Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tyler81190
Topic Author

Would A Dress/conduct Code Work For Airlines?

Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:57 am

So we have all heard about the Facebook page "Passenger Shaming" and have seen passengers behaving badly on the news etc. For those of us who either work onboard, or in the airports, or who travel frequently, we see passengers dressing badly as well.

I know all of you are thinking I have lost my mind talking about fashion on an aviation blog, unless I'm talking about a new suit made from old airplane seats, or some sweet modern furniture made from old airplane parts... But honestly, people on airplanes today should have a standard dress code. It should at the VERY LEAST require Shoes, Shirts, (actual) pants. It should also specifically exclude bathing suits, pajamas, any garments depicting illegal activities, garments with hate speech on them, something along those general lines.

I know the F.A.R.s regulate some passenger behavior with regard to complying with crew member instructions, but that is only once on board. Just a thought I had. Could an airline have a code of conduct for its passengers AND employees to help make travel a more civilized experience?

I am not thinking we will ever get back to the "good old days" of flying again, but I hope we can get to the point of passengers being basically clothed, and decently respectful to others, including airline employees, and other passengers, not just those traveling with them.

Braniff747SP

RE: Would A Dress/conduct Code Work For Airlines?

Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:08 am

Could they?

Sure--nothing stops them. They can make it black tie for all anyone cares.

They'd face backlash from the traveling public, however. Garbage dress is simply too ingrained in society for it to go away in public transit.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

tyler81190
Topic Author

Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:21 am

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 1):
Could they?

Sure--nothing stops them. They can make it black tie for all anyone cares.

They'd face backlash from the traveling public, however. Garbage dress is simply too ingrained in society for it to go away in public transit.

But if it were an industry effort, say Airlines for America, or IATA, or even the airline alliances that implemented it, there wouldn't be much room for backlash. Say if WN/AA/UA/DL/B6 all set a standard dress code / conduct code that was simple enough (no shirt, no shoes, no service?). The passengers couldn't really do anything about it... They could take the bus, drive, or perhaps an airline that didn't have such restrictions.

Braniff747SP

Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:26 am

Quoting tyler81190 (Reply 2):
But if it were an industry effort, say Airlines for America, or IATA, or even the airline alliances that implemented it, there wouldn't be much room for backlash. Say if WN/AA/UA/DL/B6 all set a standard dress code / conduct code that was simple enough (no shirt, no shoes, no service?).

Unrealistic. That would never happen.

or perhaps an airline that didn't have such restrictions.

...that would be all of them, essentially, minus one in your world.

Those PR departments would have a field day.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

777STL

Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:29 am

A dress code? Pssh. If the airlines want to go back to the 1950s and require a dress code, maybe they should start offering the same service they did back then too.
PHX based

tyler81190
Topic Author

Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:30 am

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 3):
Unrealistic. That would never happen.

I agree it would take an unrealistic amount of cooperation to get it done.

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 3):
...that would be all of them, essentially, minus one in your world.

Those PR departments would have a field day.

While they may hev a field day, and yes ONE airline would have to do it first, I think at least the big 3 in the U.S. would join together after someone ventured out first.

But I do realize it is near impossible to enforce, and highly unlikely it would happen.

Why are people such slobs?

threeifbyair

Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:31 am

Quoting tyler81190 (Thread starter):
For those of us who either work onboard, or in the airports, or who travel frequently, we see passengers dressing badly as well.

It's just not that often that I run across a passenger whose dress is even borderline offensive. The un-showered and breath mint phobic are much worse IMO. As are the people who put their bare feet on the seats in front of them. Good luck regulating that.

tyler81190
Topic Author

Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:32 am

Quoting 777stl (Reply 4):
A dress code? Pssh. If the airlines want to go back to the 1950s and require a dress code, maybe they should start offering the same service they did back then too.

I am sure they would if they could get away with charging what they did for tickets back then (taking into account inflation and adjusted fuel prices). Then only a small percentage of the public would be flying, just like the 40s-60s.

tyler81190
Topic Author

Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:34 am

Quoting threeifbyair (Reply 6):
It's just not that often that I run across a passenger whose dress is even borderline offensive. The un-showered and breath mint phobic are much worse IMO. As are the people who put their bare feet on the seats in front of them. Good luck regulating that.

