flyboy22
Topic Author

Best Transatlantic Premium Economy?

Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:33 am

Will be flying to Europe next summer, and am looking into the best PE cabin. It will be on vacation and we do not have a set destination yet, but were thinking perhaps either YYZ-CDG, YYZ-LHR, or YYZ-FRA. We have looked into flying out of JFK as the fares are slightly reduced, although flying out of Toronto is certainly more convenient (we're about an hour or so outside of of YYZ).

I have done some reading online, and AF's PE is getting mostly positive reviews, although the general consensus is that the seats are not too comfy for sleeping. Haven't read much about BA's PE, although I know that the equipment varies between the the 747 and 777, and the 747 product appears a bit outdated.

I believe that the equipment AC flies on those routes carry the older Project XM style cabin, so they wouldn't have PE onboard, not entirely sure though.

Any thoughts appreciated!

longhauler

RE: Best Transatlantic Premium Economy?

Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:28 am

Quoting flyboy22 (Thread starter):
I believe that the equipment AC flies on those routes carry the older Project XM style cabin, so they wouldn't have PE onboard, not entirely sure though.

You will know when you search flights, as if the fare is offered, the cabin is available. Some B777s, (soon) some A330s and all B787s have PE. Booked far enough in advance, PE is a very good deal.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

777ER
Head Moderator

Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:45 pm

I would recommend NZs Space Seat in Y+, but they only fly LAX-LHR. The middle seats are designed for couples where the window side seats are designed for single travellers/privacy
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789
With: NZ,SJ,QF,JQ,EK,VA,AA,UA,DL,FL,AC,FJ,SQ,TG,PR

LGW777

Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:03 pm

If you can score a seat on a BA 788 or newly configured 772 the PE seats are very good and you get to eat the Biz meal.

Not sure what your budget is but I have regularly flown LON-JFK on DL and found that if legroom is the most important thing to you, the peanuts they charge for Economy Comfort (around $50-$100 per sector) is WELL worth it. But be advised , this is most definately not a PE cabin in the style of BA or AF.

[Edited 2014-11-08 14:04:05]

longhauler

Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:37 pm

Have you considered a destination served by Air Canada Rouge? "Premium Rouge" is the premium cabin product on these flights sold at Premium Economy prices.

The seats are 21" wide arranged 2x2x2, and the onboard product is identical to Domestic Business Class. The fare also includes upgraded boarding and baggage handling and Maple Leaf Lounge access. All for a P/E fare, less than $2000 to most desinations.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

YXD172

Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:59 pm

It's not PE, but the AF 747 upper deck Y class is a pretty nice experience. Small cabin, 34" pitch, good service... And it's the top deck of a 747! They usually fly it YUL-CDG over the summer.
Radial engines don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory!

mict

Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:21 am

TK probably has the best Y+ cabin over the Atlantic. However, you would have to through IST. Might be a good option if you want to visit Turkey.

PenPusher

Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:53 pm

How about Westjet to Dublin on a Plus fare, then nearly anywhere else in Europe on Aer Lingus or Ryanair ?

DocLightning

Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:31 pm

Quoting Mict (Reply 6):
TK probably has the best Y+ cabin over the Atlantic. However, you would have to through IST. Might be a good option if you want to visit Turkey.

They are discontinuing that product.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

LAX772LR

Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:52 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 8):

Sadly yes, but IINM, the seats are still left on a large number of their 77Ws, and they're incredibly nice (for coach) if you can get them!
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

jetwet1

Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:51 am

I'm amazed nobody has mentioned VS yet, the originators of the PE cabin.

Though IMHO as mentioned above NZ is ahead of every other airline in this cabin, but that's of little use to someone on the East coast.

whiskeyhotel

Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:18 pm

Don't forget to check business class fares from various airports. SkyTeam and OneWorld have been locked in a recurrent battle to European destinations (LHR, CDG, BCN, MXP, MAD, and HEL, primarily) for several months. Not uncommon to see $2,000 (or less) roundtrip fares to those destinations in business class through the end of the published schedules. Given what premium economy generally goes for during peak Summer tourist season (business travel drops off in Summer months), you can often fly business for a small premium over (or sometimes even cheaper than) PE.

Premium Deals thread on FlyerTalk is a good source for those fares:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/

A current example is the MKE-LHR fare on DL/VS, which has been around for months. Priced it at $2200 roundtrip for random dates in July. There are lots of other city pairs and combos out there.

There are positioning costs to consider, but hopefully those can be addressed with frequent flyer miles.

As to which PE product I prefer for TATL flights, I've only sampled BA and AF, and much prefer the product on BA to AF. The seat-padding on the AF seat is incredibly thin, and I find the "recline" (sliding seat-pan in a hard-shell enclosure) really uncomfortable. I would not select AF PE for an overnight flight. At least in WTP with BA, I can get a decent night's sleep if I take a Lunesta.

If you go the BA WTP route, consider upgrading on your overnight segment if you have Avios or can obtain them through a credit card sign up bonus. The upgrade only costs 12,500 Avios per person one-way, and you can upgrade as long as there is I class availability (the standard award bucked for business class), which is searchable on BA.com.

reifel

Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:46 pm

Regarding AF's premium Economy, they have one advantage compared to other airlines which I wanted to point out:
-If you have a feeder flight within Europe, AF will sit you in front of the curtain with Business Class passengers. The middle seat will not remain empty, but you will receive Business class service including catering on the european segments. All other Premum Economy Airlines you fly "real coach"
-You will be treated with Sky Priority: Seperate Check in Counter, Bag priority labels, and you will be able to fast track security and in Paris also fast track immigration. That is especially useful if you have a connecting flight in Paris.

lesfalls

Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:00 am

Nobody has named DY (Norwegian) yet(   ) premium economy. I would greatly recommend Norwegians Premium economy. They offer you a lounge service (select citys) ,really big seats and the tickets in Norwegians priemium economy are a really good price.Take a look at them.

Lesfalls
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen mehr.

mict

Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:25 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 8):

Quoting Mict (Reply 6):

Y+ will still be around this summer on TK