Frontier Airlines
Jetblue Airways
Southwest Airlines
Spirit Airlines
United Airlines
U.S. Airways
Virgin America

Any other U.S. airline I am forgetting.

Mine is AA. I may work for Delta, but I grew up in the DFW area and I've mostly flown AA all my life.

byronicle6

RE: Favorite U.S. Airline And Why

Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:48 am

I have only flown with 4 but my favourite was Southwest by a long shot. Worst was American.
Keen to try JetBlue on an upcoming USA trip, and Virgin America & Hawaiian also look like decent carriers

Quoting DeltaXNA (Thread starter):
Any other U.S. airline I am forgetting.

Alaska, Hawaiian, Airtran
Travel is my thing

dc9northwest

Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:20 pm

I like:

Delta (always treated me well, including during missed connections, etc)
Virgin America (a very "cool" airline)
JetBlue (a nice little carrier, no complaints)
Alaska (my least favorite out of these 4... but still above average)

Mediocre:

American (delays upon delays, but generally OK staff)
Southwest (I just don't see the big difference others see between them and other US carriers)
US Airways (Never had a good, nor bad, experience with them)

I dislike:

United (I don't wanna talk about their ORD customer service after a missed connection...)

Never flew:

Allegiant (I don't see myself using them)
AirTran (They'll likely go away before I get a chance)
Frontier (Meh, not after the path they've taken)
Hawaiian (Wouldn't mind, but I've been to Hawaii already, so it wouldn't be soon)
Spirit (Won't completely discount it, but not my first choice)
Sun Country (Hm, not many routes...)

Coal

Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:26 pm

LOVE:

Virgin America: I've flown them a few times SFO/LAX - FLL and they were fantastic. Fresh and cool new cabins, great IFE, OK food, and really good FAs.

JetBlue: I have flown them Florida - West Cost and Florida - New York a lot and, same as VX, love their IFE and their hard product overall.

NEITHER LIKE NOR DISLIKE:
AirTran: Haven't flown them in a long time, but I remember them being OK.

United: I fly them a lot between Singapore and Hong Kong / Tokyo. The Singapore- and Narita-based crews were great, but now they're mostly staffed with Guam-based American crew, who are all mediocre. At least the interiors on the 772 are refreshed and IFE is OK.

MEDIOCRE:
Delta: Haven't flown them in years (close to 10 years), but all my memories of DL are of antique MD80/90 airplanes, no food, etc.

American: I've flown AA a lot, mostly non-rev, but also as a paying customer. I think they're changing, but they never really impressed me, except once flying F from LAX to NRT, the purser was fantastic, and on another occasion flying J from PVG to ORD, the cabin manager came and thanked us for flying AA. Otherwise, always found them well below average. But I think they're changing.

HATE:
US Airways: I really have nothing good to say about US. Late flights, old planes, basically no service, FAs who don't want to work as FAs (or any service industry for that matter), and the non-stop selling of food and mileage program over the PA even on redeye flights. I'm very glad US is leaving Star Alliance and that SQ now has a good codeshare agreement with VX.

Cheers
Coal
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-KIX | HD UKB-CTS | NH CTS-NRT | SQ NRT-SIN | AK SIN-DPS-SIN

dc9northwest

Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:40 pm

Quoting Coal (Reply 3):
antique MD80/90 airplanes

Mmmm... I'm in love! It's excellent to fly DL because I can always find a cool aircraft type to fly on.

Quoting Coal (Reply 3):
old planes

The older, the better. I wish airlines were still flying DC-8s.

readytotaxi

Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:15 pm

That old CO BusinessFirst on the 767 across the pond in the 90's. Loved that single seat in the middle of the plane and the meal service was really wonderful.   
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

jetblueguy22

Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:16 pm

Favorites
Delta- In any given year they comprise 80%+ of my flying. They have always treated me exceptionally. A few airlines (which I will note later in the post) treat me like some punk college kid that is only going to bug them. Not Delta. I hit my 21st birthday in December. Because I was too young I could never go into the Skyclub in the C concourse at MSP. Then when I was going home only a couple days after my birthday I stopped in for the first time. The ladies at the desk checked my ID and sang Happy Birthday to me. It was nothing big, but it honestly made my day. It was funny having these businessmen in fancy suits wishing me a Happy Birthday too .

jetBlue- My name probably gives it away but I love jetBlue. LiveTV in every seat (I get antsy so it's perfect), good snacks, great F/As. I fly them whenever I can.

