ltbewr
Topic Author

'Stop Dressing Like A Slob When Traveling'

Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:13 am

I thought this article from Slate.com would be of interest and a conversation starter:
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/a...ing_nice_on_a_flight_or_train.html
As the writer suggests, why not dress up a little, maybe like business casual, when flying (or on a train, etc). instead of in sweat pants, sweatshirts, bedtime fleece, gym shorts or other athletic wear. Besides, being dressed certain ways means a lot less hassle, more respect from other pax and cabin crew, a less sloppy attitude of your own self.
So what are your thoughts as to how one should or does dress for an airline flight ?

dc10bhx

RE: 'Stop Dressing Like A Slob When Traveling'

Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:10 am

I could not agree more about this. I started travelling by Air when I was about 3 (now 46) and we as a family always ensured that we dressed in the correct manner. I will admit that for the first 13 years or so it was due to us travelling on a staff ticket (my Father worked for BA Cargo) and so we did not want to give any reason for us to be refused space. However since I have been buying my own tickets (for both myself and the family when travelling together) we always dress according to the route being flown. Whilst I no longer wear a tie or suit for travelling I ensure that my clothes do not look out of place should we be up-graded (which does not happen as often now).

Whilst it is important to be comfortable while travelling there is a fine line between what is (in my opinion) suitable for air travel and going on a lads (or ladies) weekend away on the booze.

We as a family flew out to the USA earlier on this year (five flights in all) and some of the sights we saw on these flights shocked the daylights out of me. That so many people appeared to be flying straight from the Gym was an eye-opener.
I'm lucky my job is my hobby

fallap

Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:05 pm

This is how I dress when flying business class (Or something similar)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t31.0-8/1780196_10152092893052585_1232947865_o.jpg
And thats how it looks like underneath the coat
https://scontent-a-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t31.0-8/p180x540/10005821_10152092894067585_1114184925_o.jpg
Italian bought jacket, scarf and pants. A white/black sweather, Diesel shoes, an inexpensive Skagen watch and a t-shirt underneath.

When flying coach it will be more like this: (From my trip to Ethiopia and Oman a few months ago)
https://scontent-a-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t31.0-8/p180x540/10382407_10152404573387585_1437381586759793994_o.jpg
A decent t-shirt, a pair of jeans and shoes (boots when flying domestic in Ethiopia)

Do I pass?

Regarding the debate in general, people from a wider range of classes of society are now able to travel by air, which obviously leads to some people treating it like taking the subway or Greyhound bus.

I'd like to put on clothes according to my deeds, and there is no way that I'm wearing a suit and tie for a 14 hour intercontinental flight, especially not on coach: where you usually end up looking like Tom Hanks in Cast Away upon disembarking.
Ex grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M
Now studying Political Science

flymia

Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:53 pm

Agreed. And I am not even asking for business casual. A pair of jeans, nice shoes and a collared shirt is good enough. That is what I wear when I fly regardless of class. My only exception is if flying General Aviation in an older plane on a hot summer day or flying a shorter flight to an island/vacation destination such as MIA-NAS then I might substitute the jeans for a khaki shorts. No sandals, no sweatpants.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

Yflyer

Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:07 pm

I'm an engineer. To paraphrase what Scott Adams wrote about how engineers dress in one of his Dilbert books, as long as my private parts are covered up and I'm not too cold then as far as I'm concerned I'm dressed properly. Ok, that's a bit of an exaggeration but I see nothing wrong with wearing a decent pair of shorts and a t-shirt on a plane. That's what I wear to work after all. The only suit I own doesn't even fit me anymore.

