Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Max752
Topic Author

Trip Reports For Dummies

Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:08 pm

Hey Everyone!

Tomorrow (as mentioned in 15 other threads) is the day in which I will fly STL-DAL-SFO-LAX-JFK. I plan on doing a trip report for various sites including my site, airliners.net, and YouTube. I will especially be focusing on LAX-JFK in B6's Mint Class 2A Suite. There aren't many good trip reports in Mint so I want to make this the best possible review.

Full Itinerary:
Leg 1: STL-DAL on WN:2916 (might end up cancelling WN flight and just non-rev on AA to DFW and take the DART)
Leg 2: DAL-SFO on VX:715 (F; seated at window)
Leg 3: SFO-LAX VX:983 (F; Seated at Aisle)
Leg 4: LAX-JFK on B6:624 (M; Seated in 2A Suite)
Leg 5: NYP-PHI on Amtrak in First Class (Non-reserved seating)
Leg 6: PHL-STL on US:???? (F; Seated at Window)

I really just want to focus on legs 2 and 4 of this trip.

So, my questions are as follows;
-What makes a good trip report?
-What are the things people want to see?
-What do you want to see?
-What cameras do you fellow trip reporters use?
-What video/movie making software?
-How to make it seem professional?
-Any suggestions?
-Any examples you have for me?

Any future flights/trip reports you want to see in 2015???

Thanks everyone!
Super 80, pff, more like Stupid 80 | TravelUpdate.com & TheCollegePoints.com |

newbief1yer

RE: Trip Reports For Dummies

Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:46 pm

I am no expert (as my alias suggests), but i can give it a go..

Good trip report for me is more of pictures and some interesting titbits. Some different routes on some 5th freedom airlines, for instance, would also make it interesting.

Something unique, some anecdotes.

Camera i use is mainly my Sony Xperia Z1 and Nikon D90 (kit lens 18-105 f35/5.6)

Use normal windows movie maker for video editing and photobucket for photo uploading.

RyanairGuru

Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:55 pm

There is no formula, and a good trip report is one which is personal and "from the heart".

Always aim for more pictures than words, and question how important every point is (e.g. Is it really neccessary to show a picture of the drink served during the third beverage service?)
Worked Hard, Flew Right

lpdal

Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:06 pm

Quoting Max752 (Thread starter):
-What are the things people want to see?

You're never going to appeal to everyone, so attempt only to appeal to the majority. There will always be a few naysayers who will pick apart your reports every time after awhile. Nothing you do will ever impress these few, who are likely jealous and/or trolling, so don't even try. Just focus on the actual helpful criticism and positive replies.

-What do you want to see?

See above.

-What cameras do you fellow trip reporters use?

I use a Nikon P500 Point and shoot, Nikon DSLR D5200 (now replaced, thank heavens), and iPhone.

-What video/movie making software?

Sony Vegas.

-How to make it seem professional?

I personally prefer to chop up my reports into sections.

1) Cover, class of service pictures, map of routing, and flag counter.

2) Foreword (introduction)

3) Each flight and city visited has it's own post.

4) Closing remarks and previous report list.

-Any suggestions?

Don't respond to naysayers and keep posting reports, that drives them absolutely insane.

Don't let people tell you how to write your reports. This does not mean ignore helpful criticism, it means not attempting to change your entire persona to appeal to everyone who reads your reports.

Don't respond to flamebait, personal attacks, or insults on your reports. Block, report, whatever, and keep posting reports.

Don't attempt to appeal to the same few guys who "call out" your reports every time--you'll never impress or change their opinion, so block, report, whatever, and keep posting reports.

Do post your reports--a lot of people enjoy perusing the trip reports forum when they're bored or simply want to enjoy the aviation forums.

Do take as many daytrips as possible when you're not under many obligations, such as at our age.

-Any examples you have for me?

As for not appealing to everyone; AA Flagship Suites First Class 777-200 MIA✈LAX✈MIA (by LPDAL Sep 25 2014 in Trip Reports) even when you're not in the majority.

