Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

747400sp
Topic Author

Do Airlines Have Passengers At Their Mercy?

Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:36 pm

I been looking at the way the airline industry has been heading, and it seems that it is not passenger friendly, and it been getting worst though the years. In these years, we have seen airlines go to smaller less comfortable planes with less engines in some case, that are fill to capacity, with meals you have to pay for. We have even seen the JFK-LAX route, going from wide bodies to narrow bodies. Now I been told, that airlines do not really care about passengers comfort and their really nothing that passengers can do about it. Now trains are much more comfortable than planes, but there is one thing that airliners have over everybody, and that speed. It seems like airlines know that nobody can match there time saving product, so they know they can do want ever they want to the passengers. Now do you think the airlines has us passenger over a barrow, or are passengers sometimes asking too much of the airlines?

32andBelow

Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:56 pm

There is also that whole part how US 121 carriers have not killed a single passenger since FEB2009 with 10s of millions safely operated flights. In that regard aviation has continued to improve year over year.

lpdal

Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:07 pm

Quoting 747400sp (Thread starter):
Now do you think the airlines has us passenger over a barrow, or are passengers sometimes asking too much of the airlines?

I think a lot of people from the pre-consolidation era wear rose tinted glasses. Especially the general population of FlyerTalk.

-LPDAL
TWU represented. All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

Tugger

Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:10 pm

I been looking at the way the airline industry has been heading, and it seems that it is not passenger friendly, and it been getting worst though the years.

I just read a short piece on Businessweek about the profits at US carriers versus the profits in "the best" foreign carriers.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...ts-by-spending-little-on-travelers

Quote:
Compared with those ultralux Asian and Middle Eastern airlines, it’s easy to disparage the service levels of the average trip aboard an American (AAL), Delta (DAL), or United (UAL) plane. Overhead TVs in the aisle, circa 1980? Yep, the U.S. airline giants still have ‘em. Free meals on a six-hour, cross-country flight or a 10-hour haul to Hawaii? Those aren’t in the budget.

Yet when it comes to airline profits, no one does it like the U.S. carriers. After several Asian carriers reported results in recent days—including Cathay Pacific Airways’ (293:HK) half-year profit of $45 million announced on Wednesday—the financial difference between the U.S. airlines and the foreign carriers that travelers love to fly is striking. Nowadays, Delta clears a $45 million profit in less than a week during the summer.

It comes down to where does the money go and where should it go? In the USA any "excess" goes to investors in general, as a matter of principle. The focus is on making the airlines be/appear as financially strong as possible because investor like that and that means a healthy stock price and valuation. Unless it will affect ridership and sales, complaints from the passenger count for very little in the face of that.

So I guess the question is: What is more desirable, financial strength and security or passenger comfort and pleasure and where is the balance for that?

Right now I don't think any of the US majors want to mess much with the flight amenities in fear of start a war between airlines on that front which would lead to reduced profits (as more would need to be spent on upgrading amenities). They are very happy with the status quo for now and growing profitability primarily.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

SpaceshipDC10

Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:20 pm

Quoting Tugger (Reply 3):
What is more desirable, financial strength and security or passenger comfort and pleasure and where is the balance for that?

Probably somewhere more in the middle than right now.

Right now I don't think any of the US majors want to mess much with the flight amenities in fear of start a war between airlines on that front which would lead to reduced profits (as more would need to be spent on upgrading amenities). They are very happy with the status quo for now and growing profitability primarily.

And then they pretend to be for competition...  

toobz

Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:34 pm

What does not flying widebodies from LAX-JFK have to do with airlines not caring about PAX?? I'm confused.. I believe DL has been doing nothing but enhancing their services as of late. Do you get a 3 course meal in Y..? No but it's a 5hr flight. Eat before you get on.
And speaking of rail..have you priced journeys on Amtrak? I guarentee you flying is way cheaper and it doesn't seem like they serve you dinner free of charge either.

