Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Birdwatching
Topic Author

Spending A Night In Arvidsjaur, Sweden

Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:25 pm

I'm going to fly up to Arvidsjaur in late January to log that classic ATP that still flies around NextJet's network on Swedish domestic routes. I could also do Lycksele but AJR comes at the same price and it's a 4-segment itinerary instead of 2-segment (it's via LYC).

So anyway, here's a tough one: I'm flying in pretty late, 9PM, flying back out at 6AM. There are only about 2 hotels in the city which are ridiculously expensive. No hostel, no AirBNB, not even a cheap rental car to sleep in (80 EUR for that one night). I've done this kind of stuff many times before, sleep in the terminal, or walk out the airport and set up the tent, or just go downtown and figure out a way to spend the night. Most of my college year backpacking trips were like this. But this is in the freaking middle of winter in a small town northern Sweden, we're not talking some beach in Mozambique. The terminal is most likely closed overnight. So I'm really clueless about what to do. Spend some seriously big $$$ and get a room at the hotel, or trust in the Swedish hospitality and just travel up there and see what happens? Let myself get run over by a car and check into the hospital? Or just go downtown, find a pub and keep awake till the early morning? (this is a Sunday night)

Your travel experience suggestions please...  

Soren   
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

flyboy_se

RE: Spending A Night In Arvidsjaur, Sweden

Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:58 pm

Try http://www.heidi-lodge.se/
They have rooms for 600 SEK including breakfast.
Trust me, you dont want to spend a night in a tent in January.
As for the bar, as this is a tiny town, expect most things to be shut.

Good luck and looking forward to a trip report  
I prefer to be crazy and happy rather than normal and bitter

Birdwatching
Topic Author

Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:04 pm

Quoting flyboy_se (Reply 1):
Try http://www.heidi-lodge.se/
They have rooms for 600 SEK including breakfast.

Thanks for your suggestion! Unfiortunately they are 40km from the airport, I have only 9 hours between my flights and they offer airport transfers for 400SEK each way. Round trip that is even more than the night, and I'm only getting very few hours of sleep. I'm not sure if this is worth it...

Soren   
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

airtrainer

Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:50 pm

Maybe Couchsurfing could be an option ?
Have a nice trip anyway  
Life is short : eat dessert first !

larshjort

Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:27 am

There is apparently a hostel called Silvercross45 I don't know why their website isn't working or even if they are open in January But hey advertise for 250 SEK a night in "downtown" Arvidsjaur. Try and call the
Phone number is: 070-6442862
http://www.allarum.se/visit/silvercross45
http://www.stugsidan.se/index.php?res_id=4548
http://www.silvercross45.se/

What about Hotel Edström? Rooms from 1000 SEK and you even get free internet included, try and call them as well since their online booking engine goes from 2008-2012.
http://www.hotelledstrom.se/

Reservation: +46(0)960 171 00
E-postadress: [email protected]

Adress:
Hotell Edström
Stationsgatan 9
SE-933 32
Arvidsjaur, Sweden
139, 306, 319, 320, 321, 332, 34A, AN2, AT4, AT5, AT7, 733, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 146, AR1, BH2, CN1, CR2, DH1, DH3, DH4,

TUGMASTER

Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:45 am

Have flown this route, for the exact same reasons.... ARN_LYC_AJR_ARN
In Arvidsjaur, in the middle on winter... there is nothing.
It is used by car companies for cold weather testing.
And the pizza restaurant / bar / only night time venue in town , closes pretty early IIRC.

Spoke to the AJR based cabin crew on the way up, and the topic of conversation was not the usual,
but that one of them had just bought a new ski-doo..........!!!!!!

email Nextjet , tell them your reason for your flight, and your problem and i'm sure they will swap your flights around, so you can perhaps take an earlier flight, and return straight away from AJR.

HOWEVER...if you like your snow... enjoy the 10ft drifts, and have fun.

HT

Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:11 pm

No chance to make the flight between ARN and AJR (or v/v) a oneway, connection to / from a car manufacturer charter from/to Germany ?
AB apparently no longer is flying this season; they did last season and made for good routings HAJ - AJR / AJR - LYC- ARN.
From what I have found so far, this year Germania is flying but I have found no option to book seats on them as an individual so far.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

MEA-707

Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:55 pm

If you didn't book your tickets, what I once did in one day, and you might like is fly out to Vilhelmina, take the bus there to Lycksele or the other way around. That way you fly on guaranteed two different ATP frames. You need taxi's to the centre but there are a few buses a day between these towns. You might get a bus from Arvidsjaur to somewhere else with more options and catch a different airframe from another city the next day.
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

Birdwatching
Topic Author

Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:34 pm

Thank you all so much for your help and ideas! I think I have the perfect plan now. MEA-707 gave me the excellent idea of looking at other options besides Arvidsjaur. Turns out the Hemavan flight is ATP too (I'm currently waiting for an email from Nextjet's call center to confirm if this is true or at least probable on my dates). The flight is 4-segments again (via Vilhelmina), and the best thing is that it's 500 SEK cheaper and for exactly that much I can get a hostel that is just a minute from the airport! Apparently the area is a very busy ski resort. So it's all working out perfectly now, and I'll make my booking once I get a response from Nextjet!

Thank you all for your replies!
Sören