For my general examples,

United GlobalFirst Suites FLL✈MCO✈IAH✈IAD✈EWR✈FLL (by LPDAL Nov 27 2014 in Trip Reports)
Delta First Class+BusinesElite FLL✈ATL✈SRQ✈ATL✈FLL (by LPDAL Oct 25 2014 in Trip Reports)
US Airways First Class, AA First Class MIA✈TPA✈MIA (by LPDAL Dec 4 2014 in Trip Reports)

Any future flights/trip reports you want to see in 2015???

Me, personally, I'd love to see a report on Icelandair Saga Class and Air Greenland Business Class--I'm working on obtaining Saga Class tickets through OneWorld at the moment.  

-LPDAL   
TWU represented. All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

e38

Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:31 am

Max, here are a few suggestions concerning trip reports--most of the recommendations are fairly "common sense."

First, a couple of key words to guide your trip reports--MODERATION and BALANCE.

Photos - Obviously, photos are great and certainly enhance trip reports, but don't overdo them. It's always nice if you get a few shots of the actual aircraft you will fly on but posting 25 photos of the same aircraft from the Airliners.net photo database is way too much. If you cannot get a shot of the aircraft from the gate or airport observation area, a photo or two from the A.Net database is OK. Also, photos around the airport can be interesting as well; particularly something unique such as the check-in areas/ticket counters of international or unusual airlines. Some A.Netters post photos of the departure screen showing the various destinations served from that airport. That can be interesting, if the photo is of good resolution.

Keep in mind who your audience is. Most everyone who will read your report is an aviation enthusiast or in many cases, airline or aviation professionals. While a photo or two of your seat, the cabin (decor) of the aircraft, or even the meal that is served can be interesting, we have all seen the inside of a jetway, a glass tumbler filled with soda, and the curtain between first class and coach and these serve little or no purpose. Also, a shot or two out the window, particularly of interesting terrain or a spectacular sunrise, sunset, or cloud formation enhances a trip report, but again, 25 pictures taken from seat 2A looking back toward the wing and engine nacelle contribute little to a well balanced report and only make the report unnecessarily long.

Content - Details are very helpful, but again, don't overdo them. Most of us like to know the registration number of the aircraft and perhaps a few details such as manufacture date or previous owner, but a detail such as what time boarding stated for the First Class cabin is probably unnecessary. Also, make sure your facts are correct. If there is something you don't know and just make it up (such as which runway you landed or took off on) there is enough expertise on this forum to detect that and you and your report will lose credibility very quickly.

Avoid name calling and assigning "labels" to people. Be respectful of others and don't post photos of other people without their permission.

Be careful of the length. If it takes you more than about 10 minutes to read through the entire report, it is probably getting to be too long.

Max, keep in mind that this is a "trip" report. It is a report about a trip. It is not a report about YOU. Therefore, we do not need to know how much you paid for your ticket or how you paid for it, how many frequent flyer points you have, what your credit score is, etc.

It looks like many of your journeys will be in First Class and that's great. However, be sensitive to the fact that many people who will read your report may never have the financial means to travel First Class and you can come across as pretentious, arrogant, self-absorbed, and condescending very easily if you're not careful. It's OK to describe the first class experience--we enjoy hearing about different classes of travel--but be careful of the way you present it. Making comments such as "I never travel coach class," or "if I took that flight I would have to sit in the horrible Y cabin," are probably uncalled for. You can get to the point where it seems as though you are trying to "rub people's noses in it." (I think that is the correct expression!). This can be as subtle as a single letter. If someone on A.Net were to ask the question, "Where are you flying in 2015?" the considerate answer might be "I'm flying to PHX on AA," not "I'm flying to PHX on AA in F." Do you see the subtle difference?

Max, just write with a certain sense of humility, humbleness, sensitivity, and consideration for others and I think your reports will be just fine.

Finally, get someone to help you proofread the trip report before you post it. No, not one of your friends who is also your age, but an adult such as your Mom or Dad or perhaps a teacher at school such as an English or Journalism teacher. They may even give you "extra credit" for writing a report.

And, at the end of your report if you state, "I would appreciate any comments about my report," keep in mind that not everyone is going to love your report and may offer "constructive criticism." If that happens, be gracious, thank them for taking the time to post a comment, decide whether or not you wish to incorporate their suggestion into your next report, and move on. It's not necessary to be rude or disrespectful to someone just because they didn't like your trip report. If you are going to write, you have to be willing to accept the criticism along with the praise. That's life.