Quoting dc10bhx (Reply 1):
Whilst I no longer wear a tie or suit for travelling I ensure that my clothes do not look out of place should we be up-graded

The only time in my life I've ever gotten an upgrade was on CO on ANC-SEA, during the one year I just barely managed to get Premier status on UA. I was returning after a week of camping in Alaska. I was dressed like someone who had spent a week camping. I admit did feel a bit out of place, but I don't usually fly enough to get status on any airline so the chances of me being upgraded are pretty much nonexistent.

aklrno

Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:57 pm

I agree with the suggestion for business casual. My only exception is summer flying to LAS or PHX when I may wear shorts, but even then something that is essentially a shorter version of business casual pants. Usually aircraft cabins are too cold near the floor for anything but long pants.

When I fly long haul I take something to change into while aboard, usually a t shirt and sweat pants. I sleep better dressed like that. Then I change back into my nicer clothes before landing. If I do a quick pass with my portable shaver and comb my hair, I arrive at the immigration counter looking like I did when I boarded, not like a refugee trying to sneak into the country. I think I encounter fewer questions that way. I usually pass through that step faster then almost anyone else.

I also think I'm treated better by the cabin crew. That shouldn't be the case, but I appreciate it anyway.

lpdal

Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:23 pm

Sometimes I just want to be comfortable and just zone out....

(yes, that is me.   )

-LPDAL
All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

S75752

Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:13 pm

I only ever fly economy, so I personally only tidy up properly and usually just wear whatever I usually wear. If it was business or first, then I'd probably do something special. If anything, I myself have felt a bit more unnerved if one next to me is finely businessy dressed in Economy, sorta gives the feeling that they probably don't care to be sociable or anything at all anyways.

I think that the clothes one wears doesn't really matter for flights, just as long as it doesn't stand out horribly. What does matter most IMO is cleanliness... A very casually dressed pax is one thing, but a very bad smelling pax right in front of you (as has happened to me in many flights) is another more miserable one! Unlike other situations, you can't exactly escape the smell either by moving away.

FrmrKSEngr

Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:53 am

Quoting Yflyer (Reply 4):
I'm an engineer. To paraphrase what Scott Adams wrote about how engineers dress in one of his Dilbert books, as long as my private parts are covered up and I'm not too cold then as far as I'm concerned I'm dressed properly.

I am a senior aerospace engineer, and this is a pet peeve of mine. I don't expect ties (don't wear them my self), jeans and even shorts are OK, but I think engineers should wear collared shirts in the office, not tee shirts. Distinguishes the engineers from the shop mechanics.

When flying on business, generally khakis and polo shirt. Personal travel, blue jeans and polo shirt.

cedarjet

Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:18 am

I agree it's worth making a bit of an effort when possible. I had a phase of using staff travel and / or being in line for an upgrade via contacts inside the airline, so I would add a tie to the collared shirt, smart trousers and smart shoes. Since I stopped smoking I put on a bit of weight (from 80kg to 95kg) which makes me overheat easier, so I've reverted to smart jeans and smart t-shirt (when not in line for an upgrade; the staff travel days are over) but I miss going to the airport in a suit and tie. Also, I have found a good way of sleeping on planes, especially in economy, is to change in pyjamas after boarding. Honestly, it makes me feel much more comfortable and 'at home' and there is a psychological element at work, if I'm wearing PJs I fall asleep!

Quoting aklrno (Reply 5):
Then I change back into my nicer clothes before landing. If I do a quick pass with my portable shaver and comb my hair, I arrive at the immigration counter looking like I did when I boarded, not like a refugee trying to sneak into the country. I think I encounter fewer questions that way. I usually pass through that step faster then almost anyone else.

This is the other reason for dressing smartly, it isn't just having an appropriate sense of occasion with an eye on an upgrade, there's no question you get treated better at every stage of the journey, especially one's encounters with officialdom.

Finally,

Quoting dc10bhx (Reply 1):
That so many people appeared to be flying straight from the Gym was an eye-opener.