ADent

Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:34 pm

The airlines do this because the public wants lower fares and thus airlines are at passengers mercy.

Many won't pay any premium.

CV880

Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:35 pm

It comes down to where does the money go and where should it go? In the USA any "excess" goes to investors in general, as a matter of principle. The focus is on making the airlines be/appear as financially strong as possible because investor like that and that means a healthy stock price and valuation. Unless it will affect ridership and sales, complaints from the passenger count for very little in the face of that.

DL, for one, still owes $7~8 Billion to it's defined pension plans. The "defined" pension plans were supposedly eliminated in 2010(now all 401k), but a Congressional Act extended the funding of the plans for years down the road. UA eliminated most of their plans in BK, which were taken over by the PBGC.

In many cases, with some exceptions, the US Airlines have become the "Greyhound & Trailways" of the skies--much faster than we old-timers thought would happen.

Tugger

Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:36 pm

Quoting ADent (Reply 6):
The airlines do this because the public wants lower fares and thus airlines are at passengers mercy.

And yet profits are at an all time high? And prices are rising due to constrained capacity. It is not just the passengers.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

commavia

Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:04 pm

Quoting ADent (Reply 6):

I have to say that on this point, I completely agree with Spirit's Ben Baldanza. All these rankings of the "best" airlines and how things are allegedly getting "worse" for passengers misses by far the most important factor that U.S. consumers have communicated, again and again, is the single most important factor for most of them, most of the time - price. And on that metric, U.S. air consumers are still getting a bargain. Adjusted for inflation and distance, and even allowing for baggage and other ancillary fees, air travel is still remarkably affordable by historical standards. Now, it's true, prices are rising - finally - as a result of consolidation in the industry to achieve a rational competitive structure where some of the value generated from the system accrues to others besides just customers (like shareholders and employees).

However, I honestly just do not agree that air travel is all that much worse these days than in the past, and indeed I actually think it's getting better and better with each passing year. Between the advent of online booking and comparison sites (replacing mainframe-based GDS), TSA Precheck (making security the way it used to be), self-service check-in technology (fast, easy and attitude-free), free airport wifi, and modern forms of small device entertainment, among other enhancements to the experience, I absolutely love to fly these days. Sure, there are delays, and sure, certain airports need work, but overall, I see these trend lines moving in a positive, not negative, direction on virtually every front. And besides - who are we kidding? There were plenty of delays and crumbling airports (actually far more, in my opinion) in the "good old days," too.

But it must also be said that, while people love to complain about declining service, it appears that - over and over - what people are actually willing to pay for differs markedly. Some people may not like the current course of the industry, and would actually much prefer to go back to an era when air travel was far more "civilized," but of course also reserved for far fewer. But, alas, capitalism is nothing if not democratic - it follows the money. The history of the market is littered with examples of supposedly "better" alternatives that the market simply did not accept, or did not accept sufficiently broadly.

pvjin

Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:32 pm

I think simply knowing the extreme safety of modern aviation makes flying way more comfortable than it was back in the 60's for example.
Just go to aviation safety database and look at any year from 60's or 70's, then look at last 10 years. Although airline traffic has grown enormously from those times we still have way less large airliner hull losses than back then.

Because of that I sure feel way more comfortable on a low cost 737 than I would ever do in a first class of a 707 / DC-8 operated with 70's aviation standards.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

747400sp
Topic Author

Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:49 pm

Quoting toobz (Reply 5):
What does not flying widebodies from LAX-JFK have to do with airlines not caring about PAX?? I'm confused.. I believe DL has been doing nothing but enhancing their services as of late

