Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JoePatroni707
Topic Author

AA Relaxes Nrsa Dress Code

Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:37 pm

From today American Airlines has relaxed the dress code for non rev employees. Employees will be allowed to wear jeans in FIrst Class and athletic shoes as well. In economy employees will be allowed to wear shorts.
Personally I grew up old school were a tie was required to even get in economy.

oc2dc

RE: AA Relaxes Nrsa Dress Code

Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:47 pm

I kind of liked that Non-rev travelers had to dress up. It created the illusion that the days of flying being glamorous and something to dress up about are still alive. Apparently those days are completely dead.

I just spoke to an AA pilot about the difference between the start of his career and now. I think a little peice of him died when he mentioned a full grown woman that came onto his plane with a blanket, a teddy-bear and pajamas. He said it's now a common sight. . .Hopefully non-revers don't sink that low.

The end of another era.
I'm not complaining, I'm critiquing...

flyingthe757

Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:50 pm

I can't not travel on my premium ticket in jeans, I need to be in a shirt and smart trousers if I'm flying long haul, even though the rules have been relaxed. It does not feel right.

FWAERJ

Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:54 pm

Quoting oc2dc (Reply 1):
I think a little peice of him died when he mentioned a full grown woman that came onto his plane with a blanket, a teddy-bear and pajamas. He said it's now a common sigh

UA had a commercial in 1977 showing little kids, complete with teddy bear, dressed up in PJs about to board a UA red-eye. Their mom and dad, however, were still dress and suit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfHK9i1dloE
B721/722/731/732/733/735/73G/738/739/742/752/753/762/763, A300/319/320, DC-9/10, MD-82/83/88/90, ERJ-140/145, CRJ-200/700, Q200, SF340, AS350

modesto2

Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:28 pm

I still remember when CO relaxed its NRSA dress code around 2010. While I agree that people shouldn't be boarding in pajamas, boarding in jeans (and not slacks) makes packing much easier. From this practical perspective, it allows me to easily pack just a rollaboard for even a 10 day trip. Carrying dress shoes and clothes was always a pain, and I definitely don't miss those days.

goboeing

Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:40 pm

Who cares what non-revs are wearing as long as they don't look like a total slob.

It's 2013; we're talking about some flights being 16 hours long now.

Modernize and get comfortable.

I don't care what the paying customers wear for that matter, either. Just take a shower and brush your teeth in the preceding couple hours, and wear clothes that have been washed. If that happens to be a clean pair of pajamas, it's none of anyone's business.

ouboy79

Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:46 pm

The days of dressing up to fly are long over with. It is nothing recent though. In the late 90s when I was flying Delta quite often, I would be in first on flights that it was available and I would not be the only one in jeans and a ball cap. Of course I was flying as a revenue pax then.

Non-revving for me today isn't much different because WN is pretty relaxed in the dress code for employees. I'll at least keep the ball cap off for the flight now though.  

srbmod

Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:01 pm

Right around the time I went to work for ASA in 2000, Delta loosened their non-rev dress code and allowed jeans and shorts in coach, but not in first/business. It didn't matter to me, as I always flew (even when I non-revved on FL) wearing some sort of khaki-type pants and a buttoned down shirt or polo shirt and maybe a sweater (Even today nearly 13 years after leaving the industry, I rarely fly in jeans and never would I fly wearing shorts.). I do recall that on some of the airlines we had buddy pass access on were pretty loose in regards to NRSA passengers.

It used to be easy to spot airline employees or friends/family of an airline employee flying non-rev as they were often the best dressed people on the plane due to the airlines' NRSA dress codes. Some of the NRSA dress code was stuck deep in the past, as it wasn't too many years ago that men had to wear jackets and ties in order to fly non-rev (Some had loosened it to a shirt and sport coat.).

TUGMASTER

Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:05 pm

Fully agree with what SRBMOD has said...

You were always so so overdressed in First....
People either new you were NRSA , or though you were going to a wedding or funeral.!

RDUDDJI

Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:33 pm

I fly revenue first occasionally (more often I get upgraded), and I often wear jeans. However, I always wear a collared shirt (usually a short shirt polo type) and black or brown loafers.