I hope you write trip reports for the correct reason: because of your love of aviation and your excitement and enthusiasm about flying and traveling to interesting places, meeting different people, and having interesting experiences.

If you have any questions, you are welcome to send me a private message (PM).

e38

[Edited 2015-01-07 20:14:17]

Shuttle12T

Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:56 pm

I feel that the most important thing with a trip report ties that you enjoy making it, after all your spending your hard earned money to book the flights and hotels etc that will feature in your report, therefore don't let anyone out you down, do what you feel comfortable doing and that will show through in your report, personally I use just my IPhone for taking pictures, whilst I have a more advanced camera for photography I don't feel comfortable sitting or walking everywhere with it all the time, but with the IPhone, you get a reasonably good camera that fits in your pocket, you might feel comfortable with a DSLR and as far as I'm concerned it all comes down to personal preference.
I'm fairly new to the TR game but as a base level I like to make sure I get all the important facts in, Flt number, type and registration etc, and then also make sure your spelling is correct, A.net has a built in spell checker, so make use of it, I would say that this will go along way to making your report look as you put it "professional"
One more thing, personally I like to make a cover photo for the start of the trip, you don't need photoshop, I use keynote on my iPad, screenshot it then crop out the rest, I feel it looks better than jumping straight into the report.
Don't miss a trip report: https://voyagereport.wordpress.com

EL-AL

Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:58 pm

Hey Max,

First, I am glad you decided to start write a report, I am always glad to read new reports.

I have a rule which I call the 100 photos rule – if a report is longer than 100 photos, I break it. Recently I had a 3 weeks trip to north America, which included 11 flights, of course I didn't make it all in one report but I broke it to 5 parts.

As to writing it – I usually make one paragraph about the background of the flight (destination and airline choose, booking and seat), another one about flying day – getting to the airport, check in and security, then describing the flight.

Some mandatory photos which I take are the airport FIDS, plane, legroom, cabin, inflight meal and window view. You can add as much as you wish, of course.

For me at least, a trip report is first and foremost a way to remember my flight, a link I can always view of my flight and my trip in general (that is why I always add pics of the destination), so make the report also for you.

Have a nice trip!
every day is a good day to fly

readytotaxi

Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:44 pm

Hi Max, have a good time when you go.

Tip, steal the flight menus and when you get home scan them into your computer and use the jpegs in your report, much better and clearer than a photo taken in the seat.  
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

lpdal

Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:48 pm

Quoting e38 (Reply 4):
Max, keep in mind that this is a "trip" report. It is a report about a trip. It is not a report about YOU. Therefore, we do not need to know how much you paid for your ticket or how you paid for it, how many frequent flyer points you have, what your credit score is, etc.

First of all, quit using "we" so much and replace it with "I". Unless the people who are "agreeing" with you are actually posting here, the correct term would be "I". No one speaks for the people here.

Next, I disagree to a high degree with this standpoint. Including personal details (while not being too personal), experiences, and reflection is what gives my reports their character. If I'm traveling to CVG to see a special someone, I'm not going to just write about the MD-88 I flew FLL-CVG and the peanuts in the snack basket. That is just robotic in my opinion, and doesn't engage the reader. If you want to read a robotic description of a typical legacy domestic first class flight, you can go to the airline's website.

I also disagree with including your dollar amount of your fares, miles paid, or your credit score. On Flyertalk, that is the whole deal. Honestly, if you are so devastated by someone including the fact that they spent $2,500 on a ticket, or 25,000 miles, or their credit score is 800, I don't see what doesn't bother you. Those are all pretty innocuous statements and writing paragraphs on how "pretentious" it is as to what you spent to get into that seat serves no purpose other to incite drama, stir the pot, and bring a gang mentality against someone,

Quoting e38 (Reply 4):
"I'm flying to PHX on AA," not "I'm flying to PHX on AA in F." Do you see the subtle difference?

Nope. Causing drama over someone flying first class to PHX is nonsensical. Another innocuous statement, that really doesn't need to be mulled over. How anyone can cause drama over someone saying they fly first class every time, I would think that atleast I would have more pressing matters than to go to the nth degree to prove to someone that they're pretentious (you don't know that). Such as work, tidying the house, family....

