Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Gonzalo
Topic Author

Celebrating New Year Midflight

Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:29 pm

Hi all. First, I wish a Happy New Year for everyone.

On a related topic, do you have any experience to share about celebrating the transition to a new year at cruise level?

I have never been in a flight at such a special moment, I guess the Flight Attendants would bring some extra bottles of Champagne for the ocassion ?

Rgds.
G.

bananaboy

RE: Celebrating New Year Midflight

Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:54 pm

I wish.

Have only been in the air once over New Year - LAX/LHR with UA. There was no mention nor any additional services on board. It was just like any other flight.

Maybe with some airlines and in F or C perhaps....?

Mark

777klm

Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:11 pm

I looked it up on Youtube:

Virgin Atlantic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peZXpWA9pCc
SAA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxe21cIB2Os

Happy new year to all of you!

L1011Lover

Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:42 pm

Quoting Gonzalo (Thread starter):
I have never been in a flight at such a special moment, I guess the Flight Attendants would bring some extra bottles of Champagne for the ocassion ?

I've been a flight attendant for 17 years now, but I also have only ever been in the air once on New Years... but that was really a special occasion as this was in 1999/2000... remember all the fuss about it back then...

I flew for Condor at the time and was working a POP-LEJ flight with 35 passengers... Of the 35 passengers 7 were relatives/friends of the working crew...

The funny thing I remember was that when we taxied to take-off the safety video suddenly stopped and had to be re-started ... it was a little eerie... but of course it turned out to be a totally uneventful flight except for the fact that we flight attendants wore funny New Years hats and we served extra rounds of champagne... we celebrated only once at Midnight German time as the majority of passengers and crew were German... that was shortly after dinner service was completed... so it was the most convenient time... We just made an announcement and wished everybody a happy new year and of course happy Millennium back then... Hard to believe it's been 14 years already! Time flies!!!

Of course the famous German TV comedy sketch "Dinner for One" which is a New Years cult classic in Germany and most German speaking countries and is broadcasted by various channels as an integral component of the New Year's Eve TV schedule was part of our inflight entertainment program that night.

Happy New Year to all a.netters

skywaymanaz

Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:52 pm

QANTAS 2903 celebrated the New Year today over Antarctica. It is a special charter though MEL-MEL via Antarctica.

CXfirst

Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:54 pm

2 years ago I flew QF from LHR to HKG over the new year. No additional service, and nothing to commemorate it. The only mention was from the Captain making a joke about expected arrival time being next year.

-CXfirst

CXA330300

Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:04 pm

I remember some chocolate being given out on a CO TLV-EWR run for New Year's 2010. For many Jews, the Gregorian New Year is not really a thing that's celebrated with much fanfare, so CO didn't go overboard on the flight. Still nice to get chocolate though!

dfambro

Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:09 pm

I was on a flight that took off from HNL just before midnight on 12/31/1999, headed back to the US mainland. There was no announcement made or special service, but some passengers celebrated the moment. As we climbed out, you could see fireworks being shot off from Waikiki.

There were also plenty of Y2K jokes about planes falling our of the sky, but by that point it was clear that aviation was not having Y2K issues.

B747forever

Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:29 pm

Yes, flew BA LAX-LHR over New Year. No mention of the occasion besides the pilot whising us a safe and happy 2007 once we landed at LHR.

GT4EZY

Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:58 pm

In 8 years of flying for a living I have never flown over New Year, I tend to be on leave. Colleagues have said however that trying to get even a hint of celebration from the pax is like getting blood from a stone.

anstar

Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:08 pm

I doubt it - it is just another flight!

Quoting GT4EZY (Reply 9):
In 8 years of flying for a living I have never flown over New Year, I tend to be on leave. Colleagues have said however that trying to get even a hint of celebration from the pax is like getting blood from a stone.

Exactly - those choosing t fly on NYE likely don't have any special feeling for the evening or event - otherwise they would not be on the aircraft.

Escapehere

Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:21 am

Flew QF108 JFK-LAX-SYD on NYE in 2010. The flight crew came around offering Champagne, even to those in Y. Can't remember which leg it was on. It was specifically offered as a NYE drink - "Would you like a champagne to celebrate the new year?".

A346Dude

Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:37 am

What time zone's new year do you celebrate? The one you left, the one you're going to, or the one you happen to cross? What if you cross the new year more than once in flight?

SCL767

Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:52 am

I guess the Flight Attendants would bring some extra bottles of Champagne for the ocassion ?

Yesterday, LAN specially catered all international flights departing after 11:30 with extra bottles of Champagne for both premium and economy passengers.

¡Feliz Año Nuevo A Todos!

[Edited 2013-12-31 23:53:21]

a380787

Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:06 am

Quoting A346Dude (Reply 12):

What time zone's new year do you celebrate? The one you left, the one you're going to, or the one you happen to cross? What if you cross the new year more than once in flight?