I agree that DL is trying to make a better product, and I believe DL is the exception of todays airlines, but I can only say that about DL when it come to US airlines. There is a saying for white knockle fliers, that said flying is like riding on a bus, well statment has become very true in these last few years. Here is a sad example, in Dec of 2003, I finished my post boot camp training at Great Lakes, so I had some leave time, and I flew from ORD to SAN on an UA A319. When I landed at SAN, I had to take an Amtrak Thurway bus ( MCI D4500 ) to Los Angeles. That bus more leg room than that Airbus, that sad.

iahcsr

Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:38 pm

But also consider if you had to take that bus from ORD to SAN. Would that extra legroom have been worth the time difference?
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....

seabosdca

Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:53 pm

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 2):
I think a lot of people from the pre-consolidation era wear rose tinted glasses. Especially the general population of FlyerTalk.

Everyone always remembers only the good things from the past. This is even more true when people are talking about pre-deregulation flying -- they remember the glamor, but not the expense, the poor schedules, or the godawful cigarette smoke.

Quoting ADent (Reply 6):

The airlines aren't offering the products they are because someone is holding a gun to their heads. They are competing in a functioning market (albeit one with very high barriers to entry for new participants). The customers are getting what they want, to the extent consistent with airline profitability.

AeroWesty

Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:27 pm

Quoting ADent (Reply 6):

I don’t agree with this whole “this is what the public demands” mantra, in terms of it having kept airfares low.

The bulk of people love a bargain, the bulk of people have always shopped for the lowest price on everything, not just airfares, but what we’ve seen since deregulation is an enormous expansion of the availability of airline seats. Airlines have been charging what they need to charge to fill those seats.

Doubt me? Go look at timetables from the early 1980s. AA was a shadow of what it is today before it bulked up with a couple of hundred MD-80s plus Eagle. Same thing happened at other airlines. The airlines had to lower fares to fill all those seats. Fares are beginning to rise as capacity has become more disciplined, but even as fares rise, the bulk of people will always select the lowest fare, whatever it is.

“The public demands low fares” hasn’t prevented airfares from rising as capacity continues to adjust in the airlines’ favor.
International Homo of Mystery

mayor

Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:52 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 14):
Doubt me? Go look at timetables from the early 1980s. AA was a shadow of what it is today before it bulked up with a couple of hundred MD-80s plus Eagle. Same thing happened at other airlines. The airlines had to lower fares to fill all those seats. Fares are beginning to rise as capacity has become more disciplined, but even as fares rise, the bulk of people will always select the lowest fare, whatever it is.

I remember, sometime after the DL/WA merger, that DL offered low fares IN ALL SEATS. Those that worked in reservations and passenger service, called it the "summer from hell". Scads of people, who had NEVER flown before, suddenly were taking DL flights, where, before, they would have taken Greyhound or the train (or WN).
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

Viscount724

RE: Do Airlines Have Passengers At Their Mercy?

Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:13 pm

Quoting pvjin (Reply 10):
I think simply knowing the extreme safety of modern aviation makes flying way more comfortable than it was back in the 60's for example.
Just go to aviation safety database and look at any year from 60's or 70's, then look at last 10 years. Although airline traffic has grown enormously from those times we still have way less large airliner hull losses than back then.

Because of that I sure feel way more comfortable on a low cost 737 than I would ever do in a first class of a 707 / DC-8 operated with 70's aviation standards.

Even in the '60s and '70s air travel was still extremely safe statistically.

Other modes are also much safer now than then. Look at traffic fatality rates. In most major European countries for example, although traffic has increased several times, far fewer people are dying on the roads than even 10 or 20 years ago, never mind the '60s or '70s, as today's vehicles are so much safer.

Revelation

Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:31 pm

It's every business's goal to have the customers at their mercy. The airlines are just getting much better at it, and the regulators are letting a lot of things happen that they did not let happen in the (post-regulation) past.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

VCEflyboy

Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:21 am

I am so tired of hearing airlines paying their employees peanuts, going in and out of bankruptcy at will, hiring sub-contractors over sub-contractors, crying wolf about labor laws, high oil prices and airport taxes, shrinking seats and cutting services,delegating maintenance services to shady operators in third-world countries and effectively reducing competition, and at the same time posting record profits quarter after quarter. So which one is it? 'Cause you can't have it both ways.

