afcjets
Topic Author

American Now Worst Domestic 1st Class Seat By Far

Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:22 pm

All domestic narrow body two class aircraft delivered to American beginning with the 738 have straight back seats which do not contour out so while competitive at "seat" width where they are measured, literally at the seat of the chair, they are much more narrow than other airlines at the back and top, meaning less room to sit back and get comfortable. A perfect analogy is American's first class seat is like a straight back dining chair, where other airlines chairs are more like living room club chairs that swoop back. Which sounds more comfortable to you?   

Worse, this creates a gaping hole between rows and you can clearly see the passengers in front of you, or the ones behind you can watch you for your entire flight. This total lack of privacy does not even exist in rows of their coach cabin.

Why anyone would purchase a first class ticket on American (at least on 738, refurbished 757s, 319, and 32B) is beyond me. This actually has caused me to switch to Delta when buying domestic First Class tickets. (And no I am not a large guy, my waist size is only 30) IMO Premium Economy would be a better name, if you evaluate it on seat alone. The thing that is dumbfounding is American has yielded no net seats with these narrow first class seats. I mean I get offering 10 across in Coach on 77W means they can sell more seats, but these narrow First seats accomplishes nothing (except less comfort and less privacy) and it is just a complete waste of space. Hopefully they will not be shrinking the first class seats on existing US aircraft but in time they probably will to be consistent. At one time I would have said American hands down had the best domestic first class product, but this makes it the absolute worst.

[Edited 2015-01-26 11:24:42]

777STL

RE: American Now Worst Domestic 1st Class Seat By

Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:32 pm

You might want to qualify your thread title as this is your subjective opinion.
PHX based

BrianDromey

Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:33 pm

I don't understand the want and need for "privacy" in an aircraft. What would you do to require it? If you are working on sensitive material on the flight, would you do it in Starbucks? Who would turn around and look at you through the seat gap for an entire flight?

thekorean

Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:34 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 2):

On a long haul I do see it but 4, 5 hour flight? I agree.

EricR

Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:38 pm

Quoting AFCJETS (Thread starter):
this creates a gaping hole between rows and you can clearly see the passengers in front of you, or the ones behind you can watch you for your entire flight. This total lack of privacy does not even exist in rows of their coach cabin.

What the hell are you doing that requires privacy? If privacy is what you want, then throw a paper bag over your head.

afcjets
Topic Author

Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:44 pm

Quoting EricR (Reply 4):
What the hell are you doing that requires privacy? If privacy is what you want, then throw a paper bag over your head

Personally, I don't like having a head on view of someone's hairy elbows during a flight, either with our without meal service, but that's just me. Actually AA learned their lesson on the 738 and placed a small piece of plastic above the armrest on the 319, an elbow guard, if you will.

[Edited 2015-01-26 11:48:21]

LAXintl

Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:49 pm

Go fly in Europe and see how their premium products are in narrowbodies. Often no different that economy class seats with simply middle seat left open.

US domestic F class is fine for what it is considering actual paid occupancy is 40%'ish and normally filed with upgrades. You get a 2 x 2 seat, several more inches of room, and some form of meal service.

Suggest you look into corporate fractional flying if you are so bothered by seeing seat mates arms.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

B747forever

Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:31 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 6):
Go fly in Europe and see how their premium products are in narrowbodies. Often no different that economy class seats with simply middle seat left open.

Exactly, J in Europe is a joke. I would much rather have more legroom and wider seats than lounge access.
Work Hard, Fly Right

afcjets
Topic Author

Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:37 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 6):

I have, AA;s competition in domestic US is DL and UA, not Iberia. I don't need to fly PJs. I can fly DL and even UA.

DAL763ER

Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:32 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 2):
I don't understand the want and need for "privacy" in an aircraft. What would you do to require it? If you are working on sensitive material on the flight, would you do it in Starbucks? Who would turn around and look at you through the seat gap for an entire flight?

I agree. You're in a public place after all. It's like getting annoyed at someone taking a photo on the street and one saying "How am I supposed to have any privacy if I'm in your photo?". If you have sensitive stuff to work on, use a screen protector. Or do it in the office, not on a plane. Or fly private.

afcjets
Topic Author

Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:39 pm

Or fly coach on American. Just not First Class.

AAIL86

Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:13 am

Several posters have already noted this is pure opinion. I actually like the new seat, the 6-7 times I've flown it it's been comfortable. Much rather fly that then United's old F/C on the Airbuses, for example ...
The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason - Benjamim Franklin

afcjets
Topic Author

Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:21 am

Quoting AAIL86 (Reply 11):
Several posters have already noted this is pure opinion. I actually like the new seat, the 6-7 times I've flown it it's been comfortable

While the title is definitely opinion and the last sentence, this is posted under Travel Polls and Preferences so of course it is   Still most of the post is informative and factual. However you are the first user to respond to actually to give your opinion of the seat which is meaningful. This video starts with the head on view you have from your seat. Remember this view comes at the expense of seat width. I personally would rather have more seat, and not have a view of the passenger in front of me the entire flight. I am surprised I am in the minority and that everyone here who has responded prefers narrower seats and less privacy. There must be someone out there who likes wider seats and doesn't want a frontal view of the passengers in the row in front of them. Anyone?

http://youtu.be/UG5PmWyyN8Y?t=6m59s

[Edited 2015-01-27 20:48:42]

coolian2

Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:07 am

How do you get a frontal view if you're behind someone??
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

afcjets
Topic Author

Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:51 pm

Quoting coolian2 (Reply 13):
How do you get a frontal view if you're behind someone??

I mean frontal viewpoint, as what you are looking atright in front of you. In other words, you would have to either turn your head or close your eyes to avoid having to look at another passenger head on for your entire flight.

ckfred

Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:26 pm

Quoting AFCJETS (Reply 5):
Personally, I don't like having a head on view of someone's hairy elbows during a flight

How is the elbow a hairy part of the body? Think about all of the rubbing that the elbow takes, either from rubbing against the inside of a sleeve, or resting on a table or armrest. A lot of people I know wear long sleeves on airplanes, because planes tend to be cold. I highly doubt you will see a lot of elbows on a flight between LGA and ORD in the winter.

That said, I would prefer a straight back chair. I was on a "new" 738 in 2011, and the countoured seat killed my neck, since I was trying to watch the movie. I got the feeling that seat designer expected the seat to be reclined, and I seldom recline a seat.

And you might be surprised how many people there are with back problems and prefer hard chairs with straight backs over "comfy" club chairs.

afcjets
Topic Author

Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:11 pm

Quoting ckfred (Reply 15):
. I highly doubt you will see a lot of elbows on a flight between LGA and ORD in the winter.

True, but AA is not a regional airline from the North that only operates seasonally during the winter. They are becoming the world's largest airline. I live in Southern CA.