Quoting e38 (Reply 4):
Be careful of the length. If it takes you more than about 10 minutes to read through the entire report, it is probably getting to be too long.

Or the reader's attention span is too short. If I went on 4-5-6 flights in a single day, there's no way I'm going to be writing any sort of 1-post report.

The bottom line is that we (I mean I) trip reporters write because we love to report, not because we want to shovel our flying habits in your nose. To this end, if something bothers you that bad....You can X out of the page. You really don't need to write paragraphs and paragraphs on someone's personal character, question their life decisions, or flame them for what you, as the reader, perceive as 'unfit' content. If you don't like it, X out. No one is shackling you to their reports.

-LPDAL
TWU represented. All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

tan1mill

Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:14 am

Which photo hosting sites work best for storing photos used in a trip report? Anyone have any they use over others?
Love many, Trust few, Always paddle your own canoe.

VapourTrails

Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:03 am

This is a good topic, and I have (also) found this really informative, from all replies, and comments, from a reader and commentary point of view for trip reports, as well as a writer. Thank you.   I am trying to compile my first trip report and if it wasn't so difficult I would have it done by now. There is no way of saving the trip report on A.net and going back to it, so I am giving up using the iPad and using the laptop to try and get the photos embedded in the page and to look right, with the right space between them, and finish the narrative, about half done.  

I know how it needs to be done, but it is just so fiddly! HTML I know about, but it is really starting to ..    particularly when I check it and go back to edit.

Quoting TAN1MILL (Reply 9):

I have used picasa, it seems fine and will work for my needs, I recommend it.

ElanusNotatus

Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:44 am

Quoting VapourTrails (Reply 10):
There is no way of saving the trip report on A.net and going back to it

In the new topic dialogue box there is a link marked "Save Draft". Does this not let you save it to work on later? You would need to be logged in to use this feature.

If I am not mistaken, you can "Preview" what the report will look like and, if you notice any problems (layout, spelling, forgetting some vital detail) you can click the "Edit Message" function to then make adjustments.

Once you are satisfied you can then "post" the report.

At least, that's the way I think it is supposed to work.
Crawl, walk, fly into the future

VapourTrails

Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:55 am

Quoting ElanusNotatus (Reply 11):
In the new topic dialogue box there is a link marked "Save Draft". Does this not let you save it to work on later? You would need to be logged in to use this feature.

If I am not mistaken, you can "Preview" what the report will look like and, if you notice any problems (layout, spelling, forgetting some vital detail) you can click the "Edit Message" function to then make adjustments.

Hi, no it doesn't allow you to save draft, or autosave, like in the replies here do..  

After preview, and then edit, the HTML code increases and gets very crowded, and it is hard to keep working with. At least that is my experience.

Not meaning to sound dramatic, I am not sure at this time anyway, if it is worth any more of my effort, I think I will just read / comment on others' trip reports then.   

[Edited 2015-01-24 01:21:43]

[Edited 2015-01-24 01:22:21]

[Edited 2015-01-24 01:23:08]

readytotaxi

Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:49 pm

Quoting TAN1MILL (Reply 9):
Which photo hosting sites work best for storing photos used in a trip report? Anyone have any they use over others?

I use photobucket.com, you can link video and pictures and it is quite simple to use.  

PlaneHunter

Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:36 pm

Quoting e38 (Reply 4):

10 minutes is not very much when you read carefully.

Quoting e38 (Reply 4):

So where do you draw the line? Everyone's free to post as many personal details as he/she wants to. Shouldn't I mention how many new registrations I logged or that I got extra miles for whatever? That may certainly be interesting for certain readers.

And as already mentioned before, why do you use the term "we" instead of "I"? You sound like the trip reporters' spokesman.