Southwest- I never really understood why people don't like WN. I get the lack of a first class cabin may turn some people away, but my flights are never long enough to where sitting in F will make a difference. The cabins are always clean, never been delayed, F/As always make me chuckle, and I know I'm not going to be stuck in an RJ.

Least
US Airways- I only have 6 or 7 flights on them, so maybe my sample size isn't big enough, but I avoid them like the plague. The planes I've been on have always been dirty, the F/As have looked annoyed to be there, and I just frankly don't like them. Though to be fair I always seem to be boarding one of their planes at 6 AM, so maybe I'm just crabby.

AA-Again another airline I only have 7 flights on. They've always gotten me to where I wanted to be but almost never on time. It seems every time I'm in ORD there is a 45 minute delay. One time I got stuck in JFK for 4 hours and only had one update. I ended up missing my connection to SYD and had to spend the day in LAX (though to be honest, not the worst place to get stuck in June.)
Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

UltimateDelta

Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:44 pm

Hopefully my username doesn't give too much away  

Here's my list:

Like:
Delta- Service is decent (certainly better than most other airlines I've flown recently), easy hubs to connect through (ATL and DTW in particular), and a reasonable amount of comfort, even in regular Y (as an aside, I'm a fan of the new slimline seats they're rolling out in the MD-90s). Additionally, I've always found their staff to be pretty helpful when I've needed it. I know there are plenty of anti-DL people around here, but at least for me, they do what I need them to do, safely, comfortably, and most importantly, conveniently.

Dislike:
Frontier- I can't complain about anything on board their aircraft (every leg I've ever flown with them was an hour or less, so paid drinks don't bother me), but everything else is pretty abysmal. Their check-in process is one of the most idiotic things I've ever seen (checking in online doesn't save any time whatsoever- you still have to tell the computer system that you're checking a bag at the airport), the boarding process, at least the last two times I flew them, was horrendously inefficient and the gate area was understaffed, and I've never had a delay with them less than an hour (on at least one leg- on top of that, only one could really be considered weather-related). Before the ULCC transition, I thought they were okay, but now I'll be happy to use up my FF points with them and be done.

United- I don't have any complaints about their service or anything as much as Frontier, but their seat comfort has to be some of the worst I've experienced. I realize that seat pitch is getting tighter and tighter in Y, but at least on DL and others, my knees weren't firmly pressed against the seat in front of me. That's actually probably my only complaint, but at least to me, it's a big one.

The rest aren't really applicable as I've never flown them, or in AA's case, it's been so long that they're not the same airline anymore.
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

PITingres

Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:10 pm

I guess my favorite would be Southwest. I very much like no change fees, predictable pricing, and sit-yourself.

JetBlue was always a nice experience on those rare occasions when their flight map and schedules met my needs.

AA, Delta, United all pretty much the same in my experience, basically a bus service.

I avoid US when I can, but I do have to admit that they seem to have improved a little recently. I agree with "Coal" that the incessant sales pitches are really quite annoying.

AIrTran was OK. I've never flown on Allegiant, Alaska, Frontier, Spirit, or Virgin.
Fly, you fools! Fly!

hoons90

Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:43 am

Love: American Airlines - Maybe I'm just really lucky, but I've always had amazing crews in the air. I've taken pictures with them, exchanged gifts, and they were very appreciative when I gave them advice on things to do in layover cities. Their ground staff at YYZ are true AAngels, very helpful during IRROPS especially. They have a truly rewarding frequent flyer program with generous redemption availability and rates. Sure, they will never be all things for all people and some people will gripe at their lack of coverage in certain parts of the world, but it's improving markedly. On-time performance could be a little better, but I've had worse on other airlines.

Like: Delta Air Lines - Mostly good crews, good in-flight product and decent network. However, I don't find their frequent flyer program attractive at all. Any future Delta flight will be credited to my Alaska Mileage Plan account, which will then be redeemed on AA or other airlines.

US Airways - Okay, but their seats aren't the most comfortable. Polite staff on the ground and the air, the call center people are also proactive even without me having status.

Continental and Northwest were also good when they were still around.

Meh: jetBlue Airways - Ground staff at JFK could use some more customer service skills. FAs were kind of standoffish, which was a big surprise considering I had high hopes. LiveTV sound didn't work properly more than on one occasion. I wouldn't call them terrible, but they were nothing special. Terminal 5 at JFK is decent, though.
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ

einsteinboricua

Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:26 pm

I like:

Delta->I think out of all the airlines, Delta certainly has established a product and sort of returned part of the glory of flying in the past. I don't feel like a number (not royalty either) when I fly with them. Since moving to STL, DL will become my main airline whenever possible.

