PC12Fan
Topic Author

Rude / Gross Passengers Posted Online

Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:33 pm

Just when I think you've said the stupidest thing ever, you keep talkin'!

PI4EVER

RE: Rude / Gross Passengers Posted Online

Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:35 pm

We've all seen some of these situations, particularly bare feet on bulkheads....but a few new ones that don't surprise me beyond the "what the H#*L are these people thinking?" I was on a DL flight two years ago, in F class, seated with a colleague of mine that is likely the nicest person on this planet. A true gem of a guy that I always enjoyed traveling with. During the flight he pointed out to me two feet that had appeared on his window side armrest. The lady seated behind him had reclined her seat, and had placed her bare (no stockings) feet on his armrest between his seat and the sidewall. He quietly told me he had bumped her feet a couple times but she did not move them. She was reading a book. He got up, went to the galley and with a F/A following him, returned to our seats with a cup of water and a handful of napkins. He sat down, and poured the cup of ice water on the woman's feet. She squealed a shocked response and he turned around, threw a handful of napkins at her and said "Your feet stink so they needed to be washed. Now sit up and act like you've got some class." The F/A stood at our row, looking at other passengers without any facial expression or comment, turned and returned to the galley. All was quiet, and on we flew for another 2 hours to SEA. As the F/A made her final cabin checks for arrival, she handed my colleague a bottle of uncorked wine in a DL trash bag, and on a napkin she had penned "Thank You for making our day. You Sir are a class act."
watch what you want. you may get it.

stlgph

Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:08 pm

The problem is - the people taking photos always try to be secretive about it.
Take pictures loud and proud and when someone ask - tell them you're a reporter for "People of Wal Mart Dot Com" and you're doing a whole new section devoted to frequent flyers.

That gets attention. Fast.

Enjoy.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

steeler83

Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:03 pm

I imagine most of these are on long-haul/int'l flights. Nobody else is paying upwards of a thousand dollars or so to sit near this crap!

Given that, I too would like to see people take these pictures and post them loudly and proudly. "Hi, I am [John Doe], and this putz was sitting within close proximity to me on my JFK-PEK flight..."
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

opethfan

Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:44 pm

FT's Delta forum has a sticky with posts like these. I've only had the feet on armrest situation once, and it was met with a firm elbow, and some polite but loaded remarks. Usually it's resolved easier than the kid using your setback as a sparring partner.

DTWPurserBoy

Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:58 pm

I once had a woman in FC shaving dead skin off her heels onto the carpet. The man sitting next to her came up to the galley (looking vaguely nauseous) and asked if we could help. I went back to her and said something to the effect that the task she was performing was dangerous as it could cause infection and most importantly should be done in the privacy of one's own bathroom, not in the FC cabin of a jetliner. She gave me a look of pure hatred and I just gave it right back to her. She stopped.

As my colleagues say "You can purchase the ticket but you can't buy the class."
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

ZuluAlpha

Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:59 pm

Or .. we could always add the images that we have personally encounter on here if the mods don't mind ! hehe
Flown on:_CRJ, CR7 D10 DHT DH8, DH2, DH3, DH4, EMB, E45, E75, E90, F28 J32 M80 SH6 320, 32B, 332, 333, 380, 717, 732, 733, 734, 73H, 743, 744, 752 762, 763, 772, 77W

ozark1

Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:05 pm

But isn't this all the airlines fault? For crowding them? For making them angry? More of this needs to be published to show the other side of the anti-airline story.

opethfan

Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:10 pm

Quoting ozark1 (Reply 7):

There are many, many things we can blame the airline for, but people's lack of decency and concern for fellow passengers is not one of them. If I'm on a crowded bus because the transit authority decides not to run enough, I don't use that as an excuse to litter, remove clothing, or invade on others' personal space.

boeing6594

Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:38 am

Most of the feet instances do not surprise me. But the gentleman with his shirt off? That one was a little shocking for me.

I was on a UA flight from EWR to FLL on a 738 a few years ago when a passenger became irate that his seat in the exit row would not recline. He proceeded to the back of the plane (I'm assuming to freak on the F/As), and when he came back began throwing a temper tantrum and thrusting on the seat back, I'm surprised it didn't snap off. He should've asked me, I would've gladly traded him seats haha.

The lack of respect for fellow passengers, and lack of class is truly amazing to me anymore. To think that flying used to be classy.