ArmitageShanks

Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:36 am

Quoting ADent (Reply 6):

This is the reason. I want the cheapest fare possible. Would I pay 150 bucks more to fly with an airline that offered TV, charging, an extra inch of pitch and a meal? Nope. I'm not going to pay any more for a mediocre meal when I could eat a nicer meal at the airport before boarding. I also take my laptop or tablet for entertainment.

That money saved can be used to rent a car at my destination for example.

747400sp
Topic Author

Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:31 am

Quoting armitageshanks (Reply 19):
This is the reason. I want the cheapest fare possible. Would I pay 150 bucks more to fly with an airline that offered TV, charging, an extra inch of pitch and a meal? Nope. I'm not going to pay any more for a mediocre meal when I could eat a nicer meal at the airport before boarding. I also take my laptop or tablet for entertainment.

That money saved can be used to rent a car at my destination for example.

Well SQ and EK, seem to to give passengers, the royal treatment and they are doing well. There were airlines for people who want to save money, they are call Southwest and Jetblue. It is time for the big three, to act like the big three. Look, AA should be at the level with other ONE WORLD airlines like QF and BA.

seabosdca

Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:51 am

Quoting 747400sp (Reply 20):
Well SQ and EK, seem to to give passengers, the royal treatment and they are doing well.

EK is no better than Delta unless you are flying in First.

SQ has an entirely different, and much richer, target market than any US airline.

toobz

Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:52 am

SQ and EK do not offer their employees the pay and benefits that US airlines offer their employees either. So maybe they can afford a bit more services to their customers.

commavia

Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:54 am

Well SQ and EK, seem to to give passengers, the royal treatment and they are doing well.

That is a completely unfair - and thus meaningless - comparison. Singapore and Emirates (and Cathay, and Etihad and Qatar) all offer good service, but they are all government-owned and government-supported national carriers with no domestic markets and mostly (if not all) widebodies catering mostly to long haul (or at least longer haul) connecting passengers. That is a vastly different business model than the "big four" U.S. carriers which cater to a vast domestic market with smaller planes, shorter stage lengths, more congested infrastructure and - of course - far more intense competition on a far larger portion of their network.

There were airlines for people who want to save money, they are call Southwest and Jetblue. It is time for the big three, to act like the big three.

No, it's time for all U.S. carriers to act like what they are - profit-seeking corporations that have to satisfy the needs of various constituencies, including not just consumers (with all their myriad of different value propositions and desired price points), but also shareholders and, of course, employees.

Look, AA should be at the level with other ONE WORLD airlines like QF and BA.

No two airlines, and no two countries' air travel markets, are alike - regardless of the global alliance membership of any given airline.

commavia

Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:58 am

Quoting toobz (Reply 22):
SQ and EK do not offer their employees the pay and benefits that US airlines offer their employees either. So maybe they can afford a bit more services to their customers.

Precisely. It's a lot easier to offer "great" service when you're owned, supported and (in some cases) protected by the government, have few or no unions, minimal labor laws or legal protections for workers, and you know that powerful politicians always have your back - in legal disputes, infrastructure investments, prime real estate, etc.

U.S. carriers could offer "great" service, too, if all of them were funded by the U.S. government and could simply request, and promptly receive, another runway or terminal be built whenever the last one gets busy or dated, not to mention fire any employee they wanted at will for any reason without any recourse. But, alas, that's not the way it works in the U.S. (or much of the rest of the world).

ArmitageShanks

Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:00 am

Those are a big destination airlines. And with those routes they don't really offer much more service for coach than American based airlines. I can take a cheap US Airways flight to London and get a meal, free drink, on-demant TV, etc. Can they get me from my regional airport to where I need to go? No. Most US based airlines can.