Requiring shoes at all times would be easy to regulate... you don't wear shoes, your remaining itinerary is cancelled upon landing at destination, refunded, and you are told to have a nice day.

Clothing itself is not all that offensive usually, but when it is, it really is.

TWA772LR

Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:40 am

A dress codes wouldn't fly (pun intended). Some airlines have a dress code for their nonrevs and those aren't very popular.

As far as conduct, I'm pretty sure all airlines have an unwritten "don't be a dumbass" rule.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Gemuser

Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:42 am

people on airplanes today should have a standard dress code

What gives you or an airline or an organisation such as IATA the right to dictate how I dress? Provide I comply with local standards of cleanliness, probity and decency, as a customer I can dress as I like. You might have a case for shoes for safety reasons and maybe a shirt for cleanliness/decency, (although I have NEVER seen either no shirt or shoes on an aircraft, even in the most remote outback) otherwise mind your own business.

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

ltbewr

Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:51 am

I would note that some airlines based in the most conservative Islamic states or flights operating into or from them do have rules as to what a passenger cannot or must wear and conduct on the plane out of respect for customs and law in those countries.
There have been a number of threads here and elsewhere about challenged items of clothing or lack of them, as well as on not so nice behavior, smelly, rude, offensive and obnoxious behaviors by passengers as well as conflicts, diversions and denial of boarding of pax with such problems.
I don't think a mandated code will work except as to safety, but to have one to be enforced by underpaid and overworked check in, airport and in-flight staff would be very difficult but for the most extreme cases.

tyler81190
Topic Author

Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:55 am

Quoting gemuser (Reply 10):
What gives you or an airline or an organisation such as IATA the right to dictate how I dress? Provide I comply with local standards of cleanliness, probity and decency, as a customer I can dress as I like. You might have a case for shoes for safety reasons and maybe a shirt for cleanliness/decency, (although I have NEVER seen either no shirt or shoes on an aircraft, even in the most remote outback) otherwise mind your own business.

Passenger Shaming on Facebook, several pictures of people (men) without shirts on the plane... Also, people clipping their nails, foot and finger, onboard. Why should it be any different than a place of business?( like a supermarket or gas station) If you aren't dressed appropriately, get out.

tyler81190
Topic Author

Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:56 am

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 11):
I would note that some airlines based in the most conservative Islamic states or flights operating into or from them do have rules as to what a passenger cannot or must wear and conduct on the plane out of respect for customs and law in those countries.
There have been a number of threads here and elsewhere about challenged items of clothing or lack of them, as well as on not so nice behavior, smelly, rude, offensive and obnoxious behaviors by passengers as well as conflicts, diversions and denial of boarding of pax with such problems.
I don't think a mandated code will work except as to safety, but to have one to be enforced by underpaid and overworked check in, airport and in-flight staff would be very difficult but for the most extreme cases.

The most extreme cases are where it needs to be applied. But having something in writing perhaps in the contract of carriage, would shield the airline (legally) when they chose to enforce it.

mariner

Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:46 am

You might have a case for shoes for safety reasons and maybe a shirt for cleanliness/decency, (although I have NEVER seen either no shirt or shoes on an aircraft, even in the most remote outback) otherwise mind your own business.

It's quite common in the Outback for men with thongs to just slip 'em off once they're on the plane and and go barefoot.

In New Zealand children - boys especially - are brought up to go shoeless and many carry it with them into adulthood. There's a very smart word for it - discalced - but they don't usually travel on aircraft that way, except for a rare few.

Clothes are another matter and what puzzles me is why so many people want to dress as they do - like slobs. Jamie Oliver is worth about 50 million quid and looks as if he can't afford to buy a comb.

mariner

[Edited 2014-10-03 21:57:45]
aeternum nauta

S75752

Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:54 am

Airlines actually want your money, and I don't think that many fliers would demand a different flight just because of how some other passengers are dressed, except maybe in Business. At least in Y I'd say most just think about getting to their destination anyways, and (hopefully) have means to distract themselves from looking at other people.