DTWPurserBoy

Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:50 am

Quoting ozark1 (Reply 7):

But isn't this all the airlines fault? For crowding them? For making them angry? More of this needs to be published to show the other side of the anti-airline story.

First class is not crowded. Anywhere. On any airline. Ever. Period.
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

OA412

Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:53 am

The bare feet on the bulkhead and all over everything else in the cabin needs to stop. I wish airlines policed it the way some bus and train companies do. I know FA's probably don't want to deal with it, but it's disgusting.

It's also quite shameful how people treat the aircraft as a trash can. Whether I'm on a long haul or short haul, I always make sure to get rid of as much trash as possible by handing it to the FA's when they come around the cabin with trash bags. I also try to make sure I'm not leaving blankets and magazines all over the place. Sad that some people think this is appropriate behavior.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

toobz

Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:38 am

Some people are just pigs..u can't change that. And a lot of them have money. There you have it.

737tdi

Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:41 am

To query a thought. Do these people put their feet on their coffee tables, their walls? Would they feel comfortable with me scraping my feet next to them in a restaurant? If I were a woman would they be OK with me painting my fingernails and toenails while I was at a get together at their house?

As far as the question of isn't this OK because of the legroom? The answer is NO, a huge NO. You don't get your bare feet close to me, or your bare chest. This stuff is unacceptable and passengers should stand up for themselves. Back to the restaurant scenario, would you not say something if someone put their bare feet on the back of your booth? Of course you would, but the thing is these scumbags won't do it there. They get on an aircraft and they think it is their bedroom. You want a bedroom by a FC ticket and have fun in your cubicle. I flew from Beaufort SC USA to BODO Norway on a KC130 with full combat packs in a web seat, these folks need to get over themselves. Comfort is for everyone and your feet don't comfort me, be prepared for a problem.

akelley728

Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:49 am

Quoting DTWPurserBoy (Reply 10):

Even on the new Delta 739ER? With only 37" pitch and worse in row 1 where the bulkhead is very close!

MaverickTTT

Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:13 am

Many moons ago, I cleaned RON airplanes for a living. I came to the conclusion that the vast majority of airline passengers, regardless of class of service, are absolutely disgusting and destructive.

I've pulled more dirty diapers out of F class seatbacks/from under seats than in Y (though, plenty were found there). I've cleaned blood off the walls, toenail clippings and dead skin out the carpet, smashed Cheetos and Cheerios smashed in the carpet, and crayon drawings off the walls and seatback tray-tables. I've had to scoop vomit out of a lav sink because a passenger couldn't be bothered to move their head 18 inches to the left.

To this day, when I fly, I find myself cleaning the lav and straightening the magazines and safety cards. It's like a nervous condition or a fear that someone will think I'm a messy person.

Type-Rated

Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:14 am

And then there are those people who walk into the can with bare feet. And you know that's not water on the floor in there.
Then they want to put their wet feet on the bulkheads....

The thing that gets me the most are the parents who bring their little kids on board and then give them those small cellophane packets of saltine crackers to play with. By the time the plane gets to it's destination the entire area is covered with cracker crumbs. Seats, floor, window sills, etc. And what about the continuation of the flight? Who will get THOSE seats next? The F/A's don't have vacuum cleaners in their pockets.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

737tdi

Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:49 am

Quoting Type-Rated (Reply 16):
The F/A's don't have vacuum cleaners in their pockets.

Not totally true, WN"s FAs pull out the mechanical vac. almost every flight and clean the airplane as quick as they can. A quik vac "Hokie". and pickup and back to the schedule.

Skydrol

Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:44 am

Quoting maverickTTT (Reply 15):
I cleaned RON airplanes for a living.

I have seen "RON" mentioned a few times on a.net, and wondered what it means... anyone?

Years ago when I was on a B727, I was in the aisle seat, the middle seat was vacant, but this filthy pig was at the window seat who kept trying to clear his nose/throat, and every so often spit his slime on the floor between his feet! I was only 14 or 15 at the time, but will never forget this.

LD4
∙ ---{--« ∙ ----{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ---{--« ∙ --{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ----{--« ∙

copter808

Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:05 am

RON is a good friend of mine who keeps my computers running!

RON, short for R-O-N or Remain OverNight.