I really don't care what non-revs or anyone wears as long as they are respectful.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

srbmod

Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:03 pm

Quoting TUGMASTER (Reply 9):
You were always so so overdressed in First....
People either new you were NRSA , or though you were going to a wedding or funeral.!

Or you were a Federal Air Marshal.....   

Quoting RDUDDJI (Reply 10):

I fly revenue first occasionally (more often I get upgraded), and I often wear jeans. However, I always wear a collared shirt (usually a short shirt polo type) and black or brown loafers.

I really don't care what non-revs or anyone wears as long as they are respectful.

When you're paying for it on your own dime, wear whatever you want, within reason (The problem is that for some, their definition of within reason is not in the same neighborhood as everyone else.). When you're an airline employee making use of some of your employee benefits, you are in a way representing the airline even it people don't know you're flying non-rev, hence the dress code. I'm sure some non-airline companies have dress code standards for employees traveling on business as well. The airlines have been loosening their dress codes pretty much in response to a general dressing down that society has undergone.

drmlnr1

Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:59 am

As a former AA employee, I must say this is bittersweet. It is time for change, but I loved when you had to dress up for flight. Keep the dress code for F
Flying is relaxing!

bond007

Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:32 am

First Class

"of the best quality : of the highest excellence"

Pretty meaningless today!

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

PagoFlyer

Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:52 am

We still dress business casual..sport coat etc. And for sure we make our "buddy pass" people do the same.

kq747

Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:28 am

I knew this would happen eventually and I am kind of saddened by it. I remember being a Non rev when I was only 8yo travelling with my whole family from MCO to MIA on AA and since it was spring in Florida, we were in short ( I guess mum didn't think the rule applied in Florida) and were denied boarding and we let them keep our checked bags and took cab to the nearest department store to buy trousers etc. Rushed back to MCO and obviously missed our original flight. Waited all day on standby for another flight and we finally got one in the evening which had a technical fault on take-off. Not being optimistic about getting another flight we drove instead because we had to catch a cruise the next morning. In that moment as a child, I hated the dress up rule. I(We) obviously never made the same mistake again and because of that, I always business casual for flights till today (even though I haven't flown non rev in years since mum retired). My sister on the other hand is overjoyed now that she can wear pj's and flip flops on flights and regularly does. I guess it's just part of my "dream" that there is still glamour and elegance in flying.

laca773

Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:22 am

Quoting JoePatroni707 (Thread starter):
From today American Airlines has relaxed the dress code for non rev employees. Employees will be allowed to wear jeans in FIrst Class and athletic shoes as well. In economy employees will be allowed to wear shorts.
Personally I grew up old school were a tie was required to even get in economy.
Quoting goboeing (Reply 5):
Who cares what non-revs are wearing as long as they don't look like a total slob.

Non revs are representing their airline when non-reving. I can see relaxing it to adjust to the times, but some things should be banned. Flip flops, t-shirts, cut off shorts......
Flying in F/P, J/C, should see nice jeans and shirt. In Y, shorts and sneakers are acceptable if they are of appropriate length , along with a collared shirt.

Relaxing some of these rules really hasn't worked out in all avenues of travel. Some airline employees look shameful coming on and off a/c.

Francoflier

Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:16 am

AA is not the only airline relaxing the dress codes for non revs.

It is just a sign of times.
It is not unusual these days that the non rev in a first or business cabin is the best dressed pax in there.
Money doesn't equal taste or manners anymore...
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

rwy04lga

Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:49 am

Quoting francoflier (Reply 16):
Money doesn't equal taste or manners anymore...

Non-revving to ATL back from GIG in Business Elite on Delta (at the time, on a buddy pass), I saw a man dressed in tacky shorts, open shirt, and very old sandals. He stretched his legs out and put his feet on the bulkhead. That said....all of the FA's came up and greeted him, it turned out that he was a well-known regular who paid for this flight several times a year. Meanwhile, back in 2B, I'm in my tailored business suit (per my buddy's instructions).
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

JAGflyer

Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:10 pm

When I fly I prefer to wear a collared shirt at the minimum. It just makes me feel like I present a better image that may help in getting what I want (extra snacks, drinks, upgrades, etc). The only time I have worn shorts onboard is when I was returning from the Dominican Republic and it would have been very uncomfortable to wear jeans/pants as it was 34C and humid (and yes, I was on staff travel benefits).

