Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

IAHflyer97
Topic Author

Your First Aviation Memory

Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:26 am

Been missing good 'ol CO a bit tonight. Each time I see that beautiful globe, I miss CO more and more. It brought me back to some of my more fond memories of aviation.

This may very well be my first recollection of memory. Texas locals may know the location better, but I used to live right in the middle of I-45 and runway 8L at IAH. So we had very easy access to the airport. I remember my mother and I around the summer of 2001, went to Rankin Road (to those that don't know, Rankin Road is just outside the airport fence along the 15 runways) for several hours just watching planes take off. I think I recall KL taking off right in front of us. We did this all the time, but this was probably the first time that I actually remember.

What are your earliest aviation memories?
A man is only as big as the amount of strings on his guitar.

LTU932

RE: Your First Aviation Memory

Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:39 am

Quoting IAHflyer97 (Thread starter):
What are your earliest aviation memories?

Having flown to PTY in the late 80's. I'm still not sure if it was with LR or CM, 727 or 737. The first widebody experience I remember was on an LT L-1011 Tristar 500 MIA-HAM, though I'm not sure now if LT ever flew to MIA out of HAM (unless it was a charter flight or something seasonal).
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

KPWMSpotter

Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:03 pm

My first experience with commercial aviation was in the mid-90's, I was in elementary school and flying with my family from BOS to the west coast. Our inbound aircraft was delAAyed a couple hours due to storms, and everyone was getting to be fed up with waiting. When the plane finally pulled into the gate, my younger brother ran up to the window and took a photo of the waiting 757 with his new disposable camera (remember those?). When he got back to our seats, I remember asking him "Why would you waste your film taking a picture of a plane??"

...oh how things have changed...
I reject your reality and substitute my own...

UltimateDelta

Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:59 pm

I think the first thing I really remember is a trip my mom and I took sometime in the late '90s OMA-ORD-BTV on United...I don't remember a lot of the details, but I can vivdly picture those gray seats with the multicolored pattern on them and seeing a mix of Saul Bass and Battleship liveries in Chicago. The other thing I remember from what was probably that same year was crying when I found out our plane from ATL to SAV was only a 727 instead of the L-1011 parked at the next gate over.  
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

aerdingus

Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:09 pm

Seeing these things in the late 80s

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © David Unsworth - WorldAirImages

Me grandad pointed out that one (EI-BEL) was named Aoife, like me and thus the obsession with planes began   I used to go home and draw those cheatlines with crayons  
A306 A313 A319 A320 A321 A333 A346 A359 ATR42 ATR72 B734 B737 B738 B744 B772 B789 C152 MD80 RJ85 S340

Ytraveller

Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:34 pm

Early 2000s. Flying to India with some airline, maybe AI. On the descent into LHR I got sick and threw up all over my shirt. Then I remember entering the bathroom at LHR, which was covered in red-orange tiles...

- Ytraveller

spacecadet

Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:21 pm

My first ever aviation memory was rolling down the runway in a corporate jet my dad had taken me on. I remember watching the yellow line at the edge of the runway bounce around as we gained speed, then fall away as we took off.

I was probably about three years old at the time. This must have been in 1975 or 76 at the latest.

I actually don't know what my first commercial flight memory is; everything is kind of jumbled together after that. It was probably flying on a DC-8 when they still had the original 38" seat pitch in coach. I do remember the seats being lined up with the windows and not being able to touch the seat in front of me. But I don't know if that was my first commercial flight; it just seems likely given the time period that'd have to be.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

29erUSA187

Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:29 pm

My earliest memory (granted Im still a teenager) was looking out of the window enroute from LAX-OGG on some sort of UA wide body. We have an old film picture with 2-5-2 seating, but to this day we can't decide whether or not it was a 772A or a DC-10. I remember I was annoying my parents because I spent the whole time looking out the window for fish from 35,000 feet, and got sad when I couldn't find any 

lesfalls

Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:13 pm

My earliest aviation memory was when I was an infant (I am 14 so I havent had great adventures in aviation) when flying from JFK-NCE (I can't belive I still remember the route!) and i looked out the window and saw the sky and amazingly that is what has brought me to love aviation ( it is a pretty strange story   ).
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

longhauler

Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:44 am

Mine was on a TCA L1049G, ANU-BDA-YYZ.

