Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kurtjeter
Topic Author

Most Convenient Customs USA Entry From Europe

Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:51 am

Flying from FRA or LHR, if you had absoutely free choice about where to touchdown in the USA and go through customs and passport control, etc., where would you choose? ORD, JFK, EWR, ATL . . . . . ? And, related--where would you avoid if at all possible? Thanks.

vtmaa

RE: Most Convenient Customs USA Entry From Europe

Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:08 am

I am not sure I would choose one over the other just for CBP. I've ha had good and bad experiences in all of these locations.

UltimateDelta

Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:09 am

Quoting kurtjeter (Thread starter):
where would you choose?

I'd definitely nominate DTW. I've gone through it there twice, and both times it was a breeze. There are a lot of stations, and at least when I was there, a large portion of them were open to passengers, so the wait was no longer than 10 minutes. Additionally, I'm a fan of the fact that the rescreening for connecting passengers is separate and located in the same area as customs, and puts you back in the main secure area when you're through.

where would you avoid if at all possible?

The only other airport I've arrived through from Europe (recently, anyway)- EWR. Customs and passport control is fine, but to be rescreened, you have to leave the secure area and go through the same security area as every other originating passenger, which at least for concourse C, isn't the best-equipped to handle as many people as it does. Rescreening took over an hour on my one experience there.
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

PHX787

Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:53 am

Flying from FRA or LHR, if you had absoutely free choice about where to touchdown in the USA and go through customs and passport control, etc., where would you choose? ORD, JFK, EWR, ATL . . . . . ? And, related--where would you avoid if at all possible? Thanks.

I've only gone through JFK.....2 hour wait. Will never do it again. Avoid JFK.

ORD is quite convenient for TPAC flights. I'm not sure about Euro flights, it may depend on what time you're flying.

EWR may be better off, depending on timing.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

TWA772LR

Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:14 am

Avoid IAH like the plague.

I flew FRA-EWR in January and go in around 1:30pm-ish. It was a breeze. LAX is great also around 9:30am.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

FlyingSicilian

Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:21 am

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 4):

What? If you have carry on only, go for IAH, it is the only airport with "one-stop" that lets one bypass the second "customs" check and exit. ORD has "one-stop" but was still routing people through customs. IAH allows one to skip it.
I was told there would be cookies...

airbazar

Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:22 am

For a citizen/resident, of for a visitor? As a resident I find BOS to be better than most. It's never taken me more than 10 minutes. As a visitor, the timing of the arrival is more relevant than the airport. If your flight is the first of a series of arrivals you're good. Otherwise it will be a very long wait no matter what airport you use.

BD338

Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:26 am

Personal experience, the smaller/second tier are often easier than the likes of ATL or JFK. it really depends on your final destination, East Coast destination doesn't make much sense to use DEN or PHX which have always been OK for me. DTW as mentioned above has always been a good option for me as well, MSP depends on timing, if you land the same time as one of the Asian flights then it can get overwhelmed. I don't think there is such a thing as a good experience at PHL or EWR. LAX is hit and miss....I've arrived from Europe and had huge queues, arrived from SYD and AKL and got through in seconds with no line at all.

EISHN

Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:27 am

Another option be going through DUB or SNN and taking care of CBP before crossing the Atlantic. Aer Lingus flights to JFK arrive at T5, the jetBlue terminal and it makes for much easier connections.

StlHsvSfoSan

Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:02 am

I have been through ORD a couple times (AA from LHR and LX from ZRH), and both times I was through in less than half an hour and easily made connections to domestic flights.

LAX was easy (at about 7:00 AM on QF from SYD), but there were only a couple flights arriving at that time.

MIA is on my avoid list (at least on AA) - it took 1-1/2 hours to get through customs and passport control (no checked luggage), and through security for a domestic connection. Almost missed the connection (good thing we were early from SXM).

readytotaxi

Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:28 am

The two big NO NO,s have to be JFK & MIA, always around 90mins to clear.
EWR found to be good arriving between 1-2pm usually claer in under 40mins.
The fastest one which I use oftern is MCO, never more than 30mins to clear the building.  
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

JRadier

Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:35 am

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 4):

Why, I had nothing but good experiences there.

Quoting readytotaxi (Reply 10):
The two big NO NO,s have to be JFK & MIA, always around 90mins to clear.

