b777a340fan
Topic Author

Any Problems With Slanted Or Reverse F/J Seats?

Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:27 am

I wanted to ask whether passengers who have flown F/J with either slanted or backward/reverse seats experienced malaise, awkwardness, or uncomfortability? It seems quite awkward to me.

roseflyer

RE: Any Problems With Slanted Or Reverse F/J Seats

Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:41 am

My biggest gripe is with the angled herringbone seats that face away from the window. You can't see out if the window in those seats and spend your flight either looking at Ife, a book, or someone else's feet. For Air New Zealand it is fine since every flight is over water at night and there is nothing to look at. For the rest like delta air canada or virgin, I prefer other seats.

I have no problem flying backwards. Actually sometimes I prefer it. A plane flies at 3 degrees or so nose up attitude so sometimes I feel like the blood is rushing to my head in a forward facing flat seat so I tend to lift the back up a bit. This isn't a problem when facing backwards.

The best for me is window facing reverse herringbone which are becoming popular after cx and weber came up with their seat. I like the privacy and view. Other wise traditional side by side is fine.

The only drawback for seats that do not face forward or backward is the awkward seat belts. The regulations require either an airbag in the seatbelt which is most common or a shoulder strap. I don't like the big heavy seatbelt, but they are required if the seat is more than 15 degrees offset ( I think).
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

aloges

Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:44 pm

My only experience with those is from a ride on a LH 748 (upper deck), where the slant is rather light compared to other configurations. So it was the least of my worries and other things bothered me a lot more: I barely fit into the seat and the upholstery/padding was very uncomfortable for me.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

fbgdavidson

Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:05 pm

Quoting Roseflyer (Reply 1):

I have no problem flying backwards. Actually sometimes I prefer it. A plane flies at 3 degrees or so nose up attitude so sometimes I feel like the blood is rushing to my head in a forward facing flat seat so I tend to lift the back up a bit. This isn't a problem when facing backwards.

Same! On BA I've sleep backwards in the forward facing F seats. FAs usually think it's my first time flying F and don't know how the seat works or try to fob me off with some safety spiel. In the morning I've had some curious FAs come and ask why as they've never seen it before.

I'll pick rearward facing seats when I get the chance too. On BA that means added privacy but have done it on other carriers too where offered.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

KPWMSpotter

Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:09 pm

The outward facing herringbone seats are great. DL's A330s and 747s face the window, which is perfect for watching the scenery go by. The sensation of takeoff is a little odd, since you slide into the corner of the seat instead of being pushed back, but nothing truly uncomfortable or un-nerving.

I try to avoid the true herringbone seats, I'd much rather look out the window than at my neighbor across the aisle.
I reject your reality and substitute my own...

lpdal

Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:12 am

I flew US Airways' Envoy Suite product on May 17th.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5039/14214677571_b817b8326d_c.jpg
US Airways Envoy Suites First Class FLL-PHL-MCO (by LPDAL May 20 2014 in Trip Reports)

I didn't feel very weird on takeoff, and it was great to have a suite on a two hour domestic flight. I also like that US decided not to install headrests on their suite product, since I always sleep with my arm under my pillow. One con however, was my arm distance to the suites' three windows. Since I was in row four, the second to last row of Envoy, I would often have to crane my upper body into strange positions to get the wing and engine into pictures:

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2937/14194689506_265b9a05d4_c.jpg

I've noticed that Airbus windows are much tinier than their competitors' viewports, so maybe that is more of an airframe manufacturer flaw.

P.S. US Airways was the first airline to introduce a business class suite in America.

The only other international seat I've been in is DL's former A330 angle-flat seat on BOS-AMS-BOS--former Northwest Airlines World Business Class hard product, to be specific. Those are all gone now, I believe.

-LPDAL
All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.