Oddly enough, I remember the flight, and certain details ... but I never could remember on what actual flight it was, or the aircraft type. Just curtain colours, seat colours and the operation of the emergency exit. It wasn't until years later, when looking at a TCA safety card for the L1049, that I finally placed the the aircraft type, as I recongnized the handle to open the exit window under a plastic guard and the signs around it!
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

DesertAir

Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:02 am

My first aviation memory is from the early 1960s. My father would take me out to the Stockton Metro Airport to watch the United, DC 6 or 7? come into the airport from the San Joaquin Valley milk run. In those days there was only a little fense that separated the onlookers from the planes. When the plane would turn around to taxi a big blast of air would hit.

VapourTrails

Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:54 am

I am not sure what my first actual memory in detail was, just that I would have gone to the airport (DPO), to meet someone, family visiting and it would be akin to a sensory overload.    I think that aspect of memory stays with me.

In those days, it was all open, one wire fence. Not the busiest and most exciting place ever, but it didn't diminish the experience at all. Of course, on subsequent occasions, at least half the day leading up to it was quite exciting! Visiting MEL, my first major airport was doubly so.

Quoting DesertAir (Reply 10):
In those days there was only a little fense that separated the onlookers from the planes. When the plane would turn around to taxi a big blast of air would hit.

And there are still airports about like that, MYA is one that I have been to in recent times.   

Quoting Ytraveller (Reply 5):
On the descent into LHR I got sick and threw up all over my shirt. Then I remember entering the bathroom at LHR, which was covered in red-orange tiles...

That is not the best of memory to have..  

bunumuring

Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:02 am

I wish I could say flying Sydney to Melbourne and return in an Ansett-ANA Viscount southbound and an Electra northbound, my first flights, but I was 6 months old... However, lots and lots of photos (ummmm... Slides) exist! The FAs in particular enjoyed holding me mid-air!

However I do remember my first ever flight by myself as a child, a twelve year old flying Canberra to Sydney on an Ansett F27, with the ticket costing $6.60. I had the window seat in the first row next to a 'strange' old man who offered me a $50 note to switch seats with him... Naturally, I didn't.

I started spotting at Sydney airport when still at primary school. My dad would drive me and my best mate (still my best mate after over 30 years!) to the Ansett terminal and patiently wait for us as we took Kodak Hawkeye photos for a few hours and 'collected' all kind of memorabilia from bemused Ansett staff...

Cheers,
Bunumuring.
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

VapourTrails

Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:30 am

While I am reminiscing.. http://devonportairport.com.au

I've just been onto the new website for my local airport, and they have a jet aircraft bannered across the homepage! That is not correct, there have not been jet aircraft there for years, or is something happening I have not heard about!  Wow!

How misleading, I should mention it next time I am there..   

It was always a talking point that the parking was a flat rate of $1, for years.. Of course, with the last upgrade, it is now, well, still very reasonable!

tan1mill

Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:05 am

Ah, a trip down memory lane.

My family used to go on vacation every summer, almost always involving air travel. All I cared about was the flight there and the flight back. Everything in between was just to fill time. We always flew United, since my Dad flew them for business and accumulated lots of frequent flier miles. This paint job is my earliest recollection:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Michael F. McLaughlin

When United changed their colors, I felt betrayed. The only airline I had ever been on up to that point in my life had changed! Whenever we flew, I hoped I would be on planes with the "old" paint job and not the new:

View Large View Medium

Photo © C.L. Weldy

Yes, change was hard for a young lad like me. Long gone are the days of family vacations, and since then I'm proud to say I've been on many other airlines. Paint jobs come and go I learned, but such is the industry, and life in general for that matter.