Yes it's awful, and yet most people (especially Americans) who favour sportswear in everyday life are usually an XXL or more, and thus highly unlikely to have ever seen the inside of a gym or do anything remotely athletic.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

rmoore7734

Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:53 am

Anything is preferred to the pants hanging off the butt showing your undies saying I'm ready for a prison gang bang which is where that came from. And yes I have seen folks in airport wearing that unfortunately. Also wish that was not the case out in general public. Keep it in the prisons.

ltbewr
Topic Author

Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:43 am

There have been several discussions on these boards of how some clothe themselves for flights. They include wearing shirts with controversial, inappropriate or offensive writing, sleeveless tops that expose hairy armpits, some women wearing only a few strips of cloth to barely cover their private parts. Sometimes such attire choices has led to some of these passengers not or delayed in boarded on flights. You sure don't want to be delayed or miss a flight because you not properly attired.

There are other good reason to not dress like a slob. Consideration of your fellow pax who may not like sitting with a slob and better treatment by them. Wearing long cotton pants or skirts may save your life or reduce further injuries if your plane has a crash or emergency landing and you have to escape in a fire or down an escape chute.

Also being decently dressed will give you a better attitude toward yourself and others.

e38

Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:44 pm

ltbewr,

There are a couple of issues here: one, the fact that in our society (at least in the United States), people always want to dress as casual as possible--even if doing so might be offensive to others and even if the situation would dictate otherwise, and two, everyone has a different interpretation of "business casual" as well as when it is, and is not, appropriate.

Moreover, a lot of folks seem to possess a sense of "entitlement." I have noticed very little consideration of others. Some of these attitudes also drive the "seat recline" issue. "I'll recline my seat if I want to, regardless of the discomfort or hardship I may cause to the person behind me."

At the company I work for, we are allowed to dress in "business casual" on Fridays, but wow, you should see how some folks interpret that. I have seen some people come to work dressed as though they just came off the field from a rugby match or walked out of the woods from a week-long camping trip; and they think the way they look is just fine!

Several years ago, I was traveling as a non-revenue passenger. I was the last person to get on and as I was starting to board, the gate agent said, "We have a light load today. You can either sit in First Class, I have one seat left, seat 1B, or you can have all three seats in the last row of the airplane, seats 26 A, B, and C. I thought to myself, "Well, seat 1B sounds nice, I almost never get the chance to fly first class." So, I got on the airplane and when I got to the First Class seat, 1B, I took a look at my seatmate, sitting in Seat 1A. He was considerably overweight, wearing very tight and very short gym shorts (you can use your own imagination), flip-flops, a tank top with hair dangling from beneath his armpits, and had not shaved nor combed his hair in several days.
Perhaps he was a very nice gentleman, but nevertheless, I continued on back to seats 26 A, B, and C and had a very comfortable and enjoyable flight  

e38

AirAfreak

Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:13 am

Quoting cedarjet (Reply 9):
Yes it's awful, and yet most people (especially Americans) who favour sportswear in everyday life are usually an XXL or more, and thus highly unlikely to have ever seen the inside of a gym or do anything remotely athletic.

I wouldn't be so quick to group Americans as some here on airliners.net L-O-V-E to do!!! ( Suddenly, I hear Nat "King" Cole singing in my head. )  

1) USA
2) Mexico
3) New Zealand
4) Australia
5) United Kingdom
6) Canada
7) Ireland
8) Chile
9) Iceland

If your "flag" from your airliners.net profile comes from one of these Top 9 most obese in the world as per reuters.com ratings for 2014, I would refrain from such comments. It's really getting old, don't you think?

And, how many countries do we have in the world???  

Australia and the U.K. have the same issue as us Americans do and not all of us are slobs (especially the ones like me that live in Los Angeles when all we do is work on improving ourselves inside and out), but I will agree with you and with most concerning my fellow American counterparts. I am especially embarrassed for my fellow Americans flying internationally when I see my fellow blue passport holders dressed in:

+ "mom" jeans

+ "dad" jeans

+ men that confuse tight-fitting clothing with good-tailoring

+ men that make me want to vomit when I see them flirting with the cabin crew, when meanwhile, back at the ranch, their shirt has a Heineken Beer Stain on their baggy, un-darted button-up Ralph Lauren Shirt and jeans that make their "derriere" look like a mud slide disaster in Malibu, while their knees are squeezing the oil and the salt from the bag of McDonald's French Fries stuffed into the seat pocket in front thinking their "Designer Imposture Cologne" or "Old Spice" is the cat's "meow" when it's really the "day-old" bread you find in the corner of an average supermarket.