US Airways->a simple product that gets me from A to B for an affordable price. Had they had IFE on domestic flights, I would have been completely sold. Shame it has merged with AA.

Southwest->took only one flight to BWI and loved it. However, its fares are sometimes higher than the legacies which is why I don't have them on my number 1 spot. Yet having two bags free and no assigned seating makes for a unique product among the rest.

AirTran-> flew it once from STL to SJU. Decent product and not too bad. An alternative airline if it were still independent.

The "meh" category:

AA->Since entering bankruptcy, I've seen an improvement. However, it's still the same product from the early 00s, and not really an airline I like so much.

JetBlue->Thought it would be different. I was unimpressed aside from the free bag and snacks and IFE. Maybe flying SJU-MCO doesn't do it justice. I'd give it another chance flying another route.

Haven't tried:

United->Both pre- and post- merger. I did fly CO once and loved it. Unfortunately, UA has very few flights to SJU which is a turn off, and are usually WAY expensive.

Probably will never try:

Spirit->gotta be careful. There might be an "airliners.net mention" fee waiting for me if I ever book a flight.

Frontier->rather expensive as well

Would love to try:

United
Hawaiian
Alaska
Virgin America
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Birdwatching

Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:25 pm

Well...

This is not Flyertalk, where a bunch of bitter wannabe-important people (if they really were important they wouldn't be spending all their free time on Flyertalk) discuss why they were only #32 on yesterday's upgrade list out of Cincinnati and not #29 like they deserve to be, or why their silver medallion credential package hasn't shipped yet, or why the Skyclub is crowded with families with kids.

This is Airliners.net, an airplane enthusiast site, so we should all love Delta most, because they have only about every different airliner ever built in their fleet.
Give me those MDs any day!

Soren   
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

RyanairGuru

Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:34 pm

United - They have a bad rep right now, but largely unjustified in my experience. The crew are pleasant, the planes are new and clean, flights are on-time, IMHO United are the silent achiever in the industry. But what I like most of all is that they are so down to earth and straight faced. I don't want to support any person or corporation that is so vain that they actually believe they're the best, which is why I can't handle the arrogance of Delta.

Honorable mentions to US Airways and Hawaiian, especially HA.

Worse: AA.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

WROORD

Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:25 am

jetBlue - 34 inches of legroom beat anyone else and not to mention the IFE and free snacks.

SouthWest - At least they are having fun at work and some FAs even entertain the pax, which compensates for the lack of IFE.

the one I have no desire to try is SPIRIT - I do not want to be nickel and dimed.

kenanc

Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:56 pm

Love:
jetBlue: I have never had a bad experience with these guys. The staff were always friendly, and it is nice to have such low fares but STILL have Live TV, free snacks and the works. I also love their redeye lineup.

Delta Air Lines: They never have let my family and I down. We fly these guys the most internationally.

Like:
Virgin: Only flew on them 4 times, twice on the short-lived SFO-SNA flights, one on LAX-DFW, and the other SFO-DFW (all roundtrip). I love the amenities but the flight staff weren't always the best.

United (pre-merger CO):

I flew them once pre-merger on a CO 737 CRP-IAH-SNA-IAH-CRP as a child (note I am only 13). Staff was nice, and I loved that little children's box with the Sandwich and M&Ms. On the way back, though, we had a 20 minutes to make our connection for the IAH-CRP leg, and barely made it. I still liked the staff, though

(post-merger)

The fares are outrageous, but I haven't had a bad experience with them yet. I flew them DFW-ORD-DFW a few times, as well as IAH-RDU (crazy they us an E145 on that!).

Neutral:

U.S. Airways: DFW-CLT-DFW to do a DukeTIP summer camp. They were OK.

Dislike:
American: I fly these guys the most since I live in the DFW area (mainly). I have had only a few pleasant experiences, but it is only if I paid more to sit up front. On a DFW-LGA flight, I have been denied water when I was not feeling well. Another experience was on a DCA-DFW flight where the staff. Also, I have never had an on-time flight with these guys.

Hate:

Never Tried:

Allegiant- Not an airline I would consider trying.

Spirit- Refer to Allegiant

Frontier- after deciding to go to a ULCC format, I don't think I want to try them. I always asked my parents if we could take them from SNA-DEN, but they always chose UA.

Air Tran Airways- Just have never tried them, but I hear mixed reviews on them.