Quoting e38 (Reply 4):

It looks like many of your journeys will be in First Class and that's great. However, be sensitive to the fact that many people who will read your report may never have the financial means to travel First Class and you can come across as pretentious, arrogant, self-absorbed, and condescending very easily if you're not careful. It's OK to describe the first class experience--we enjoy hearing about different classes of travel--but be careful of the way you present it. Making comments such as "I never travel coach class," or "if I took that flight I would have to sit in the horrible Y cabin," are probably uncalled for. You can get to the point where it seems as though you are trying to "rub people's noses in it." (I think that is the correct expression!). This can be as subtle as a single letter. If someone on A.Net were to ask the question, "Where are you flying in 2015?" the considerate answer might be "I'm flying to PHX on AA," not "I'm flying to PHX on AA in F." Do you see the subtle difference?

Why shouldn't people talk about their personal preferences? Once again - where do you draw the line? Shouldn't people express their dislike for certain airlines, products, services? I don't understand why certain people seem to feel personally attacked just because someone else talks about flying First Class and how much he/she loves it.

PH
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

Tigerguy

Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:13 pm

Quoting VapourTrails (Reply 12):
After preview, and then edit, the HTML code increases and gets very crowded, and it is hard to keep working with. At least that is my experience.

Not meaning to sound dramatic, I am not sure at this time anyway, if it is worth any more of my effort, I think I will just read / comment on others' trip reports then.

I type all of my reports on Microsoft Word before posting the final version to the website. Makes things loads easier in terms of editing and adjusting. Definitely makes it easier when working with the HTML code, too. If, during the preview, I find anything out of place, I can go back to the Word document and quickly go to where I need to make the correction, then the whole shebang goes in. One thing to be mindful of is the website cutting off some of the report due to length. I figured that out the hard way in the early days, so now I have an idea of where to split it into separate posts.

So I say go for it! I won't say that it isn't tedious at times, but I consider it a labor of love.   

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 14):
10 minutes is not very much when you read carefully.

Agree. I know I've been in threads in Civ Av for far more than 10 minutes, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Good night, and keep watching the skis. Uh, skies.

readytotaxi

Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:00 pm

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 3):
Me, personally, I'd love to see a report on Icelandair Saga Class

There is one on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-jS0H8W2ms

Not up to A.net standard but gives an idea,meal service seems to be "all at once" kind of thing.  

VapourTrails

Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:16 pm

Quoting Tigerguy (Reply 15):
So I say go for it! I won't say that it isn't tedious at times, but I consider it a labor of love.

Hi, yes, I know what you mean! I think, on reflection, that I could do it, but I will have to add the videos (the links) and just a few photos (embedded still not links), all together at the end, rather than among the text - that should relive me of trying to work    with this posting topic box. Given that my photography equipment is not over the top professional anyway, I will pick out the ones I think are most relevant and can't leave out.

Thanks   =

How apt this thread title is to me LOL   

Back in the day, here on A.net it was pretty much text only when people did reports here, but I think that the other aspects do enhance it of course. I agree about the length, and breaking a trip report up into parts, great idea there.

[Edited 2015-01-24 13:26:57]

tan1mill

Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:40 am

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 16):
I used to take people calling me "pretentious" seriously, until I discovered these were the same guys talking about flying Spirit, Southwest, arguing where someone was going to fly to from MDW etc. Etc. The fact that similar reporters who always fly in...oh my, FIRST CLASS (sorrynotsorry) never seem to have any problem with my reports tells me enough about how much I should value those other guys' opinions.

Those types of people will call you pretentious simply out of jealousy. I've never flown first class, but love to read reports from those who have. I don't understand why some people feel they are being attacked simply because another person is sharing their experience sitting up front. Please continue posting your trip reports as I've enjoyed reading them. My favorites have been your adventures on Silver's Saab 340's.
Love many, Trust few, Always paddle your own canoe.

OMP777X

Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:08 pm

I think that if you strike your own personal balance between giving a precise and detailed firsthand account of your trip, while also keeping it somewhat concise, then your reports will undoubtedly be well received. I find that e38 raises many good points above in terms of appealing to the readers sensibilities, but that LPDAL has made a couple of good ones as well (such as be yourself, and don't let others get you down). Find a happy medium between those suggestions that you can call your own, and I will be certainly looking forward to reading it!