+ tourist fashion's

+ women in (sarongs or pa-kee-ma) from Thailand

+ men in floral prints from Hawaii (WHY? WHY? WHY?!!!!!!!)

+ anyone in Crocs! (I was shocked when I saw a German family of 4, ALL wearing orange CROCS in Los Angeles as I have always seen so many German tourists smartly dressed.)

Quoting aklrno (Reply 5):
When I fly long haul I take something to change into while aboard, usually a t shirt and sweat pants. I sleep better dressed like that. Then I change back into my nicer clothes before landing. If I do a quick pass with my portable shaver and comb my hair, I arrive at the immigration counter looking like I did when I boarded, not like a refugee trying to sneak into the country. I think I encounter fewer questions that way. I usually pass through that step faster then almost anyone else.

I have my cabin attire, too! I usually change after the first meal service and then back to my "city chic" attire just before landing. I also refresh my face with proper amenities such as moisturizers and skin brighteners to revive my appearance.

After all, it's about being well-groomed, not perfumed  

Bon Voyage,

AirAfreak  
Korean Air | Excellence in Flight.

SDLSimme

Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:52 pm

I also tend to mind the way I look when I fly, as I percieve it as something special and exciting, and I also don't fly on such a regular basis that I've gotten bored with it. However, we aviation nerds are a quite small group of people, and for most others flying is a way of getting from point A to point B in a way that is as comfortable as possible. Wearing shorts and a t-shirt or sweatpants is probably more comfortable than putting on a nice shirt and some slick chinos, and that's perfectly fine with me. I think the same rules should apply on airplanes as in other situations where you expose yourself to others. Don't disgust other people. Shower and brush your teeth before you leave, don't expose an uncomfortable amount of your own body, and be polite and considerate to your fellow passengers, especially if you are stuck together for a long time.
A319-A321, A332-A333, RJ85, B733-B738, B743-B744, B752, B762-B764, B772-B773, CRJ200-CRJ700, Dash 8 Q300-Q400, ERJ 145,

DAL763ER

Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:56 pm

I think this is BS. I've flown in Y/J/F on different airlines and except for the odd business traveller, most who aren't going to/from work are dressed casually. And why shouldn't they be? It's just a means of transport. You don't dress up when you ride a premium cabin on a train, do you?

Similarly, I was in a hotel in the Caribbean a few weeks ago and the hotel didn't have a published dress code for any of their restaurants. One night I went for dinner in shorts and t-shirt and the woman there went "Just so you know, we tend to prefer our guests dress smart casual for dinner.". I was dumbfounded...I was on holiday after all.

As long as people on a plane aren't in a bathing suit or showing their bare feet, why does it matter how you dress? It's a means of transport, some flights are long and people should be relaxed. And besides, both in the hotel scenario and on planes, I'm paying for it so why should I be told I should dress a certain way (as long as it's not offensive/nude/unhygienic/etc.)?

*Regardless of cabin I fly in, I wear jeans and polo-shirt (or sometimes just a regular t-shirt).

[Edited 2014-09-11 12:58:28]

MesaFlyGuy

Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:10 pm

When I fly it's usually a polo shirt or a button-down shirt, but I confess that many times it's just a nice t-shirt under an open button-down but it's better than some that look like they rolled right out of bed and into their seats.

And I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that. When I fly in the winter it's usually jeans, a sweatshirt, and my mocassins because, let's face it--I like being comfy too!  
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

zrs70

Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:00 am

Airliners.net has really grown up.