Southwest- I would LOVE to try these guys on DAL-SNA when the WA is out of the way. I take DFW-SNA at least 15 times a year (commuting fam.) and I would love to try something different.

AAlaxfan

Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:47 pm

All time favorite: Midwest Express - Coach fares, first class service.
Current favorite: AA - I must be one of the lucky ones, because I have never had bad service on any of their flights.

Worst: WN - Cramped, hit or miss seating (even in A group), rush rush rush feeling. Just not comfortable.

UA: Will not fly again due to bad customer service experience.
DL: Have not flown, but have a trip with them coming up in June.

Have not flown nor do I have current plans with any other US carrier.
Have flown several others that have since been gobbled up by the big 3. NW, CO, PSA just to name a few.
My favorite airport is the one I'm flying to! :airplane:

foppishbum

Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:32 am

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 11):
This is not Flyertalk, where a bunch of bitter wannabe-important people (if they really were important they wouldn't be spending all their free time on Flyertalk) discuss why they were only #32 on yesterday's upgrade list out of Cincinnati and not #29 like they deserve to be, or why their silver medallion credential package hasn't shipped yet, or why the Skyclub is crowded with families with kids.

Ha! I had to chuckle a bit after reading this.  

As for my favorite, United has been great to me and I've enjoyed my flights with them. JetBlue is great but I want to concentrate on one airlines (UA) to maintain status. Then again, Burbank flights are really limited and UA has probably the best scheduling options for me. The airline I try to avoid flying is Virgin America...for some reason, they just rub me the wrong way. Too hip, I guess! Call me grandpa. I have no problem with AA, US dba AA, DL, VX, and WN. Quite frankly, I've had pretty decent luck with flying in general.  *knock on wood*
TPE X LAX X NYC :airplane:

aerorobnz

Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:37 am

Horizon is the best.
Then VX AS FL US F9 and DL
Then UA, AA at the weaker end.

Tbh there is little in it from top to bottom. I fly all of them for different purposes - I mean for different ac types...lol
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

vatveng

Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:55 pm

Favorite:

AirTran - I only ever had one real issue with them. And I flew them a lot, so you'd think there would have been more. They really were a well-run airline and I miss flying them. Phone reps were always able to help the few times I needed a problem solved.

Delta - Pre-2000 I wasn't a fan, but after several flights in recent years I have been consistently impressed. They're now my first choice.

Meh:
Frontier - only one R/T with them, and the crew were pleasant and professional on both flights but overall it wasn't a positive experience. Having a video screen literally 4 inches from my face was nauseating. Ground handling is outsourced nearly everywhere so when I checked in at the Frontier counter, a guy in a US Airways Express t-shirt was handling the flight.

Avoid:
US Airways - Constant sales pitches. Rude agents. Having to sprint from one end of the hub to the other (pick one, it happens at them all) each and every time I ever have to connect because the inbound is always --ALWAYS-- late. Nearly impossible to fly anywhere on the east coast without getting stuck on a Dash-8.

Haven't flown in over a decade:
AA
UA

Never flown:
Allegiant
Spirit
Virgin America
Alaska
JetBlue

TrijetsRMissed

Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:45 am

Hands down DL for me. Profitability, strong cash flow, solid product and world's largest and most viable McDonnell Douglas fleet.

Between the projected 270+ MD-88/90/717 aircraft, the mod upgrades and LOV lifecycle extension could technically keep a DL MD fleet active into the 2030s... MD-90s and 717s, anyway.

One thing is for sure, the skies would be a lot more ubiquitous, monotonous and flat out boring if it were not for DL.    Without the DL's MDs, US domestic service would be almost completely, 737NG/A320 or E-Jet/CRJ... Terrible.

Quoting dc9northwest (Reply 2):
are of antique MD80/90 airplanes

This is an embarrassing statement to make on a.net, if you're an enthusiast. I'd expect to read that in the NY Times...  
There's nothing quite like a trijet.

swedenflyer

Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:57 pm

These here are the only 3 U.S. airlines I've flown on since I got interested in aviation, so here it goes.

Favorite:

Delta: I frequently fly DL on DCA-ATL and back, and we've never had a bad experience with them. They get us from point A to point B on time and in one piece, so no real complaints here.

Alaska: I've flown them twice from DCA to PDX, once through SEA and the other nonstop. Once again, they got us from point A to point B on time and in one piece, but their IFE is great and we've never had a bad experience with their airport staff or FAs. This is probably my favorite U.S. airline.