As for NRSA passengers, I don't see why they should have to "dress up"? They are not supposed to be singled out to the paying passengers and "dressing up" can do that. So long as they wear a shirt with short/long sleeves and shorts/pants that are at least knee length I don't see an issue.

[Edited 2013-11-06 04:11:23]
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

andyinpit

Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:28 pm

The only time I truly cared about dressing up was leaving LHR and someone stole my dress shoes (yes, really) out of my hotel room. I didn't realize it until leaving for the airport, so all I had was my Adidas Samba's. My plan was to buy a pair at the airport, but the cheapest pair I found were $100+ and I wasn't about to drop that kind of coin. To their credit, the UA agents were very strict to the dress code, and even though there were open seats in First and Business, I had to sit in Economy.

They did mention to the purser my situation, and they brought me back an extra Business Class lunch, much to the rolling eyes of the other Economy pax.

The only time I really travel now is in the jumpseat for work, and we have to dress in full business attire, so that's even more bothersome. But hell, I'll wear a tux and clown shoes to be able to sit up front!

DexSwart

Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:34 pm

When I fly International F Class, I see people in shorts and tee shirts nowadays. I'm firmly in Generation Y but my mostly old fashioned South African parents always dressed well and so do I. But I hold firm that jeans and a neat shirt are some of the most comfortable and convenient to travel in. I wouldn't mind seeing-or not as the case may be-a non revver in comfortable attire. It's fine, I see.

I believe there was some controversy when BA asked a revenue paying passenger to cover up his tattoos to fly in F. I think it was a band member?
Durban. Melbourne. Denver. Hong Kong.

AA777223

Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:08 pm

Yeah, I often fly in premium classes, though always paid (cash or miles/cash), and I do so mostly internationally (I flew 22,000 miles on twelve flights last month; hardly special for this crowd, but in the mix). I am going to fly comfortably. If you want me to sleep on a plane, wearing jeans and a t-shirt or polo with tennis shoes, doesn't seem wrong to me. Most airlines give you pajamas now, which I think is eloquent to this point. I always wear closed shoes and pants of natural fibers (admittedly for safety reasons) when flying, but I don't feel as if those who dress differently are better or worse than I am. I think those who dress shabbily usually do so in public situations beyond the airplane, and that is symptomatic of a societal trend or their poor taste in general.

At the end of the day, I lean towards the "if it's decent and clean, it's fine" camp, especially on longhaul, and as I paying customer, I don't mind similar rules for non-revs.
A318/19/20/21, A300, A332/3, A343/6, A388, L1011, DC-9, DC-10, MD-11, MD-80, B722, B732/3/4/5/7/8/9, B743/4/4M, B752/3, B762/3/4, B772/E/W, B788/9, F-100, CRJ-200/700/900, ERJ-135/145/175/190, DH-8, ATR-72, DO-328, BAE-146

seahawk

Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:22 pm

Jeans make sense. They are comfortable and a qite safe material in case of an accident. And if they are not cut they are accepted dress code in many sectors today.

rwy04lga

Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:35 pm

Quoting AA777223 (Reply 21):
pants of natural fibers (admittedly for safety reasons)
Quoting seahawk (Reply 22):
safe material in case of an accident.

What's so safe about them?
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

CALMSP

Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:58 pm

people no longer dress up for church, no reason to dress up to sit on a plane for hours.

Acey559

Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:20 pm

I'm happy about this for really one reason. As non revenue passengers we are supposed to blend in and not call attention to ourselves. Being required to dress up makes it easy to spot a nonrev from a mile away (in my opinion) because of how people typically dress on planes now. I'm happy we still do have to look decent but I prefer to blend in more.

KPWMSpotter

Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:30 pm

Quoting rwy04lga (Reply 23):

Artificial fibers (polyester, nylon, etc) tend to melt when exposed to heat or fire. In a crash/fire scenario, that can result in the clothing melting and adhering to people, making for some nasty burns. Cotton and natural fiber clothing will char and disintegrate; while it won't necessarily protect you from fire, it won't be responsible for exacerbating the burns.