Ten years ago, when the same question was asked, the attitude here was "who gives a crap? I'm going to wear what I want to wear, and if you don't like it, tough."

I think back then, there were a lot more 15 year olds on this board than there are now.
20 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2020

Type-Rated

Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:36 am

Quoting zrs70 (Reply 17):
Airliners.net has really grown up.

Ten years ago, when the same question was asked, the attitude here was "who gives a crap? I'm going to wear what I want to wear, and if you don't like it, tough."

I think back then, there were a lot more 15 year olds on this board than there are now.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Yup comments like "No damn airline is going to tell me how to dress. I'll dress how I want and they'll be happy with it!"
"If I want to wear flip flops and shorts with an old worn out t-shirt, there is nothing they can say to me"

were the order of the day. It seems some people around here have grown up.

To the people wearing shorts and synthetic fabrics, go to the EA Flight 212 thread and read the NTSB report. It describes in detail what happened to the passengers on that flight that had exposed skin and were wearing synthetic fabrics.

I think a polo shirt, nice pair of jeans and nice clean trainers is probably one of the safest things you can wear while flying on an airplane. Besides, if you have to slide down the evacuation slide while wearing jeans you won't be leaving the skin off the back of your legs on the slide material.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

Max Q

Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:31 am

I know it's fashionable to want people to dress up to fly still but I really don't care.
I DO care that when you sit close to me you don't smell or:

Pick your nose,

Clip your nails,

Talk non stop,

Talk on your phone non stop,

Recline your seat all the way into my space, just a little is enough,

Kick the back of my seat,

Grab the back of my seat when you get up,

Attempt to monopolize the armrest because you feel entitled and / or you are so fat you overflow into my seat.

Just to mention a few, if you can behave like a civilized human being I don't care if you're wearing overalls and flip flops.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

PITingres

Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:52 pm

What MaxQ said.

I'm certainly not going to dress up so that I can sit in a 17.8 inch seat for 4 hours. I'll make sure that the necessary parts are covered, and that I don't smell, but air travel stopped being a glamorous event 40+ years ago. Just like train travel and ocean liner travel stopped being a dress-up thing maybe 80 years back.
Fly, you fools! Fly!

Type-Rated

Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:50 pm

Quoting Max Q (Reply 19):
I know it's fashionable to want people to dress up to fly still but I really don't care.

I don't consider a polo shirt and a nice pair of jeans as "dressing up". Dressing up is wearing a coat & tie.

airportugal310

Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:42 pm

Quoting DAL763ER (Reply 15):
I think this is BS. I've flown in Y/J/F on different airlines and except for the odd business traveller, most who aren't going to/from work are dressed casually. And why shouldn't they be? It's just a means of transport. You don't dress up when you ride a premium cabin on a train, do you?

Thank you for bringing back some sanity here.

Just to mention a few, if you can behave like a civilized human being I don't care if you're wearing overalls and flip flops.

Well stated.

Quoting PITingres (Reply 20):
I'm certainly not going to dress up so that I can sit in a 17.8 inch seat for 4 hours.

Privilege!!

-----

What I find more appauling than anything are all the folks here who judge others by what they wear and not who they are. That tells me everything I need to know and then some  
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

777ER
Head Moderator

Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:47 am

I believe dressing up for a flight is stupid! This isn't the golden age of air travel anymore, so as a result I always wear what I'm comfy in which depends on the season. Winter is always jeans and a hoodie/sweater/jacket and summer is always tshirt and shorts. If flying long haul I always bring an extra pair of clothing in my carry on like jeans or shorts (depending on the season I'm flying to)
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789
With: NZ,SJ,QF,JQ,EK,VA,AA,UA,DL,FL,AC,FJ,SQ,TG,PR

longhauler

Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:34 pm

When travelling as a full revenue passenger, one can wear what they want. Of course, there is no dress code ...

But would you?

In spite of what you may think, you ARE treated differently by how you are dressed. Either consciously or sub-consciously. From the first check in to baggage pick up, how the staff responds to you on first contact is directly a result of your attire.