[Edited 2015-01-26 01:10:15]
Love many, Trust few, Always paddle your own canoe.

hh65man

Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:42 am

My first memory goes all the way back to 1966 while growing up on USAF bases. I remember watching B-47s taking off and landing. The noise, the jet exhaust black as has never left me. Later it was B-52s, C-124s and way to many to list and remember. My first commercial experience was with PanAm, also around 1966. Cheers

tmu101

Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:36 am

I remember my first commercial airline flight (and first aviation memory) was a TWA 707 EWR-LAX to visit my aunt and uncle. I remember bits and pieces of the flight itself (I was 5 years old when I did that trip) esp. going into the cockpit for a visit before we took off and getting a set of wings from the captain. The return trip was a United 747 according to my folks - sadly I don't recall that portion of the trip at all.  

I remember exactly when I became hooked on aviation - august 1987 - my aunt, uncle, and cousins were moving from West Germany to Panama (my uncle worked for the government) for their new assignment. We met them at JFK as they flew Pan Am. They had a 5 hour layover prior to leaving for Florida then Panama, and we had a picnic on the World Port rooftop parking lot and all day long I watched jumbo jet after jumbo jet landing and taking off (mostly 747s) and a few Eastern Bloc airlines as well. Off in the distance on a remote stand was parked an Air France Concorde. I was hooked for life after that day! It was such a nice, fun day, no security issues whatsoever unlike today's aviation world. How times have changed!

My mom would also take me to the IKEA near EWR to watch planes when I was younger. Swedish meatballs and watching planes all afternoon - what a way to spend the afternoon.

Such great memories (and many more!).......  

YVRLTN

Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:56 am

I don't really know what my first real memory was as I grew up with my granddad taking me to Luton and Hatfield before that. I do distinctly remember the 125's taking off from there and a former BA Trident parked up on the grass. I also remember a high wing 4 engine prop job, my granddad told me it was a Dash 7 and it went to BAe (de Havilland) for maintenance and that plane was built by the Canadian division of DH. I don't remember the airline, but probably Brymon.

Trips to LTN were usually pretty boring back in the late 80's and early 90's, but I do remember the Manx Shorts 360's, particularly G-ISLE and Ryanair 1-11's long before my spotting logs started in 1995. I also remember my granddad telling me about this brand new plane called the A320. It was operated by Eurocypria. I don't remember not seeing Monarch & Britannia, but back then they were 732's and 733's as well as the 757 of course. The 757 was a long awesome plane compared to the Shorts 360. I remember Air 2000 had them too.

My first flying memory is pretty vague, it was in a TriStar with British Airtours and I was only 6 and of course going abroad for the first time was exciting in itself. I remember on the outbound flight (to Naples), the kind F/A's giving us coloring books and really funky bright colored wax crayons and seeing the tiny dots of moving cars below.

Coming back I don't remember the flight, but sitting around our hotel in Sorrento for hours as our flight was delayed because of the great storms of Oct 87. We had technically checked out so could not use the pool. I remember getting in trouble from the life guards for climbing on the diving boards fully clothed and knocking over a plant in the lobby horsing around. Upon arrival back in LGW, there was no power and the windshields of the BCP busses had been blown in so were not operating.

The first flight I really remember was a Monarch 757 STN - BGR - BGI, quite the routing, but I was definitely into aviation by then (Dec 1990) and I got the cockpit visit, a signed postcard of G-MONC from the pilot and the stop in Maine meant I got to see American trucks for the first time ever which was cool for a 9 year old who had only seem them in books, which was almost as exciting as the plane. STN was an absolute ghost town in those days and I still remember being glued to the terminal window for what seemed like hours looking for traffic and all I saw was a FedEx F27... today I clearly remember the feeling walking out into the hot humid Bajan air for the first time.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

ElanusNotatus

Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:59 am

I was too young to remember my first flight. It was probably just as well as two days previously the type of aircraft to be flown had an accident involving fatalities.