The one bit that I would reaffirm the most, which is alluded to elsewhere on this topic, would be to think of your reader as you write and present the report. Although you will clearly write it initially for yourself and your own personal reasons, the purpose of you posting it in this forum is for others to read and discuss. If this was merely a practice of you writing a travel report for yourself and family so as to help preserve personal memories, and you weren't intending to publicly share it, then you could include all types uninteresting and repetitive photos, or make condescending statements that could potentially bother other people, and it would make no difference whatsoever. As a final caveat, do not ever include your real legal name in photos or in your writing, don't include photos of yourself (IMO it's unnecessary and could be potentially harmful to you) or others who haven't authorized you to, and definitely never include personal information that you wouldn't want everyone on the web to know about you (like where you live, sensitive info relating to your personal life, or that of your family members, etc). Lastly, I wouldn't ever include any critical details of any of your upcoming travel plans (e.g. where/when exactly you plan on being at a certain gate at a particular airport, what flight you plan on taking a month from now on a certain date, itinerary codes, etc). It is bad practice of web safety protocol, and could lead to identity theft, or a threat to your personal safety.

Hopefully if you keep some or possibly all of the above suggestions from myself and others in mind, you will find that you'll succeed with great ease, especially if you decide to accept positive suggestions and constructive criticism from others for your own future reference. Best of luck to you, and "Happy Flighting"!
"Happy Flighting!"

PlaneHunter

Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:44 am

Max, one more thing which hasn't been mentioned yet - if you post reports regularly and expect people to comment, I suggest to have a look at others' reports, too, and leave comments there if you find it's worth it. Take part in discussions whenever possible. Remember it's a forum, not a blog.

Unfortunately, there are many trip reporters in these days who only post their own reports and totally ignore the work of others for whatever reason - some people don't even reply to the replies they get. That's a very ignorant behavior - if every user ignored everything else, the forum would be dead soon.

PH
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

VapourTrails

Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:32 am

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 20):
Max, one more thing which hasn't been mentioned yet - if you post reports regularly and expect people to comment, I suggest to have a look at others' reports, too, and leave comments there if you find it's worth it. Take part in discussions whenever possible.

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 20):
Remember it's a forum, not a blog.

So true! I am still waiting (not) for an answer to a question from a reply I did LOL!  Wow!   

To those that reply, it is great! Even though it does bump their threads back to the top when they reply, and ask further questions, of the questions - it is so good to have the discussion and it acknowledges the forum for what it is, a forum, not a blog! It also makes me want to go back and read their future trip reports and makes the report and the writing more interesting.  

einsteinboricua

Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:54 pm

I would agree 100% with e38 on his comments. What is your story? Be yourself. Give us your insight on what you find attractive.

You took a flight on N123YZ? A couple of pictures from the database will do if you don't have one. No picture on the database of that registration? A company sister aircraft can sub unless it's a special livery.

A picture is worth a thousand words, but too many words is over the limit. Think how you'd like to read a trip report: would like to scroll down dozens of photos before you find the next piece of text? Pictures are to complement what you've written. You talked about the first class seat: one or two pictures of the seat are good. The seat reclines? a couple more in reclined position. You were served coke: glass or plastic cup? If you reordered coke throughout the flight, odds are it's the same color and the same cup so one picture is enough. Served food? The pictures of courses would be terrific. Have an outstanding IFE system? What did you use/watch/play?

Hint: when taking pictures of the outside, the wing, winglet, and engine will remain constant no matter what. Try to find a reason for taking a picture of the outside: take off, approach, landing, maybe one or two of cruise, it's dawn/twilight, sunrise/sunset, mesocyclone/cumulonimbus clouds, airfield/city below.

You flew first class? Convince us to spend the money/miles on a ticket (or to avoid it altogether). What sets it apart from the other products? How does it compare to other products you've flown?

You flew coach? How were the flight attendants treating you? Were they friendly? Aloof?

You used a lounge? Compare it with another airline lounge you've used. How is it different? How are they alike? Which one is superior and why? If it's your first time, what was your impression?

Long layover? What exotic birds land at that airport? What's a good thing to do around?

Compare airlines. Or even airlines and trains. Which mode of travel do you think is best for shuttle service between two close airports (DC-NY, NY-Boston, etc.)

