Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

KLAXAirport
Topic Author

US Or AB To Europe In J

Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:10 pm

Which one would you guys do in J, LAX-DUS-TXL-BUD on AB in J and Y within Europe or LAX-PHL-FCO-HEL-BUD on US and AY all in J? The only problem is the connection in TXL of 45 mins.

Cheers,
KLAXAirport   

planeguy727

RE: US Or AB To Europe In J

Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:49 am

The US Envoy product on the 332 and 333 is great. Funny to see AA just now installing a newer version of this product.

AB seems to have all aisle access on their 330s as well. Not tried that product but have been quite happy with the US product. If US is using the 762 on your planned route then I suspect AB wins out. Flying US would also help you overcome your concerns with a 45 minute cx at TXL.
I want to live in an old and converted 727...

LAXintl

Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:13 am

Why such convoluted itineraries to reach BUD?

How about something simple 1-stop via European hub. AF, BA, KL, LH, LX, TK etc nonstop from LAX and then single connection.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

KLAXAirport
Topic Author

Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:50 am

Quoting planeguy727 (Reply 1):

The US Envoy product on the 332 and 333 is great. Funny to see AA just now installing a newer version of this product.

AB seems to have all aisle access on their 330s as well. Not tried that product but have been quite happy with the US product. If US is using the 762 on your planned route then I suspect AB wins out. Flying US would also help you overcome your concerns with a 45 minute cx at TXL.

Thanks. It's luckily the 333 so I'm in good shape on that part.

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 2):

Why such convoluted itineraries to reach BUD?

How about something simple 1-stop via European hub. AF, BA, KL, LH, LX, TK etc nonstop from LAX and then single connection.

Using an AAdvantage reward ticket. I lucked out booking the LAX-DUS-TXL-BUD because it put me straight into Europe but problem was 45 mins in TXL.

Cheers,
KLAXAirport   

lpdal

Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:39 am

I would go on US, because it's going to be gone soon enough. Air Berlin is probably going to be around for awhile. I flew on FL (AirTran) and US just to cross them off my list. So glad I did.  

-LPDAL
TWU represented. All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

KLAXAirport
Topic Author

Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:54 am

Quoting lpdal (Reply 4):

I would go on US, because it's going to be gone soon enough. Air Berlin is probably going to be around for awhile. I flew on FL (AirTran) and US just to cross them off my list. So glad I did.  

-LPDAL

Never thought about it like that. A matter of fact I might go with US just because of that.

Cheers,
KLAXAirport   

roseflyer

Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:57 pm

Quoting KLAXAirport (Thread starter):
LAX-DUS-TXL-BUD on AB in J and Y within Europe or LAX-PHL-FCO-HEL-BUD on US and AY all in J?

I would seriously consider AB. US has a very good seat on their transatlantic A330s. Overall they have a good transatlantic product. The problem is that their domestic F is about the worst premium product in the Americas. While PHL-FCO will be a good flight, it is only about 730-8hrs in the air. With the 630pm departure time from PHL, your body clock will consider that 330 in the afternoon. You will eat dinner and unless you drink yourself to sleep, you will barely get a couple of hours of sleep on the flight. You will wake up in Rome exhausted and then have two more flights to take. The jetlag would be brutal. So while you have a great business class seat, you will not get to enjoy it.

With AB you get over 10 hours and a departure time that is more conduscive to sleeping. You should be able to get 5-8 hours of sleep on the flight and wake up rested for your next flights. While economy isn't good, you at least will be more rested.

To reduce jetlag, I would take AB. Domestic First in the US is terrible and not worth it. Enjoy international business for the majority of your trip and you will probably feel better in the end. US east coast to Europe red eye flights are just too short in my mind to get enough sleep, and with a departure before 9pm eastern time, if your body clock is on west coast time, you will not sleep much.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

OA260

Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:57 pm

US Envoy is lovely. I did it a while back and so glad I did .

lpdal

Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:59 pm

Quoting Roseflyer (Reply 6):
The problem is that their domestic F is about the worst premium product in the Americas.