A BOAC Canadair C-4 Argonaut (G-ALHE) en route from Kano to Tripoli had crashed shortly after take off, killing 3 crew and 29 passengers. This wasn't the only incident involving the type and Tripoli. A month after I was born a BOAC Argonaut (G-ALHL) coming in from Rome crash landed at idris (Tripoli), killing 2 crew and 13 passengers. As we boarded our flight from Tripoli to London on the same type of aircraft, as a babe in arms I was blissfully unaware.

The first flight that I do remember was on a Bristol Brittania heading to Singapore. I recall that after a stop in Karachi, as we boarded the aircraft , I said to the ground crew "See you later." Sure enough we did, as after attempting to fire up the engines, the Captain asked us all to disembark as there appeared to be a "slight problem." We eventually arrived at Singapore's Paya Labar three days after leaving London.
Crawl, walk, fly into the future

flynhi808

Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:17 am

Thats a tough question... ever since I was about one, I flew quite a bit (first flight was when I was 6 weeks old). Im still only a teenager, but my first memorable experience of aviation was when I turned 10, and I was able to fly HA first class (thanks to my two pilot parents)... since then I have been very lucky to be on many more J class products, for domestic and international airlines.
fly-n-HI-808

OMP777X

Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:15 am

I can't remember my first aviation experience, since my family dragged me onto a couple of TATL's when I was very very young (less than a month old at first), but they were when I believe I caught the bug. My first memorable experiences involving airline travel were of flying the legacy carriers in Florida. The greatest memories though for me from a young age (high school) where when I was privileged enough to save my hard earned dollars at my part-time job to fly on over to IAH to visit my girlfriend at that time. Things have definitely changed quite a bit since then... my disposable income for those leisurely flights that I used to take on a monthly basis has dwindled quite a bit since then (thanks to bills and student loans). Still, I really believe that it was worth each and every dollar that I spent at that time to get on every flight that I took, and each subsequent experience that I enjoyed at that time was worthwhile to me at that age. I have no regrets, just memories of flying in on planes that no longer serve passenger flights here in the U.S., and visions of a girl who no longer meets me at the gates as I arrive now.
"Happy Flighting!"

Confuscius

Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:19 am

Back in the 60s, I was a little kid in a SE Asian country. I would look up in the sky and see contrails in groups of three. I didn't know back then what they were. Non-stop round trip flights from Guam.

[Edited 2015-01-26 23:22:18]
Ain't I a stinker?

N415XJ

Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:32 am

The first aviation memory that I can recall was waking up after a flight on Lufthansa from DAM-FRA. We had landed and everyone was getting up, but I was about 4 years old, very tired, and VERY cranky. My first 'good' memory is hard to pin down, but I believe that the earliest was of my mom trying to entertain me and my 2 smaller brothers aboard a flight from DTW to AMS a year or so later. What a trooper she is. 2 transaltantic round trips a year for 14 years with small kids (with one who wouldn't shut up about all the airplanes he was seeing) and 7 suitcases in tow. The fact that she refrained from strangling us all really tells one about her character!  

[Edited 2015-01-26 23:33:38]

OMP777X

Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:48 am

Quoting aerdingus (Reply 4):

Me grandad pointed out that one (EI-BEL) was named Aoife, like me and thus the obsession with planes began   I used to go home and draw those cheatlines with crayons  

Aoife, my first transatlantic flight, of which I have next to no memory of, was on EI from JFK to SNN (IIRC, I was less than a month old, so I'm not 100% sure). My parents were the ones who brought the screaming newborn baby onto the 747 (again, IIRC) for the seven hour ocean crossing so that I could meet the whole family and get baptised in Ennis before returning back stateside. I was too young to draw or color in the EI birds with crayons at that time, but I did manage to do so on several trips back and forth to Clare ever since.
"Happy Flighting!"

