Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

cedarjet
Topic Author

Iran Air 747SP Retirement, Enthusiasts Flight Info

Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:11 am

The last airworthy Iran Air 747SP, EP-IAC, will be doing a special farewell charter flight for enthusiasts on Sunday November 23 from Tehran to Tehran (I suspect Mehrabad) with a low pass / missed approach at Isfahan and a few other surprises. Booking and price info hasn't been released yet - but once it is, you'll know about it on Facebook, here, the usual grapevine. I know from Tehran that this has been green-lit at the very top, it's definitely happening.

Iran Air will be retiring this bird, and therefore the type from global passenger service, around then or not long after, leaving just a handful of VIP machines (one of them came to London Heathrow twice last week - I think it was Bahrein).

So mark your diaries to say goodbye in style - the best 747 Classic is getting ready for the final curtain.

(Meanwhile if you want a ride in pax service, IKA-KUL-IKA each Tue / Wed seems a good bet.)
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

na

RE: Iran Air 747SP Retirement, Enthusiasts Flight

Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:36 am

I remember being on a special sightseeing flight from Cologne on sistership EP-IAB 10 years ago, back in september of 2004. A very nice experience. A year later I did the same on board the last 741, EP-IAM. I think we spoke after one of these flights, cedarjet.
Great to hear that they are making a farewell flight! EP-IAC is 37 years old, the longest serving 747 in airline service after one year older sistership EP-IAA which was retired in June. I wonder how many flight hours and cycles it has.

RWA380

Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:47 am

Quoting cedarjet (Thread starter):
The last airworthy Iran Air 747SP, EP-IAC, will be doing a special farewell charter flight for enthusiasts on Sunday November 23 from Tehran to Tehran

Thanks for the info cedarjet, this is my most favorite aircraft, and yet I've never flown one. I have enough DL miles to get overseas, what would be the easiest way to get to THR using DL? I know DL doesn't fly there, I'd expect to fly to DXB or IST. Then I wonder how easy it is for a US passport holder to get into Iran.  
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

cedarjet
Topic Author

Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:54 am

Since I got this info, I have been asked if the 747SP will be retired on / before the special flight, or if it is just "near the end" e.g. it might fly on into early 2015. The answer is, I don't know yet.

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 2):

I would recommend via DXB or IST to get onboard some exotic metal e.g. Mahan 747-300, Iran Aseman A340, or maybe Iran Aseman 727 (but I think they only operate internationally to Yerevan). No problem for US citizens visiting Iran, although I can't remember if you have to break your journey en route for a day in a country with a US embassy (e.g. any European capital) to pick up your visa* or if you can collect on arrival in IKA.

* this event is being organised by an Iran-based tour operator who will issue visa approvals, so the process at the Iranian embassy for participants will not be one of "applying" for visas, merely "collection" - so should be possible to do in a single day
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Braniff747SP

Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:35 pm

Well, damn. Hopefully they'll fly for a little while longer--I've always wanted to get on one.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

cedarjet
Topic Author

Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:22 pm

What is interesting - I hadn't though of it, someone pointed it out on FB - is that this machine was slated to remain in service for two more years, having just had a heavy check and new engines (from another SP). Is it being retired ahead of schedule because sanctions are about to be lifted? Given that Iranian forces are actually fighting ISIS right now, I am sure discussions are being had, and "we want some new planes" must be part of it.

Of course this is a very old bird ready for some eternal sleep - the world's oldest widebody airliner in passenger service - but if there was a corrosion issue or something else technical / non-political, it would be grounded this week, not in three months time. Do Iran Air know something we don't?

BiggerJetsPlz

Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:39 pm

I would love to know how many hours and cycles this old bird has on her.

Quoting cedarjet (Reply 5):
Of course this is a very old bird ready for some eternal sleep - the world's oldest widebody airliner in passenger service - but if there was a corrosion issue or something else technical / non-political, it would be grounded this week, not in three months time. Do Iran Air know something we don't?

Air New Zealand just retired their last 747, a 16 year old 744 with under 70k hours, and they say they're negotiating with a customer for her. Maybe Iran is that customer? There are a number of other youngish 744 passenger frames stored that could go back into service.

[Edited 2014-09-11 16:44:29]

Max Q

Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:22 am

Quoting BiggerJetsPlz (Reply 6):
I would love to know how many hours and cycles this old bird has on her.

