Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

slimshady
Topic Author

Stolen Items From Checked Luggage

Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:29 pm

Ok, here is the short story. We put the laptop in the checked luggage in OKC. We landed in LAX and there was no laptop. Gone-Zip-Nada.. Went to united, filed a claim, yadda yadda.. United responded and claimed this falls outside their limits of liability accompanied by a $500 travel voucher and a copy their contract of carriage.

She more (than I) is demanding that United pay for a new laptop, which I totally get but am not as passionate about, so any advice on how to calm down the Ms, or do we have a valid claim with United?

HPRamper

RE: Stolen Items From Checked Luggage

Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:40 pm

UA does have a certain limit of liability above which they do not pay unless additional insurance was purchased, in which case they will pay up to I believe $5,000. I find it interesting that they paid via a travel voucher rather than a check. Is this normal?

joeljack

Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:48 pm

Good friend on a flight, AA DFW-SEA and ran to make connection in DFW and AA made her gate check bag. Got to SEA and her jewelry was missing valued at several thousand dollars. She fought AA both by letters and phone calls but AA would not do anything, no voucher nothing because they say they are not responsible for jewelry in check luggage, even though she was forced to gate check. She was balling and had a miserable vacation because of it...several pieces were from her great grandma. Their family will never fly AA again and even her dad which was a AA elite switched to DL because of it.

Maverick623

Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:50 pm

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 1):
UA does have a certain limit of liability above which they do not pay unless additional insurance was purchased, in which case they will pay up to I believe $5,000. I find it interesting that they paid via a travel voucher rather than a check. Is this normal?

UA has zero liability, as the contract of carriage specifically doesn't cover electronics such as laptops.

The travel voucher is what bean counters call a "goodwill gesture".

Quoting slimshady (Thread starter):
so any advice on how to calm down the Ms

LOL. Men have been trying to figure out ways to calm women down since time immemorial.  
Quoting slimshady (Thread starter):
or do we have a valid claim with United?

Unfortunately, you do not. If it makes you feel better, it's far more likely the upstanding TSA agent that's protecting you from terrorists stole the laptop. You could file a theft complaint with them, although it won't do any good as they feel they don't have to listen to anyone.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

ADent

Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:05 pm

Generally laptops are not covered. From United's Contract of Carriage.

Quote:
EXCLUSIONS:
UA
shall not be liable for the loss of, damage to or delay in delivery of any of the following:
a)
Antiques, ar
tifacts, collectibles, religious items;
.... snip ...
g)
Computer hardware/software and electronic components/equipment;

Friend of a friend got his laptop stolen when they were forced to gate check their bag due to all the overhead bins being full. Not a happy camper.

Tigerguy

Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:12 pm

Whenever I have checked baggage (most flights), I have a lock on my luggage. I know that won't stop the determined thief, but it's definitely better than an unlocked bag. As for my laptop, I've only put it in my checked bag once, because I acquired an extra item that had to come in the cabin with me, so I put the laptop away. Fortunately, it came out on the other side unscathed.

Whenever I bring my laptop, it comes with me in the cabin as my only carry-on. It's nice and safe in the laptop bag and goes underneath the seat in front of me.
Good night, and keep watching the skis. Uh, skies.

slimshady
Topic Author

Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:41 pm

Yeah, I didnt think we would have a valid claim against UA.

Prayers please on getting her calmed down after I break this news... :P

phlwok

Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:08 pm

Definitely file the appropriate police reports though. Clusters of them may trigger a broader investigation, and you occasionally see stings in the news that nab airport workers (bag handlers, TSA etc) for this kind of theft. The chances of getting the laptop back, or getting UA to pay up are, however, minimal.

Tough lesson, but don't let expensive stuff like this sit somewhere outside your direct control, or ship items with insurance separately if they're too big or cumbersome for carry ons. It's the only way to truly minimize this risk. In the case of being forced to gate check a bag due to overhead bins filling, I would rather hold the laptop than check it, and they will likely tell you to remove such valuables and medications before parting with the bag.

zchannel

Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:14 pm

You should try your homeowner's insurance. They would probably cover the stolen computer...
ZChannel: Member FDIC

Aaron747

Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:19 pm

Checked baggage should always be shoes, clothes, and souvenirs - all stuff you can easily replace. Bring anything worth anything to you in your carry-on, always.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

packcheer

Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:22 am

Question,
Are firearms covered by the airline?
I feel like they should be since they require that the bag be tagged and identified as containing a gun.
Things that fly, Girls and Planes...