opethfan
Topic Author

Visa-free Transit Coming To Canada

Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:51 am

I'm surprised no one's mentioned this yet.

At a speech to the Vancouver Board of Trade yesterday, YVR CEO Craig Richmond explicitly stated that visa-free transit will be announced by the Canadian federal government "in a month or so."

Richmond noted that the mining and energy links between China and South America were causing over 1.2 million passengers to connect at hubs such as DXB due to Canada's current visa requirements. DL's growth at SEA was also mentioned as a rival for YVR's transpacific service. With visa-free international connections and US CBP pre clearance at YVR, SEA's position as a transpacific hub faces additional competition.

It is currently unclear how connecting passengers will be processed at Canadian airports such as YVR, however it is implied that secure transit areas will have to be constructed. Earlier this year, the airport opened the first phase of its new A and B domestic piers, primarily used by WestJet and regional domestic carriers. These piers allow easy connections between domestic and international flights, reinforcing the airport authority's focus on building a hub facility, as well as WestJet's increased number of international connections and codeshares.

Richmond expects up to 10 new routes to be announced in the years following the visa-free transit policy being implemented.

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/2014/10/22...yvr-as-global-hub-within-reach-ceo

http://www.biv.com/article/2014/10/y...-without-visa-program-help-it-bat/

http://www.biv.com/article/2013/11/v...ould-draw-new-direct-flights-to-y/

C010T3

RE: Visa-free Transit Coming To Canada

Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:17 am

Is YYZ already TWOV-capable between flights within the same terminal?

opethfan
Topic Author

Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:27 am

Quoting C010T3 (Reply 1):
Is YYZ already TWOV-capable between flights within the same terminal?

According to http://www.torontopearson.com/Connecting.aspx connecting pax still pass through CBSA. I know this to be the case at YYC and YVR, as well. I don't believe repassing security is required, though.

Nimish

Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:46 am

This should be good news - as many times I see good fares (India-USA) via YYZ, but can't choose those fares as I don't have a Canadian visa. Plus it's been ages since I flew AC metal  
Incredible India!

Aquila3

Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:57 am

Very good news for International travellers and for AC / Canada.
I really never understood how a liberal and open-minded country like Canada went into this transit visa non-sense.
chi vola vale chi vale vola chi non vola è un vile

peterinlisbon

Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:01 am

A very good idea. They should have their own policies rather than blindly following the USA. This will also enable them to handle a lot of Central/South America-Europe and Central/South America-Asia Traffic with fares of over 1000$, which the US will continue to lose out on.

[email protected]

Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:19 am

Quoting Opethfan (Reply 2):
I don't believe repassing security is required, though.

That would be strange, if you get a passenger from a foreign country I would assume they should pass security again, exception if you have special arrangement with the origin country, e.g. for travel within the European union, but doubt Canada is trusting e.g. China

blueflyer

Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:28 am

According to http://www.torontopearson.com/Connecting.aspx connecting pax still pass through CBSA. I know this to be the case at YYC and YVR, as well. I don't believe repassing security is required, though.

Connecting passengers have their own CBSA check-points. Going through is a breeze. I spend less time in line than I do at Starbucks.
This space forcibly cleansed to protect truthers

VCEflyboy

Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:57 am

Just let TK and EK fly to MEX and other places from YVR.
This is nonsense. They think of everything except the elephant in the room.
This is not gonna work.

C010T3

Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:24 am

I understand that this is the current orientation, but I meant the buildings and how they are designed. YVR could be preparing for extensive construction in order to prepare for this, but other airports could easily implement small changes that would allow TWOV if the layout would allow that.
Even though YVR is going for the market, YYZ would actually win the most if Canada implements these changes.

pnwtraveler

Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:11 pm

In the majority of cases these flights would be typically transfers within an Alliance. Most if not all Star is within T! at YYZ. Most if not all One World is within T3 at YYZ. All International at YVR is within the International pier.

At YYZ, T1 was designed with the potential to allow transfer between international flights without visiting CBSA so it wouldn't be a big expense to implement. And with the growing YYZ to South America direct flights and big increase of Chinese carriers and AC service to China the options are growing. Cross terminal transfers such as an AC flight from Brazil with a transfer to a CA flight from T3 will always require a CBSA visit first. The only way to accommodate that would be an airside within security shuttle bus going from T1 to T3. The airport has sufficient vehicles in storage and for replacement of the people mover train when it is down, and may still have the low floor shuttle buses in storage used for the two past remote stands (US regional flight terminal and infield International terminal). The vast majority of Central and South America potential and service lies at YYZ.

At YVR if it is an International flight transferring to another international flight, the changes as well will be minimal. There would need to be transfer belt before Customs for flights that do not have interline baggage (I can't think of any that serve YVR that would qualify as that though). Having one terminal helps. So for arguments sake a passenger could choose to fly CA to YVR and then transfer to BA to LHR. The added flight time vs over the pole would seem to make this rarer unless flights were too full on more direct routes or there was some pricing advantage.