Most importantly, this is key:

Quoting e38 (Reply 4):
And, at the end of your report if you state, "I would appreciate any comments about my report," keep in mind that not everyone is going to love your report and may offer "constructive criticism." If that happens, be gracious, thank them for taking the time to post a comment, decide whether or not you wish to incorporate their suggestion into your next report, and move on. It's not necessary to be rude or disrespectful to someone just because they didn't like your trip report. If you are going to write, you have to be willing to accept the criticism along with the praise.

Like e38 said, once you post a report, you have to be open to both praise and criticism. Don't write to be called the next Paulo Coelho; write because you want to share your experience. You won't please everyone and that's OK; you're not writing to please, but it's up to you to decide whether to accept constructive criticism (especially if you asked for comments) or to not accept it. You may agree with it; you may not agree with it. What you should never do is shoot it down. Remember: you asked for comments. Respectfully agree to disagree and move on (or pay no attention).

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 8):
Unless the people who are "agreeing" with you are actually posting here, the correct term would be "I". No one speaks for the people here.
Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 14):
why do you use the term "we" instead of "I"?

I agree with e38...so effectively it becomes "we".
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

lpdal

Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:24 pm

You'll only know how it really is to write a report like I do when you actually do it yourself.

Sorrynotsorry if that sounds harsh, but the best advice I've received is from other actually recent reporters. Backseat reporters tend to give advice that errs on the side of "remove all personal experiences", "remove all personal info", "remove all dollar amounts", and other absurd suggestions to which I say that coach class sucks, I spent $52,000 on airfare last year, and flew 63 legs in first/business class. I don't regret any of those trips, and frankly, I don't care if you think I sounded "pretentious". My trip reports are my canvas and if you think my painting is too detailed, too pretentious, too personal, too anything, you can click the red X in the top corner and immediately "escape". Nobody is "forcing you to be around me".

My personal suggestion to Max is to NEVER ask or suggest a desire for comments. You give people an inch, and they take a mile. Comments on the report quickly denigrate into vapid remarks about your personal character, and other unrelated nonsense. That's why I don't ask for comments anymore, if the report is good enough, people will just naturally comment anyway. And, if you ignore the naysayers enough, or don't agree with them, they eventually stop commenting. Works great for me.

You don't have to read my reports, and all comments containing the word "pretentious" will be ignored and suggest-deleted as has been done before. Not having another flamewar break out on my trip report, causing it to be locked.

That's all.

EDIT: Remember, if someone doesn't ask for advice, they probably aren't looking for any.

-LPDAL

[Edited 2015-01-27 07:59:51]

OMP777X

Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:19 am

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 23):
I spent $52,000 on airfare last year, and flew 63 legs

Wow! Damn, here I thought I was a big spender and well seasoned traveler back when I was in high school, and I spent ten times less on airfare and flew only about a fifth as much as you do per year back then. I applaud your enthusiasm and love for commercial aviation, as well as first class. More power to you!
"Happy Flighting!"

OMP777X

Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:49 am

Max752,

I've just finished reading your reports, and to be honest, I can't even believe that you were feeling the need to ask this question. Your reports are incredible! It seems you don't actually need to do a "For Dummies" on the matter in order to get them right. Job well done, my friend! Keep 'em coming!

Best,

OMP777X
"Happy Flighting!"

VapourTrails

Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:29 am

I have a question... how and when do you start to compile the details for the trip report? Do you write things down at the time, or say, type them in Evernote (an e-notepad) as you go, or as soon as you can? Do you just remember all the details you want to write about? I found it was really busy when I was doing mine. Do people keep notepads and pens to jot things down during the flight? Which way is best, pros and cons?

=

Ytraveller

Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:38 am

Quoting VapourTrails (Reply 26):
I have a question... how and when do you start to compile the details for the trip report? Do you write things down at the time, or say, type them in Evernote (an e-notepad) as you go, or as soon as you can? Do you just remember all the details you want to write about? I found it was really busy when I was doing mine. Do people keep notepads and pens to jot things down during the flight? Which way is best, pros and cons?

Until my last trip, I would just try to remember everything. But I found it much better if you jot down some notes (just a few, what stood out to you - I took them on my phone). It helped me get some more details into my TRs.

Plus it kind of made me feel like a professional critic or detective!  