As for conduct, Unruly passengers are likely a different story, with the law perhaps having some things to say about that, and airlines taking measures to prevent passengers who are obnoxious at the gate from boarding. At least, I'd hope.

777Jet

Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:18 am

"Would A Dress/conduct Code Work For Airlines?"

Airlines obviously have some kind of dress / conduct code as we seem to read stories about pax being removed from upper-class for not dressing correctly or pax being removed from flights for their conduct...

But... Having a proper dress code similar to what was expected in the good old days would only work for airlines that wanted to go bankrupt 
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

Gemuser

Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:37 am

Quoting tyler81190 (Reply 12):
Also, people clipping their nails, foot and finger,

What has that got to do with dress?

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

BestWestern

Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:09 am

I would prefer that people showered at least 12hours before getting on a plane.

Common decency should apply onboard.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

bennett123

Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:42 am

Personally, I would pass this test anyway. I expect that most on here would.

Incidentally, I do recall some customer's going into Tesco stores in pyjamas, and being refused service.

So it could be done.

Andy33

Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:49 am

But honestly, people on airplanes today should have a standard dress code. It should at the VERY LEAST require Shoes, Shirts, (actual) pants. It should also specifically exclude bathing suits, pajamas, any garments depicting illegal activities, garments with hate speech on them, something along those general lines.

But quite a number of airlines actually provide passengers with pajamas when they are flying in First internationally!

MillwallSean

Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:56 am

Well there was a time when people dressed up to take the taxi too. That was in the 1930ies.

In the 50ies we dressed up to take an airplane. Traveling suits were sold at the tailors. That was another era. An ear where the flight attendants were glamorous, young, pretty service friendly individuals who excelled at giving a VIP feeling to travelers. An era when the captain came out and greeted passengers, where the journey was an excitement in itself.
That era is long gone by.

however if we ever want some decency back its probably best to start at the other end.
Ask how airline staff is dressed and behave these days. What about a change in the face of the airlines. If passengers are to dress nicely (and to me their dress isn't a problem) its probably a good idea for the airlines to set the example. Starting with the look, the manners and the attitude of ground and flying staff.
Why on earth would a passenger dress up when he tend to be served by a sulky, overweight lady in her 50ies that has used to much make up and who see passengers (The one who pays her salary) as a nuisance when they ring the bell 5 times on a longhaul flight?
You get the passengers you deserve.

Same goes for check in. There is a reason why people like say Changi airport. Not all of it is due to the layout. Some is due to the great attitude of staff. being served by a young, pretty energetic lady/gentleman whose dress is impeccable is a major difference to
Have energetic, smart looking young staff that wants to provide good service throughout the flight and not sit down in the galley and the incentive to dress better would be there. At present that doesn't exist.

With that said I usually wear decent clothes when I fly.
No One Likes Us - We Dont Care.

richcandy

Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:12 am

Hi

When I worked in the industry in the early 90's airlines had dress codes for staff travelling on industry fares. No jeans etc. When selecting passengers for upgrades they would alway go with pax that were dressed smartly.

Frankly I find the idea of a dress code as very strange in todays world. You can spend up to £300 on a pair of jeans and buy a suit from as little as £50. So its difficult to understand how the guy in the suit is dressed better than the guy in the jeans.

Cipango

Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:21 am

Monarch Airlines have in the past denied boarding to people wearing extremely short shorts. Also the show Airline which follows EasyJet shows passengers, generally on a stag party, wearing nothing but boxers/briefs and a british flag around them being denied boarding.

So, like someone mentioned above, its an unwritten rule.
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

PHX787

Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:30 am

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 1):

I think in First class they should have at least a collared shirt or golf shirt. at least.

But if I am in economy, I dress comfortably- loose jeans, a t shirt. If I am flying across continents for 13 hours I don't want to be in a chokehold by my suit and tie.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

SCQ83

Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:29 am

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 11):

I have flown a few times SV out of the country and once in JED I was required to put some long pants (I was wearing some chino shorts and a short-sleeve shirt) in order to fly. No problem with flip-flops though since they are common in the region. However when flying SV from abroad or international carriers in and out of the country, I never had an issue with shorts.

Quoting tyler81190 (Reply 8):
Requiring shoes at all times would be easy to regulate... you don't wear shoes, your remaining itinerary is cancelled upon landing at destination, refunded, and you are told to have a nice day.