Likewise, very curious, amazing how Iran Air has kept these beautiful Classics going.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

TUGMASTER

Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:29 am

Quoting cedarjet (Thread starter):
(one of them came to London Heathrow twice last week - I think it was Bahrein).

it was indeed.... a very beautiful aircraft, sitting over at cargo for a few days.

even at LHR, SP's are getting very few and far between.

the last ever pax ex LHR flight was also an Iranian SP...EP-IAD.... that was a few years ago too...no fare paying ones back since

Wasn't Alpha Charlie the SP that had the nose up landing at PEK several years ago...?

Will be a sad day when you cant buy a ticket on the SP anymore.

bunumuring

Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:56 pm

This reminds me of one of the most curious spotting moments I have had ...
Beijing, 2008. An El Al 767 on a remote stand sitting next to EP-IAC. I taxied past the two of them in a China Eastern A319 and got a rather blurry photo, just for curiosity sake, as it was during a time of heightened tension between the two countries. The Israeli President (I think if I remember right) was on a state visit to Beijing and Tiananmen Square had Israeli flags and bunting all around.
The only other place I have photographed Iran Air was Heathrow, although I did spot a 747 Freighter in Hong Kong years and years ago.
I would love to fly on EP-IAC on this special flight, but alas, work calls...
Some of us here in Australia are hoping that Qantas will do an enthusiasts flight for the last 767, which will be sooner than most realise...
And the last 747, which apparently is now due to retire around Christmas 2015, I heard yesterday... Sob, sob...
Cheers,
Bunumuring.
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

777ER
Head Moderator

Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:53 am

The end of an era with these old classics is certainly coming fast and sadly many people will never be able to fly on one of these. Really wish an historic group could obtain one and use it for sightseeing/charters etc like many DC3 have been used for.

Quoting BiggerJetsPlz (Reply 6):
Quoting cedarjet (Reply 5):Of course this is a very old bird ready for some eternal sleep - the world's oldest widebody airliner in passenger service - but if there was a corrosion issue or something else technical / non-political, it would be grounded this week, not in three months time. Do Iran Air know something we don't?
Air New Zealand just retired their last 747, a 16 year old 744 with under 70k hours, and they say they're negotiating with a customer for her. Maybe Iran is that customer? There are a number of other youngish 744 passenger frames stored that could go back into service.

The news I've heard and so many others also, is that the last NZ 744 is heading to the USA in a few days to meet the scrap machine as its getting very close to its next D check
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789
With: NZ,SJ,QF,JQ,EK,VA,AA,UA,DL,FL,AC,FJ,SQ,TG,PR

TUGMASTER

Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:32 am

The prices have been posted on the Airevents site, but they seem incredibly expensive for such a short hop.
I realise you get fed and watered for 2 nights + somewhere to rest, but at around €600 for a non window seat,
Well, it's just too much.

Bear in mind that for €500 you can fly KUL-IKA in Business on the normal scheduled flight.

The last time Airevents chartered the IR SP for an hours jolly ex CGN, I seem to recall the prices started at €69.
Now it's nearly 10 times that.....

Ouch.

SuperCaravelle

Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:25 pm

Quoting bunumuring (Reply 9):
Beijing, 2008. An El Al 767 on a remote stand sitting next to EP-IAC. I taxied past the two of them in a China Eastern A319 and got a rather blurry photo, just for curiosity sake, as it was during a time of heightened tension between the two countries.

I would love to see this photo. I remember reading a trip report on this side a while back with a photo of a Korean Air (South Korea) and an Air Koryo (North Korea) airplane close together, in a position where the two pilot pairings would be able to look each other in the eyes, with an accompanying comment wondering what their thoughts would've been on that very moment. It makes all conflict look so... unnecessary when you see a moment of peace like that.

Anyway, I digress  Wink

[Edited 2014-09-13 13:26:36]

AR385

Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:36 pm

And to think I remember how pissed off I felt every time we got the AR 747SP on the MEX-LIM-EZE flight we regularly flew on instead of the 747-200...I always wanted to be on. Oh well.

CrimsonNL

Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:46 am

So which Anetters will be booking? And will you book a package tour or compile your own trip?

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

trijetsonly

Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:03 am

Quoting SuperCaravelle (Reply 12):
I would love to see this photo. I remember reading a trip report on this side a while back with a photo of a Korean Air (South Korea) and an Air Koryo (North Korea) airplane close together, in a position where the two pilot pairings would be able to look each other in the eyes, with an accompanying comment wondering what their thoughts would've been on that very moment. It makes all conflict look so... unnecessary when you see a moment of peace like that.