OMP777X

Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:06 pm

Quoting IAHflyer97 (Thread starter):

Been missing good 'ol CO a bit tonight. Each time I see that beautiful globe, I miss CO more and more. It brought me back to some of my more fond memories of aviation.

CO was the airline I used exclusively in high school to fly in and out of IAH each month to visit my ex-gf , and I must say I do miss it greatly too! They were always wonderful, and the service they provided compared to United (my previous favorite carrier) and other legacy carriers was always above and beyond the rest! I have the same exact feeling when I see the globe on the UA tails. Ahh, memories.
"Happy Flighting!"

CplKlinger

Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:08 am

The earliest thing I can remember is some of the shuttle launches of the 80's (not civil av, but got me hooked anyway), and I distinctly remember the Challenger accident. Other than that, first flight was in 98 or 99 (IND-STL-DAL-SAT on WN, 732 I think).

End of March, I'll get to share in my daughter's first flight to MCO with WN. That's going to be a fun trip, and I know she's going to flip. She's been a plane nut for a long time after I've taken her to the WPAFB Museum and CVG more times than either of us can count.

aerorobnz

Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:29 am

I was 4 years old, it was my first flight on Fokker F27-500 ZK-NFA. I remember sitting on the lap of my grandmother to look out the window and then handing out lollies. When we got to AKL there was a Canadian Airlines DC10 and an Air Caledonie Caravelle at international terminal and a Flying Tigers 741F.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

aerdingus

Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:08 pm

Quoting Omp777x (Reply 23):
Aoife, my first transatlantic flight, of which I have next to no memory of, was on EI from JFK to SNN (IIRC, I was less than a month old, so I'm not 100% sure). My parents were the ones who brought the screaming newborn baby onto the 747 (again, IIRC) for the seven hour ocean crossing so that I could meet the whole family and get baptised in Ennis before returning back stateside. I was too young to draw or color in the EI birds with crayons at that time, but I did manage to do so on several trips back and forth to Clare ever since.

Well, that's an interesting story! Weren't crayons great?!   Never made it on to an EI 747 meself...beaten by a baby! I do love Clare though & actually it's me middle name  
A306 A313 A319 A320 A321 A333 A346 A359 ATR42 ATR72 B734 B737 B738 B744 B772 B789 C152 MD80 RJ85 S340

OMP777X

Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:26 am

Quoting aerdingus (Reply 27):
Well, that's an interesting story! Weren't crayons great?!   Never made it on to an EI 747 meself...beaten by a baby! I do love Clare though & actually it's me middle name  

LOL! Crayons were fantastic, you could even eat them too when stuck in a jam. While my diapers and I may have made the trek in a 747, I have no memory of it to speak of. All I have are aunts and uncles who remind me that I had quite the colossal sized head for an infant back then! I hope to somehow catch a 747 back to Clare the next time I come back to visit my father. BA should hopefully take me in to SNN in a 744, right?
"Happy Flighting!"

aerdingus

Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:39 pm

Quoting Omp777x (Reply 28):
LOL! Crayons were fantastic, you could even eat them too when stuck in a jam.

Yes!

All I have are aunts and uncles who remind me that I had quite the colossal sized head for an infant back then!

Full of brains?!   

I hope to somehow catch a 747 back to Clare the next time I come back to visit my father. BA should hopefully take me in to SNN in a 744, right?

Hmmm not so sure about that one...only via LHR...otherwise I think SNN mostly sees 757s & 767s direct from the USA.

OMP777X

Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:49 am

Quoting aerdingus (Reply 29):
Hmmm not so sure about that one...only via LHR...otherwise I think SNN mostly sees 757s & 767s direct from the USA.

Now that I think of it, you're absolutely right. I think I will have to fly over to LHR to catch a 744. The biggest widebody I recall seeing coming straight from the US at SNN would've been my favorite, the L1011. I wonder if they do nonstop 744 service from ORD-DUB? I'll need to do some research over here. I fall victim to wishful thinking when I come onto this site after a couple of vodka sodas! Maybe they'll make an exception for me and arrange something special.  
Quoting aerdingus (Reply 29):
Full of brains?!