Agreed!

nicode

Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:55 am

2 hours in LAS, from the plane to the taxi...

That was a nightmare...

planeguy727

Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:54 pm

If you are Global Entry eligible get it as it generally renders these types of decisions irrelevant. Using GE I went from plane exit to tram (toward train station) with no checked luggage in 5 minutes at EWR.
I want to live in an old and converted 727...

A333MSPtoAMS

Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:59 pm

For people with US passports, I would say MSP is a good choice. I have not flown from LHR but fly 2-3 times per year AMS-MSP and generally speaking going through immigration can take maybe 20-25 minutes if i'm one of the first off the plane. Not sure about the length of time for international passport holders. Soon I will be able to use the Global Entry kiosks, so hopefully even quicker.

Coming from NRT, on the other hand, was about 30-35 minutes. Not significantly longer but also i was still sitting in the economy comfort zone, so closer to the front.
As of Dec 2019 I've flown 457,440 miles on 270 flights on 54 airplane types with 60 airlines traveling thru 104 airports. I've visited 60 countries.
http://cronkflies.com

swedenflyer

Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:28 pm

IAD was a zoo both times I've been through there (even for US passport holders like me), but that was before they renovated the checkpoint, and I've heard that it's better now. I've heard horror stories about JFK and MIA, so it would probably be best to avoid those airports.
FlyingFinn76, abrelosojos

pwm2txlhopper

Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:02 pm

My quickest and most convenient entry in the county was at RSW, with AB from DUS. It was a breeze compared to every other US airport where I've gone through customs! Less than five minutes.

[Edited 2014-03-02 10:06:02]

ArmitageShanks

Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:47 pm

I've entered through CLT from numerous European and Carribbean destinations and its never taken more than 15 minutes to go through customs. EWR was awful as was MIA in my experiences.

EUflyer

Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:31 pm

For me it would have to be SEA - longest its taken me was around 60 minutes, usually out within 40/45 minutes.

OA260

Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:19 pm

Another vote for DUB ! Its very easy .

RamblinMan

Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:18 am

And, related--where would you avoid if at all possible? Thanks.

Anywhere that requires local pax to be rescreened by TSA because of stupid terminal design...like MEM and the old setup at ATL. At that point, why bother seeking out, and likely paying extra for, a nonstop flight?

Viscount724

Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:54 am

Quoting EISHN (Reply 8):
Another option be going through DUB or SNN and taking care of CBP before crossing the Atlantic. Aer Lingus flights to JFK arrive at T5, the jetBlue terminal and it makes for much easier connections.
Quoting OA260 (Reply 19):
Another vote for DUB ! Its very easy .

Or if you have to connect somewhere, go via Canada so you can also use U.S. pre-clearance and arrive in the U.S. as a domestic passenger.

redzeppelin

Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:45 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 21):
Or if you have to connect somewhere, go via Canada so you can also use U.S. pre-clearance and arrive in the U.S. as a domestic passenger.

Bingo! My experience: Get off of a KL 777 at YVR, watch the crowd descend on Canadian immigration, then join about 10-15 people who are connecting to the USA for a leisurely stroll through USA immigration. Quick and painless--don't even have to collect and recheck bags before connecting. I've also returned from Europe via SLC, JFK, LAX and MSP. Arriving via Canada is the best route in my book.

LBA1432

Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:51 am

Flying from LHR, I would fly into the smaller international airports like RDU, AUS, maybe even SAN (I am flying LHR - SAN in August then connecting to LAX, if anyone has any experience of customs and immigration here please let me know) as I think they'd be quieter and quicker points of entry into the US. I flew MAN - EWR last year and that wasn't too bad, around an hour at immigration at EWR but flights from MAN, EDI and FRA had just landed, so we didn't exactly (or UA didn't) time it right  

RDU is a beautiful airport, easy to use, nice and big, I would probably fly there. I imagine these airports to be quieter and quicker.

Judging from what people say alone, I would probably avoid MIA or JFK, heard horrendous things about waiting times there.

mad99

Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:16 pm

I'd say most of the big airports are similar. I recently arrived at Minneapolis from AMS and it was slow going. First the visitors/locals split was about 50/50 but the locals got through much faster then they transferred some of us to the us side. Not an airport know for international arrivals.

