Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

StlHsvSfoSan
Topic Author

Connecting AA To KLM At ORD

Fri May 09, 2014 3:13 am

I am looking to make my flight reservations from STL to connect to the KLM flight from ORD to AMS departing at 4:10 PM.

The flights I am looking at are AA arriving at ORD at
- 1:25 PM (allowing 2h45m for connecting to KLM) on a CRJ-700 (operated by Envoy)
- 11:15 AM (allowing 4h55m for connecting to KLM) on an ERJ-175. (operated by Republic)

My questions are
- Is 2 hours and 45 minutes long enough to make the connection from AA at T3 - collecting checked bag, taking the tram over to T5, checking in at KLM, and going through security ? Or should I take the earlier flight to allow more time for summertime thunderstorms, etc ?
- With the recent improvements at T5 at ORD, have the security lines gotten shorter (I am flying J on KLM - have they added any priority lanes) ?
- Should I be able to check my bag all the way through from STL to AMS, even with separate tickets for the STL-ORD and ORD-AMS legs ?
- Anyone have preferences between CRJ-700 and ERJ-175 ?

I am in avoid-UA-at-all-costs mode right now, but that is a different thread.

kann123air

RE: Connecting AA To KLM At ORD

Fri May 09, 2014 9:36 pm

I'd go with the ERJ-175. Newer aircraft, and as you mentioned, longer connection time in case of a thunderstorm or delay.
Going for great

KBUF

Sat May 10, 2014 2:40 am

And you'll probably need to recheck your bag, since AA and KL are in different alliances (Oneworld and Skyteam, respectively).

A333MSPtoAMS

Sat May 10, 2014 12:51 pm

Quoting KBUF (Reply 2):
And you'll probably need to recheck your bag, since AA and KL are in different alliances (Oneworld and Skyteam, respectively).

The OP is already aware that they need to recheck their bag, as indicated by their statement listed below.

Quoting StlHsvSfoSan (Thread starter):
My questions are
- Is 2 hours and 45 minutes long enough to make the connection from AA at T3 - collecting checked bag, taking the tram over to T5, checking in at KLM, and going through security ? Or should I take the earlier flight to allow more time for summertime thunderstorms, etc ?
As of Dec 2019 I've flown 457,440 miles on 270 flights on 54 airplane types with 60 airlines traveling thru 104 airports. I've visited 60 countries.
http://cronkflies.com

coachclass

Sat May 10, 2014 1:23 pm

I'm sure that AA has an interline agreement with KLM to transfer bags from their respective flights. So, when you check in have your bags checked to the final destination. The only caveat is that you need to make sure that there is enough time for the bags to connect at ORD.

MH017

Sat May 10, 2014 2:49 pm

yes, you can thru-check-in your bags, even though on seperate tickets: just show them both to the check-in agent and ask them to be labeled to the final destination AMS

yes, I would go for the E75, giving you a better and more relaxed transfer...

yes, by flying Business Class on KLM, you should be given a priority lane security pass, as well as Lounge access to wait for your flight: ENJOY !!!
don't throw away tomorrow !