Of course!

Best,

OMP777X

[Edited 2015-01-29 22:16:40]
"Happy Flighting!"

garpd

Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:35 pm

My very first aviation memory:

Being about 18 months old, sitting on Mum’s lap and looking around a cabin and then looking out a small roundish window with a very bright light. I’m told that was when we flew to introduce me to the family.

My first more tangible memory:

I was 14. Sitting in the departure lounge in Glasgow, waiting for my very first “long haul” flight. GLA-BGR-MCO. June 10, 1994. This was a holiday package charter operated by a Monarch Airlines 757-200. (A friend at Monarch recently narrowed it down to either G-MOND or G-MONJ)
The first glimpse of the plane I got was of its tail, towering over the jet bridge. A pure white tail with the black crowned “M” logo on it.

I remember sitting in the window seat on the right hand side, more or lease in line with the leading edge. I watched as the wing bounced up and down as we taxied, passing an old plane I later learned was a fire training Trident.
I will never forget that first feeling of being pressed into the back of my seat. The buzz saw roar of those RB-211s.

Little wonder then, that the RB211 equipped 757 is my favourite aircraft to fly on!
arpdesign.wordpress.com

n729pa

Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:46 pm

Driving around LHR in the late 70s and see a beautiful Qantas 747-200B at close quarters round by the maintenance hangars. I've got a special attachment to Qantas ever since, which peaked in 2011 when I finally got to fly with them to MEL for a friends wedding. The minutes she announced it, I was only ever going to fly on Qantas after all those years. But as a kid spending endless hours watching the planes at LHR, was a great day out and a treat. I can still remember my first flight on a BMA DC9-14 G-BMAC in 1984, my first international flight in 1986 on Pan Am LHR-SFO N729PA. Now I'm lucky enough to work in an office at the end of the runway of LHR so can watch them coming and going all day. I miss some of the old planes and airlines, but I enjoy watching the A380s and mourn the passing of the 747s as they enter their Winter years in most cases and another 747 operator drops from the list. Whilst I travel a great deal now, I still get a buzz when I walk into any of the LHR terminals.

777Jet

Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:53 am

My first flight was from SYD-HNL-SFO (and return) on a QANTAS Boeing 747-200 back in 1984 - but I don't remember it because I was not even a one year old at the time LOL.

Back on topic...

My first aviation memory was when my family moved to Texas back in 1991 and we flew SYD-HNL-DFW-SAT on AA. I can remember some of the flight experience and the stopover in HNL. Moreover, my mother was recently going through some old storage boxes and she found an AA map with the HNL-DFW sector drawn on it as well as lots of other info as it was filled out by the Captain. It even included the reg # - AA DC-10-30, N144AA   When my mum called and asked me: "Son, I just found this AA chart with the flight details from when we moved to the US. Do you want me to keep it or throw it out?" - you can imagine what my reply was!

I really miss those DC-10s, especially the chrome AA ones  

[Edited 2015-02-06 02:06:25]
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

GSPSPOT

Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:28 pm

Sitting on the hood (bonnet) of our car with my Dad watching the all-too-infrequent movements at MOB, listening to the air band radio for hope of catching an NA 727 while we were there. First flight was on an NA 727 MOB-MSY - all of 25 minutes!
Great Lakes, great life.

jb1087xna

Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:34 am

Earliest, which was the first flight I was on, was early 90s on WN from LIT-STL. Was in grade school and parents were taking me to see a Cardinals game in STL. Really don't remember much other than specifically being in my seat.