I've gone through Miami twice and missed my connection twice, both times with 2 hrs to transfer. Maybe its because lots of people from Lat Am go through Miami and most would need visas?

If you see someone in the q pulling out loads of papers with stamps then move to another....

gabrielchew

Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:14 pm

I flew through EWR twice in the apst few weeks.

First time was coming from AMS on UA, due in around 1130 with a load of other European flights. I was expecting a long wait. In the end, despite sitting in economy, I was the ONLY person at visitors immigration, with no one ahead of me, and a few slow walkers behind me. Of course, I got the rudest immigration officer on the planet. Still, I was though very quickly. IIRC, it was around 30 mins from touchdown, taxi, walk, immigration, baggage reclaim, customs, recheck, TSA, and to the domestic lounge. Not bad!!

2 days ago flying PTY-EWR-FRA was slower, but still fairly reasonable, maybe a 10 min wait for immigration. Security in TB for the LH flight (despite being in the fast track line) was SLOW.
http://my.flightmemory.com/shefgab Upcoming flights: AMS-RIX-BUD-VDA,ETH-TLV-FCO-LHR,STN-TXL-LCY,LTN-CPH-LTN,LGW-SZG,MUC-LHR

airbuseric

Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:40 pm

JFK took me just 20 minutes from the SQ A380 flight (FRA-JFK), was seated in Y upper deck. So can't really be negative about it...

BA to JFK, they have their 'own' terminal, not really bad either. I waited about 40 minutes on arrival coming from last row in a 777.

What I think, in JFK it really makes a difference which airline brings you in, and also the time of the day!
"The whole world steps aside for the man who knows where he is going"

zrs70

Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:10 am

Second BOS being good (if that's your final destination). Not as convenient if you are connecting beyond.
21 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2021

TravelR

Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:22 am

Quoting airbuseric (Reply 26):

I have to agree with the above. I also took the SQ flight from FRA to JFK and got through immigration in 5 minutes as an economy class pax sitting in upper deck of plane. I walked really fast though thinking it would take forever as my previous experiences in LAX, SFO, and IAD. No kidding! Shame it took more than 45 minutes to get my baggage due to problem with carousel.
You can never travel too much in your life!

planeguy727

Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:27 pm

Quoting TravelR (Reply 28):

Quoting airbuseric (Reply 26):

I have to agree with the above. I also took the SQ flight from FRA to JFK and got through immigration in 5 minutes as an economy class pax sitting in upper deck of plane.

Agreed. The timing of the flight and arriving into T4 I had a similar experience (pre-GE).
I want to live in an old and converted 727...

readytotaxi

Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:41 pm

Quoting gabrielchew (Reply 25):
Of course, I got the rudest immigration officer on the planet

You mean he has moved from JFK, or was he moonlighting.  
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

ALexeu

Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:01 pm

What about oddballs like FAI, ANC, PDX, MEM (before AMS ended) and RDU?

reifel

Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:22 pm

What about Canada? I once flew via Ottawa and that is actually such a breeze! Through, you have to pass Canadian immigration, but this is a breeze since you will be the only international flight (together with a regional jet or so arriving from the US). Your bags take minutes to come out, you go up airside a floor or two, and you recheck for your US flight, pass US immigration and that's it. Although you will have to pass Canadian immigration in the end you will have a much more relaxed and quick transfer.

Also, the 767 that AC uses to YOW is a nice aircraft with good seating arrangement. The only issue might be the little amounf of US destinations served from YOW

From London you could fly AA to Raleigh (RDU) and pass immigration there. True, transfer options with AA are pretty limited, but that is especially a good option if you want to travel to Miami and can't go on nonstop flights. Same option is also possible through BWI, where you could also connect to other AA hubs (namely JFK or MIA make most sense, but only if you can't go on a direct option anyway).

Longhornmaniac

Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:06 am

AUS.  

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

RyanairGuru

Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:15 am

Not relevant when flying from Europe, but HNL is a dream.

MIA is far and away the worse IMHO.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

ORDTLV2414

Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:26 am

ORD is pretty good, although be careful of those late afternoon european arrivals, they will slow the process. I'm an American though so thats my experience. I've also heard PHL isn't terrible, and another one to consider is RDU, only has one INTL flight so cant be too bad right??

