Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

zrs70
Topic Author

US Airports With Dedicated International Terminals

Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:23 pm

Curious..... Which US Airports have dedicated International terminal buildings that handle all customs for arrivals as well as the majority of departures (of international carriers)

A few come to mind:

BOS
ORD
SFO
21 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2021

BNAOWB

RE: US Airports With Dedicated International Termi

Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:13 pm

ATL has the Maynard Jackson international terminal (attached to Concourse F) which handles customs for non-connecting arrivals. Outbound international departures are split between Concourse F and Concourse E. Several interesting facts about this Maynard Jackson international terminal:
1) While connected to all of the concourses and the domestic terminal via the underground "Plane Train", the road journey from the international terminal to the domestic terminal is about 10 minutes (surely the longest driving time between terminals in the U.S.?).
2) The international and domestic terminals are accessed from the city by two different interstate highways (I-75 and I-85, respectively)
3) The international terminal is not directly connected to public transportation (MARTA) as the domestic terminal is. But, frequent shuttles operate between the two terminals.
4) As long as a domestic passenger has no baggage to check, he/she can pass through security at the international terminal (which often has dramatically shorter lines than the domestic terminal).

TonyBurr

Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:57 pm

I do not think SFO's international terminal is just for international flights. I have arrived at that terminal on UA from a domestic flight. I think JetBlue flies out of that terminal and they are not international flights.

swedenflyer

Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:23 pm

I believe that BWI also has a dedicated international terminal, with flights to PUJ, MBJ, AUA, CUN, NAS, LHR, and FRA.
FlyingFinn76, abrelosojos

Ytraveller

Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:33 pm

LAS

Terminal 2 used to cater to solely international airlines (I don't think any US-based airline flies internationally from LAS), save for Hawaiian Airlines and some other airlines. Now that the terminal's been replaced by Terminal 3, still all international airlines/flights operate only through that terminal, plus some domestic airlines (Sun Country, Westjet, etc.).

Cubsrule

Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:42 pm

So you want to know about multi-terminal airports with only one FIS facility? That list is pretty short.

SEA
SFO
SAN
LAS (albeit with lots of domestic and transborder flights in the terminal)
PHX
DFW
ORD
TPA (if you count the airsides as separate terminals)
BOS
Edit: Forgot BWI

That may be it.

[Edited 2013-12-02 16:12:43]
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

TWA772LR

Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:04 am

Terminal D in IAH caters to all Intl airlines in Houston save for AC.
It also has a centralized FIS building for terminals D and E.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

modesto2

Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:05 pm

Quoting TonyBurr (Reply 2):
I do not think SFO's international terminal is just for international flights. I have arrived at that terminal on UA from a domestic flight. I think JetBlue flies out of that terminal and they are not international flights.

True - SFO's international terminal handles both domestic and international flights. B6 and HA both operate from that terminal. However, all international flights must use that terminal as it's the only facility with FIS at SFO.

tyler81190

Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:41 am

Then why no International Transit lounges? Like AMS or CDG or NRT or pick any other world hub... I would think it would be easier for say S. America to Japan etc to be in transit than to actually enter the US