737tdi

Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:47 am

You

Quoting Skydrol (Reply 18):
I have seen "RON" mentioned a few times on a.net, and wondered what it means

There are several meanings depending on how long you have been working for airlines. Remain Over Night, Routine Over Night, etc. . Usually it is when an aircraft stops and sits through the night until the originating flight the next day. In maintenance it means the time you have to do the work on the aircraft while it is at your station/base. We do a lot of maintenance on an aircraft on RON. Everything from engine changes to flap transmissions (8). Stab jackscrews, flight control and engine software, interior mods, lubes, inspections and repair of faults. It is never ending, every night 365 days a year. If you are non aviation or aviation and non maintenance you would be amazed.

EA CO AS

Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:05 am

Quoting OA412 (Reply 11):
It's also quite shameful how people treat the aircraft as a trash can.

Especially on longhauls (5 hours or more) where the "nesting" phenomenon occurs.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

ozark1

Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:10 am

Quoting DTWPurserBoy (Reply 10):

I have noticed before..you do not seem to get where I am coming from. I have the same job as you do. It was simply a sarcastic remark directed at the media. Of course there is plenty of room in first class. I was using crowding in coach as an example. It doesn't, however, prevent people in F/C from putting their bare feet on the bulkhead.

747d10

Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:52 am

Now that this has been distributed via Yahoo, etc., I expect that people will start staging gross-outs and photographing them to post. Hopefully I'm wrong.
E145 E190 F100 L10/15 DC8 D8S D10 M11 D91/S/5 M80 M90 717 727/S 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 741/42/43/44 752 762/3/4 77E/L 788 A300 310 319 320 321 333 Concorde
AA AC AF AL AQ AS BN CI CO CX DL EA FL HA HU HY KL MC MU MX NA NC NW OZ PA PI QH RC SQ TI TW UA US WA 9K

FlyboyOz

Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:37 pm

It was funny what I have seen on the plane few weeks ago. It was totally crazy.

I was sitting in front of two cute beefy gay guys. While I was watching PTV, two seats were shaking all the time cos I knew that they were kissing toooo hard. He held his partner's head so that they could kiss each other soooooo hard (maybe four or five times and took a long time!! WTF! That was so annoyed cos I could not focus on the PTV. A couple who sat next to me saw them too and felt somewhat annoyed as well. All female flight attendants saw that and didn't say any words.
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

seat1a

Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:15 pm

The shoes or feet on bulkheads are disgusting. For all the FAs or PR types out there, what would be an appropriate and effective response from a FA asking them to put their feet down? Is there a gracious way to do this? If they don't listen and follow along, then what?

Viscount724

Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:18 pm

Quoting OA412 (Reply 11):
The bare feet on the bulkhead and all over everything else in the cabin needs to stop. I wish airlines policed it the way some bus and train companies do. I know FA's probably don't want to deal with it, but it's disgusting.

Airlines often prohibit passengers with bare feet in their conditions of carriage. There's usually a section covering that sort of thing, along with passengers with offensive odors etc.

Example from AA (see 6. g):

ACCEPTANCE OF PASSENGERS

American may refuse to transport you, or may remove you from your flight at any point, for one or several reasons, including but not limited to the following:
1.Compliance with government requisition of space.
2. Action necessary or advisable due to weather, or other conditions beyond American's control.
3. Refusal to permit a search of person or property for explosives or for deadly, controlled, or dangerous weapons, articles or substances.
4. Refusal to produce positive identification upon request.
5. Your physical or mental condition is such that in American's sole opinion, you are rendered or likely to be rendered incapable of comprehending or complying with safety instructions without the assistance of an attendant.
6.Your conduct is disorderly, abusive or violent, or you
...a. Appear to be intoxicated or under the influence of drugs,
...b. Attempt to interfere with any member of the flight crew,
...c. Have a communicable disease that has been determined by a federal public health authority to be transmissible to other persons in the normal course of flight,
...d. Refuse to obey instructions from any flight crew member,
...e. Have an offensive odor not caused by a disability or illness,
...f. Are clothed in a manner that would cause discomfort or offense to other passengers,
...g. are barefoot, or
...h. Engage in any action, voluntary or involuntary, that might jeopardize the safety of the aircraft or any of its occupants.

opethfan

Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:12 pm

I remember a flight I was on in the last year that had several F/A announcements to keep shoes on while walking through the aisles for health and safety reasons. I think it was either AC (YUL-CDG, CDG-YYZ, or YYZ-YVR) or TCX (JTR-LGW), but most likely the AC YUL-CDG.

Elite

Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:48 am

Quoting FlyboyOz (Reply 24):

Nothing too funny about that - it actually sounds quite annoying