- Ytraveller

airpearl

Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:58 am

Quoting VapourTrails (Reply 26):
Do you write things down at the time, or say, type them in Evernote (an e-notepad) as you go, or as soon as you can? Do you just remember all the details you want to write about? I found it was really busy when I was doing mine. Do people keep notepads and pens to jot things down during the flight? Which way is best, pros and cons?

I think you should always try to document the trip, at least in point form either electronically or with pen and paper, as you experience it on board. It would definitely help when you're writing it up, especially for the details, which are important in a good trip report and very easy to forget. There was only one occasion when I wrote and essentially completed the trip report during the flight, but that was a rather special inaugural flight that required it, but I wouldn't recommend it.

ben123planes

Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:31 pm

Interesting thread,

Compared to most reporters, I'm quite unorthodox. A lot of reporters like to jot down their experiences, registrations, notes and anything worthy of mention on a notepad during the flight. They also like to give very fact laden reports which I enjoy reading but to be brutally honest, I can't be bothered to write myself.

My reports are written entirely from memory; if there is a reg in a picture I took, I now know the reg of the aircraft I flew on. Also - if you've read my reports - I give them a bit of poetic license but I never lie. Lying about your experience can just lead to holes that will eventually be found out.

You can write the report in different ways, you can write it in the aforementioned fact ridden splurge which is a popular choice, you can write it casually, or you can write it as a kind of story which I like to do, because I feel it's both easier to write and read.

Finally; pictures! Include as many pictures as possible (not to repetitive though, or people get bored) if you don't have any pictures, it becomes very hard to get involved with the report because one huge lump of text becomes a bit daunting and heavy to write, try and break it up with pictures - it works. Honest!

Ben

VapourTrails

Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:42 am

Quoting Ytraveller (Reply 27):

Until my last trip, I would just try to remember everything. But I found it much better if you jot down some notes (just a few, what stood out to you - I took them on my phone). It helped me get some more details into my TRs.

Plus it kind of made me feel like a professional critic or detective!  

- Ytraveller

I am sure people might think, gosh, that person (as trip report compiler) looks really busy, like they are flying for business, not pleasure!

Quoting airpearl (Reply 28):

I think you should always try to document the trip, at least in point form either electronically or with pen and paper, as you experience it on board. It would definitely help when you're writing it up, especially for the details, which are important in a good trip report and very easy to forget. There was only one occasion when I wrote and essentially completed the trip report during the flight, but that was a rather special inaugural flight that required it, but I wouldn't recommend it.

I agree too with the detail aspect. I look back on my draft aka the Work In Progress, and I think, I wouldn't have remembered all of that, unless I got the trip report all compiled and up within 48 hours of the flight say. Like anything, by the time I've done a dozen of these the whole process, though experiment and trial and error, will be streamlined I am sure!

Quoting ben123planes (Reply 29):

Compared to most reporters, I'm quite unorthodox. A lot of reporters like to jot down their experiences, registrations, notes and anything worthy of mention on a notepad during the flight. They also like to give very fact laden reports which I enjoy reading but to be brutally honest, I can't be bothered to write myself.

My reports are written entirely from memory; if there is a reg in a picture I took, I now know the reg of the aircraft I flew on. Also - if you've read my reports - I give them a bit of poetic license but I never lie. Lying about your experience can just lead to holes that will eventually be found out.

You can write the report in different ways, you can write it in the aforementioned fact ridden splurge which is a popular choice, you can write it casually, or you can write it as a kind of story which I like to do, because I feel it's both easier to write and read.

Finally; pictures! Include as many pictures as possible (not to repetitive though, or people get bored) if you don't have any pictures, it becomes very hard to get involved with the report because one huge lump of text becomes a bit daunting and heavy to write, try and break it up with pictures - it works. Honest!

Ben

Thank so much for these replies.

The advice here is really helpful, to me, and I am very sure, to others too.  

Now I am flying tomorrow, no trip report planned, but I feel I need Evernote or a pen and paper at the ready just in case I feel the urge to jot!

nkops

Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:58 am

I like pictures from the towns people visit, not just the flights... I have seen some great pictures of towns on Anet that I will never see in person
Turn left heading 080 contact departure

Airstud

Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:40 am

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 3):
You're never going to appeal to everyone

You can fool some of the people all of the time...

...and those are the ones you should focus on.
Pancakes are delicious.