Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TWA772LR
Topic Author

TSA Precheck: Fees?

Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:25 pm

I'm doing some research on applying for TSA Precheck and I found you have to pay an $85 fee. Is that a one-time fee that's good for life, or is that an annual fee? How long do memberships last?

Thanks in advance!
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

CV990A

RE: TSA Precheck: Fees?

Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:44 pm

The fee is for 5 years, at which point you've got to renew. It is totally worth it - regardless of how many trips a year you take. I've gotten to the airport 20 minutes before departure, and managed to make my flight thanks to PreCheck. (Not that I make a habit out of doing that)
Kittens Give Morbo Gas

nws2002

Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:47 pm

If you have an American Express card (might be limited to a certain type) they will refund either PreCheck or Global Entry fees. You just have to pay the fees on the AmEx card. I did this with Global Entry, worked out great.

MAH4546

Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:43 pm

Also if you are elite on most major airlines, there is no fee, you just need to opt in.
a.

KBJCpilot

Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:49 pm

I did the Global Entry and TSA Precheck at the same time and it was the best decision I've made as a traveler. I flew into IAD a few weeks ago and was through customs in 5 minutes and made a 40 minute connection as a result of the Global Entry program.

I flew out of DEN the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and the lines for the "commoners" going through the regular TSA screening was over 45 minutes. I made it from the curb to my gate in 10 minutes utilizing the TSA Precheck system. I swear by it. I've used it at over 15 airports this year and the longest I've been in line was about 5 minutes in LAX.
Samsonite, I was way off!

planeguy727

Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:43 am

If you ever leave the country pay the extra $15 and get Global Entry (includes PreCheck).
I want to live in an old and converted 727...

DesertAir

Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:45 am

I am a membe of SENTRI. It is a program for those of us who frequently cross between the USA, Mexico and Canada by land. I added my number to my WN account and am inclueded in PreCheck.

einsteinboricua

Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:55 pm

I'd say it's well worth the money. About $17/year for 5 years is not a bad deal. I've only used it once since I was approved, but man what a difference it makes. I'm eager to test it out again later this month. If you live by the mantra that "time is money" then you'll appreciate skipping the long checkpoint in favor of a more expedited one.

Quoting nws2002 (Reply 2):
American Express card (might be limited to a certain type)

It's the Platinum versions and beyond
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Cubsrule

Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:36 pm

Quoting Mah4546 (Reply 3):
Also if you are elite on most major airlines, there is no fee, you just need to opt in.

Indeed, but having a trusted traveler number takes the rate of getting precheck up very close to 100 percent, where no elite is that high even on his "elite" airline (never mind the times he has to fly someone else).
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

CV990A

Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:20 am

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 8):
Indeed, but having a trusted traveler number takes the rate of getting precheck up very close to 100 percent

This year I'm 29 for 30 getting Precheck with the TTN (that and I'll never get 'elite' enough to not need the number)
Kittens Give Morbo Gas

opethfan

Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:09 am

Quoting DesertAir (Reply 6):

I don't believe Sentri includes entry to Canada, as you don't get interviewed by a CBSA agent.

gocaps16

Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:02 am

I did not have to pay for TSA Precheck since it is free for all active-duty military, but I think it is a wonderful program for those who travel frequently and with a secure background. It is so nice to have our own line and do not have to wait 30 minutes or more. The most I waited was 5 minutes and that was in Vegas. If I were you, I would apply for Global Entry which includes the TSA Precheck for $100 for 5 years. I ended up applying for Global Entry since I travel international frequently and it is probably the best $100 I ever spent. I could not care so much for TSA Precheck but if I was not in the military, then it would be worth it.

mict

Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:08 am

Last week, I flew from DTW to FRA and went through precheck, I never registered and am not even a US citizen. It looked like they were taking random passengers to go through the precheck line.
Anyone have more information on that? It was a very pleasant experience.

mark2fly1034

Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:26 am

Quoting Mict (Reply 12):
Last week, I flew from DTW to FRA and went through precheck, I never registered and am not even a US citizen. It looked like they were taking random passengers to go through the precheck line.

I bet you went through the normal line and where told by a TSA agent to go to a different line at some point. They have iPads that point to a direction and one is a precheck line and the other is the normal security line. Not sure the reason behind it but hey looks like it worked out for you.

I got Global Entry about a month ago and I am 10 for 10 with precheck and have had no problems with the GE machines only used them 4 times but its way worth it.

nws2002

Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:17 pm

Quoting Mict (Reply 12):

Yes, they use an iPad and a randomizer app that shuffles random passengers through the PreCheck lane. I would assume the goal is to speed up security checkpoints and make use of the PreCheck lane that is rarely at capacity.

L1011

Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:08 am

I have Global Entry, and last week I had to take my shoes off in the Pre-Check line at LAX. This has never happened to me before and I've always worn the same shoes. Also, I never get Pre-Check at AirTran or Spirit, even though I show them my global entry ID when I check in.

Bob Bradley
Fly Eastern's Golden Falcon DC-7B

hawaiian717

Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:04 pm

Quoting L1011 (Reply 15):
Also, I never get Pre-Check at AirTran or Spirit, even though I show them my global entry ID when I check in.

Neither AirTran nor Spirit participate in the PreCheck program.