Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jetblueguy22
Topic Author

Taking Flight Bag Through TSA

Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:22 am

So next weekend I decided to book a weekend getaway to Florida. The last month 2 months in GFK weather wise have been absolutely horrendous. Anyways I'm flying MSP-FLL and was just going to do carry on as I'm only there for two days. Now back in August I got my PPL and my grandfather has been asking every time I talk to him when I'm going to take him flying. Well luckily I found a place to rent a 172 from and finally take him flying. Now I was going to bring my flight bag down with me. Just two headset, kneeboard, chart, logbook, and checklists (to study for school). Is the TSA going to frown upon me having all of this stuff? I'm probably thinking too much into this, but I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and check this stuff so I don't have to deal with the hassle or just take it onboard with me.
Thanks!
Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

faddypainter

RE: Taking Flight Bag Through TSA

Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:52 pm

I've had no problem taking all this stuff through TSA on multiple occasions before and barely had as much as a second glance from them. Headset especially cost too much for me to risk checking it in. Can't see why there should be any issue, just take it with you.

Interestingly FRA is the only place they grilled me over it with a rather amusing episode where I tried to explain what Foggles are for, which they couldn't seem to grasp. They then said because I had a headset, they had to do a special "Headset test" for explosives, made me wait 15 minutes for someone to take me to another room, then decided they didn't actually have time to do it and let me go.   

Hope this helps.

Birdwatching

Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:39 pm

Why on earth would the TSA care about your flight bag? Is there anything sharp in it, or liquids over 3 ounces?

Your question is like asking whether or not you can check the striped socks or the TV remote.

Soren   
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

rwy04lga

Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:07 am

I'm similarly concerned about taking my 'CH Products Flight Sim Yoke' to let a friend in TPA try it out before buying one for himself. Might TSA think I'm going to hijack the plane, plug into the USB port, and fly it from my seat? Hey, you never know!
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

jetblueguy22
Topic Author

Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:38 pm

Quoting faddypainter (Reply 1):
Headset especially cost too much for me to risk checking it in. Can't see why there should be any issue, just take it with you.

I'm taking two down so we don't have to rent one. I spent waaaaay too much on mine to let it be checked.

Quoting faddypainter (Reply 1):
They then said because I had a headset, they had to do a special "Headset test" for explosives, made me wait 15 minutes for someone to take me to another room, then decided they didn't actually have time to do it and let me go.   

This is what I'm afraid of. I have a tight timetable that day and I really don't have a lot of room for a delay.

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 2):
Why on earth would the TSA care about your flight bag? Is there anything sharp in it, or liquids over 3 ounces?

Your question is like asking whether or not you can check the striped socks or the TV remote.

I have had the absolute worst luck with the TSA. One time (before you had to take off your shoes) I went through the scanner with boots on. The TSA took me aside for secondary screening. I was 10 years old, you know what the agent asked me? "Do you have any explosive materials on or in your boots?" My father nearly lost his mind. I've gotten a pat down my last 3 trips. I just can't seem to get away from them. I just don't want them to sit there and think it's sketchy is all.
Thanks for all the replies!
Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

FlyingSicilian

Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:51 pm

hy on earth would the TSA care about your flight bag? Is there anything sharp in it, or liquids over 3 ounces

There are mant stores of TSA overreaching on private/non-ATP pilots with their equipment while flying commercial. Granted most are from 8+ years ago but there are still occasional stories of them flipping out over it.
That being said odds are you should be fine of course with the OPs luck....lol

I had them ask a friend for his pilot license due to having the equipment just 3 years ago.
I was told there would be cookies...

copter808

Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:06 am

Correct. Should be no big deal and if TSA has questions, just answer them.

Quoting FlyingSicilian (Reply 5):
I had them ask a friend for his pilot license due to having the equipment just 3 years ago.

As much as I believe in cooperating with TSA, I think I would have to tell them where they could stick that question and ask to see the pertinent regulation.

Flyer732

Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:41 am

Just did it last week, and I've done it multiple times in the past. They don't care. There are many many pilots who take airline flights daily after taking a plane they've flown somewhere.

Type-Rated

Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:56 am

Actually it's a good question. Don't try to trivialize it. With the TSA you never know what they'll do in any given situation. With people still nervous about 9/11 I am really surprised that the TSA doesn't ask the person with the flight bag if they intend to take over the plane they are about to get on! It's always best to know in advance what you may be up against.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

jetblueguy22
Topic Author

Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:41 pm

Quoting type-rated (Reply 8):
With the TSA you never know what they'll do in any given situation. With people still nervous about 9/11 I am really surprised that the TSA doesn't ask the person with the flight bag if they intend to take over the plane they are about to get on! It's always best to know in advance what you may be up against.

That's pretty much why I asked. TSA can be so hit or miss with overreaction sometimes.

I got it through MSP just fine. The TSA asked why I had them and when I told them I was going to fly in Florida they thought it was cool. The TSA in FLL had a couple questions, but they let me go without any real issues.
Thanks for the input everybody!
Pat

DualQual

Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:19 am

You should be fine but it's TSA so they reserve the right to make up the rules as they deem fit. Just make sure you don't have anything like tools or a survival knife in there if you happen to fly with those when you rent. Otherwise, the regular stuff should be fine (headsets, charting items, E6B, etc)
There's no known cure for stupid