I've flown with all the majors, both international based and US based and none of them *really* stand out. Sure, I can get a free drink with some and some offer meals on shorter flights, but who really cares? If I can save a hundred or two on a flight I'll do it every time. That's an extra day or two of traveling where I want to go or I can use the money saved to experience the destination I am going to a bit better. A few hours of "discomfort" (not really) is well worth it.

[Edited 2014-08-14 19:01:58]

slcdeltarumd11

Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:12 am

I think uniteds entire new business model is that customer loyalty is second priority to making now   It certainly looks like their strategy

All the airlines have less competition due to all of the mergers. Naturally fares are on the rise with less competition

We have even seen the JFK-LAX route, going from wide bodies to narrow bodies

We have the most comfortable and spacious seats ever offered on this route! Who cares if its narrowbody the lie flat seats are so nice. Jetblue Mint and AAs new 321s are incredible on the inside they clearly are fighting for those cash paying customers on that route. JFK-LAX/SFO still have tons of cash paying business travel on international connections and rich people paying cash so they do appear to really care on this route

mayor

Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:39 am

Quoting VCEflyboy (Reply 18):
I am so tired of hearing airlines paying their employees peanuts, going in and out of bankruptcy at will, hiring sub-contractors over sub-contractors, crying wolf about labor laws, high oil prices and airport taxes, shrinking seats and cutting services,delegating maintenance services to shady operators in third-world countries and effectively reducing competition, and at the same time posting record profits quarter after quarter. So which one is it? 'Cause you can't have it both ways.

And not ALL the majors are this way.........for instance, most of these "problems" don't apply to DL. I daresay that not all of them apply to ALL the majors.

Quoting commavia (Reply 24):

U.S. carriers could offer "great" service, too, if all of them were funded by the U.S. government and could simply request, and promptly receive, another runway or terminal be built whenever the last one gets busy or dated, not to mention fire any employee they wanted at will for any reason without any recourse. But, alas, that's not the way it works in the U.S. (or much of the rest of the world).

Do I hear "AMTRACK"?

Quoting armitageshanks (Reply 25):

I've flown with all the majors, both international based and US based and none of them *really* stand out. Sure, I can get a free drink with some and some offer meals on shorter flights, but who really cares? If I can save a hundred or two on a flight I'll do it every time. That's an extra day or two of traveling where I want to go or I can use the money saved to experience the destination I am going to a bit better. A few hours of "discomfort" (not really) is well worth it.

If price is everything, then why do people bitch if they're missing some of the amenities?
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

AeroWesty

Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:37 am

Would I pay 150 bucks more to fly with an airline that offered TV, charging, an extra inch of pitch and a meal? Nope.

Doesn't matter at all. What matters is, to fill seats, what is the absolute maximum you will pay to fly from point A to point B before you decide not to make the trip at all. Any airline charging less than that is leaving money on the table.

But airlines do it day in and day out to fill seats they're putting in the air. If you can afford to pay $250 to fly from London to Paris you'll pay it if that's the lowest fare, and you desire to fly from London to Paris. But if someone came along with a fare of $150, you'd happily fly with them instead. No one "demanded" that fare, it's simply the fare the airline felt it had to charge to fill the plane it was going to fly.

The traveling public who could afford it got from point A to point B within Europe just fine before the likes of Ryanair or Easyjet. It's just that fewer of them moved from point A to point B by air, because airfares were higher.