Sure, dressed like you just left the gym, you can demand to be treated with respect ... or you will just receive it without question when so dressed. Same thing with a lot of other day to day encounters.

For example, my son recently purchsed a new 911. I told him that he best be dressed at least "business casual" when we walk into the Porsche dealership. "Why?" he asked. "They will serve us no matter what". Correct, but ... if he is dressed like a bum, the sales staff will treat him like I am paying for it (I wasn't) and that he is a spoiled brat. Instead, he was well dressed and gave the correct image of a young man, successful enough to by himself a toy.

Yes, the result would have been the same ... we eventually would have bought the automobile. And, the ever correct German sales people would have said nothing. But, there is nothing wrong with presenting a better image.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

e38

Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:00 am

longhauler, reference Reply 24, very well stated.

e38

Type-Rated

Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:48 am

And that's what I have been saying for years and years. But sometimes people just have to find out for themselves, if their attitude doesn't get in the way.

A340313X

Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:26 pm

The thing that sticks in my mind about this article is getting a better reaction from airline staff if you're nicely dressed. Personally I've never once had a bad or surly reaction from airline staff or other pax, but I do generally look respectable ish anyway, it's just my style. Normal for me is blue jeans, flat shoes or trainers and a jacket or cardigan over a simple plain top.

What do people think of women and flip flops/open shoes on a plane? I'm planning flip flops for my flight on Saturday because I have a broken toe. I have nicely pedicured feet though! And I'd never put them up near someone else! Ew! I am a bit of a hippy in that respect though and often walk around without shoes.

MillwallSean

Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:55 am

The one thing I don't understand is how so many have time to care about how others dress? I have no clue how my co-passengers dress whether I'm in economy class or business class. I hardly notice how staff is dressed. Unless they look damn sexy that is but even if that I don't have much time for them.
In my opinion, respect and power comes from the appearance, the way of communication and not from the clothes worn.

Checking in at hotels though - that's a place where appearance and manners can make a huge difference...

Travelling and having lived a decade in Asia means that the sexpats, the tourists stands out like sore thumbs to me. Seeing westerners wearing fake designer t shirts and fake Rolexes, joking with professional Asian women in the same way as they joke with bargirls seemingly thinking that the manners and attitudes are the same is rather hmm interesting. Lets put it in this way, such manners doesn't do them any favours with the locals, au contraire. But while I (and most locals) might be slightly judgmental towards people with that look and those manners, I don't mind it or think the person should act differently.
The same goes for how people are dressed. if you wanna wear trackpants, flipflops and a baseball cap be my guest. Its completely up to the person and non of my business.

Quoting longhauler (Reply 24):
For example, my son recently purchsed a new 911. I told him that he best be dressed at least "business casual" when we walk into the Porsche dealership. "Why?" he asked. "They will serve us no matter what". Correct, but ... if he is dressed like a bum, the sales staff will treat him like I am paying for it (I wasn't) and that he is a spoiled brat. Instead, he was well dressed and gave the correct image of a young man, successful enough to by himself a toy.

But did he get the best deal?
Thats whats important, not what impression he left on the sales people.
No One Likes Us - We Dont Care.

longhauler

Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:13 pm

Quoting MillwallSean (Reply 28):
The same goes for how people are dressed. if you wanna wear trackpants, flipflops and a baseball cap be my guest. Its completely up to the person and non of my business.

That's the whole point. Dress codes notwithstanding, what some people don't understand is that even if subconsciously, you WILL be treated differently dependant on your attire. Does it make a difference? In a lot a situations, yes.

But did he get the best deal?

Of course he got the best deal. How do you think a 26 year old could afford a $125,000 toy to begin with? (By knowing how to "deal")

In my opinion, respect and power comes from the appearance, the way of communication and not from the clothes worn.

