Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

texdravid
Topic Author

Alaska Airlines Inflight Electronics/wifi

Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:26 pm

I fly DFW-SEA-DFW twice monthly and fly a mixture of AS and AA.

On the AA flights, which are usually 738's, I have flown the brand new IFE at every seat and USB connections/electrical power next to screens, as well as the older electrical power below my seat. Usually that's enough.

However, AS flies 738's and mostly 739ER's. While some (rarely) have the Recaro seats and electrical connections, most don't have the electrical connections at all. Forget about every seat IFE and USB's.

Why does AS scrimp on this?? They are a great airline and I love their employees and F/A's, but to have AA beat you at technology??

I am somewhat disappointed in AS for the tech shortfall.
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

EA CO AS

RE: Alaska Airlines Inflight Electronics/wifi

Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:00 pm

Quoting texdravid (Thread starter):
However, AS flies 738's and mostly 739ER's. While some (rarely) have the Recaro seats and electrical connections, most don't have the electrical connections at all. Forget about every seat IFE and USB's.

AS is in the process of retrofitting all 738/739/739ER aircraft with the Recaro seats, the 110V/USB power ports at every seat, and as of today 42 of 94 aircraft are complete, with the remainder to be completed by year's end. In addition, Gogo streaming servers are being installed late 2014/early 2015 for streaming of movies, music and other digital content aboard all AS mainline equipment.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

EA CO AS

Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:31 pm

And as I write this I'm happily charging my iPad from seat 17A aboard N309AS, a retrofitted B737-900.  
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Cactus739

Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:46 pm

The new Recaro seats are very comfortable... I got them on 3 of my 4 AS flights a couple weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised.

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 1):
AS is in the process of retrofitting all 738/739/739ER aircraft with the Recaro seats, the 110V/USB power ports at every seat, and as of today 42 of 94 aircraft are complete

The seats are also done separately from the power connections too right? I was on N464AS SEA-MCI a couple weeks ago and it had the new seats but no power...
You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

grrtvc

Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:57 pm

Currently there are 42 of 94 a/c fitted with power.

There was an announcement a few months back about an improved IFE coming later this year or early next.

OB1504

Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:02 pm

Where are the power ports on the AS 737s with the new Recaro seats? I was on 403 last week and couldn't find any, but the interior was certainly impressive and I found the seats nice.

grrtvc

Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:12 pm

Some of the a/c have had the seats swapped but power has not been added. The seat swap started before the addition of power was added. There are some birds with the new seats but not the power.

For those that have the power, the ports are located on the seat back in front of you below the tray table.

hiflyeras

Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:19 pm

Link to AS press release...with link to photos.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/alaska...buts-first-aircraft-130000877.html

Love having power at the seat and excited about the streaming on-board servers. This will replace the current hand-held IFE device but crews will still have a limited number of tablets for rent to those that don't have a personal device. I'm hoping that there is some free content along with the charge for movies, etc. Seems that the latest releases will only be available on the rented tablet due to distribution requirements. That's a shame but sounds like there should be plenty to choose from wirelessly.

texdravid
Topic Author

Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:20 pm

Having the new seats without power makes no sense to me.
Why the piecemeal additions?

To have a top-notch airline be gadget poor/tech poor is surprising to me.
The whole Digi-player action is also very old.
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

hiflyeras

Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:00 pm

Quoting texdravid (Reply 8):
Having the new seats without power makes no sense to me.
Why the piecemeal additions?

Recaro doesn't install the 'plugs'...they're provided by another vendor. So a new aircraft arrives from the Renton factory with the interior installed but still has to be pulled from service for the 110v/USB install. Would be nice if they could time it so it's done prior to that airframe going into service but it's not...it's competing with existing a/c going in for the install as well.

Cactus739

Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:51 pm

Out of curiosity why was this moved to polls and preferences?
You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

thegman

Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:34 pm

AA also has a TON of aircraft that do not have outlets/PTVs so consider yourself lucky to use a route that pretty much always has 738s