However, I don't know if that will extend to US originating flights. Cross border flights treat US bound passengers from YYZ as "deemed to have entered temporary US jurisdiction" once you pass US Customs. The same for arrivals. The whole area is secure until you enter the Customs Hall and the passengers are kept discrete. Perhaps some sort of baggage transfer station prior to the CBSA desks with a way to return to the International Pier with just a show boarding pass and ID station to allow access would work without major construction. There are numerous flex hallways that can be opened and closed to allow for various streams of traffic, whether US secure, International arrivals, domestic transfer to International etc. This would seem to challenge the notion though that the person is deemed to be in the US until they cross customs, unless that is only for departing flights.

9252fly

Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:40 pm

Slightly on/off topic,will YYC,once they open the new International Terminal building next year have an in-transit option? It would be foolish not to have it built into the initial design.

Kaiarahi

Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:44 pm

Complete reclearance is required for all pax transiting to U.S. bound flights - i.e. pick up checked bags (at YYZ there's a dedicated carousel adjacent to CBP), clear CBP, put bags on belt, then reclear security in accordance with U.S. TSA practices (shoes off, universal pax scanning).
Empty vessels make the most noise.

drgmobile

Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:59 pm

Transit Without Visa is a program that already has existed in limited form since 1997 for travellers from some markets in Asia transiting over Canada to the U.S. For example, a traveller flying from Beijing to Denver over Vancouver or from Hong Kong to Cleveland over Toronto.

The current efforts that Vancouver is alluding to will see the program expanded to include more originating points for travellers to the U.S., as well as for international-to-international travellers. When fully realized, the program would allow a traveller from say Brazil to travel over Canada on his/her way to say Asia or Europe without requiring a Canadian visa.

The program is a rather important one for Canada's aviation sector as the ability to connect passengers onto a third international destination can make the difference between an international route into small population Canada is viable or not. Just capturing a small portion of the Asia-U.S. travel would represent a big business opportunity. And while travellers from Latin America can most certainly reach Europe without having to connect, TWOV expansion will provide additional options for travellers. For Latin America to Asia, travellers generally have to connect somewhere and the Middle East has been growing its marketshare in that important growing market.

DAL763ER

Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:34 pm

Quoting Drgmobile (Reply 13):
Transit Without Visa is a program that already has existed in limited form since 1997 for travellers from some markets in Asia transiting over Canada to the U.S. For example, a traveller flying from Beijing to Denver over Vancouver or from Hong Kong to Cleveland over Toronto.

This is a joke, right?

NYC-air

Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:06 pm

Quoting DAL763ER (Reply 14):
Quoting Drgmobile (Reply 13):

This is a joke, right?

That is this program - http://www.cic.gc.ca/English/department/twov/index.asp

It's for specific nationals (China, Indonesia, Thailand, Taiwan and Philippines) who are on their way to the US and already have a US visa. It sounds like they want to simply expand this to include travelers with South American visas.

opethfan
Topic Author

Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:34 pm

Quoting DAL763ER (Reply 14):
This is a joke, right?

Why would it be a joke? Instead of talking to CBSA they talk to CBP, and are cleared to enter that country instead.

opethfan
Topic Author

Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:10 pm

Quoting pnwtraveler (Reply 10):
At YVR if it is an International flight transferring to another international flight, the changes as well will be minimal. There would need to be transfer belt before Customs for flights that do not have interline baggage (I can't think of any that serve YVR that would qualify as that though). Having one terminal helps. So for arguments sake a passenger could choose to fly CA to YVR and then transfer to BA to LHR. The added flight time vs over the pole would seem to make this rarer unless flights were too full on more direct routes or there was some pricing advantage.

International connections (with interline baggage) don't use the same CBSA checkpoints as YVR-bound pax, do they? I thought the signs for international connections went to a separate CBSA checkpoint, or else they would come into contact with their bags in the baggage hall after the waterfall and require rescreening. And in an ideal situation, that connections CBSA checkpoint would simply be dismantled.

Viscount724

Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:14 pm

Quoting Aquila3 (Reply 4):
I really never understood how a liberal and open-minded country like Canada went into this transit visa non-sense.

Too many arriving passengers were claiming political asylum or refugee status on arrival which cost the government a lot of time and money before they could be deported.

drgmobile

Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:27 am

Quoting NYC-air (Reply 15):
It's for specific nationals (China, Indonesia, Thailand, Taiwan and Philippines) who are on their way to the US and already have a US visa. It sounds like they want to simply expand this to include travelers with South American visas.

That is not quite correct. The interest has always been about expanding the current program to open it to nationals of more countries originating from more locations, all for travel to the U.S. (First) And then also expanding it for non-U.S. international to international, which would include travellers from/to South America.

[Edited 2014-10-27 04:28:26]