That's not to say that jeans are better than khakis or dress slacks in terms of safety, but certainly better than gym shorts or leggings.
I reject your reality and substitute my own...

bond007

Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:44 pm

Quoting DexSwart (Reply 20):
I hold firm that jeans and a neat shirt are some of the most comfortable and convenient to travel in.

Always find it interesting that folks think jeans are more comfortable than a pair or khakis! Personal preference I guess, but I'd rather be in light looser fitting pants, than generally tighter fitting heavy denim anyday.

Quoting Acey559 (Reply 25):
Being required to dress up
Quoting calmsp (Reply 24):
people no longer dress up for church
Quoting JAGflyer (Reply 18):
I don't see why they should have to "dress up"?

Amusing that wearing a collared shirt and khakis is now 'dressing up'!

I visit numerous business of all kinds, and most folks wear smart khakis/dockers, and dress shirts (perhaps polos). Very few are just in jeans and polos.

Quoting JAGflyer (Reply 18):
They are not supposed to be singled out to the paying passengers and "dressing up" can do that.

You must fly on different flights than I do then. If there are any business folks on the aircraft, often the majority in my case, they are almost all wearing khakis/dockers and dress shirts/polos.

I agree international is a little different, but you hardly stand out in business casual anywhere.

I think the under-dressing of airline pax is a little over-stated, except for flights to vacation destinations perhaps.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

tu154m

Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:16 pm

Why in the world would anyone get dressed up to sit in a seat??? Doesn't matter if it is an hour flight or a 10hr flight, I want to be comfortable!!!! Suit and tie is anything but comfortable!!! Doesn't matter if you are a revenue or non-rev passenger, flying now is a means to get somewhere, that has been opened up to just about everyone, thanks to low fares, the internet, and the need to get from point A to point B. Plus, it's not like in the 50s or 60s when there was actually service on board!!! Nowdays, at least on US carriers, you are most likely getting service from somebody's overweight grandmother!!!(j/k, but you get my point!!!)
CEOs should swim with cement flippers!

AA777223

Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:27 pm

Quoting rwy04lga (Reply 23):
Quoting KPWMSpotter (Reply 26):

Artificial fibers (polyester, nylon, etc) tend to melt when exposed to heat or fire. In a crash/fire scenario, that can result in the clothing melting and adhering to people, making for some nasty burns. Cotton and natural fiber clothing will char and disintegrate; while it won't necessarily protect you from fire, it won't be responsible for exacerbating the burns.

That's not to say that jeans are better than khakis or dress slacks in terms of safety, but certainly better than gym shorts or leggings.

Absolutely, and compared to wearing shorts, the full pants to provide a small measure (though certainly limited) of protection from fire, debris, etc. If you are in an emergency situation, scrambling over wreckage or even just on the rough fabric of the slides it would be welcome to have yourself as covered as possible. Many would say I'm paranoid, but I figure, it looks a little nicer and if I need it, I will be glad I am prepared!
A318/19/20/21, A300, A332/3, A343/6, A388, L1011, DC-9, DC-10, MD-11, MD-80, B722, B732/3/4/5/7/8/9, B743/4/4M, B752/3, B762/3/4, B772/E/W, B788/9, F-100, CRJ-200/700/900, ERJ-135/145/175/190, DH-8, ATR-72, DO-328, BAE-146

vikkyvik

Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:58 pm

Quoting kq747 (Reply 14):
I guess it's just part of my "dream" that there is still glamour and elegance in flying.

There is still a glamo(u)r and elegance to it. It's not found in the clothes people wear. It's found in the fact that you're freaking flying. And no one, no matter what they're wearing, can take that experience away from me.

Quoting laca773 (Reply 15):
Relaxing some of these rules really hasn't worked out in all avenues of travel. Some airline employees look shameful coming on and off a/c.

Perhaps. But for the airline, is it costing them business, a.k.a. money?

Quoting bond007 (Reply 27):
Very few are just in jeans and polos.

I'm in jeans and a polo, or jeans and a t-shirt.  
Quoting tu154m (Reply 28):

Pretty much agree, though minus several exclamation points.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

bond007

Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:04 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 30):
Quoting bond007 (Reply 27):
Very few are just in jeans and polos.

I'm in jeans and a polo, or jeans and a t-shirt.

...and I'm not. It's irrelevant to my point.

Jimbo