Every short haul domestic F is the same. PDB, snack basket service, free alcohol, and a bigger seat. Maybe a meal service if you're lucky. Also, US's domestic first seat is better than any EU carriers blocked out Economy seat business class.

Domestic First in the US is terrible and not worth it.

As far as I can see, the only benefit to domestic C in Europe is more meals, but you have the huge caveat that there is no true F product, only three repurposed Y seats with the center one turned into a table.

I would take US any day over AB because US is going to be gone soon. Just like I'd take FL over DL because they also are going to be gone as well.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 7):
US Envoy is lovely. I did it a while back and so glad I did .

I also experienced the Envoy suite recently, on a short domestic hop PHL-MCO: US Airways Envoy Suites First Class FLL-PHL-MCO (by LPDAL May 20 2014 in Trip Reports)

Great service, humorous, professional, and personable F/A's made for a great daytrip to catch US before they are gone.   

-LPDAL
TWU represented. All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

KLAXAirport
Topic Author

Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:48 pm

I would seriously consider AB.

You also brought up a great point. What's really wanting me to do the DUS flight is because I get to Europe in one shot, however, 45 mins in TXL is pulling me away. Also taking into consideration that US is going away soon is making this a tough decision.   

Cheers,
KLAXAirport   

roseflyer

Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:08 pm

Quoting lpdal (Reply 8):
The problem is that their domestic F is about the worst premium product in the Americas.

Every short haul domestic F is the same. PDB, snack basket service, free alcohol, and a bigger seat. Maybe a meal service if you're lucky. Also, US's domestic first seat is better than any EU carriers blocked out Economy seat business class.

I don't really consider LAX-PHL short haul. It is 5 hours of no IFE. I find the US domestic first seat a bit tight as far as pitch goes. Also, I don't know if US has been improving its meals, but the last couple of domestic F transcons that I flew with them offered far worse food and no choice than AA does. Has AA improved US catering yet?

Quoting lpdal (Reply 8):
Domestic First in the US is terrible and not worth it.

As far as I can see, the only benefit to domestic C in Europe is more meals, but you have the huge caveat that there is no true F product, only three repurposed Y seats with the center one turned into a table.

Domestic F is better than economy in the US and in my opinion better than most domestic C products in Europe. However, if I had a choice between a nonstop lie flat business class seat with 4 course meals and on demand IFE or domestic F followed by international J, I choose nonstop every time. For the journey across the United States, I would certainly prefer long haul business over a long domestic F flight followed by a transatlantic flight. Having lived on the west coast of the US, I would always try to get the 10-11 hour nonstop flight to europe over connecting on the east coast of the US.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

lpdal

Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:27 pm

Quoting Roseflyer (Reply 10):
I don't really consider LAX-PHL short haul. It is 5 hours of no IFE.

Most EU carriers have no IFE at all. Norwegian?

Also, I don't know if US has been improving its meals, but the last couple of domestic F transcons that I flew with them offered far worse food and no choice than AA does. Has AA improved US catering yet?

US along with all the other carriers here in America have been cutting back on traditional F meal service, thus the snack basket is becoming much more prevalent. For the most part, meal service on all carriers here is suitably described as "meh" not including transcons. Most airlines consider transcons with full-on J class catering to be from New York to Los Angeles or San Fransisco.

Domestic F is better than economy in the US and in my opinion better than most domestic C products in Europe. However, if I had a choice between a nonstop lie flat business class seat with 4 course meals and on demand IFE or domestic F followed by international J, I choose nonstop every time. For the journey across the United States, I would certainly prefer long haul business over a long domestic F flight followed by a transatlantic flight. Having lived on the west coast of the US, I would always try to get the 10-11 hour nonstop flight to europe over connecting on the east coast of the US.