They are almost always parked next to each other.
Happy Landings

opticalilyushin

Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:37 pm

Can anyone clarify if this enthusiast flight marks the end of the SP with Iran Air? I was hoping to fly this in January, and simply remain in transit at IKA

trijetsonly

Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:52 pm

Quoting TUGMASTER (Reply 11):
The prices have been posted on the Airevents site, but they seem incredibly expensive for such a short hop.
I realise you get fed and watered for 2 nights + somewhere to rest, but at around €600 for a non window seat,

I understand that the prices for the complete tour package include a transfer from Germany (headquater of Air Events) to IKA, accomodation, visa and transfers in Teheran. Can anyone confirm?
At least when I take the "flight only" option and plan accomodation and transfers in Teheran by myself I get a similar price, a little bit less due to missing visa cost.
Happy Landings

n729pa

Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:05 pm

Quoting bunumuring (Reply 9):
This reminds me of one of the most curious spotting moments I have had ...

My dad worked for Iran Air from 1977-92 in London, we had some ups and down in that time, the Revolution, the Satanic Verses affair, the Iran Iraq war etc, but there were good employers.

But one day the ramp engineer was called on duty and told to go with the 74F from LHR to LIS, as IR had no representation there they needed someone they could trust to supervise the loading of the flight. When it got there, there was a LY 74F unloading. The IR 74F waited till the LY 74F taxiied away and departed, the IR 74F moved along and picked up the cargo left behind. It then flew back to LHR dropped off the engineer and flew back to THR.

Years later I was reading Larry Speaks' autobiography where he briefly mentions an exchange between an Israeli and Iranian cargo plane that had taken place in LIS some years earlier. Funny that....

Sad to see the IR SPs finally go, but it had to happen one day.

airevents

Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:50 pm

Folks, some initial feedback from us:

In cooperation with Iran Air and PTA Pars Tourist Agency (as liable tour operator), AirEvents is happy to announce a farewell flight on Iran Air's last Boeing 747SP aircraft, EP-IAC, for November 23, 2014. As things stand now, this flight will take place about 2 weeks prior to the aircraft leaving the carrier's active fleet - but of course this info is always subject to change.

As the new Imam Chomeini International Airport (IKA) is not open for domestic flights, our special sightseeing flight will have to go from Tehran Mehrabad airport. This set-up requires some logistical efforts and causes high additional cost as a positioning flight from and to IKA airport will be necessary. Given these constraints, Iran Air did a great job in identifying a long-enough gap in its schedules to make the flight possible.

Of course the Cologne flight ten (!) years ago was cheaper: fuel was cheaper at that time, no positioning flights were necessary, Cologne/Bonn airport offered a discount on the landing fees and - most importantly - we could make the caluclation based on 250 or so pax, resulting in low fares.

This time, we have to be realistic: maybe 50, 60, or possible 80 people will come to Iran, but not more. Hence, the price for everyone is higher.

PTA as tour operator has taken a big financial risk in offering this tour, so we would be happy if they broke-even in the end. Our (airevents) role is only to assist PTA in marketing the flight here in Europe.

Sven

Bear in mind that for €500 you can fly KUL-IKA in Business on the normal scheduled flight.

The last time Airevents chartered the IR SP for an hours jolly ex CGN, I seem to recall the prices started at €69.
Now it's nearly 10 times that.....
Quoting Trijetsonly (Reply 17):
I understand that the prices for the complete tour package include a transfer from Germany (headquater of Air Events) to IKA, accomodation, visa and transfers in Teheran. Can anyone confirm?
At least when I take the "flight only" option and plan accomodation and transfers in Teheran by myself I get a similar price, a little bit less due to missing visa cost.

777Jet

Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:27 pm

I'm glad this will be happening and well done to airlines who do this. Knowing that KLM is doing the same with its MD-11, I hope QF has a farewell flight for the 767-300 as it has played a vital role in the QF fleet...
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

trijetsonly

Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:28 pm

Quoting airevents (Reply 19):

Thanks a lot for your reply, Sven.
Can you confirm my guessing about the complete tour package weather it contains the transfer between Germany and Iran as well?
Happy Landings

MadameConcorde

Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:31 pm

Quoting airevents (Reply 19):
Folks, some initial feedback from us:

In cooperation with Iran Air and PTA Pars Tourist Agency (as liable tour operator), AirEvents is happy to announce a farewell flight on Iran Air's last Boeing 747SP aircraft, EP-IAC, for November 23, 2014.
http://www.airevents.de/product_info.php?products_id=274

I suppose the flights to Tehran and back (on Iran Air or other) will be at extra cost NOT included in the package tour.and will have to be arranged by ourselves.

""This package includes:
VISA invitation""

I suppose his is the letter stating that we are doing the tour arranged by the said travel agent that we will present to the Iranian Embassy of our choice so will know the purpose of our trip and then we will need to go to the Iranian Embassy to apply for the visa and collect it ourselves.