Least Favorite:

Frontier: I've flown them twice from PDX to DCA through DEN, and the first time was great. However, it was in 2009, and that was back when we didn't have to pay for any drinks other than water. When I flew them in November of 2013, my mom spent 45 minutes trying unsuccessfully to check in online, so our family got separated. Also, we had to pay extra for our carry-on luggage. Then, of course, they charged $1.99 for any drinks other than water, and their crew on the DEN-DCA leg did one drink run and ignored us for the rest of the flight. After arriving at DCA, I thanked the purser, and all he said was "Mmm-hmm." Talk about a whole different animal!

I would like to try WN sometime, especially now that they fly DCA-ATL and back, and they have a large presence at BWI as well. B6 is also on my personal bucket list, because of their Caribbean routes, and I'm interested in going down there sometime.
FlyingFinn76, abrelosojos

rwy04lga

Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:26 pm

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 12):
which is why I can't handle the arrogance of Delta.

I'm not sure airlines can display emotions.

Quoting TrijetsRMissed (Reply 19):
Quoting dc9northwest (Reply 2):
are of antique MD80/90 airplanes

This is an embarrassing statement to make on a.net, if you're an enthusiast.

Funny that his username is DC9....HOWEVER....

That quote was posted by.....

Quoting Coal (Reply 3):
Delta: Haven't flown them in years (close to 10 years), but all my memories of DL are of antique MD80/90 airplanes, no food, etc.

'MY' favorite airline is.....drum roll please.....Delta Air Lines.

Great employees, great management, great labor relations, great financials, well-maintained fleet, great network.

But since I work at Delta, perhaps I'm a bit biased. But only just a bit. Oh, maybe a little 'arrogant', also.   

In the final analysis.... if the truth fits, wear it!
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

mhkansan

Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:25 am

My two favorite airlines are merging! Most of my early flying experiences were with US Airways, and I love their call center staff and had a wonderful experience with some PHL gate agents and their TATL crews on the A330s.

AA / American Eagle is the only airline that serves MHK, my hometown, so they would have gotten my vote regardless of the service - however, now I work for them, so I like them even more! Working for Eagle and using my flight benefits a lot really helps me appreciate the perks of flying AA.

I've never been that impressed with DL or UA.

WN has gotten me where I need to go, but I don't like the rushed feeling of finding a seat and generally feeling like cattle.

I liked the old F9. Not sure about the new ULCC F9 as I haven't flown them in awhile.

Used to be a big supporter or ZK, then I found out how little their pilots get paid- Crazy!

nkops

Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:47 am

Favorite has always been US... always enjoyed flying them ... very few problems on them

Only major I have not tried is UA, and I will actually be flying them for the first time in May on their new service out of ACY.. I am sure a 3hr 20 min E145 flight will not catapault them to the top of the list though.

Turn left heading 080 contact departure

washingtonflyer

Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:47 pm

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 11):

Wow, as a long-time Flyertalk user I am kinda surprised by your characterization. We're not airline employee, we've drunk the Koolaid types.

Many of us are very successful business professionals who are -customers- and not self-loading cargo.

....written from the US Airways "C" Club at DCA awaiting my 8:45 flight. And, yes, I did get my upgrade.

Birdwatching

Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:48 pm

Quoting washingtonflyer (Reply 24):
Wow, as a long-time Flyertalk user I am kinda surprised by your characterization. We're not airline employee, we've drunk the Koolaid types.
Many of us are very successful business professionals who are -customers- and not self-loading cargo.

Oh come on. You must have noticed this if you've even been on Flyertalk.
Most of the people there are miserable and bitter, constantly complaining. The permanent question seems to be, how much can I squeeze out of the airline as compensation. Everything used to be better in the past. And so on...

You have to admit there is a VERY negative atmosphere in Flyertalk.

Soren   
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

washingtonflyer

Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:38 pm

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 25):
Oh come on. You must have noticed this if you've even been on Flyertalk.
Most of the people there are miserable and bitter, constantly complaining. The permanent question seems to be, how much can I squeeze out of the airline as compensation. Everything used to be better in the past. And so on...

You have to admit there is a VERY negative atmosphere in Flyertalk.

I notice newcomers who come on and ask dumb questions and dumb requests (e.g., can I skip the first segment because flying from my actual is too expensive).

But the fact of the matter is that most passengers there are flyers who have been there a long time and don't expect to be treated like $hit by a service provider. And, let's be honest, some airlines really don't care about customers; they view customers as annoyances who should simply shut up and not complain.

