rcair1
Topic Author

Upcoming Trip To Pima Air Musuem

Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:38 pm

I'll be headed out in a few days on a bit of a road trip - down to the PIMA Air Museum and AMARG boneyard in Tuscon, AZ. Alas - I will not be flying there - just me and one of my Scotties riding co-pilot in my truck. But it is a real adventure. Nice thing about PIMA is it is dog friendly - Atticus (aks "Dude") can come along.

I'll be there 2 days - thinking of visiting the Titan Missile Museum as well.

Taking the camera and planning on being leisurely. This is a trip just for the visit.

Suggestions on specific things to see/do. Also - any stops on the way? (I-25 from Northern Colorado).

A trip report when I get back may be in the works.
rcair1

n901wa

RE: Upcoming Trip To Pima Air Musuem

Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:28 pm

Great Museum. I been there a few times for work. I ended up 1 day at the Museum, and the 2nd day going on the Tour, so I didn't get rushed. I didn't go to the Titan Museum, but I wish I did. Gotta try on my next trip. If you like History, Tombstone was Very Cool. Got to see Boothill, and Bought a New Stetson while I was there   HTH

rcair1
Topic Author

Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:33 am

Quoting n901wa (Reply 1):

Great Museum. I been there a few times for work. I ended up 1 day at the Museum, and the 2nd day going on the Tour, so I didn't get rushed. I didn't go to the Titan Museum, but I wish I did.

Great input - thanks!
rcair1

flyinggoat

Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:19 am

If you're up for some nice scenery along the way, I suggest taking I40 into AZ, then droping down Hwy 60. The drive down 60 is really nice, especially the area around the Salt River Canyon. Once you get to Globe, pick up state road 88. 88 is a well maintained dirt road that runs along a river/lake, trough some awesome canyons, and into the eastern part of Phoenix. Two years ago I spent 5 months and over 25,000 miles driving around the western part of the U.S., and I would say 88 is one of my favorite roads. And, of course, if you come in on I40, there's the Painted Desert and Petrified Forest National Park. Neither are really that great, imho, but you may like a visit.

If you venture south of Tucson, the towns of Tombstone, Bisbee, and Lowell are pretty interesting.

Saguaro National Park is near Tucson, and the drive up to Mt. Lemon is awesome.

Both Pima and the graveyard are fantastic. I'd like to go back eventually.

Just my $.02.

TWA772LR

Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:36 pm

It's a cool museum. It's literally across the street from Davis-Monthan AFB so when you take a break from walking, you can see down and watch A-10s do touch-and-gos. You can even see the whole museum, especially the Boeing YC-15, on take off from TUS.

Another thing to do in Tucson is to stop by the Titan II missile museum
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

rcair1
Topic Author

Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:30 pm

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 4):
Another thing to do in Tucson is to stop by the Titan II missile museum

I was planning on it.

Quoting flyinggoat (Reply 3):
The drive down 60 is really nice, especially the area around the Salt River Canyon. Once you get to Globe, pick up state road 88.

I'm definitely going to take a look at that - looks like a pretty fantastic route. A dirt road does not bother me a bit - and this trip is intended to be an adventure. Be driving my 4wd truck with 4 studded snows - so should be good.
rcair1

57AZ

Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:42 am

If you have time, go through PHX and see the Hall of Flame firefighting museum. Technically it's in Tempe, but it is well worth the time. It's the largest private collection of fire engines and fire service artifacts in the United States and is open daily to the public. They have over thirty engines on display at any one time-everything from a 1730s manually operated pumper to a 1970s American LaFrance pumper.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."