Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

EL-AL
Topic Author

Is 1 Hour Enough To Connect In ATL?

Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:51 am

I am probably the only person in the world who still didn't have the chance of connecting at ATL. I am currently looking at flights from DCA to PHX in October, and I found a DCA-ATL-PHX flight with Air Tran/Southwest for $200.

While takeoff and landing hours are fine, there is only 1 hour to connect at ATL, is that enough for this huge airport?

Thx
every day is a good day to fly

aerorobnz

RE: Is 1 Hour Enough To Connect In ATL?

Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:41 am

Personally I would never book anything that tight because I like to be in control and not rush. I dont see the point of rushing out of control and being it the whim of a minor airport variable going against you.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

DTWLAX

Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:39 am

If your flights are on time, one hour is more than enough to connect in ATL.
Air Tran and WN depart from concourse C and D, so the transfer time is negligible if you take the underground train.

toobz

Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:41 am

Yes. Should b fine. I've connected with waaaay less time in ATL.

flymia

Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:53 pm

As long as you are not delayed that is plenty of time. Transfer between terminals is very easy and quick at ATL. I agree that I usually prefer longer layovers incase of delays and I enjoy walking around the airport. Especially ATL, but 60min is plenty of time.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

socaldl

Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:35 pm

As others have said, as long are your incoming flight is not delayed, you will be fine. There will be a little room for error but not much. A few weeks ago I flew BNA-ATL-RDU with 1 hour 15 min to connect in Atlanta. Shocker we were held up departing BNA and that left me with about 45 min to make the connection. I went gate to gate (B to A I believe, or vice versa) in no more than 10 minutes (given at that time of the morning the concourses weren't TOO packed). I made it to my gate just minutes before boarding began 30 minutes prior to departure. I obviously would have preferred more time, just to spend in the airport if nothing else, but you have to do what you have to do.

einsteinboricua

Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:04 pm

One hour is a good time to connect, especially since you're essentially flying on the same airline. They might be able to hold back your next flight in case of a really tight connection. However, flying FL/WN and connecting to DL is a different story.

I've seen DL come up with really crazy connections. Try 38 minutes in MSP.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

vatveng

Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:00 pm

I've connected on AirTran in ATL in less than 40 minutes. It helped that both flights were on C. That might be cutting it close if you arrive at C1 and depart from D1, but 1 hour is definitely doable.

MesaFlyGuy

Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:16 am

I've done 40 minute layovers in ATL and made it with time to spare (the most recent had me going from A to D). Though I guess it all depends on the runway and taxi configurations that will affect whether or not you make it to the gate on time.
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

MSPNWA

Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:06 am

With a guarantee that your connecting flight will be in the same concourse or just one away, I'd be okay with an hour layover. Won't be fun, but if the flight is close to on-time you'll fine.

If the layover was any shorter, or if it was on DL, I'd be nervous. In the domestic DL hub network, ATL has the longest potential unassisted walk between gates. Even if you make it, it's usually a stressful experience. I prefer 90 minutes or more.

EL-AL
Topic Author

Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:55 pm

Thx for everyone, so now i know that 1 hour is enough for connection. I think i will wait a while till i book, maybe I will find something cheaper. Delta by the way was $75 more expensive.
every day is a good day to fly

rwy04lga

Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:42 pm

Quoting EL-AL (Reply 10):
Delta by the way was $75 more expensive.

Well worth it, IMHO.
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

CV990A

Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:05 pm

Quoting toobz (Reply 3):
Yes. Should b fine. I've connected with waaaay less time in ATL.

20 minutes is my record at ATL- and that includes a change from Terminal C to A. I was one of the last to board my connecting flight, and amazingly, my checked luggage even made it! I should note, this was due to a late inbound flight; I've comfortably done 60-min layovers in ATL more times than I care to think.
Kittens Give Morbo Gas