[Edited 2015-02-06 20:35:30]

CXB77L

Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:09 pm

I grew up in Hong Kong in the 1980s when Kai Tak was still operational. I lived on the Kowloon side, so I regularly saw planes flying very low overhead on its way to land. I was within walking distance to Kowloon City Ferry terminal, from which I could get a good view on a clear day of Kai Tak. I remember distinctly doing just that on a few clear summer's evenings. I regularly saw green and white striped 747s, L1011s and JAL DC-10s there.
Boeing 777 fanboy

einsteinboricua

Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:23 am

Don't know which one is first: me being in the AeroParque at SJU watching aircraft takeoff one after the other (ATRs and CASA from MQ, L1011 from DL, 727, DC10 and A300 from AA, 747s from TWA) or sitting on the window seat of an L1011 as I flew to MCO as a 4 year old kid.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

bunumuring

Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:30 pm

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 26):
I was 4 years old, it was my first flight on Fokker F27-500 ZK-NFA. I remember sitting on the lap of my grandmother to look out the window and then handing out lollies. When we got to AKL there was a Canadian Airlines DC10 and an Air Caledonie Caravelle at international terminal and a Flying Tigers 741F.

One of my favourite aviation moments was when my young sons were chosen by Air New Zealand FAs to walk down the aisles of a 767-300ER handing out lollies from cane baskets during a Sydney-Auckland flight. We were going on our first holiday with me as a single dad and seeing the happiness my sons brought making small talk to complete strangers actually made me tear-up!

And yes, I remember the Air Caledonie International Caravelle flying in and out of Sydney. It always looked so exotic but oh so out-of-place parked amongst the Lufthansa, Olympic, KLM, Alitalia and of course Qantas 747s of the time...

Cheers,
Bunumuring.
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

SJCMSP

Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:35 pm

Taking off from SJC in a UA DC-8 in 1982. I remember I wasn't expecting the sound of the engines (I was 3) and it scared me.

I also have a fuzzy memory of taking off from ORD at dusk on a UA 727, looking back after we had just taken off and seeing the line of planes waiting to take off

VapourTrails

Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:46 pm

Quoting bunumuring (Reply 38):

One of my favourite aviation moments was when my young sons were chosen by Air New Zealand FAs to walk down the aisles of a 767-300ER handing out lollies from cane baskets during a Sydney-Auckland flight. We were going on our first holiday with me as a single dad and seeing the happiness my sons brought making small talk to complete strangers actually made me tear-up!.

I remember as a child on my first flight of memory, being given a colouring in book or activity pack. I am not sure whether they still hand out things like this to children to keep them 'occupied' as such these days. When I was six one of my friends who was the same age used to fly solo on connecting flights interstate. I used to think that was really brave! I've travelled with a sibling a few times in childhood, without accompanying adult/s, that was pretty fun.

falstaff

Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:04 pm

My first aviation memory is going to SGF (Springfield, Missouri) in 1979/80 and flying to STL on Ozark DC-9s, then on to another of other cities (usually Pittsburgh on TW) . One time mom and I did the trip on a FH-227 with a stop near Ft. Leonard Wood. It was a mixed cargo/pax flight.

Quoting Tan1mill (Reply 14):
We always flew United, since my Dad flew them for business and accumulated lots of frequent flier miles. This paint job is my earliest recollection:

We moved to Denver in 1981 and we flew UAL almost everywhere 1981-1991. The only exception was when we went to Pittsburgh it was always on TW. I will always think of UA in those colors. I loved flying on their DC-8s. My dad and I would go and watch planes at DEN all the time. When it was still open we would go to the 94th Areo Squadron restaurant, have lunch and watch planes.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

foppishbum

Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:55 pm

It was a family trip to Penghu, Taiwan. We flew from Taipei Songshan (TSA) to Penghu Magong (MZG) on a Boeing 737-200 operated by Far Eastern Air Transport (FE).

