bps3458
Topic Author

KLM - Preferred Seating

Mon May 19, 2014 2:14 am

Hi all,

my sister just told me she forked out roughly USD 82.00 for "preferred seating" on her upcoming flight form IAH to AMS. Had a look at her reservation and noticed she now had 23 A and C for herself and her son on the 747 Combi. She is now trying to tell me that the middle seat 23 B will be blocked and no one will be sitting there.

I am pretty sure this seat will not be blocked and will be occupied if flight is full, correct ? If this is the case, I am trying to work out why my sister paid an extra USD 82.00. Is it simply the right to sit further up front ? Seems like a waste of money to me.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Cheers from Brisbane,

Peter

MH017

RE: KLM - Preferred Seating

Mon May 19, 2014 2:41 pm

23B will not be blocked off for her, however, row 23 is an Economy Comfort seat with more legroom and recline than the regular Economy seat...it's a good deal IMHO ($82 for a roughly 10 hour flight)...
don't throw away tomorrow !

readytotaxi

Mon May 19, 2014 3:09 pm

Agree, no seat block there,perhaps she has misunderstood. the further you get to the front of the plane the quieter it is and as MH017 said an Economy Comfort seat is a good deal for a 10hr flight at that price.  
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

bps3458
Topic Author

Mon May 19, 2014 11:13 pm

Hi MH017 &Y readytotaxi,

thanks for your replies. Are you both certain that row 23 in a 747 C is an Economy Comfort Seat ? Had a look on seatguru.com and to me it looks like this a is standard economy row. If this is true really think the USD 82.00 are a waste of money especially if the middle seat is not blocked. Sounds to me the only benefit is to sit further up front.

Cheers from Brisbane,

Peter

Viscount724

Mon May 19, 2014 11:32 pm

Quoting bps3458 (Reply 3):
Are you both certain that row 23 in a 747 C is an Economy Comfort Seat ? Had a look on seatguru.com and to me it looks like this a is standard economy row. If this is true really think the USD 82.00 are a waste of money especially if the middle seat is not blocked. Sounds to me the only benefit is to sit further up front.

I agree. KLM website seat maps show rows 9 through 17 on the 744 and 74M as Economy Comfort (with extra legroom). Rows 22 through 27 (window and aisle seats only, not middle seats) are "Preferred seats", presumably because they're near the front. I wouldn't pay more for those seats.

readytotaxi

Tue May 20, 2014 2:26 pm

Quoting bps3458 (Thread starter):

Okay peter I have found a seat review which may be of some help.  http://thepointsguy.com/2011/04/klm-747-economy-comfort-review/

Get your sister to give us a trip report.   

readytotaxi

Tue May 20, 2014 3:08 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 4):
Rows 22 through 27 (window and aisle seats only, not middle seats) are "Preferred seats", presumably because they're near the front. I wouldn't pay more for those seats.

Peter I agree with Viscount724, that appaers to be just a Preferred seat. Not worth the money on reflection.

airbuseric

Tue May 20, 2014 8:12 pm

Similar on so many airlines, I think DL and also e.g. PR have 'preferred seats' near the front section of Economy Class. It's usually only the window and aisle seats. Nothing much special about it, and free of charge for Elite members of course.
"The whole world steps aside for the man who knows where he is going"

DTWLAX

Wed May 21, 2014 5:12 am

Quoting MH017 (Reply 1):
however, row 23 is an Economy Comfort seat with more legroom and recline than the regular Economy seat...it's a good deal IMHO ($82 for a roughly 10 hour flight)...

Row 23 on KLM 747s is NOT an Economy Comfort seat.
Economy Comfort is a separate cabin in the front of the regular Y cabin... I believe from rows 10 to 17.
And it costs way more than $82.

Row 23 is preferred seating with regular legroom and recline as other Y seats.
Paying $82 for the preferred seats is a big waste of money!!

bps3458
Topic Author

Thu May 22, 2014 4:27 am

Hi guys,

thanks for all your replies. Told my sister as soon as she booked that it was a waste of money. Should have given the cash to me when we meet in Germany in June.

Cheers from Brisbane,

Peter

SASMD82

Mon May 26, 2014 6:14 pm

Actually it is a preferred seat (as the main exit is just around the corner, door 2L) and not an Economy comfort zone seat. Check this link.