That is simply not the way business should be run.

So, no, I don't think the users are bitter and constantly complaining.

And, I think that things have been better in the past. Seat pitch is tighter, fees have increased markedly, benefits which formerly existed have been pulled and been labelled as "enhancements." On and on.

flymia

Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:52 pm

Overall Flying/Airline Customer Experience:
American. They have their issues. A recent flight I was stuck on an old 763 and had a bad check-in agent. Their airport staff, especially at MIA can be hit or miss. Overall I have never had a big issues with them in many flights. They are changing for the better and they FF program is by far the best IMO. That is their biggest advantage is AADVANTAGE.

If I had one flight to fly in economy class:
Jet Blue, by a mile. Love their PTVs, tons of leg room, free snacks and coffee and nice crews. If they only had a better FF program, were part of an alliance and had some European flights I beleive B6 would be the airline of my choice.

For practicality with FF benefits its AA. If someone said I need to fly Miami to Los Angeles in economy, put me on a B6 plane over anything else.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

TwoSixLeft

Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:14 am

My two current favorites:

Southwest. As a college student with a limited travel budget and no need for luxury, I especially value friendly service and reasonable fares without luggage fees. Southwest has always given me that, and they treated me right when one of my recent flights was cancelled. And, since my home airport is mostly RJs, a WN 737 is a nice change of pace. Also liked AirTran the one time I flew with them.

United. They aren't a favorite here, I know, but I had a great experience with them on my first TATL flight last year. Planes were clean and well maintained; the legroom was more than adequate; the F/As were very good; and, surprisingly, the food was delicious. I've not had a bad time flying them domestically, either.
NX37602. "Well, the airplane seems to be fairly successful."

BD338

Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:09 am

Best to Worst....

B6: Can't beat the legroom or free TV, decent 'free' snacks and drinks
AS: Just good comfortable service.
WN: OK, major ding for (d)evolve and not as cheap as they used to be but no change fees and no bag fees are a big plus.
DL*: They're OK, get's the job done in reasonable comfort. I like the EC option at a reasonable price.
UA*: Average. can't say much else really.
AA*: Not flown in a long time, first AA flight in several years coming up next month
US: I'd rather take the Greyhound. Last flew over 5 years, after which I threatened to never fly them again after an utterly pathetic response to just one more disastrous trip on US. Tore up the US credit card, donated 300K miles to charity and never set foot on one of their planes ever again. I won't be sorry to see them go.

VX: high on my wishlist to try but they don't fly from where I am based. Hawaiian is another I'd like to try.

Allegiant, Frontier, Spirit, AirTran...never flown any of them...and I've no desire to be squashed into a Spirit aircraft.

*Mainline legacies include all regional carriers....if it quacks like a duck, it's a duck.

Osubuckeyes

Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:54 pm

Like:

AS: I really wish I still lived in Oregon sometimes so I could fly them more. They are the best airline in the US by far and I really wish I had the opportunity to fly them more.
DL: Always treated well, reasonable fares, great staff, and good hubs.
US: I have been flying them more lately PHX-Cali and all of my flights have been on-time with great staff and very little fuss.

Neutral:
AirTran: Flown a few redeyes very non-descript airline IMO.
United: Flew them a bunch pre merger and they were much better. The last couple trips I have flown with them have been more or less uneventful without notable staff, comfort or service.
WN: I don't like them as much on longer trips, but the shorter hops are fine and I really like that the boarding does not take forever, and no delays due to lack of overhead space.

Dislike:
AA: The first time I flew them I randomly got upgraded to F on ORD-PHX and it was a wonderful experience. The next two times PHX-DFW and DTW-DFW-SJC were miserable with very rude FAs along with dirty beat up seats. I also dealt with them over the phone for one of my flights and ended up having the agent start yelling at me. I am optimistic about the merger and I will be continuing my PHX-Cali traveling so we shall see.

Haven't tried:
F9, NK, Allegiant, VX, B6.

Honorable mentions
CO: Used to fly PHX-CLE all the time and loved their whole brand and attitude towards customer service. It is really too bad that the above and beyond attitude generally decreased after the merger.
HP: I know some people hate on them, but I thought they were a great little airline. Almost never got delayed and I always encountered very friendly staff and good service.

bobnwa

Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:49 pm

Quoting washingtonflyer (Reply 26):
And, let's be honest, some airlines really don't care about customers; they view customers as annoyances who should simply shut up and not complain.

I really don't agree with that statement. Please list a couple ailrines that you believe don't care about customers