Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

oneskyjet
Topic Author

AA/DL/UA "Triple Crown" Brag

Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:08 am

So I fly alot.
I'm about to requalify for 1K (top tier) status on United.
Have already requalified for Delta Diamond Status and Advantage exec platinum for 2015
So in 2014 and now again in 2015 I earned a "Triple Crown".

Any others out there that have done this? I know lots of people that fly more than me, but they concentrate on one (or maybe two airlines). My philosophy is to try to "spread it around" to get the bennies of top tier status from as possible (in my case the big 3 US carriers).

Thoughts?

AirAfreak

RE: AA/DL/UA "Triple Crown" Brag

Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:57 am

I was once a Continental Airlines OnePass Elite Gold and an Air France Frequence Plus Rouge at the same time. It became a headache for me as I only fly for leisure purposes so I decided to forego the extra expense of having to maintain status on two airlines. Now, I am Delta Diamond Medallion for the rest of this year and all of 2015 and that is enough for me.

Now, if I flew for business, then that would change things to allow greater flexibility with scheduling purposes, but in my case, schedule does not matter for me.

Bon Voyage,

AirAfreak  
Korean Air | Excellence in Flight.

KD5MDK

Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:16 am

Time to go for WN A-list  

AA737-823

Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:34 am

Quoting Thread starter):

Thoughts?

My only thought would be to achieve an appropriate level of million-miler status, so that you could maintain the perks indefinitely, without actually flying the airline. That way, you'd have some freedom to play with.

Quoting kd5mdk (Reply 2):
Time to go for WN A-list

Zero. Perks. At all.
lol
I love Southwest, but there's not really anything to draw me into an 'elite' program on that most utilitarian of all carriers.

dnguyen7078

Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:57 am

I have 2.3 million miles on UA now and permanent Platinum for life. Once I get that 3 million miles so I can get permanent 1K, then I will switch to One World but using Marco Polo from CX instead of AA since UA can cover most of North America and Europe. So I like to get an Asian carrier status.
Welcome to My World

RDUDDJI

Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:14 am

Quoting Thread starter):

Thoughts?

Take a vacation!

Seriously, that's an impressive feat, but a redonkulous amount of flying!
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

Cubsrule

Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:41 am

Quoting AA737-823 (Reply 3):
I love Southwest, but there's not really anything to draw me into an 'elite' program on that most utilitarian of all carriers.

For those of us who are married or otherwise travel with someone else semi-frequently, top-tier status on WN is arguably more valuable than on any legacy (depending, of course, on exact travel patterns).
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

kgaiflyer

Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:39 pm

Quoting RDUDDJI (Reply 5):
Quoting Thread starter):

Thoughts?

Take a vacation!

Seriously, that's an impressive feat, but a redonkulous amount of flying!

I've been Northwest Platinum and AA Advantage Gold at the same time and United Mileage Plus, US Dividend Miles, and AC AeroPlan at the same time. I also fly WN on unique routes like BWI-SAN, SNA-OAK, and ELP-LAX. However, I have never had a desire to fly DL -- so your so called "Triple Crown" will never occur in my life.

Plus 100% of my flying is USA and Canada -- much is RJ / turboprop -- I'm not the super-duper-whopper elite type.

[Edited 2014-10-01 06:56:55]

jetwet1

Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:38 pm

DL Gold Medallion (should make platinum this year) and AA Platinum.

quote=kd5mdk,reply=2]Time to go for WN A-list[/quote]

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 6):

For those of us who are married or otherwise travel with someone else semi-frequently, top-tier status on WN is arguably more valuable than on any legacy (depending, of course, on exact travel patterns).

I would agree, back in 2002 my girlfriend, now wife lived in Sacramento, I lived in Vegas, each week I would fly LAS-BUR-SMF, booked as two separate tickets, so 4 flights a week, that got me top tier on WN in just over 3 months, We used the free companion pass many times, a great benefit.

Also, I got to know the gate crews at BUR, they knew I had no issues being bumped in either direction as long as I could get out on the next flight, this happening probably 50% of the time on the BUR-SMF leg and 75% on the BUR-LAS leg.

At $300 in free flights for each leg as compensation WN pretty much paid for me to fly to see the girlfriend and get top tier, not a bad deal.

jetblue1965

Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:15 pm

congrats on getting that, but i'm not sure if "triple crown" is an achievement or just a reflection that one flies too much =)

gkpetery

Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:41 pm

So, the question is now you have experienced all 3 at the same time. If you had to keep only one, which one would it be and why?

Flighty

Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:44 pm

Exactly, which airline is best, original poster discuss.

ORDJOE

Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:08 pm

Having been on flyertalk a lot, there are a number of people I see on that site that have the triple crown. It is a ton of flying, but it would make sense if you are based in NYC, LAX or that where you have an even choice of the three to what ever you want. If I was flying 300K BIS miles a year I would try the same so you get those benefits on pretty much any flight you could ever be on.

777fan

Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:33 pm

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 9):
congrats on getting that, but i'm not sure if "triple crown" is an achievement or just a reflection that one flies too much =)

Funny, that's what I was thinking. Assuming roughly 2/3 of the miles were truly BIS (takes the total down to roughly 200K), and that the average airspeed was somewhere in the range of 400mph, you have approximately 500 hours on a plane, or roughly ten hours per week; frankly, it's not nearly as much as you'd think. I'd be more curious to know how much of the total was paid out of pocket, vice corporate coffers.

Air Force pilots on average score a couple hundred hours in the cockpit although some crews can rack up many more annually. Pretty sure there's no "triple crown" for that, but to each their own.

777fan
DC-8 61/63/71 DC-9-30/50 MD-80/82/83 DC-10-10/30 MD-11 717 721/2 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 741/2/4 752 762/3 777 A306/319/20/33 AT

AA737-823

Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:31 am

Why? Because of all the partner upgrades to first class you receive for the person? Oh, wait....
Like I said, I love Southwest, but dont' see much advantage to an elite program. At least, not for myself.

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 8):
We used the free companion pass many times, a great benefit.

Aha, now we're onto something... but still, not of much value to me personally.

rsrik

Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:33 pm

Between 2007 - 2010, I was Platinum with Delta, and in 2008, I also attained Gold on United. And, in 2010 I earned Gold on Emirates.
Normally, I don't fly more than worth a Platinum in one of the airlines, so, I definitely stick to a single airline.

I spent a brief amount of time wondering if I should envy you for your feat.
Then, I recalled what 2008 was like for me ... And I am sure, I do not envy you  

Happy Flying.

Cubsrule

Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:11 pm

Quoting AA737-823 (Reply 14):
Why? Because of all the partner upgrades to first class you receive for the person? Oh, wait....

Remember, companion pass has essentially no restrictions. It's buy one get one free all the time. Free Wifi is a nice perk too (I don't know why other carriers don't do that).
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

lpdal

Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:47 am

I just earned US Airways Silver Preferred / OneWorld Ruby Status, and I'm going after UA Premier Silver / Star Alliance Silver plus Delta Silver Medallion / SkyTeam Silver next. So I'll have my own little Silver Crown to build off of as I go along. 

-LPDAL
TWU represented. All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.