What people are implying in this thread is that before dirt cheap airfares existed, those who could afford to fly didn't shop for the lowest airfare. The bulk of people have always shopped for the lowest fare, it's just that airfares historically weren't low enough for the masses of people who travel by air now to do so.
International Homo of Mystery

747400sp
Topic Author

Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:48 am

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 26):
We have the most comfortable and spacious seats ever offered on this route! Who cares if its narrowbody the lie flat seats are so nice. Jetblue Mint and AAs new 321s are incredible on the inside they clearly are fighting for those cash paying customers on that route. JFK-LAX/SFO still have tons of cash paying business travel on international connections and rich people paying cash so they do appear to really care on this route

Are AA A321Ts and Jetblue Mint A321s really that nice inside? Sale me on their cabins, and I not trying to be a smart A#!, I really want to be sold, on how nice these flights are. Show this wide body lover, why these narrow bodies are so great, and I may just try one to visit my brother in New York.

mayor

Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:50 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 28):

And as I mentioned in a post, above, filling ALL the seats with cheap fares causes more trouble than it's worth.

macsog6

Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:54 am

As someone who flew in the "good" old days and still flies quite often, I think there are two factors that influence my choices more than other factors - safety and speed.

Right now, in spite of several headline grabbing losses, it is safer to fly than at any other point in commercial aviation history and, while speed has not increased significantly - save the Concorde - since the days of the Comet and 707, commercial aviation is still the fastest way to go.

Thus, when I can get both safety and speed, I do what most people would do and purchase the product at the lowest price. And for all the "romance" of flight, an airline is a commercial enterprise that is in business to make as much money as it can. It is not here to do much else than that; airlines have a product, you buy it, and they deliver it to you. If you don't like the product, the solution is quite simple. Don't buy it.

And believe me, as someone who flew on Connies and 377's, today's product is much, much better in terms of speed and safety than it was when I was flying on those aircraft. And in terms of cost, there is hardly a comparison.

Nope, airlines don't have pax at their mercy. We elect to fly because it is safe, fast, and cheap. If it wasn't meeting those three factors, we'd all be doing something else.
Sixty Plus Years of Flying! "I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Saint Ex

slcdeltarumd11

Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:15 am

Quoting 747400sp (Reply 29):
Are AA A321Ts and Jetblue Mint A321s really that nice inside? Sale me on their cabins, and I not trying to be a smart A#!, I really want to be sold, on how nice these flights are. Show this wide body lover, why these narrow bodies are so great, and I may just try one to visit my brother in New York.

Who cares how many seats across the cabin is? You don't gain anything in amenities or personal space. You have just tons of space and a fully flat bed to sleep in now! Way way way more comfortable and nicer than when widebodies flew this route with recliner seats. Wifi is also on these planes which is great to stay productive when you are running out of time or headed to a meeting last minute and want to prepare properly.

Even business class on AA 321 is super nice.....no one could complain in that seat for 6 hours and you can sleep like a baby totally flat.....i always try to get a little rest in on a transcon
http://www.jaunted.com/travel-photos...es%27+New+A321+Transcontinental#10

Mint is my favorite really nice in person. Just looks so sharp the photos dont give it justice. The mint suites have a door that shuts!
http://flightclub.jalopnik.com/jetbl...he-nicest-way-to-fly-cr-1589959725

fallap

Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:36 pm

we have seen airlines go to smaller less comfortable planes with less engines in some case

I believe an 777-300ER widebody and a tiny tiny ERJ135 have the exact amount of engines.
Ex grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M
Now studying Political Science

Skydrol

Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:29 am

Quoting toobz (Reply 5):
Do you get a 3 course meal in Y..? No but it's a 5hr flight. Eat before you get on.

Interesting the technology existed for hot meals to be served to Y pax on all but the shortest length flights right into the 1990s, but cannot be accomplished anymore. It should be more efficient and better (cost and quality) with modern technology.

I would gladly pay the 10 to 20 $ for a hot meal in Y, should it not be included in the base fare, but the problem is that it is not even an extra-cost option like a second bag or premium seat.

And then there are low-cost airlines such as Sunwing that have commercials where they brag about offering free hot meals and champagne for all pax, so this proves it is still possible today.

LD4
∙ ---{--« ∙ ----{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ---{--« ∙ --{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ----{--« ∙