b777a340fan
Topic Author

UK Visa Question

Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:30 pm

I have a visa question and a luggage question for those who may have experienced a similar situation....

I will be traveling with my wife whose an Indian national to the UK. Her visa get approved for a stay between 9/1-9/15. We would like to spend some time in Paris before our trip to the UK, so she will get a visa to enter the Schengen territory. Our intended date for Paris would be from 8/25-9/1. So we are intending to buy a round-trip ticket from JFK-LHR (since it's cheaper), then another round-trip LHR-CDG. My question is: will she have any problems transferring in LHR to CDG if her visa is only valid from 9/1? Will ticket agent ask for a valid UK visa on 8/25?

On a side note, what is the procedure to transfer your luggage if you are flying with different airlines? For example, I fly JFK-LHR on BA and LHR-CDG on AF? Do I need to check in all over again? What if I buy BA JFK-LHR-CDG, but on different reservations? Will they check me in all the way to CDG? I don't know if I remember correctly, but I think BA and VS have an agreement in which each can transfer luggage all the way through, am I correct?

Thank you!

debonair

RE: UK Visa Question

Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:05 pm

As a check-In agent I am confronted with this problem every day; the visa must be valid ON ARRIVAL only. As long as you arrive on the 9th it is not a problem... But be careful, if you have a "single entry" remark, you won't be allowed to fly from Paris back to London - so check out for "multiple entries"!

Luggage trough check-in shouldn't be a problem on VS/BA - but as you are holding two different tickets and you will have to change Terminals VS T3 and BA T5 plus immigration I would rather stay at a cheap hotel one night @ LHR; it is so much less stressful!

baw217

Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:54 pm

An Indian passport holder needs a Transit visa for the UK, even if not going through passport control.

Details can be found here: http://www.gov.uk/transit-visa

If your bags are checked all the way through, she will need a Direct Airside Transit visa (DATV) and if they are not she will need a Visitor in Transit visa.

Regarding baggage, most carriers do have interline agreements with other airlines outside of thier alliance, however some check in agents may not check your bag all the way through unless its on the same airline/alliance or all the flights are on one single ticket. If you book a ticket on BA to LHR and a seperate ticket on AF to CDG, then BA will probably only check your bag to LHR, even though BA do have an interline agreement with AF.

Best way to do this is either fly directly to Paris, or if you need to go via LHR, book all on one carrier/alliance which in the case would be BA only, AA/BA or DL/AF, whilst the other option is using a travel agent to book the flights you want on different carriers on a single ticket.

VTORD

Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:02 pm

Does your wife have a valid permanent resident card issued after 1998? Then she may be exempt. If you go to the link given by baw217 you will see a link to "find out if you need a visa". Just follow the on screen instructions and it will take you to the exemptions page.

Didn't check the tickets, but why not fly to CDG since you already have a UK visa. Get the appropriate visa for France and even of the ticket might be a bit more expensive than your original idea, You don't have the added cost of the transit visa.