Topic Author

AC Express Incident At YEG

Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:12 am

https://twitter.com/daveheath83/status/530575302225719296

https://twitter.com/inqing_mind/status/530591045151510530/photo/1

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20141106-0

http://www.jacdec.de/2014/11/07/2014...ndercarriage-collapse-at-edmonton/

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...monton+airport/10360461/story.html

AC Flight #8481, YYC (Calgary, AB.) to YQU (Grand Prairie, AB).

Blown tire on take-off from YYC. Aircraft was diverted to YEG (Edmonton, AB) for Emergency landing due to strong winds @ YYC. Right hand gear collapse upon landing at YEG. Three people injured, no details on injuries.
AC.WA.CP.DL.RW.CO.WG.WJ.WN.KI.FL.SK.ACL.UA.US.F9

Clydenairways

RE: AC Express Incident At YEG

Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:19 am

drgmobile

Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:12 pm

I have to admit that I think about the gear, every time I land in a Q400 -- they land pretty hard sometimes. Recognizing of course that a proper accident investigation will take place, does this at first blush resemble the landing gear issues with the Q400 we had in Europe a few years back?

Kaiarahi

Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:59 pm

Quoting drgmobile (Reply 2):
does this at first blush resemble the landing gear issues with the Q400 we had in Europe a few years back?

It shouldn't - there was an AD / fix for that issue which has long since been implemented.
Empty vessels make the most noise.

Aquila3

Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:54 pm

Does this mean that they never retracted the gear?
Because if they did, and in the impossibility of safely returning to YYC , it could have made sense to continue to destination. Unless there are maintenance / weather /runaway / Emergency services issues at destination, is not like you need the MLG to fly.
chi vola vale chi vale vola chi non vola è un vile

INFINITI329

Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:53 pm

Quoting Aquila3 (Reply 4):
Because if they did, and in the impossibility of safely returning to YYC , it could have made sense to continue to destination. Unless there are maintenance / weather /runaway / Emergency services issues at destination, is not like you need the MLG to fly.

More resources in YYC

How did the crew know they had a blown tire?

Aquila3

Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:05 pm

Quoting infiniti329 (Reply 5):
More resources in YYC

But they did NOT divert to YYC (that would have made sense, just after takeoff).
And of wich kind of resources are you talking about?
You have to remember that if you do not arrive to destination, you have probably to provide for the stranded passengers
chi vola vale chi vale vola chi non vola è un vile

Boeing744

Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:37 pm

Quoting Aquila3 (Reply 4):
More resources in YYC
Quoting Aquila3 (Reply 6):
But they did NOT divert to YYC (that would have made sense, just after takeoff).
You have to remember that if you do not arrive to destination, you have probably to provide for the stranded passengers

The longest runway at YQU (Grande Prairie) is 6,500ft, whereas YEG has a 11,000ft runway. That is probably a big reason, plus the greater availability of emergency medical services in a city like Edmonton. Makes a lot of sense to divert there.

cyeg66

Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:06 pm

How did the crew know they had a blown tire?

Probably because of the large, tire-sized chunks of rubber left behind on departure on YYC's 35L necessitating its temporary closure.  
slow to 160, contact tower, slow to 160, contact tower, slow to....ZZZZZZZ......

ac7e7

Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:42 pm

They did not return to Calgary due to high winds.

Providing for stranded passengers is immaterial in these circumstances. A replacement aircraft can easily be flown in to fly the passengers to their destination.

INFINITI329

Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:07 pm

They attempted to return to YYC but the winds were to strong so they diverted to YEG. Its not that big of a deal when the passengers are going to YYC or YEG. Both cities have a very large AC presence so they would have been airborne fairly quickly (YYC as hub and YEG as focus city).

Quoting Cyeg66 (Reply 8):
Probably because of the large, tire-sized chunks of rubber left behind on departure on YYC's 35L necessitating its temporary closure.

Thanks Captain Obvious... On the takeoff roll or rotation how would the crew have been alerted to the blow out? (ie sensor,light) I really doubt you could hear it over the engines and it was night so Im assuming ATC could not have seen it either.

Viscount724

Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:55 am

Quoting infiniti329 (Reply 10):

They attempted to return to YYC but the winds were to strong so they diverted to YEG.

They probably would have returned to YYC but the crosswind runway 11-29 was closed, I believe for maintenance or construction. A Kelowna Flightcraft DC-10-30 freighter from YHM overshot and diverted to YVR about the same time due to crosswinds in excess of their limits. It also declared minimum fuel on approach to YVR.

KarelXWB

Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:33 pm

I find it shocking that the propeller has pierced the fuselage, luckily nobody was sitting in that seat.

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/B19XojRCEAE5_z4.jpg:large
http://twitter.com/ctvedmonton/status/531239636136636416/
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

Quantos

Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:47 pm

I'm curious how a tire blowout would incapacitate the gear enough that it collapses upon landing. As for the prop, I guess it is unlucky, but still reasonably logical that upon gear failure the propeller could shear off and bounce into the cabin. The fact no fatalities occurred is amazing.
Quantos,

I maintain the Airbus A220 (formerly Bombardier C Series) Aircraft Status sheet: https://goo.gl/HZshto
Feel free to comment on the sheet with any improvement suggestions and data update requests! Thanks to Paolo92 for his advice!

Viscount724

Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:35 am

Quoting Quantos (Reply 13):
As for the prop, I guess it is unlucky, but still reasonably logical that upon gear failure the propeller could shear off and bounce into the cabin. The fact no fatalities occurred is amazing.

The flight was almost full, 71 passengers per news reports, meaning only 3 empty seats.

KarelXWB

Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:32 pm

The fact no fatalities occurred is amazing.

This.

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 14):
The flight was almost full, 71 passengers per news reports, meaning only 3 empty seats.

Extremely lucky.

ac7e7

Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:35 pm

Are the props supposed to bend in the event of an accident?

xero9

Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:59 pm

As someone who flies quite a bit with Porter, I usually try to avoid the seats right next to the propeller. Now more than ever will I avoid them.

rikkus67
Topic Author

Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:16 pm

I'm curious how a tire blowout would incapacitate the gear enough that it collapses upon landing.

If both tires had failed, I'm sure that the forces on the struts would easily be great enough to snap the gear.

(Surmising scenario) If the gear had held, it might have dug into the pavement, and caused the aircraft to swing violently to the right. This could have caused more serious injuries, and even more substancial damage to the aircraft.
AC.WA.CP.DL.RW.CO.WG.WJ.WN.KI.FL.SK.ACL.UA.US.F9

KarelXWB

Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:04 pm

A quote from one of the passengers:

Quote:
Kurylo was one of five Grande Prairie radio station employees on the plane. She was sitting in row seven when part of one of the plane's propellers smashed through the window, narrowly missing her face.

"All of a sudden I got hit in the head," she said. "It was pretty confusing for me. It's bits and pieces for me after that."

"The propeller, obviously that didn't hit her, but the whole inside wall of the plane blew out so she had fibreglass and everything all embedded in her skin," said her co-worker Melissa Menard who was also on the plane.

Source
http://gawker.com/passenger-injured-...canada-propeller-flying-1656697761

aerokiwi

Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:24 am

So, I posted this too in the general forum, which subsequently got deleted. Shouldn't something this significant be there for broader discussion?