washingtonflyer
Topic Author

Minimum Connection Time At LAX?

Fri May 23, 2014 12:00 pm

Anyone know what the minimum connection time is for international (Qantas) to domestic (American) at LAX?

We've somehow managed to get an itinerary booked from BNE to LAX and onto DCA. The QF flight arrives at 6:40 and the AA flight ex LAX is scheduled for 7:55. This cannot be "legal", can it?

aklrno

RE: Minimum Connection Time At LAX?

Sat May 24, 2014 12:57 am

I don't know if its legal, but it's possible if
1. The incoming flight isn't late
2. You are off the plane first. It could take 15 minutes from the very back.
3. You can get through CBP and bag claim in 20 minutes.
4. You can get through T4 security in 15 minutes.

I assume these times are in the morning, not evening. If so, and the flights are on a single ticket, AA should be able to get you onto a later flight. I would never buy a ticket like that. Having said that, a couple of weeks ago I got from my seat on NZ (terminal 2) to the gate in T4 in less than 30 minutes. I was in the seat by the door, had no checked bags, was first to CBP and I know the shortest way from T2-T4.

In your case T4 is right next to your arrival in TBIT. It's CBP and bag claim I'd be worrying about.

DTWLAX

Sat May 24, 2014 4:51 am

Quoting aklrno (Reply 1):
In your case T4 is right next to your arrival in TBIT. It's CBP and bag claim I'd be worrying about.

And the security at T4 during the morning rush hour ... That can be pretty bad at that time of the day.

But if you miss your connection, AA should be able to put you on the next flight if the entire route is on a single ticket.

LAXintl

Sat May 24, 2014 2:16 pm

Published MCT is 1:30, so not legal connection.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

bps3458

Mon May 26, 2014 1:27 am

Hi washingtonflyher,

I believe that is cutting it really close. From experience I like to give myself at least 120 minutes to transfer in LAX. Big coincidence you started this topic as I will be on QF 15 myself end of September and am considering my onwards connection options to IAH and I think I'll give Spirit a go as the have a flight at 10:25 am.

Would love to hear if you make you tight connection. With a bit of running and luck at CBP you may have a shot.

Cheers from Brisbane,

Peter

777Jet

Mon May 26, 2014 10:28 am

FWIW a few years ago I booked a flight on Southwest AUS-LAX and allowed a 9hr connection before connecting to Air China LAX-PEK-SYD. I know I was risking having two separate tickets but I thought 9hrs would be fine and the terminals are right next to each other (T1 to T2). Anyway, after a delayed flight into AUS from DFW because of weather by 1hr, we eventually took off and then straight away the IRU failed and we landed after 8 mins. After another 6.5hrs and getting access to a new aircraft, Southwest operated the flight basically 8hrs late. In fact, it was so late, as we landed in LAX and were taxing to the gate I could see pax already boarding our Air China 77W. I can't say how I was feeling. Anyway, I sent my wife to T2 to talk to Air China while I waited for the luggage. 15mins later my wife came back and said they had checked her in but needed my passport to reserve my seat. 15 mins later my luggage arrived. I forgot I handed my passport to my wife and start yelling like an idiot "has anybody seen a passport...???" - then after I get funny looks I remember I gave it to her. 30 mins to go before departure time. I run with a trolley with 4 large 30kg luggage items on it on the ground level from T1 to T2. A cop yells at me to slow down but I had built up so much speed I just ignored him. Then I couldn't work out how to get from the ground arrival level up to the departure check-in level. There was one tiny escalator - about 2 feet wide. I rammed the trolley on it with about 120kg of luggage and held on for my life and made it up. I ran into the empty T2 check-in area and yelled out "I'm here!" - like a fool! My wife was talking to the check-in lady and they had already given my assigned seat away to somebody on stand-by. Too bad for them... The lady re-opened check-in (as it was only 20mins till departure time) and removed the stand-by person who got my seat and got me onto the flight - she just did it - I didn't say a word - she could probably see that I was about to die. I love Air China. The security check point was empty but 2 officers came back to help us through. Everyone was already seated on the plane and I was sweating for the next 2 hrs but I made it! So, no time is too much or safe to allow between connections at LAX. If you are ticketed on the same booking / ticket I wouldn't worry as the airlines should accommodate you if you miss a tight connection. I'd even risk a short connection when using the same ticket. However, for those who book two separate tickets - 10 hrs might not even be enough - especially domestic to international with two non-alliance airlines. We are doing the same thing this year and have allowed a full 24hrs - one night - between flights. Anyway, that was my experience from the most stressful day of my life!
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

RyanairGuru

Mon May 26, 2014 10:49 am

Quoting washingtonflyer (Thread starter):
Anyone know what the minimum connection time is for international (Qantas) to domestic (American) at LAX?

According to my travel agent 2 hours is the "legal" minimum for international-domestic at LAX.

I didn't know until he told me, but carriers can (and do) ticket itineraries below the minimum connection time, so you can technically connect in less time but it is really pushing it.
Worked Hard, Flew Right