I usually fly long-haul with shorts and flip-flops. It makes me way more comfortable. I take off my flip-flops when I am seated during the flight. I don't place my feet like some of the pictures I have seen in that "Passenger Shaming" picture. And they don't smell  .

You can wear suit, tie and Oxford shoes and be sweaty and smelly and put your dirty shoes next to someone's head.

To me it comes down to common sense, respect for your fellow passengers and politeness rather than a dress code.

bennett123

Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:31 am

IMO, a dress code would help.

Dressing appropriately is all part of respecting other passengers.

Cipango

Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:45 am

A dress code doesn't need to be smart dress. Just simply a code that States Attire shouldn't offend.
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

ElanusNotatus

Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:05 am

Last time I was on an aircraft, along with an amenity kit, the crew gave me a pair of pyjamas to change into, a common enough occurance on airlines like Qantas International and Emirates. It allows passengers to hang their jackets, shirts and trousers in the wardrobe so that they are relatively fresh on arrival. Of course that wasn't down the back.

But many airlines already have a dress code of sorts and this will generally be included in their terms of carriage. Generally there is no specific description of what is deemed suitable but a vague reference to being barefoot or otherwise inappropriately dressed. How strictly the 'codes' are enforced varies and is often based on individual interpretation by either check-in or cabin crew. We have seen threads discussing passengers being escorted off the plane because, for example, someone thought their pants were being worn too low.

However, I am not overly concerned with what others choose to wear. Their behavour and general cleanliness is more important. Perhaps Gerard Depardieu was impeccably dressed when he urinated in the cabin on an Air France flight.
Crawl, walk, fly into the future

hOMSaR

Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:11 am

So we have all heard about the Facebook page "Passenger Shaming"

I hadn't heard about it until reading this thread. Don't plan to visit it, either.

Whether it's a Facebook page, blog, or news report, they're only going to report the anomalies, because reporting the norm doesn't generate interest.

This whole thing sounds like a solution in search of a problem, if you ask me. I'm not sure what real issue a dress code would address. Maybe the issue of stupid Facebook groups. In a world of 7 billion people, where hundreds of millions fly every year, you're going to run into a few here and there that may dress in a way you do not approve.

We already have a code of conduct, even if it's not explicitly written. If you do really bad stuff, you'll get thrown off the plane, maybe even causing a diversion.

And if I'm traveling on a long flight on a summer day on a plane with poor air conditioning (AC 767s, LH 747s), I'm going to be wearing shorts or sweatpants for my own comfort. If you don't like that, maybe you should look in the mirror and find out why that bothers you. No, "people did it in the 1950s" isn't an argument, either.
I was raised by a cup of coffee.

N747PE

Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:26 am

If you could eject offenders at flight level then it just might have chance 

PanHAM

Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:55 am

No shirt, no shoes no service and that shoulds be etneded to men's shorts as well. Whoever thinks that he/she can get on board a flight while dressing like the "people at Walmart" should know that the seat neighbour wants to be protected from sewaty human flesh.

Sitting next to such a slob is a disgusting experience and contains the threat to become infected by siome disease. Plus, a daily shower should be standard for anyone who can afford travel anyhow. .
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

silentbob

Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:06 pm

What gives you or an airline or an organisation such as IATA the right to dictate how I dress?

The contract of carriage that you agree to when purchasing a ticket on the airline would give them all the right that they would need, in theory.

Quoting tyler81190 (Reply 13):
The most extreme cases are where it needs to be applied. But having something in writing perhaps in the contract of carriage, would shield the airline (legally) when they chose to enforce it.

Not enforcing it consistently would create a legal problem, as would any application where religious or ethnic issues were involved. Even if the airlines were legally exonerated, the PR hit and legal costs would make it an unappetizing course of action.

RWA380

Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:35 pm

It should at the VERY LEAST require Shoes, Shirts, (actual) pants. It should also specifically exclude bathing suits, pajamas, any garments depicting illegal activities, garments with hate speech on them, something along those general lines.
Could an airline have a code of conduct for its passengers AND employees to help make travel a more civilized experience?

