zrs70
Topic Author

Changing Tickets In 1995

Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:04 pm

Before etickets, changing a plane ticket took a lot more than a phone call. We had to either send our paper ticket back my mail or take it to the ticket counter, either CTO or airport.

Most of the time, the ticket would need to be rewritten. Often, the tickets were hand written on carbon paper. This required meticulous calculations of taxes.

More than once, the agent would not want to have to deal with all the figures, and would instead place a sticker over the original flight segment and handwrite the new segment info, without touching the existing fare calculation.

Incredible that today, we can all duties on our own buy out the Airline website.
20 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2020

OA260

RE: Changing Tickets In 1995

Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:09 pm

Quoting zrs70 (Thread starter):
and would instead place a sticker over the original flight segment and handwrite the new segment info,

Arr yes the good old Reval stickers ! Airlines lost lots of revenue on those as there was limited ways to check if the correct fees had indeed been paid. These days errors are a lot rarer with E Tkts and E payments for changes etc...

MaverickM11

Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:10 pm

Before etickets, changing a plane ticket took a lot more than a phone call. We had to either send our paper ticket back my mail or take it to the ticket counter, either CTO or airport.

Most of the time, the ticket would need to be rewritten. Often, the tickets were hand written on carbon paper. This required meticulous calculations of taxes.

Golden Age 
E pur si muove -Galileo

BD338

Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:38 pm

More than once, the agent would not want to have to deal with all the figures, and would instead place a sticker over the original flight segment and handwrite the new segment info, without touching the existing fare calculation.

Incredible that today, we can all duties on our own buy out the Airline website.

And all that for a change fee of $25 or less. Now that it is easier and simpler to do and often without any human input from the airline, it costs $200+ on most US Airlines. Ah, progress indeed.

bharathkv

Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:09 pm

Quoting BD338 (Reply 3):
And all that for a change fee of $25 or less. Now that it is easier and simpler to do and often without any human input from the airline, it costs $200+ on most US Airlines. Ah, progress indeed.

Yeah. I feel airlines have figured out how to make money through innovative ways. Some airlines do not refund you the money once you cancel. Instead they have something like a "wallet" concept where they store your money to be used for future travel. Worst part is that the airline also make sure you book using the stored money within a year or so.

A333MSPtoAMS

Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:34 pm

Quoting BD338 (Reply 3):

I know, right. I just went to change the routing of a ticket, because of a potential misconnect, United was going to charge me $300 to change the ticket.... seems a bit, excessive IMHO.
As of Dec 2019 I've flown 457,440 miles on 270 flights on 54 airplane types with 60 airlines traveling thru 104 airports. I've visited 60 countries.
http://cronkflies.com