csturdiv
Topic Author

Question For The Aussies: Flight Centre

Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:55 am

Question for you about Flight Centre. How good are they in booking flights and hotels? I just recently booked a several day stay in AKL and will be primarily staying in the AKL area. Reason for this trip was to just get a B789 flight, see a bit of New Zealand and then head back to SYD (which ended up being on a B763). Even though I have not even made my AKL trip yet, I am thinking of a return trip to NZ sometime in the coming year before I return to the ORD area. My ideas for the second trip are to go to the South Island, and at first I was looking at the Air New Zealand site to see what flights are there for a proposed trip going Sydney-Christchurch-Dunedin-Queenstown-Invercargill and then working my way back to Sydney. That seemed a bit of a daunting task and then having to also do hotels. So I guess my rambling question is, is Flight Centre a good outlet to help arrange flights and hotels for the areas that I want to go to? Looks like they are a real travel agency and not one that is just selling packages to certain areas, correct?
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

bps3458

RE: Question For The Aussies: Flight Centre

Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:18 am

Hi Craig,

whenever I ask Flight Centre for a quote (mainly business class flights to Europe and the US from BNE) they are usually more expensive than what I can find directly online. Will then go back to them and send them a screen shot of the price I found online and they usually beat it by A$ 10.00. Also have noticed that the people I deal with here in Brisbane lack any creativity. As a QF Platinum always focus on flying OW airlines but whenever I ask them to check for cheapest OW business class ticket to Europe they always come back with QF only. To be honest, for a trip to NZ would search and book online. Hope this helps.

Cheers from Brisbane,

Peter

bunumuring

Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:25 am

Hi mate,
I second what is written above.
Once, I undercut Flight Centre's best offer for flights to China for four by nealy $2000. They have the well publicised price-match guarantee and I had to argue hard to get it honored. They eventually did, and credited me a hundred dollars per ticket for my next booking as compensation.
I haven't used them since.
I book everything myself online. That way, I can control the airline and aircraft type I want as these are crucial to me. Travel agents just don't get it, except one brilliant one I exclusively used 'pre-internet' - hello Donna from Travelworld wherever you are!
Also, I have found that neighboring Flight Centres can be quite competitive against each other. Use that to your advantage.
Cheers,
Bunumuring.
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

aklrno

Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:15 am

I use flight centre in Auckland all the time. I have had no problems. Sometimes they get me some good hotel deals. If you are traveling in NZ I recommend using an AKL office.

csturdiv
Topic Author

Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:04 am

Thanks for the info. I just was thinking that booking multiple flights and hotels for the cities at one time would be a pain and was looking for an easy way out. Maybe I will try to do it myself when the time comes that I start to seriously look into the trip in a month or so. I booked my upcoming trip to AKL myself, which like you said Bunumuring it let me take control over the airline and hotel, and I guess that is the way to go when I plan my south island adventure. I am just looking forward to getting down to Invercargill, which will beat my current "farthest south in the world destination", which is the very southern tip of Tasmania.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD