DexSwart
Topic Author

Hong Kong Layover. Issues?

Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:00 pm

G'day! I'm flying back to meet up with my family in South Africa for Christmas, but my friend and I booked a four day layover in Hong Kong first. I'll continue on to DUR and she'll head back down to Melbourne.

She's a little worried about the "Umbrella Revolution" as it's known. As far as I can tell pretty much most attractions and sights are open and we should be right to cross over into Shenzhen for some shopping and head back as well as go to Disneyland.

On that topic, anything we should defintly try or see?

We're both pretty young, and she'll be 17 at the time so unfortunately unless I go clubbing by myself, those sorts of things re out of the question.  

We are just uni students so please be budget wise aye.
Cheers!

[Edited 2014-10-27 07:04:53]
Durban. Melbourne. Denver. Hong Kong.

neutrino

RE: Hong Kong Layover. Issues?

Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:30 pm

As per my reply below in the other HK layover thread, the umbrella revolution is not a everyday opportunity to witness something unusual.
Except for the three affected areas in Admiralty/Central, Causeway Bay/Wanchai & Mongkok where some roads are barricaded and closed to vehicular traffic causing a little inconvenience (still not a problem as they can all be accessed by the MTR lines), the rest of HK is as per normal.

If you are a martial arts fan in general & a Bruce Lee admirer in particular, head for the HK Heritage Museum near Shatin MTR station where there is now an exhibition featuring hundreds of memorabilia from collectors on this iconic legend. Entrance fees, which include an hour plus long documentary, at HKD10 per person is kind to your shallow pockets  
At nightfall, you can stake a stroll along the Avenue of Stars near the Star Ferry Terminal on the Tsim Sha Tsui side where at 8pm there is a daily laser show billed as the largest of its kind in the world....and its free.

For food, you can partake in the world's cheapest Michelin-starred restaurant; Tim Ho Wan which serves timsum. HKD100 or less can fill two hungry stomachs. They have three outlets including the original at Mongkok.
The other "should try" at about the same price for two is Tsim Chai Kee's wanton noodles in Wellington Street near the mid-levels escalator, Central, HK island.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Topic: RE: 12hr Overnight Layover In HKG - Options
Name: neutrino
Date: 2014-10-27 07:49:04

Quoting neutrino (Reply 8):
I've been to HK a number of times in the last ten months and in fact just left there 2 days ago.
I second aerorobnz's suggestion that you hop off to town to join in the "umbrella revolution"....as a bystander.
An opportunity for you to witness up close such a "historic" event. I went once each to the Admiralty and Mongkok sites during the day, and twice to Mongkok again in the evening. Kind of quiet in the daylight hours but witnessed some "exciting" activities after sunset. Still, its generally peaceful and I would say pretty safe.
I can send you some photos with my young son posing at both sites if you pm me.

edit to say: ...and oh yes, when you get to the airport go grab the Octopus Card at HKD150 which come with $100 credit for the public transport rides (& more), with the remaining $50 being refundable deposit. Each recharge is at minimum $50 (unused balance also refundable). Saves you the hassle of loading up on small change.

[Edited 2014-10-27 09:08:37]
Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis

Cipango

Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:46 pm

There is so much that HK has to offer. Whether that is wandering around Stanley (on the south of HK island, away from any protest) or walking around the Peak.

I would not let the Umbrella Revolution put you off spending time in HK. I have lived in HK and trust me it will take a lot more than a pro-democracy protest to make anyone uncomfortable in HK, it's truly an amazing and VERY safe place.

----

A personal tip - each weekday Mortons Steakhouse in the Sheraton Hotel, TST, has a happy hour from 5pm-7pm. They might have virgin cocktails and if so buy a cocktail and you will get unlimited steak sandwiches for free.
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

777Jet

Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:30 pm

Quoting DexSwart (Thread starter):
we should be right to cross over into Shenzhen for some shopping

I always go into Shenzen, to the Lo Wu Shopping Plaza, to kill one day and do some shopping during HK trips. Last time I was there, Aussie passport holders could apply for the 1 day Shenzen Visa at the border after you get off the train (US passport holders could not as somebody in our group who did not do research found out - maybe this has changed???). Get there first thing, and I mean as soon as it opens, because sometimes the wait lines to get the visa can be long if you arrive a few hours after the visa office has opened. If I was you, to save time and if you can, I'd try to get the Shenzen Visa in Australia before you leave to HK -(I think you can also apply at a Chinese embassy whilst in HK too - but that's more wasted time)- to save time and not have to deal with getting it at the border.
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

[email protected]

Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:53 am

Quoting DexSwart (Thread starter):
We're both pretty young, and she'll be 17 at the time so unfortunately unless I go clubbing by myself, those sorts of things re out of the question.

Well there is hardly any age check in HKG when you go clubbing or to bars (SoHo , LKF etc..) ... So you both should not miss that !

Enjoy HKG!