IAHflyer97
Topic Author

EK A380 IAH-DXB. What To Expect?

Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:12 pm

So I'm loosely planning a trip to Dubai for after the first of the year. I'm not sure if I'll be able to yet, but I'll try my best to get on it. On December 3, EK is upgrading their 77W out of IAH to an A380. I would be flying in Y if I'm able to go. So what should I expect on the flight? What sort of food options? Seat advice? Any details on your experiences would be great! Thanks!

-Daniel
A man is only as big as the amount of strings on his guitar.

777Jet

RE: EK A380 IAH-DXB. What To Expect?

Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:14 am

I sent you a message, mate, but seats 49JK or AB (the second last row in the forward Y section are good). You get a good view of the front of the wing / engines if you look back but the wing or nothing else blocks your view. Also, it is quite at the front and if the second door is used then it is right behind you so you will be one of the first off to beat the queues! Also, there are a few rows in front of you so you can take in the cabin atmosphere and take some cabin pics including plenty of other seats if you like. Don't sit in 50 or the last row of any section as the seat may not fully recline and I can assure that row 50 only has a partial window view and you will need to lean forward to see out of the window. But... maybe you would want an isle on such a long flight? Also, the crew rest area is a boxed in area in the middle section of the last 5 or so rows of Y on the main deck so if you sit either side of that you will only be able to see out of the window of your side and have an ugly wall to the isle side... Check seatguru as well as plenty of pics on this site... As for the service - excellent!

[Edited 2014-07-30 20:17:01]
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

directorguy

Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:25 am

You can check out the dining options on all EK flights here. If you search close to your departure date, you will get the actual menu. If you search now, you will get an idea of what to expect.

http://www.emirates.com/english/flyi...43b4e057e582de9f29be563b51492a7b73

IAHflyer97
Topic Author

Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:05 am

Quoting directorguy (Reply 2):

For economy, that sounds freakin amazing! All of the options just sound outstanding! Thanks for the info from both of you!!
A man is only as big as the amount of strings on his guitar.

TWA772LR

Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:05 am

You can expect one less duty free shop. The one by D9 closed down and I asked my friend why and he said it was because they are adding the second Jetway to make it A380 capable.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

aerorobnz

Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:16 am

expect a generous but disorganised service and reasonable IFE in a typical wide A380 seat. You might get asked for your drink preference out of sequence to your meal service before or maybe after the meal service, and then it will take long enough that your meal will be finished and all of a sudden 3 different crew will bring you the same drink within 5 minutes. A variation of this has happened on all the EK flights I have had.

Don't get me wrong EK are a good enough airline, but they aren't polished like the really good airlines (in Y).
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

bps3458

Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:25 am

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 5):
expect a generous but disorganised service and reasonable IFE in a typical wide A380 seat. You might get asked for your drink preference out of sequence to your meal service before or maybe after the meal service, and then it will take long enough that your meal will be finished and all of a sudden 3 different crew will bring you the same drink within 5 minutes. A variation of this has happened on all the EK flights I have had.

Don't get me wrong EK are a good enough airline, but they aren't polished like the really good airlines (in Y).

Hi aerorobnz,

you hit the nail on the head. Have never flow EK in Y but all my experiences in C have been identical to your findings. Even on the short flight from BNE to AKL they somehow can't manage to sync the service even though the upper deck is nearly empty. I fly them for the seat and the IFE. While the menu sounds promising, always find the food very average.

Cheers from Brisbane,

Peter

flyenthu

Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:50 pm

I have flown this route a couple of times on 77Ws. One time in J, which was great. The rest in Y. EK's Y product in 77W is great. The seat width is a bit narrow due to 3-4-3, but it appears that A380 seats are better in that respect, and I have heard the cabin feels roomier. There are many food options as well, but I have gone with their cabin menu and have usually liked them. I bring a noise cancelling headset on these ultra longhauls- it makes a world of difference. BTW, if J seats are available, they sometimes upgrade for $990 one way.

Snader

Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:57 am

Ask for an exit-row seat at the check-in desk at the airport. If available you will get one for free. Worked for me on all 4 flights I've made with EK.