Of course they could, it may even get some folks to fly with them, advertising themselves as the only guaranteed civilized way to fly.

I hope we can get to the point of passengers being basically clothed, and decently respectful to others, including airline employees, and other passengers, not just those traveling with them

I think this is more or less the norm, however as we know with anything, there is always going to be one nimrod that can't buy a clue with a fistful of hundreds.

But if it were an industry effort, say Airlines for America, or IATA, or even the airline alliances that implemented it, there wouldn't be much room for backlash. Say if WN/AA/UA/DL/B6 all set a standard dress code / conduct code that was simple enough (no shirt, no shoes, no service?). The passengers couldn't really do anything about it... They could take the bus, drive, or perhaps an airline that didn't have such restrictions.

NKs P.R. Team would have a field day with this concept, Trashy Tuesdays, Smelly Saturdays .... LOL!

You're so on the spot with that comment, if they want 50s behavior, we want 50s service.

Quoting tyler81190 (Reply 5):

My sister is a human behavioral specialist, her perspective on this subject is that with so many different peoples concept of what is slobby, there can be no one benchmark to gauge this question. What you or I perceive as sloppy, may be quite acceptable to others.

Requiring shoes at all times would be easy to regulate... you don't wear shoes, your remaining itinerary is cancelled upon landing at destination, refunded, and you are told to have a nice day

Oh come on man, have you never been on a 12 hour flight and needed to take off your shoes to sleep & relax? This is why the airlines give you slippers to wear while you are flying onboard.

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 9):
Some airlines have a dress code for their nonrevs and those aren't very popular.

This has since changed, but back in the 90s I lived in Honolulu, I worked for the largest locally owned travel company in the State, as I was also their head corporate agent I handled the biggest accounts in the state. I was constantly (for 3 years) the top producing agent in the State of Hawaii for Delta Airlines, which meant I was fortunate to get 2 passes every 90 days year round. So I would show up at HNL dressed in a tie, jacket, slacks, button down shirt with T to get the sweat, and have to wait until I was onboard & seated to remove the jacket, which they always hung up for me.

Quoting tyler81190 (Reply 12):
several pictures of people (men) without shirts on the plane

Of course these won't be the guy who should be in the Magic Mike sequel, these'll be hairy, fat, sweaty ape like men.

Quoting mariner (Reply 14):
Clothes are another matter and what puzzles me is why so many people want to dress as they do - like slobs. Jamie Oliver is worth about 50 million quid and looks as if he can't afford to buy a comb

After working with high profile clients in the past, the majority wouldn't be sen outside w/o having their styist dress them, and their make-up artist do their magic as well, but there are a those that could care less what you or I think.

Quoting 777Jet (Reply 16):
Airlines obviously have some kind of dress / conduct code as we seem to read stories about pax being removed from upper-class for not dressing correctly or pax being removed from flights for their conduct..

I was on a flight in F with Kurt Cobain & Courtney Love, it was amazing what she was wearing (and not wearing) seems a bra was too much for her to get on under that ripped up withish T shirt & both were uniquely scented & surely loaded.

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 18):
I would prefer that people showered at least 12hours before getting on a plane.

Common decency should apply onboard

I'd like to see showers at the bigger airports, and if someone does not pass the sniff test through security, then they are required to shower before they can board a flight or not fly, that'll get people showering just hours before arriving for a flight

Quoting MillwallSean (Reply 21):
With that said I usually wear decent clothes when I fly.
Quoting richcandy (Reply 22):
Frankly I find the idea of a dress code as very strange in todays world. You can spend up to £300 on a pair of jeans and buy a suit from as little as £50. So its difficult to understand how the guy in the suit is dressed better than the guy in the jeans.

Just shows that it isn't just about how much something costs that decides if it's dress appropriate.

Quoting ElanusNotatus (Reply 28):
How strictly the 'codes' are enforced varies and is often based on individual interpretation by either check-in or cabin crew.

And this is the reason why this will NEVER happen. All it takes is one person to be removed from a flight wearing a halter top, then the next person who flies isn't removed, maybe because her tits look better in the top, and then the first already pissed off woman files a lawsuit. This kind of arbitrary enforcement would bring the legal out in countless numbers of people. The terms are far too subjective & open to myriads of interpretations.