You know the gear is up and locked when it takes full throttle to taxi to the terminal.

Fly westbound and celebrate it every time the current time zone is midnight =)

Too bad there aren't any daytime NRTHNL flights I'm aware of ... You could literally celebrate new year in Tokyo, fly out in the morning , and arrive in Hawaii the year before and celebrate again

kith

Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:34 am

Enjoyed watching fireworks above DTW and served complimentary sparkling white wine on a much delayed UA (GoJet?) CR7 ORD-SYR back in 2003/4. Truly memorable and better than watching the clock tick over in the drive from the airport as planned!

DocLightning

Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:45 am

On a related topic, do you have any experience to share about celebrating the transition to a new year at cruise level?

I was on a NW flight from DEN to DTW (I think). There was an announcement telling us that we'd passed the New Year's hour and wishing us a Happy New Year. Way down below on the ground, tiny little blossoms of colored light bloomed. Fireworks...from 7 miles in the air.

Pretty cool.

Iflymidwexprss

Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:49 am

I spent New Year's Eve 2011-2012 in J on a BA 744 en route ORD-LHR. It was something I'd always wanted to do, so before the flight I looked at previous flight trackers and worked out that we'd be roughly somewhere over Newfoundland at midnight local time.
Other than wearing party hats when we boarded there was no mention of anything from the crew, but I ordered a large glass of champagne and had my own (quiet) countdown in my seat. A bit anticlimactic, but still a fun and memorable way to ring in the New Year...

DexSwart

Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:52 am

I found old photos from when my dad and I flew an SA 747 from Zurich to JNB. There were 7 people on board, excluding the crew. We boarded and the flight attendant said "Sit wherever you want" as my dad wrote in his diary.

And yes, there was a party. I'll see if if an find the photos again and scan them in.

pugsley

Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:00 am

Qantas offered all customers Australian Sparkling wine in both business and economy on all domestic flights after 1600 yesterday (31st December) to celebrate New Year. It was a promotion with Yellowglen, an Australian sparkling wine producer. 750ml bottles of Vintage Prosseco were specially loaded for the celebrations!

parisien

Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:14 am

Happy new year 2014, first of all.
I celebrated new year in the air on 2 occassions.
A long time ago on United SFO to CDG. We celebrated New year twice in the air (Paris New year after departing, and then California time before landing in CDG). We got served champagne (for the first celebration) and this broke the ice with the pax sitting next to you, if you travel alone. The second new year (California time) was announced by the crew too (don't remember a second champagne). I was in Y.
Then, Air Tahiti Nui from LAX to CDG. The crew distributed streamers and all and there was a bright and festive banner saying Happy New Year by the rear galley. The crew then wished everyone a happy New Year. The pilot also came into the Y cabin and individually greeted each of the pax (flight was not full though, unlike the UA flight).
It was kinda fun, probably the only chance you will have of celebrating new year with perfect strangers.

outbackair

Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:35 am

Just been on Qatar from PER to DOH over NY (QR901) last night. Captain did wish all a happy NY before take off, then at some point in the middle of the IFE a pop-up wished all Happy New Year, which blocked part of the movie for a minute or so.
In the '80s flew JNB-FIH (Kinshasa)-ZRH on a Swissair DC-10-30. Problem was that they had to do THREE new year rounds of champagne as some people wanted South African NY, others Zaire (Congo) NY while others decided to go for Swiss NY. All in good humour with much bubbly flowing!
My third NY was Jetstar from PER to MEL, arriving just in time for fireworks over Melbourne. Wonderful view over the city.

Salukipilot

Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:10 pm

Well if it helps I just got off a JetBlue flight from LGB to IAD.

Commuting sucks and I was asleep.

Happy new year.

einsteinboricua

Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:44 pm

A friend of mine started the countdown last night on a flight to SJU. Needless to say, with a flight full of Puerto Ricans, it's no wonder the flight attendants gave him some wine for livening up the flight.

sierra3tango

Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:23 pm

Flew a GF overnight LHR/BAH around 98/99, it was half empty & we got a glass of bubbly

Flew a BA overnight LHR/DXB 2013/14 & only got a happy NY on landing & nothing else

In both cases the fare was about 50% of the same flight 24 hours later!

jumpjets

Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:19 pm

I've done it a couple of times from LHR to SIN and KUL - on the SIN fight there was a cabin announcement somewhere over central Asia telling us that on the ground they were just celebrating new year but nothing special on either flight and certainly no free bubbly!

fbgdavidson

Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:29 pm

My mother flew IAD-LHR on BA in Club World for NYE 2012 into 2013, said that not much fanfare was made at all and that as she settled into bed she was wished a happy new year and asked if she wanted a glass of champagne to celebrate the moment.