Eventually yes ... but not on first contact. You mention hotel check-in that would be a good example. There are only two rooms left, a penthouse suite and a low level room backing on the parking lot. They know they are going to be full, and you walk up in sweat pants and flip flops .... I hope you enjoy your view of the parking lot.

How long do you wait for service in a retail store? At what table do you sit in a restaurant? Hell, how successful are you at returning your cold french fries at McDonald's? The biggest factor is going to be how you are attired. On first contact.

Travelling and having lived a decade in Asia means that the sexpats, the tourists stands out like sore thumbs to me. Seeing westerners wearing fake designer t shirts and fake Rolexes, joking with professional Asian women in the same way as they joke with bargirls seemingly thinking that the manners and attitudes are the same is rather hmm interesting. Lets put it in this way, such manners doesn't do them any favours with the locals, au contraire. But while I (and most locals) might be slightly judgmental towards people with that look and those manners, I don't mind it or think the person should act differently.

This is kind of contradictory. But .. the bottom line is that odds are a lot of people won't notice your attire, your etiquette, or your table manners. However some will, and those are the ones that matter. For example, I mentioned my son, he is in a high profile, well paid (obviously non-aviation) position. His immediate superior told me last year why he selected by son during the hiring process. All candiates were well qualified, but ... when he entered the room, my son was the only one that stood up.

Very simple etiquette. Most wouldn't notice ... but the one who did, was very important.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

fallap

Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:44 am

@Longhauler.

I was upgraded from a regular club room to a nice suite, at the ICON hotel in Hong Kong earlier this year. Do you think it was due to the fact that I was nicely dressed? (See above picture)

My mother and I speculated if it was due to our attire, or simply a coincidence.
Ex grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M
Now studying Political Science

vikkyvik

Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:16 pm

Quoting cedarjet (Reply 9):
I agree it's worth making a bit of an effort when possible.

Why? What does it get me, aside from an uncomfortable journey?

Quoting ltbewr (Thread starter):
why not dress up a little

See above. I prefer being comfortable and able to sleep.

being dressed certain ways means a lot less hassle

I hardly ever have any hassle whatsoever when I fly. Not sure there's any way I could actually get hassled less (despite being a dark-skinned guy with facial hair!).

more respect from other pax and cabin crew

I get plenty of respect. Certainly enough to meet my expectations.

a less sloppy attitude of your own self

I don't have a sloppy attitude of myself. But then again, my view of myself is not at all primarily based on how I dress.

Quoting FrmrKSEngr (Reply 8):
Quoting Yflyer (Reply 4):
I'm an engineer. To paraphrase what Scott Adams wrote about how engineers dress in one of his Dilbert books, as long as my private parts are covered up and I'm not too cold then as far as I'm concerned I'm dressed properly.

I am a senior aerospace engineer, and this is a pet peeve of mine. I don't expect ties (don't wear them my self), jeans and even shorts are OK, but I think engineers should wear collared shirts in the office, not tee shirts. Distinguishes the engineers from the shop mechanics.

Another engineer here. I've been very fortunate to work for two companies where I haven't had to dress up. My typical (Mon-Thurs) work clothes are jeans, sneakers, and an un-tucked polo shirt. Fridays are jeans, sneakers, and a t-shirt, frequently a band or sports team one.

Quoting SDLSimme (Reply 14):
and for most others flying is a way of getting from point A to point B in a way that is as comfortable as possible.

Even for this airplane freak, comfort is a primary issue.

Quoting type-rated (Reply 18):
To the people wearing shorts and synthetic fabrics, go to the EA Flight 212 thread and read the NTSB report. It describes in detail what happened to the passengers on that flight that had exposed skin and were wearing synthetic fabrics.

You can't plan for every eventuality. The vast majority of travelers will never be in an airplane crash in their lives.

if you can behave like a civilized human being I don't care if you're wearing overalls and flip flops.

Quoting Airportugal310 (Reply 22):
What I find more appauling than anything are all the folks here who judge others by what they wear and not who they are.

