Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jumpjets
Topic Author

LON To NYC And LA In One Trip - Which Way Round?

Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:43 am

I am planning a work trip to the states in late Jan/early Feb2014 from London going to both New York and LA.

From a flying perspective I am planning TATL to sample the BA B788 and A388 and within the US the AA A321.

My question relates to the order of travel. Do I go LHR-EWR; JFK-LAX and LAX to LHR or do I fly LHR to LAX and do the rest of the trip in reverse - from a work perspective it doesn't at this stage matter so I have a free hand.

Two of the issues that bumble around in my head are:

What are the arrival and departure experiences at EWR and LAX like respectively? - which international arrivals are likely to be least hassle and which is the better airport to spend a couple of pre-departure hours at before the flight home?

The other question is, which routing will give me the better flying experience [I will be in Y+ on BA] - a long daylight flight to LAX and a short night flight from EWR or vice versa. I think looking at the AA schedules I will manage a daylight flight whichever way I travel across the US.

I know most of this stuff comes down to personal preference but as I have no experience of EWR and no recent experience of LAX some input from anyone who has used these airports would be most welcome.

Thanks

mhkansan

RE: LON To NYC And LA In One Trip - Which Way Roun

Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:34 am

I'll admit, the meal service on AA's red eyes isn't great, so unless you plan to waste a day doing LAX-JFK in the daylight, I'd do JFK-LAX and get lots of extra time in both cities to do things.

AirAfreak

Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:54 am

In my personal opinion, you have a better chance to truly relax on-board a London - LAX sector versus the "rushed" Europe - NE USA sectors, so I would choose a flight to LAX and then fly eastbound to JFK and onwards to London. The NY-London gives you a wider range of departures to cater to your day in New York or perhaps a closer evening arrival into London to quickly adjust your body clock to the local time (GMT).

Just my opinion and I hope you enjoy your flights with OneWorld!

Bon Voyage,

AirAfreak  
Korean Air | Excellence in Flight.

aklrno

Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:07 am

Quoting jumpjets (Thread starter):
which is the better airport to spend a couple of pre-departure hours at before the flight home?

You might enjoy a few warm hours outside at LA. No guarantee that time of the year, but it will almost certainly be warmer than NYC or London. If you like plane spotting you could go to In-n-out or the Encounter if you have time.

02hilliert

Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:58 am

As a frequent traveller to the US, I personally would recommend travelling LHR-NYC-LAX-LHR, for two reasons;
1) I think you suffer less from jet lag on the "holiday" part of your trip, albeit you may suffer on return!
2) You benefit from a time change on the first two legs, so depart UK early morning, arrive NYC by lunchtime, depart NYC early morning, arrive LAX by lunchtime...
Surely that means better sightseeing than departing LAX late, arriving early in JFK, possibly not having slept on a "short" 5hr flight?
Next Up: Back to the US - Charlotte & Kansas City