Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

777222LR
Topic Author

AA 963 DFW-GRU 13 Hour Delay

Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:25 pm

Anyone know what AA 963 left DFW almost 13 hours late? The Saturday night flight scheduled at 745PM left DFW this morning (Sunday, April 13) at 830AM.

744lover

RE: AA 963 DFW-GRU 13 Hour Delay

Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:49 pm

A friend of mine was on this flight and he received a automated call yesterday saying that the plane had "maintenance issues"

BR,
744lover

dfwramper

Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:41 pm

Perhaps related to the GRU-JFK plane that diverted into ORF for maintenance yesterday? They probably didn't fix it in time.

eastern747

Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:46 pm

IMHO......If you are AA and know you have an a/c in trouble, you find another plane with a departure as close as you can to scheduled departure. Sounds to me like very poor planning, as you don't affect just one flight. It snowballs with crew, return flight, etc. I think AA and UA are in a contest to see who can be the worse carrier in the US. Before you beat me up, I know these things happen......remember I have walked that walk before, a long time ago before some of you netters knew what a plane was...         

brilondon

Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:15 pm

Quoting EASTERN747 (Reply 3):
IMHO......If you are AA and know you have an a/c in trouble, you find another plane with a departure as close as you can to scheduled departure. Sounds to me like very poor planning, as you don't affect just one flight. It snowballs with crew, return flight, etc. I think AA and UA are in a contest to see who can be the worse carrier in the US. Before you beat me up, I know these things happen......remember I have walked that walk before, a long time ago before some of you netters knew what a plane was...

They don't have spare planes all over their system. In order to make money you have to utilize your assets to the max. My guess would be that it was the best option in order to get the flight off without cancelling it so that at least you won't be left to have to scramble to find a flight to GRU.
Rush forever Closer To My Heart

HeeseokKoo

Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:18 pm

AA 963 is 77W, so probably not related to yesterday's GRU-JFK divert.

One positive thing here is that AA delayed 3.5 hours before original departure. Although by that time, all passengers have left home airport or home already, it's better than finding trouble when boarding is over and keep delaying hours and hours like in many maintenance delay stories.

eastern747

Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:52 pm

If I'm not mistaken DFW is a major MTC base for AA. So let's look at some stuff...
-load factor down and back
-air freight that needs to move, both ways
-connections for people coming into DFW (Holy week traffic)
- can a latter flight a/c be used and delay that flight
-has catering been closed out and do we now need to order breakfast service
-18 hour delay....how will it affect the return of that crew to DFW

While airlines don't park aircraft on the ramp that aren't assigned, like Hertz or Avis, there are many options if someone sits down and works it out. I remember working control center FLL, when our L1011 prime flight to JFK took a mech. I worked with system control in Mia and talked them in to a flag stop on the prime time MIA-JFK. The load on both flights were such there would be no problem combining the flights. The MIA flight stopped, we loaded the passengers, loaded the bags, and I had the caterers board the meals from the FLL flight. (Remember these were the days when full dinners were served (hot) and F/Y. So it all worked out with less than an hours delay.

MesaFlyGuy

Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:09 pm

Quoting EASTERN747 (Reply 6):

How do you know all of that wasn't done? Pretty strong words from somebody who wasn't involved in the situation at all.

And, considering that AA only has around 11 77Ws in their fleet, it may have been a bit hard to find a spare plane. Plus, based on your comments, say AA had delayed another, flight to get this one out earlier, you'd probably be saying that AA should've delayed the GRU flight  
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

roseflyer

Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:09 am

Actually it looks like very good planning to me. A DFW-GRU delay of 13 hours has virtually no effect on the rest of the airline's operation since the airplane landed in GRU with 90 minutes to turn back to DFW. Virtually no delay other than the cost of hotels for 1 night for the passengers on DFW-GRU. It looks like there was enough notice to reroute people over to MIA or JFK.

The only other route out of DFW with a 77W is LHR. It is a small fleet, and most flights our not out of DFW, so it is unlikely to be available as a spare in DFW. A 772 swap could have had significant consequences. Swapping an LHR flight would have massive repercussions asssociated with the curfew in LHR and the fact that airplanes have a short turn unlike GRU where it is on the ground for 14 hours.

I worked with system control in Mia and talked them in to a flag stop on the prime time MIA-JFK. The load on both flights were such there would be no problem combining the flights. The MIA flight stopped, we loaded the passengers, loaded the bags, and I had the caterers board the meals from the FLL flight. (Remember these were the days when full dinners were served (hot) and F/Y. So it all worked out with less than an hours delay.

The only US airline doing that type of stop nowadays is FedEx. Issuing a 13 hour delay, and rerouting passengers through JFK and MIA is how airlines handle that type of problem nowadays.

Delays happen, and I think you know that. Issuing a 13 hour delay more than 3 hours before departure rather than a creeping hour by hour delay all night long is preferable. Knowing how long the delay would be is the key to a smooth operation and it working. Sometimes it is easy to predict a delay. For a new 777 it could have required a spare flown in from another airport. If it came from SEA on a red eye flight, then an 8:30 departure makes sense.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

blueflyer

Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:12 am

If I'm not mistaken DFW is a major MTC base for AA.

You are in fact mistaken. AA obviously has some maintenance capabilities at DFW and three hangars (one ex Delta for narrowbodies and two big enough for a single widebody each), but their "major" MRO location is TUL. DFW has a spares store and I've seen engines parked behind one of the hangars, so I am assuming they can change one on some of their models if necessary, but they certainly do not have the capability to handle all the possible issues they could have with their fleet.