In spite of what you may think, you ARE treated differently by how you are dressed. Either consciously or sub-consciously. From the first check in to baggage pick up, how the staff responds to you on first contact is directly a result of your attire.

Maybe I am treated differently. The question is, do I care? Am I treated badly enough that it makes me want to dress up?

No, and no. I've never - literally, never - noticed myself being treated differently due to what I'm wearing, which means it's probably not something significant.

Quoting A340313X (Reply 27):
What do people think of women and flip flops/open shoes on a plane?

Don't care.

Quoting longhauler (Reply 29):
That's the whole point. Dress codes notwithstanding, what some people don't understand is that even if subconsciously, you WILL be treated differently dependant on your attire.

Or we understand it, and just don't care.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Yflyer

Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:01 am

I mentioned earlier that the only time I've ever gotten upgraded to first class was after a week of camping in Alaska, and thus I was dressed like I had just spent a week camping. Specifically I was wearing an old pair of jeans and a sweatshirt. I had a dirty pair of hiking boots tied to my carry-on. Although I admit I did feel kind of out of place (although I think I might have felt at least a little out of place no matter what having never sat in first before) I could not perceive any difference between how the FAs treated me versus the other passengers. I thought they seemed extremely professional.

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 31):
Another engineer here. I've been very fortunate to work for two companies where I haven't had to dress up. My typical (Mon-Thurs) work clothes are jeans, sneakers, and an un-tucked polo shirt. Fridays are jeans, sneakers, and a t-shirt, frequently a band or sports team one.

My typical work attire during the summer is either khaki or denim shorts and either a polo or t-shirt. I tend to kind of alternate between polo shirts and t-shirts. There is an unofficial dress code that says Friday is Hawaiian shirt day. I'm not treated any differently by my coworkers, and I wouldn't expect to be considering they all dress pretty much the same way, including my manager. If someone's wearing a tie it's a dead giveaway that they're there for a job interview.

aklrno

Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:14 am

This also works the other way around. When I was young and the best I could drive was a Toyota I rode my bike past a Ferrari dealer in Los Gatos, California. I was dressed like an average guy out for a bike ride, meaning not very well. I stopped to look at the pretty cars through the window. The salesman invited me in to look around. Los Gatos is part of Silicon Valley, and maybe he understood that the poor bike rider today may be a lot better off tomorrow.

A few years later I was, and I went back to that salesman to buy a new car.

Although I understand that airline staff treats passengers better if they are dressed well (I mentioned that in a previous post) they should still show respect to anyone who shows respect to them. Circumstances can change and customers can become more valuable to the company. Even if you are not dressed well, you can behave well. It will be noticed.

longhauler

Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:14 pm

Quoting aklrno (Reply 33):

A few years later I was, and I went back to that salesman to buy a new car.

Great story. I went through the same thing at a Jaguar dealer, and have been driving English automobiles ever since!

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 31):
just don't care.

That would appear to be the issue. But also understand there is a very big difference between dressing comfortably, in an appropriate circumstance like the J cabin of a long flight ... and "dressing like a slob".

Quoting Fallap (Reply 30):
Do you think it was due to the fact that I was nicely dressed?

I am sure it helped.

Elite

Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:58 am

There is a reason why many offices (I work in an investment bank) will require business casual even on "casual Fridays", and even when the lower level analysts and associates generally will not leave the office much, let alone meet clients. It creates a more "professional atmosphere" and in general lifts the mood in the office as opposed to people wearing polos and shorts. Same thing goes for the flight - a cabin full of well-dressed people will have an effect on fellow passengers and the crew. You conform to the environment around you; a lot of times people visiting Japan will all of a sudden become overly polite or those in the UK will start dressing in slacks and shirts.

A jumble of thoughts, I know, but count me in as one of those who believe in a good style of dress for travel (especially in premium classes).

bobnwa

Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:27 pm

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 6):
(yes, that is me. )

The right knee on your jeans are a nice touch