Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

S75752
Topic Author

Alliance 'Cliques'

Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:32 am

I am rather curious about which airlines in alliances tend to stick more closely together, while having somewhat of a disregard for others in the alliance. This comes up as curiosity which started with discussion of how UA likes to hang around LH a lot, yet has little to no ties to SQ, despite all 3 being in *A. I'm curious of other such cliques that may exist, in other alliances too.

29erUSA187

RE: Alliance 'Cliques'

Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:36 am

In SA)">OW, there is BA-AA/US. and in SA, for european routes there is UA-LH

Elite

Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:12 am

Despite both being in oneworld, CX and QF are not on very good terms.

MD11Bob

Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:00 pm

It is true that there are very different levels of "friendship" and depth of cooperation between the airlines in the alliances. As you mention, in Star, SQ tends to be very limitet in its relations to anyone; UA/LH goes well, UA and ET are close, LH and TK are not very close.
Also note that LH,UA,AC,LX,OS and SN, LH and ANA, then AA,BA, IB and AY on their own, and AF,KL,DL and AZ each have a revenue sharing joint venture, which is independent from the alliances.

jumpjets

Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:15 am

Quoting MD11Bob (Reply 3):
Also note that LH,UA,AC,LX,OS and SN, LH and ANA, then AA,BA, IB and AY on their own, and AF,KL,DL and AZ each have a revenue sharing joint venture, which is independent from the alliances

I guess these are more dependent on regional compatibility rather than overall alliance relationships. For example BA/AY/AA all have arrangements with JL but AAs arrangement is separate to that with BA/AY because they cover different markets.

bunumuring

Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:58 am

Qantas and Cathay Pacific are infamously cold towards each other.
In a parallel universe however, they could be BFF as I reckon they would be THE perfect merger partners . Their relative geographical positions and coverage of their respective markets, plus similar standards of service and their heritage all make them ideal partners in my opinion. Much better than say, JAL or the frequently touted QF-merger-partner, MAS.
Actually, MAS and QF seem to be getting closer and more cuddly with each other behind the scenes...
And also in OneWorld gossip, Qatar and BA seem to be cuddling up, with the QF-spurned BA turning to QF's new BFF's enemy #1 to 'get revenge' ...
Ahhh the romance of flying!
Cheers,
Bunumuring.
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

lpdal

Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:01 pm

I'm surprised no one has mentioned DL KL AF.

-LPDAL
All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

MD11Bob

Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:06 pm

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 6):
I'm surprised no one has mentioned DL KL AF.

-LPDAL

I did  
Quoting jumpjets (Reply 4):
guess these are more dependent on regional compatibility rather than overall alliance relationships. For example BA/AY/AA all have arrangements with JL but AAs arrangement is separate to that with BA/AY because they cover different markets.

Well for sure the JV´s are related to the area, e.g. the LH Group /UA/AC revenue share is on the Atlantic only, but at the time it was set up, US was also in Star and LH and US did not get along very well, and subsequently US did not enter the JV.

aerorobnz

Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:41 am

Well you have a JV between NZ/SQ but not the rest of Star, so I guess that could count as a clique
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.