Being tired/hungover for a day seems to be worth catching what will soon be a defunct carrier as an example:
AirTran Business Class Delta F FLL-ATL-CLE-ATL-FLL (by LPDAL Mar 10 2014 in Trip Reports)
One-way AirTran Business Class FLL-ATL was an astounding $360 USD. The service was kind of mediocre, there was no coffee available for PDBs, and the snack basket was a cardboard box cut in half. Considering all that, I still think it was worth it to catch FL before they were gone, even with that notwithstanding service and crazy price. Plus, FL prices are ultra high now, glad I got them out of the way. Their last flight is on December 28th of this year!

-LPDAL

[Edited 2014-07-18 11:27:26]

KLAXAirport
Topic Author

Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:29 pm

I would always try to get the 10-11 hour nonstop flight to europe over connecting on the east coast of the US.

With all that said, do you think I can make 45 mins in TXL coming domestic from DUS?

Cheers,
KLAXAirport   

HELyes

Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:35 pm

Quoting lpdal (Reply 11):
Most EU carriers have no IFE at all. Norwegian?

Not on intra-European flights, most (?) of Norwegians's B738 offer free Wifi though.

skiaplg

Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:09 pm

I would chose AB. With either itinerary you have two intra-europe business flights, neither of which will be stellar and with the US itinerary you will have more time in a domestic F, less time in international J, and more time (due to segment length) in intra-europe J. With AB you have twice as much time in long haul J and less time in intra-europe J.

The only reason I would fly US is because it will soon be gone - but I wouldn't put my own comfort on the line just to fly US unless I'd never flown US long haul before.

KLAXAirport
Topic Author

Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:26 pm

Quoting skiaplg (Reply 14):

Only question is, will I make my 45 min connection in Berlin coming from Dusseldorf?

skiaplg

Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:09 pm

Quoting KLAXAirport (Reply 15):
Only question is, will I make my 45 min connection in Berlin coming from Dusseldorf?

TXL is a small airport and you'll be doing a schengen-schengen transfer so I think you won't have to go through security again and you'll have gone through immigration at DUS. If your flight arrives on time I would think you would be totally fine but I don't have personal experience transferring with AB at TXL so can't be sure.

HELyes

Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:40 pm

TXL web site says: "Please allow for at least 45 minutes in order to make your way from one aeroplane to the next..."

https://www.berlin-airport.de/en/travellers-txl/at-the-airport/flight-connections/

If you miss your connection flight bacause of a delay they just put you on the next flight, it's their headache then. Or do you have your flights on separate tickets?

KLAXAirport
Topic Author

Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:24 am

Quoting HELyes (Reply 17):
If you miss your connection flight bacause of a delay they just put you on the next flight, it's their headache then. Or do you have your flights on separate tickets?

Same reservation. How long before departure do they close the gate?

Cheers,
KLAXAirport   

CXfirst

Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:02 am

Quoting KLAXAirport (Thread starter):
FCO-HEL-BUD

That's quite a detour! As an a.netter, not all that bad, however, as someone who just had two longish flights, where as previously posted, jetlag could be a problem, I would choose AB.

Plus, the big winner for me would be that LAX-DUS is longer than PHL-FCO, and therefore you get a greater part of your trip in long-haul J class, which is where you'd get most value for your trip.

-CXfirst

mhkansan

Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:39 am

AA's got the nonstop to HEL from ORD this summer and AY is doing MIA and JFK as usual if HEL is your preferred transit point to BUD. Usually award availability is open on ORD-HEL. So the 767 J seats are a bit slopey, you still get pretty fantastic service in AA J!

HELyes

Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:23 am

Quoting mhkansan (Reply 20):
AA's got the nonstop to HEL from ORD this summer and AY is doing MIA and JFK as usual if HEL is your preferred transit point to BUD.

Actually AA's ORD-HEL summer service started in 2011 already. AY will return to MIA next winter season after a break, starting Dec 16. If travelling in J my choice would be JFK-HEL, a flat bed guaranteed.

Quoting KLAXAirport (Reply 18):
How long before departure do they close the gate?

Haven't flown AB for ages but I believe it's the typical 10-15 minutes. And it's likely they wait for a while for the passengers coming from a delayed flight.