4 and S80).
How can they change it so drastically without asking me? Even if they do, they should let me change it back to what it was!

"drastically" ? all that happened is that the airline replaced the original 738 with a 319, the rest of it was purely down to you. That's not drastic, in the scale of things its not even inconvenient, its just an everyday occurrence. The primary purpose of airlines is to move passengers from A to B. The systems and staff aren't really programmed to cope with the occasional enthusiast to whom the plane is more important than the shortest routing.

As to "really like the 738" compared to a A320 series whats to like/dislike ? they are both mass produced single aisle metal tubes with 6 abreast seating, as far as the airline is concerned they are completely interchangeable.

Hopefully when you've grown up you will realise just how whiny you look here.   

srbmod

Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:58 pm

Blaming this on Orbitz is a bit misplaced, as they are merely the seller of the ticket. They have no say in the equipment types or the schedules and are at the mercy of the airlines on that.

I book directly with the airline I'm flying on and avoid booking flights via a third party site because of the headaches of having to make changes to the flights. Only twice have I booked flights on a travel site as they were part of an air+hotel package and one of them I ended up having to cancel and the airfare became a credit that in order to use on a future flight involved calling a certain number at the airline and being charged a $180 booking fee which wiped out most of the credit on its' own. I also try to avoid using third party sites to book rooms as much as possible because they may give you a less desirable room or if the hotel is overbooked, they "walk" you and you have to call the travel site to get things sorted out.

MesaFlyGuy

Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:25 am

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 13):

Oh, because there aren't "grown-ups" on this website that are just as whiny?  

kann123air
Topic Author

Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:53 pm

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 13):

Sorry, I'll try to be less whiny.

My only doubt remaining is now, on orbitz's website, it shows me flying back PHL-DFW-FSM, whereas on United's website, it shows me flying back PHL-ORD-DFW-FSM. Which one should I believe?
Going for great

MesaFlyGuy

Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:05 pm

Quoting kann123air (Reply 16):
My only doubt remaining is now, on orbitz's website, it shows me flying back PHL-DFW-FSM, whereas on United's website, it shows me flying back PHL-ORD-DFW-FSM. Which one should I believe?

I'd trust the airline before I'd trust the third-party.

RyanairGuru

Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:04 am

What does the AA website say? I'd take that as definitive, and maybe call AA (not UA) to confirm)
Worked Hard, Flew Right