These are just two things that spring to mind about this package tour.

There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

airevents

Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:09 pm

Exactly:
- The flights to Iran and back are not included as everyone comes from another place. I would recommend IRan and Mahan Air as they have attractive fares, operate interesting aircraft (A300, A310) and flights are not completely in the middle of the night.

- If you purchase the package tour from PTA and not the flight-only option you will get the visa invitation which is needed to get a tourist visa from the embassy which is in charge for you.

Sven

opticalilyushin

Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:02 am

As a side issue, can anyone tell what the schedules show for the type used on the IKA-KUL route after Nov? Or is it still showing as the 74L?

Thanks!  

MD11Bob

Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:34 pm

Quoting opticalilyushin (Reply 24):
As a side issue, can anyone tell what the schedules show for the type used on the IKA-KUL route after Nov? Or is it still showing as the 74L?

Thanks!  

Still showing as 74L in the GDS.

MadameConcorde

Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:53 pm

Any idea what number of bookings they already have? The MD-11 was sold in 10 minutes.

Biman was different. They had the farewell flights from Birmingham. It made it easier for Europeans to get there, there was no visas to go after and for many of us it could be done as a day trip.

I hope they will get a sufficient number of passengers for this special flight. They are probably selling it to the Iranians as well.

There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

UA444

Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:13 am

Quoting 777Jet (Reply 20):
I hope QF has a farewell flight for the 767-300 as it has played a vital role in the QF fleet...

While it may have been vital, a 767 is probably the last thing to have a farewell for. There are hundreds still in service all over the world and will be for a long time. The DC-10, MD-11, and 747-SP are done forever.

billywilt

Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:45 am

booked....see you all in november.

bmibaby737

Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:29 am

Beijing flight is still showing a 747SP (74L) during March 2015, any ideas why?

opticalilyushin

Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:10 pm

As i understand it, it is only thought or assumed that the SP will retire in November. The aircraft went through a lot of maintenence recently, and i hope will still be flying for a few extra months. A lot of people i've spoken to are put off the enthusiast flight because of the price, visa issues, and short notice of the trip..something that is less of an issue if transiting through Tehran with Iran Air

billywilt

Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:57 am

Quoting opticalilyushin (Reply 30):
A lot of people i've spoken to are put off the enthusiast flight because of the price, visa issues, and short notice of the trip..something that is less of an issue if transiting through Tehran with Iran Air

All things considered, it is a bargain and people should not be complaining. I also bet most of the people doing this flight will not be of US, Canadian or UK citizenship, which makes life trying to get into Iran a lot less troublesome.

So lets see, if you are travelling alone, require a visa and a guide, wish to stay for the 2 days that they offer and want a window seat on the 747SP flight, it is 740 Euro. Is it cheap? Of course not, but relative wise it is. If you are lucky enough to not need a visa and a guide with you at all times, a window seat on the flight will only set you back 250 Euro. Hotels in Tehran can be had for as cheap as $10 USD. If the flight even reaches the minimum required of 40 people to operate, which I'm not holding my breath it will, we will basically have a private 747SP for an hour to be as nerdy and av geeky as we possibly can. Well worth the price of admission, which is not a whole lot. Sure, you have to get to Tehran, which will set you back probably more than the entire SP flight package, but it's Iran, not Amsterdam (KLM-11) or Birmingham (Biman DC10)

I think back to 3 years ago when I paid $800 USD for a 1 hour flight on a BAC-111. As said above, this 747SP flight is cheap in relative terms...

billywilt

Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:49 am

Anybody know how many people are going so far? My friend and I are going, so that's at least two...lol. Plus cedarjet makes 3.

opticalilyushin

Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:56 am

Billywilt - 740 Euros is a lot for us poor young'uns and students  

billywilt

Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:14 pm

Quoting opticalilyushin (Reply 33):

Billywilt - 740 Euros is a lot for us poor young'uns and students  

It's all relative mate. I'll use my previous example of the BAC111.

Bac111 1-hour flight, no hotel, no transfers, just the flight: $880 USD.

747SP flight, 2 nights in a supposedly lavish hotel, food, visa, transporation: 740 Euro or $935 USD or 640 Euro if you do not wish to have a window seat.

I'll use the R word again...Relatively, it is a good deal.

opticalilyushin

Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:57 am

Granted a lot of people will want to book this flight, as it is allegedly one of the last flights this SP will make, but when you can book an 8 hour flight on it, from South East Asia, with what I'm told is an amazing in flight meal, and transit without visa to another country, for half the price, I know which one I would pick