Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

cougar15
Topic Author

QR, EY & EK, Best Premium Product?

Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:05 am

Hi all, seeing as we love discussing the ME3 on this platform, and all 3 are recognized for supperior products, both in Y and J, who is the best??
I had opportunity to try all 3 in J over the past few months and feel they are rather different. This being my first experience with the ME3 , I expected very simmilar products, both hard & soft, but found there are vast differences.
Lets start with QR, which impressed me most! Dedicated Transfers at DOH (old Airport/premium Terminal); top Service and great products throughout my 4 sectors with them. Then there is EK, who could not impress me with their plastic woodenlook J class and things like menus & other soft products were certainly not the same Level as QR.
Dedciated Transfers and an OK Lounge at DXB, but to me not at the same Level. Just last week I had the ´pleasure´ with EY. On board product in Y was great, Pearl Business class impressed me very much on the ´hard´ product side, only to be let down by things like menu choice & soft Services. AUH Terminal 1 is an utter nightmare, no dedicated premium Transfers, and the Lounges in T1 are awfull (although to be fair those new ones in T2 are a big step Forward).
´fast track´ thru security was non existant, the so called premium lines were closed, but then EY was much cheaper than the other 2 in J on the same sector. to be fair to them, AUH is a massive building site, if and when the new terminals come on line in a year or 2, things will surely be much better!
So who is winning the ME3 rat race on Service Levels, what are your thoughts on this?
some you lose, others you can´t win!

einsteinboricua

RE: QR, EY & EK, Best Premium Product?

Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:22 pm

While I haven't flown with either, IMO the scales greatly tipped to EY when The Residence was announced. EK was ahead with the showers and suites, but The Residence is a class all on its own. I would definitely like to try it someday.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

MH017

Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:47 pm

Although you didn't ask but IMHO WY (Oman Air) is top-notch in Business- and First Class !!! Their route-network is somewhat limited, though...
don't throw away tomorrow !

Viscount724

Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:40 am

It sometimes depends on aircraft type. For example, in Y class, QR is the best on 777s due to their much more civilized 9-abreast (3-3-3) configuration compared to the cramped 10-abreast (3-4-3) on EK and EY.

On EK's A330-200s and few A340-300s, Y class is fine with the usual 2-4-2 configuration, but J class is second rate with 7-abreast (2-3-2) seating. I can't think of any other full-service airlines that have ever operated A330s/340s with 7-abreast in business class.

flyboy_se

Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:41 pm

Allthough i have only flown QR in J, i cannot compare.
But judging from comments from people who flew all three, they usually say QR is the better one.

To me it seems EK is going for the quantity, bringing the J class to more people sort of.
EY seems to be trying the boutiqe style touch with lots of gadgety stuff.
QR seems to be more contemporary but still conservative, focusing on quality. Usually more expensive than the other two.
But then again, these are just my opinions, and off course i could be wrong.
I prefer to be crazy and happy rather than normal and bitter

kevin

Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:25 am

Singapore Airlines will always be the best for me. It's not about amenities and gadgets, it's about the whole experience and they know how to do it.