Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Superfly
Topic Author

Asiana A380 Vs. Korean Air A380

Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:10 am

I'm looking at flights to the US from Bangkok to Los Angeles.
Asiana an Korean Air both have the A380 on the LAX route via Seoul.
If flying in coach, which of the two are better?

Unfortunately Thai Airways doesn't use their A380 on the LAX route and Singapore Airlines would require two stops.
Which of the two Korean carriers have the best in terms of seat comfort and selection of booze?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Hyeonwoo Noh - Korea Aero Photos

Bring back the Concorde

hoons90

RE: Asiana A380 Vs. Korean Air A380

Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:42 am

If you're considering Korean, bear in mind that their meal portions have become rather small over the past few years (wouldn't call it scant like some of the N. American carriers, but still).

Korean A380s have one more inch of seat pitch than Asiana's. 34" vs 33".

Also, Asiana is in the midst of tackling some disconcerting safety issues whereas Korean successfully went through that process 15 years ago.
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ

Superfly
Topic Author

Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:57 am

Quoting hoons90 (Reply 1):
If you're considering Korean, bear in mind that their meal portions have become rather small over the past few years (wouldn't call it scant like some of the N. American carriers, but still).

Sounds like influence from Delta. I should be uneasy about flying on a Skyteam airline. I don't like Skyteam, although China Airlines is nice.
How about the booze? Are they charging like Delta & United?

Korean A380s have one more inch of seat pitch than Asiana's. 34" vs 33".

That is very important.

Also, Asiana is in the midst of tackling some disconcerting safety issues whereas Korean successfully went through that process 15 years ago.

I'll try to get a seat close to the front if I fly Asiana...
Bring back the Concorde

hoons90

Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:25 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 2):
How about the booze? Are they charging like Delta & United?

Korean Air provides free alcohol to all passengers regardless of cabin, and so does Asiana.
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ

Superfly
Topic Author

Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:37 am

Quoting hoons90 (Reply 3):
Korean Air provides free alcohol to all passengers regardless of cabin, and so does Asiana.

Good.
BTW, is it possible to fly Bangkok to Hong Kong and then get the Singapore Airlines A380 to Los Angeles?
I want to do this in a single ticket transaction. I know Singapore has the best A380 across the Pacific.
Bring back the Concorde

mercure1

Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:58 pm

I have always liked Asiana and found their service very good. I dont view SFO accident as indicative of permanent black eye.
I'm personally bored of Skyteam, and tend to avoid member carriers but have heard positives about KE.

Either way you will transit ICN, which itself is a very good airport.
mercure f-wtcc

AirAfreak

Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:50 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 2):
Are they charging like Delta & United?

DELTA doesn't charge for alcohol in any class of service on Transoceanic/Interport flights  

Korean Air for the legroom and the customer service. If you ever decide to book Prestige Class, Korean Air really and truly have wonderful options on all meal services, including breakfast! I love the Korean Air Lounges because you have wonderful views of the tarmac. I have an excellent photo of the A380 by Korean Air!  

I've heard really great things about Asiana, too!

ICN is my favorite airport in the entire world!!!! My favorite part about Incheon Airport is listening to the string-quartet setting a relaxing mood in the airport. Sometimes, you have a piano player, too! There is also a great noodle stand on the second floor.

Have a nice flight to Los Angeles!
Korean Air | Excellence in Flight.

airpearl

Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:17 am

If you prefer sitting on the upper deck (as many do on the A380 due to the better 2-4-2 configuration and side storage compartments), Asiana is the only one that provides it in a mini cabin at the back. Korean's A380 is all Business Class on the second level.

Otherwise, I think both are pretty comparable. It boils down to whether you want your miles credited to Star or Skyteam.