LBA1432

Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:34 pm

I mentione

Quoting ORDTLV2414 (Reply 35):
and another one to consider is RDU, only has one INTL flight so cant be too bad right??

Pretty much! That's why I said RDU, AUS is also a good contender haha. Anyone know how long SAN is for immigration? I'm flying in on the BA273 in August and have 2 hours to connect onto LAX, which also means heading from T2 to the commuter terminal!
Theres the AA174/173 RDU - LHR
AC from YYZ.

Dont DL also operate seasonal flights to CUN too? Although I cant see many Mexicans being on this flight as I'm guessing this flight is purely for vacation reasons, but I suppose you never know...

flyboy_se

Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:04 pm

From personal experience, i found ATL to be the best. I used it 2 times. Once coming off AF from CDG, and once DL from LIM. Quite short lines and friendly officers. IAD was also nice, nobody in line coming in from GVA on UA. Usually JFK terminal 4 was horrible every single time. However T8 was pretty nice and quick. EWR was so and so.
I prefer to be crazy and happy rather than normal and bitter

zululima

Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:01 pm

Just arrived from CDG into DFW and I was literally through customs in 5 minutes. DFW has recently installed automated machines for US passport holders (not Global Entry, these are for everyone). Touch the screen a few times and it takes your picture and prints a receipt to show an officer. Plane to curb in 10 minutes.
I didn't get a 'Harumph' outta that guy!

VZLA787

Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:59 pm

Lately, MIA has been lousy, long lines for every type of passenger (visitors, residents, citizens). I would also avoid JFK and DFW as it is always crowded. Like others have said, LAX is a hit or miss. SFO is OK.

I just landed in ORD last week, and it took less than 10 mins in passport control and another 10 mins to get my bag, so the connection was a breeze. However, it has been slow in the past (I guess it depends on the arrival time).

RDU is very good for visitors. There's only one Int'l flight, and the majority of the passengers are US Citizens (at least it was like this on my last trip LHR-RDU)

kurtjeter
Topic Author

Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:41 am

Quoting readytotaxi (Reply 30):
Quoting gabrielchew (Reply 25):
Of course, I got the rudest immigration officer on the planet

You mean he has moved from JFK, or was he moonlighting.

I think he must do a lot of moonlighting. I run in to him just about everywhere I go!

LOWS

Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:18 am

Quoting swedenflyer (Reply 15):
IAD was a zoo both times I've been through there (even for US passport holders like me), but that was before they renovated the checkpoint, and I've heard that it's better now. I've heard horror stories about JFK and MIA, so it would probably be best to avoid those airports.

IAD is still a madhouse. I am a double passport holder, and for US or EU, it is still awful. If I am traveling with someone with an EU pass only, they still make me go through the US line. It is very unpleasant. What makes it even worse is the awful security line.

In ORD last year, I was going alone and used the new Automats. They're very very nice and quick. Now that OS flies to ORD, that will be my preferred transit point.

trex8

Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:58 am

MSP or DTW definitely.
ORD isn't bad if you don't land when its "rush hour"

L-188

Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:20 am

Any thought on ANC or SEA.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

rwsea

Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:45 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 43):
Any thought on ANC or SEA.

SEA's international terminal is way too small for the increasing number of international flights. It's fine if there's only one plane landing, but can be a nightmare when 2 or 3 large planes arrive at the same time.

Quoting ALexeu (Reply 31):
What about oddballs like FAI, ANC, PDX, MEM (before AMS ended) and RDU?

PDX is a breeze. I've landed there from AMS several times ... only one plane and usually plenty of officers. I usually am straight through and then have to spend 15 mins waiting for luggage. I would have to vote for PDX as my favorite entry point, although now I have GE so any should be about the same.

CXA330300

Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:09 pm

I've heard good things about PHL if you're flying US. UA's EWR terminal is actually not bad if you're arriving during a non-peak time. JFK and ORD are awful.
Home airport now: DCA/IAD

kurtjeter
Topic Author

Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:07 am

A friend of mine left for Rome today. Was flying out of CLT, which he swears by (NOT "at"). Anyone here had any experiences with CLT? I know LH used to fly out of there. Haven't checked to see if it still does.