We have seen threads discussing passengers being escorted off the plane because, for example, someone thought their pants were being worn too low

Pants with waistbands that are purposely worn below the buttocks is a capital offense and should be treated as such.

Perhaps Gerard Depardieu was impeccably dressed when he urinated in the cabin on an Air France flight.

A good example of how money not not = class.

Quoting hOMsaR (Reply 29):
No, "people did it in the 1950s" isn't an argument, either.

In the 50s people did it with out Air Conditioning, pressurization and with significantly slower air speeds.

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 31):
No shirt, no shoes no service and that shoulds be etneded to men's shorts as well. Whoever thinks that he/she can get on board a flight while dressing like the "people at Walmart" should know that the seat neighbour wants to be protected from sewaty human flesh

If you think people are going to get into slacks when boarding a flight at HNL, think again. Nice shorts are quite acceptable with a button down shirt and sandals. And since people who shop at Walmart likely wear what they buy at Walmart, you'll be hard pressed to find anyone dressed in a suit from Saville Row at Walmart.

Quoting silentbob (Reply 32):
Not enforcing it consistently would create a legal problem, as would any application where religious or ethnic issues were involved. Even if the airlines were legally exonerated, the PR hit and legal costs would make it an unappetizing course of action
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

SIA747Megatop

Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:41 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 24):
I think in First class they should have at least a collared shirt or golf shirt. at least.

Flying just isn't a novelty anymore. It's public transport, I don't dress up to take the bus or train.

On SQ, when I'm in F I usually wear a t-shirt, shorts and flip flops 'cause I'll be in the pyjamas for the duration of the flight (including the transits in ICN (have to ask on SIN-ICN), NRT, FRA, DME.

If I'm flying regional F/J (5hrs or less) I either carry the pyjamas I received on another flight or wear what attire I need to be wearing when I arrive (or the same combination I mentioned above). I carry the pyjamas for long haul J as well.

If I'm in Y I wear a t-shirt, comfortable shorts and flip flops/suede shoes - there's no reason for me to dress any better. I just want to be relaxed.

Quoting tyler81190 (Reply 5):

What I wear onboard is no different from what I wear casually.
I found the edit signature button

Heinkel

Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:47 pm

Last time I was on an aircraft, along with an amenity kit, the crew gave me a pair of pyjamas to change into, a common enough occurance on airlines like Qantas International and Emirates. It allows passengers to hang their jackets, shirts and trousers in the wardrobe so that they are relatively fresh on arrival. Of course that wasn't down the back.

I know that in F the pax gets a pyjama, sometimes from a famous brand / label.

One question remains: How can one change into the pyjama in style? (As long as you don't fly in "Le Residence" or so?) Is it recommended to change in the toilet an then walk back to your seat in the pyjama? And the same procedure again next morning to change into your standard clothes again?

olympic472

Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:40 pm

If the airlines want to go back to the 1950s and require a dress code, maybe they should start offering the same service they did back then too.

Agree. You reap what you sow.
Civil Aviation has a "Need for Speed"!

777STL

Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:57 pm

I don't have any problems with someone taking their shoes off at their seat to relax.

Quoting bennett123 (Reply 26):
Dressing appropriately is all part of respecting other passengers.

I guess I'm not enough of a busy-body to care what other passengers are wearing. It's public transportation, not a five star restaurant.
PHX based

copter808

Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:18 am

Quoting MillwallSean (Reply 21):
An era when the captain came out and greeted passengers

I have trouble understanding why someone who considers himself a "professional" doesn't still so this. I have seen a few--very few--who still do this. I usually thank them when I see that.

ElanusNotatus

Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:45 am

Quoting Heinkel (Reply 35):
How can one change into the pyjama in style?

When travelling with the likes of EK or SQ one can close the door to the suite, providing some privacy. If the airline does not offer suites passengers generally, though not always, use the toilet. Neither is particularly stylish but I guess one could stay in the cabin and ask the crew to put on some suitable "striptease" music  

The benefit of walking to the toilet to change is that one can leave a request for breakfast and it will be ready for you when you have washed and changed.
Crawl, walk, fly into the future