Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MH017
Topic Author

Beaver, Otter Or Norseman Out Of Vancouver

Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:34 pm

Would like to make a sea-plane flight, either out of Vancouver Downtown Seaplane-base or Vancouver Airport (South Terminal) to anywhere a Norseman, DHC-2 Beaver or DHC-3 Otter operates. NOT interested in the Turboprop variants, just the (original) piston engined ones...any suggestion as to airlines, routes please ?
don't throw away tomorrow !

YVRLTN

RE: Beaver, Otter Or Norseman Out Of Vancouver

Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:56 am

Zero Norseman's here.

Also zero radial Otter's - they are all turbines.

So that leaves Beaver's.

Saltspring Air exclusively operate the Beaver from both YVR & CXH to various Gulf Islands, primarily Saltspring Island funnily enough!!

Seair Seaplanes & Harbour Air operate from both too. Stay away from Victoria & Nanaimo as you will more than likely get bigger planes (Turbine Otter or Twin Otter), more luck getting a Beaver to one of the Gulf Islands. You can also get specific sightseeing flights just around Vancouver area. I did the mail run tour offered by Harbour Air, outbound I got a West Coast Air Beaver (100% owned by HA) but on the way back I got an Otter.

Seair also operate Turbo Beavers and Caravans, so have to look out for that too, again I would say they would primarily be on the Nanaimo run.

In summer in particular Van City Seaplanes and Gulf Island Seaplanes are new operators with the Beaver. The former you have to look out for a Cessna 182. Unfortunately their Beech 18 no longer flies.

Whistler Air (now 100% owned by HA too) also have a Beaver. Tofino Air have them too, but they no longer serve Vancouver market.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

aerorobnz

Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:02 am

I got a SeAir Beaver from Richmond to Nanaimo. first flight of the day (had to wait for sunrise) and It was basically a private flight for my friend and me. I had the copilot seat (with headset)
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

FlySSC

Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:48 pm

Out of Seattle, I did a great scenic tour on board a Beaver with KENMORE AIR and it was great.
If you are working for an airline, they charge of almost nothing for the flight, just present your airline I.D. The staff is very friendly and helpfull...
They fly to/from Seattle to/from Nanaimo also.

Whiteguy

Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:03 pm

Quoting MH017 (Thread starter):

Would like to make a sea-plane flight, either out of Vancouver Downtown Seaplane-base or Vancouver Airport (South Terminal) to anywhere a Norseman, DHC-2 Beaver or DHC-3 Otter operates. NOT interested in the Turboprop variants, just the (original) piston engined ones...any suggestion as to airlines, routes please ?

If you want a Norseman, best bet would be Red Lake in Northwestern Ontario.

longhauler

Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:36 pm

Try to find out where these beauties are flying ...

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ian Beatty
View Large View Medium

Photo © Ian Beatty

View Large View Medium

Photo © Bernd Sturm

I have seen them at YVR, but I am not sure where they go.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

MEA-707

Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:19 pm

Red Lake and the small seaplane airfields between there and Winnipeg are the best bet to get rides on a Norseman, Otter (piston engined) and Beaver of course. Sometimes you can hitch a ride for free if the owner has to bring or take fishermen or equipment somewhere anyway and want to help out loading.
A friend and I drove by car in a week visiting some of these bases, he wrote an article with details on www.oldjets.net (I can't copy paste now so it seems)
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

YVRLTN

Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:27 pm

Quoting longhauler (Reply 5):
I have seen them at YVR, but I am not sure where they go.

They are very rare down here these days, they do the odd charter and the have done specific contracts over the years eg Toba Inlet, but today they are based in Port Hardy with the Beaver's and fly on the extensive network out of there. Only two flying AFAIK (they were grounded by TC but it got lifted for last summer).

Quoting MEA-707 (Reply 6):
Red Lake and the small seaplane airfields between there and Winnipeg are the best bet to get rides on a Norseman

Correct. Gogal also had one in Snow Lake MB - not sure of their status after the van crash.

Buffalo Joe also has one in Yellowknife, it is his personal plane, but in summer, you never know, may catch him in a good mood and if he has the time might not say no to earning a few extra notes...
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

MH017
Topic Author

Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:37 pm

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 1):
Saltspring Air exclusively operate the Beaver from both YVR & CXH to various Gulf Islands, primarily Saltspring Island funnily enough!!
In summer in particular Van City Seaplanes and Gulf Island Seaplanes are new operators with the Beaver. The former you have to look out for a Cessna 182.

Thanks for the info...will focus on these airlines for my planned flights.

TupolevTu154

Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:39 pm

I was in Vancouver in July 2013 and had the piston Beaver firmly in my sights. Knowing there was a risk of getting subbed with a turboprop I went into the floatplane terminal and just asked which flights were operated with the Beaver. Harbour Air couldn't guarantee anything so they sent me to Tofino Air. Though apparently...

Tofino Air have them too, but they no longer serve Vancouver market.

Which is a shame! But just ask around in the terminal. Everyone is very friendly and will happily help you out.

I managed to get a return to Nanaimo two hours after I inquired for cheaper than a sightseeing flight offered by the other companies! Had the FO seat both ways too. Great flights (and loud!).

Enjoy Vancouver, it's my favourite city in the world and I'm itching to go back.

MH017
Topic Author

Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:58 pm

Quoting TupolevTu154 (Reply 9):
I managed to get a return to Nanaimo two hours after I inquired for cheaper than a sightseeing flight offered by the other companies! Had the FO seat both ways too. Great flights (and loud!).

On Harbour Air, afterall ?