I was very excited as it was my first time flying. Beforehand, my dad would take me to TSA frequently to do some spotting (he's not an avgeek but knew I love airplanes). It was a long time ago so spotters were only a chest-height brick wall away from the tarmac. I had already fallen in love with airplanes but first time flying was a memory I remember the most. While we took off and turning towards the ocean, I was amazed how the Earth was seemingly tilting. Ever since then, I've always had my eyes glued on the window and I've always sit in a window seat (unless unforeseen circumstances make it impossible).  
TPE X LAX X NYC :airplane:

ElanusNotatus

Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:15 am

Quoting VapourTrails (Reply 40):

I remember as a child on my first flight of memory, being given a colouring in book or activity pack. I am not sure whether they still hand out things like this to children to keep them 'occupied' as such these days.

Hey, I recall being given a package containng a glove puppet character and a colouring book on an Emirates flight in 2009. I was in my fifties! Well, the steward did say that it was for the grandchildren. Funny thing is, I wasn't travelling with any.

He later came back saying, "I thought I'd bring something for the adults" and handed over a pack of cards.  
Crawl, walk, fly into the future

VapourTrails

Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:39 am

Quoting ElanusNotatus (Reply 43):

Hey, I recall being given a package containng a glove puppet character and a colouring book on an Emirates flight in 2009. I was in my fifties! Well, the steward did say that it was for the grandchildren. Funny thing is, I wasn't travelling with any.

He later came back saying, "I thought I'd bring something for the adults" and handed over a pack of cards.  

A glove puppet character, great idea.    I assumed the activities were for the younger ones.. ..but not travelling on the flight, that is amusing!?

I mentioned cards on flights on another thread. They seem very yesteryear, with all the IFE and eBooks etc. these days.. Good for airline memorabilia collectors though maybe..    saying that, I would play card games on a flight, but I may be in the minority there...   

ERJ135

Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:14 am

I don't remember any flights when I was a kid but in 1965 I was a young man flying with my parents on the trip of a life time aboard a KLM DC-8 "Sir Frank Whittle" all the from Amsterdam to Frankfurt, Rome, Beirut, Karachi, Manila and Sydney on a one way trip.
This apparently was my first trip on a Jet too.
I so want to fly on SCAT one day!

Yflyer

Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:33 am

I debated what to post in this thread, since many people are posting about the first flight they remember taking and I didn't take my first flight until I was 23, so that's still a relatively recent memory. We always drove for vacations when I was a kid -- my parents thought taking the whole family on a trip by air was too expensive.

What I do remember, however, was going to CLT in the mid 1980s (I would have been around 4 or 5) to pick up other relatives, and I think maybe once or twice my dad took me to the airport just to walk around and look at the planes. This was of course when everyone was allowed to go to the gate, and I do have a memory of going through the metal detector. I honestly didn't care that much about the planes back then; I was more into cars at that age, but even then I was observant enough to note that different planes had 2, 3, or 4 engines, some of them had the engines on the tail while others had engines on the wings, and that some had T-tails and others had conventional tails.

VapourTrails

Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:36 am

Quoting Yflyer (Reply 46):
I debated what to post in this thread, since many people are posting about the first flight they remember taking and I didn't take my first flight until I was 23, so that's still a relatively recent memory. We always drove for vacations when I was a kid -- my parents thought taking the whole family on a trip by air was too expensive.

What I do remember, however, was going to CLT in the mid 1980s (I would have been around 4 or 5) to pick up other relatives, and I think maybe once or twice my dad took me to the airport just to walk around and look at the planes.

Yes, I can relate to what you say. We never went on a plane trip as a family, actually, we have still never been on a plane trip all together as a family! We didn't do interstate trips by any means, and overseas trips were never on the radar. The intrastate travel was partly due to cost, but also we had a farm, and it just wasn't practical to go too far away.

This was also an era when air travel was not an everyday / more affordable thing like it is now. An air fare was a once a year special event, or a ticket (you know, the real airline tickets!) was a gift, and only some family members went at a time. School excursions did not usually extend as far as air travel (then) either, well mine didn't!

Going to the airport was the trip! LOL.. meeting someone or seeing them back.   

[Edited 2015-02-16 00:58:22]