PDX88
Topic Author

Another Recline-angry Passenger Causes Diversion

Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:41 pm

Haven't seen this posted yet surprisingly...

First United, then American, and now Delta gets to partake!

https://gma.yahoo.com/delta-flight-routed-due-passenger-disruption-061107123--abc-news-topstories.html

It's not like airlines seats have gotten any more cramped recently, I'm curious why the sudden outrage?

Type-Rated

RE: Another Recline-angry Passenger Causes Diversi

Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:56 pm

Maybe because they read the story about what happened on the UA flight and thought they could get away with it too?
When that story broke last week about the UA incident I said we'd be hearing more about this kind of stuff. I saw this story on the news. The women on the DL flight used the words "Tell this pilot to stop the plane, I want off!" as if he could pull into a parking space at 30K feet and let her out.
Can you imagine when all the airlines got to 28inch seat pitch what will happen?
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

copter808

Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:48 pm

Quoting type-rated (Reply 1):
"Tell this pilot to stop the plane, I want off!" as if he could pull into a parking space at 30K feet and let her out.

Maybe he should STAY at FL300 and let her out!

Yflyer

Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:07 pm

Quoting PDX88 (Thread starter):
I'm curious why the sudden outrage?

I would question whether such incidents are actually becoming more frequent, or if we're just hearing about them more. It could be that after the first incident became such a big story now every incident makes the news, even ones that might not have otherwise, creating the false impression that it's happening more often.

eal46859

Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:46 pm

When the airline makes an unscheduled landing to let off a passenger who is being disruptive, does the airline charge or attempt to charge the offending passenger for the cost ? I would think it would cost a decent amount of money in extra fuel and crew time when that happens.

CdnCactus

Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:16 pm

Send a few culprits to some serious jail time and it might be the end of it.

n92r03

Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:29 pm

Quoting CdnCactus (Reply 5):

Agreed 100%. Just stop being little bitches.

Common courtesy is no where to be found anymore. I don't usually recline, but if I do I always check behind to see if the person is using the tray table for anything. If using a laptop or eating I won't recline.

Some people are just a-holes. Like the guy who reclined on me as absolutely as hard as he could. I thought he broke the seat. No problem though, he tried to sleep but just wasn't in the plan for the youngster that was sitting next to me (not mine). I just sat and watched the seat get kicked for a couple hours. Any other time I would have been upset with the lack of parenting...not this time. I was silently encouraging every bit of it. Karma.

ArmitageShanks

Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:18 am

So you say you are upset at people being petty and childish...

Quoting N92r03 (Reply 6):
Agreed 100%. Just stop being little bitches.

And then took joy in being petty...

Quoting N92r03 (Reply 6):
I just sat and watched the seat get kicked for a couple hours.

If your seat reclines its your right to use all the space you are allowed, and paid for, without being labeled an ass. If you are very tall or a complete pre-madonna you should fly in first. If you demand or require extra room you should pay for it.

AR385

Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:20 am

I recline very slowly and carefully. If there is a meal being served I will un-recline. If the person nicely and politely makes a compelling argument that it is bothersome for me to recline due to some physical condition then I will un-recline. Other than that, I will recline. I´ve never had an issue or someone being agressive or demanding me to unrecline. I do think however that in that case it is a good idea to get the FA involved and not deal with the issue yourself. These days that is asking for trouble.

[Edited 2014-09-02 19:25:58]

longhauler

Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:21 am

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 7):
If you are very tall or a complete pre-madonna you should fly in first.

I am not sure if this was intentional, but it does fit!

Pre-Madonna
or
Prima Donna
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

Maverick623

Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:52 am

Quoting eal46859 (Reply 4):
When the airline makes an unscheduled landing to let off a passenger who is being disruptive, does the airline charge or attempt to charge the offending passenger for the cost ?

No. Depending on what kind of itinerary they are on, they might forfeit the ticket cost, but I don't think an airline has ever gone after a passenger for diversion-related costs.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

Web500sjc

Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:54 am

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 10):
No. Depending on what kind of itinerary they are on, they might forfeit the ticket cost, but I don't think an airline has ever gone after a passenger for diversion-related costs.

These rowdy people have something different to say

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...diversion-deported/article9988338/

Two people who forced an airplane to divert to Vancouver were required to pay AC 10,000$ each for the cost of the diversion. One of the two culprits was deported from Canada
Boiler Up!

n92r03

Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:00 am

And then took joy in being petty...
If your seat reclines its your right to use all the space you are allowed, and paid for, without being labeled an ass. If you are very tall or a complete pre-madonna you should fly in first. If you demand or require extra room you should pay for it.

Apparently my sarcasm did not come through. Yes, it is petty, but yes, I did take joy in watching it. My point was that common courtesy is lost these days. Sure the guy has "his right" to recline, no problem. He has the right to be an a-hole too and exercised both of those "rights".

I'm not tall or a complete pre-madonna, maybe just a partial one. I do fly first and/or E+ when possible and on my own dime, but the last time I checked there is no first on WN, which is where this episode happened.

Cheers-

lpdal

Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:32 am

Oh gosh, this is very petty. Thank goodness that on my recent 3M flight, no one used any of these ridiculous plastic clips.

-LPDAL
All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

Thunderboltdrgn

Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:38 pm

I don't know if this would work on airplanes but however, on some Swedish trains (like the X2-set
used for the X2000 brand) instead of a reclineable back-support, you move your own seat forward.

Obviously the train seats are much larger and robust then airplane seats so assume
that this would not work on airplanes?
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

lpdal

Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:55 pm

Quoting thunderboltdrgn (Reply 14):

I think ANA has this on their 788s, where the Y seats slide forward instead of the seatback articulating downward.

-LPDAL
All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.