bps3458
Topic Author

Question About Spirit Airlines

Thu May 22, 2014 2:19 am

Hi all,

am attending a conference end of September in Houston and have just booked my flights from/to BNE-LAX on QF 15/16 in business class. Now I just need to get from/to LAX-IAH and thought about giving Spirit a go but after reading so many negative reviews (mainly from people who did not properly read the small print) still thought I'd get some advice from people who have flown them and followed their procedures

1) Will most likely only fly them once LAX to IAH Sept. 26 and IAH to LAX Oct. 4, 14. Is it still worth it to sign up for the $9 Fare Club prior to booking ? Intend to book a big seat on both flights (6'7" tall), will have carry-on (bigger than a backpack) and will have 1 suitcase to check-in. Have absolutely no intention of purchasing any drinks or food on board. Will be able to print boarding passes at home/hotel prior to trip.

2) How is their on time record in general ? Intend to use the 10:25 AM service on the 26th from LAX and the 4:15 PM service from IAH back to LAX which should give me plenty of time to check in for my QF flight back to BNE.

Sounds like their customer service is pretty average when things go wrong but I will obviously have international travel insurance to cover out of pocket expenses if flight gets delayed, hotel is needed if QF flight back to BNE is missed, etc.

By the way, no one needs to tell me that QF has a flight in to DFW. Had a look at that as well but the fare in business was approx. AUD 1500.00 more than the air fare in to LAX.

Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers from Brisbane,

Peter

foppishbum

RE: Question About Spirit Airlines

Thu May 22, 2014 3:07 am

I flew LAX/ORD roundtrip two years ago in the Big Front Seats. When we boarded the LAX to ORD flight, there were peanut shells all over the floor in row 1 across the aisle. Granted it's the previous passenger's fault for not keeping things clean, I thought NK could have spent a little more effort to make the cabin look good before boarding the next batch of passengers. My flight was delayed for about 30 minutes due to late arrival of aircraft (although this could happen to any airlines). The seats were old and very weathered (although I think they have put in new seats on many aircrafts since then). FA's on board seemed to rather be somewhere else but we didn't really care about it. They were chatting pretty loudly that I could hear the conversation in row 1...on a red eye. Anyway, I just chalked it up to "you get what you paid for". I personally won't fly NK on anything 2+ hours.

It is possible that I just had a very bad experience with NK but that one experience was bad enough that my s.o. and I would never fly NK again. Just sayin'...

[Edited 2014-05-21 20:08:52]
TPE X LAX X NYC :airplane:

bps3458
Topic Author

Thu May 22, 2014 4:26 am

Quoting foppishbum (Reply 1):
They were chatting pretty loudly that I could hear the conversation in row 1...on a red eye. Anyway, I just chalked it up to "you get what you paid for". I personally won't fly NK on anything 2+ hours.

I think I can live with that especially as both flights are during the day time. I'll just put on my headsets and dig in to a good book.

Any other experiences, comments, suggestions especially if it is worthwhile to join 9$ Fare Club for one round trip.

Cheers,

Peter

jetblueguy22

Fri May 23, 2014 9:21 pm

I flew them back in February in the BFS and honestly I thought they were fine. F/As were pleasant and they got me from point A to B safely. You just have to keep in mind that when you fly them they aren't going to be a QF in J. You said you read the fine print so you should be good to go. I would for sure fly them again.
Hope this helps!
Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

L1011

Fri May 23, 2014 11:15 pm

I recently flew them from BWI to LAS and back in a Big Front Seat. It was a first class seat without first class service. Plenty of legroom and a friendly crew. I enjoyed my flights with Spirit.

Bob Bradley
Fly Eastern's Golden Falcon DC-7B

bps3458
Topic Author

Mon May 26, 2014 1:38 am

jetblueguy22 & L1011,

I'll hold you accountable if thisdecision turns out to be a disaster   . Went ahead and booked flights today and hope I have all based covered. Round-trip is more than US$ 300.00 cheaper than first class ticket on United and I can honestly go 3 hours without a meal, without entertainment and free drinks. Let me know if I missed something

1) Joined the $9 Fare Club. Just have to remember to cancel membership when I get back.
2) Paid for flights, 1 piece of carry-on and 1 checked-bag for both flights and apparently saved $ 36 trough the $9 Fare Club Membership.
3) Will print boarding pass in Brisbane before I board my flight to LAX and will do the same on the return at my sister's house so no need to use the check-in facilites of Spirit at the airports.
4) Just need to make sure my checked in luggage does not exceed 40 lbs.

Looking forward to my first ride on the Greyhound of the Skies.

Cheers,

Peter

jetblueguy22

Mon May 26, 2014 4:53 am

Quoting bps3458 (Reply 5):
I'll hold you accountable if thisdecision turns out to be a disaster

Uh oh  . You should be good. Like I said just don't expect QF international J and you will be good to go!
Safe travels!
Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club