Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Heinkel
Topic Author

The Best Way To Travel From Germany To TLV?

Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:24 pm

May be I have to do a business trip to Israel in a few weeks.

The question is, what is the best way to travel from northern Germany (HAJ, HAM, TXL) to TLV?

There are connections TXL - TLV by Air Serbia and Ukraine Intl Air with a stopover at Kiew ( KBP ) or Amman ( AMM ). They are the fastest way to go there but the question is, if it is a good idead today not only to fly over Ukraine but to have a stopover at KBP?

Any suggestions?

Which airline and which route would you prefer?

B747forever

RE: The Best Way To Travel From Germany To TLV?

Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:35 pm

Have you looked into flying TK? They have something like 6-7 daily flights on IST-TLV alone. They probably have several flights a day to your departure airports too (HAJ, HAM, TXL).
Work Hard, Fly Right

aloges

Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:41 pm

How do you define "best"? Do you have access to lounges, is there a tight schedule, will you have to keep expenses as low as possible..?

As for Ukraine, my personal view of the issue is that the west and centre of the country are fine, but the east must be avoided.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

LOWS

Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:19 pm

Quoting aloges (Reply 2):
As for Ukraine, my personal view of the issue is that the west and centre of the country are fine, but the east must be avoided.

I was in Kiev a few weeks ago. Flew into KBP. Wasn't a problem.

Heinkel
Topic Author

Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:20 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 1):
Have you looked into flying TK?

Yes, I have. I like TK and I like their catering and their Business Lounge at IST. The problem is, that most of the TK flights arrive at TLV a night (20:15, 21:15, 00:50, 02:55 local time). Not such a good idea, because our final destination is 100 km away from TLV.

I would prefer an arrival in the afternoon.

Quoting aloges (Reply 2):
Do you have access to lounges, is there a tight schedule, will you have to keep expenses as low as possible..?

The flight will be in J, I hope. So I think there is access to lounges. As mentioned before, I like the TK Business Lounge at IST very much.

Company books and pays. So they have the last decision, which airline/flight is booked. The good thing is, that I can make some suggestions.

aloges

Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:08 pm

Quoting Heinkel (Reply 4):
The flight will be in J, I hope. So I think there is access to lounges. As mentioned before, I like the TK Business Lounge at IST very much.

If the business lounge is the same as the Star Gold lounge, TK is the best option in terms of service - you'll need that extra night in Tel Aviv just to digest.  

[Edited 2015-02-01 08:10:52]

B747forever

Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:43 pm

Quoting Heinkel (Reply 4):
The problem is, that most of the TK flights arrive at TLV a night (20:15, 21:15, 00:50, 02:55 local time). Not such a good idea, because our final destination is 100 km away from TLV.

Just checking on their website you can fly TXL-IST-TLV departing 0715 arriving into TLV 1440 with a 90min connection. I am sure you can find similar connections out of HAM/HAJ.
Work Hard, Fly Right

debonair

Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:09 pm

What about up! or easyjet from SXF?!

http://www.flyup.com/

reifel

Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:56 pm

Go for Air Serbia. From TXL they have great schedules not arriving in the middle of th night.
They use A319's and come a long way. They have a real business class recliner seat in 2-2 arrangement, much better than what i.e. LH / OS are offering on their NEK seats. No personal IFE, but on the longer segemtns you will get an Ipad. http://www.airserbia.com/en/business-class

BEG is extremely easy to transfer and was nicely refurbished. You will have a security check at the gate, but apart from that that's it. The Lounge is pretty basic but they have a nice salad bar, that's about it, but you wont spend much time there anyway. Pricewise Air Serbia is probably the best choice anyway.

TK could be an interesting option, but as far as I recall within europe, at least from TXL, you will not get a widebody aircraft and thus might be stuck in a regular economy class 3-3 arrangement with middle seat empty. Food and lounge in IST are excellent of course.

[Edited 2015-02-01 10:01:33]

mercure1

Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:05 pm

Yes I also suggest TK.
Was in news TK was the #1 foreign airline in Israel by volume. Article said they will be going 8 x daily for summer 2015 !

Quoting reifel (Reply 8):
TK could be an interesting option, but as far as I recall within europe, at least from TXL, you will not get a widebody aircraft and thus might be stuck in a regular economy class 3-3 arrangement with middle seat empty. Food and lounge in IST are excellent of course.

Majority of TK narrowbodies feature 2x2 seats up front now. These assigned to overseas trips. Its becoming rare to see European style 3x3 with middle seat left open.
mercure f-wtcc

LAXintl

Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:34 pm

I don't know your exact travel date, but as mentioned above you can depart on TK from TXL at 7am and be into TLV early afternoon. If you want to go a bit later you can depart TXL at 11 and be into TLV at 8pm.
From HAM and HAJ you can also depart at 11 and arrive into TLV at 8pm.

Certainly lots of options on TK.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

reifel

Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:54 pm

Quoting mercure1 (Reply 9):
Majority of TK narrowbodies feature 2x2 seats up front now. These assigned to overseas trips. Its becoming rare to see European style 3x3 with middle seat left open.

Thanks for the heads up. I always had the impression TK had tons of different interior on their narrowbody aircrafts, but they're aparently getting rid of it. TK may also have the advantage of some of their narrowbody aircrafts, I believe especially the A321, having persional IFE.

That said, the Air Serbia option would give you the safety to get a proper business class for sure

rwsea

Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:50 pm

TK seems the best option, I would just be weary of a shorter connection, particularly if checking luggage. IST airport is very crowded and overburdened for the amount of traffic that it carries. You can expect long bus rides to and from each flight, a crowded and chaotic security check, and potentially long walks. About a year ago I had a 90 minute connection and barely made it. My luggage did not, and it took three days of hassle and begging over the phone to get it back. In this scenario, there was no chance to visit the lounge, etc. just keep that in mind if you have a shorter connection, especially as you are flying to Israel and could possibly face extra security as well.

aloges

Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:35 pm

Quoting rwsea (Reply 12):
You can expect long bus rides to and from each flight, a crowded and chaotic security check

A security check during a connection at IST? Are you sure?  

LAXintl

Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:30 am

Quoting aloges (Reply 13):

As of about a year ago, there are no longer any transit security check when arriving from points like EU. Simply head to your departing gate (or spend free time in the lounge or shops time permitting).
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

EL-AL

Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:53 am

Why connecting for such a short flight? El Al is flying nonstop from SXF to TLV, and LY's business class is way above all other airlines flying nonstop from Germany to Israel. Why making a 4 hours flight into 6+ one?
every day is a good day to fly

OA260

Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:18 pm

I would go JU or TK ! As any proper Anetter knows 4 flights are better than 2  

Heinkel
Topic Author

Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:20 pm

Dear A-netters,

thanks for the many helpful hints. There are some really interesting connections. I hope the trip will become reality soon.

Quoting EL-AL (Reply 15):
El Al is flying nonstop from SXF to TLV,

Sounds really good, but it's a longer way to go to SXF. I live rough 200 km west of Berlin. So going to TXL is just one hour in a high speed train and a short shuttle ride from Berlin Central Station to TXL. Last December I had an AUDI A8 long as shuttle...

SXF is more distant. Requires an additional 1/2 hour train ride and a 600 m walk  

Is the real El Al flying from SXF or is it only El Al's low cost brand UP? I can only find offers for cattle class flights on the website for SXF - TLV.

[Edited 2015-02-02 12:26:37]

B747forever

Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:41 pm

Quoting Heinkel (Reply 17):

Let us know how you will be flying when it is all booked!
Work Hard, Fly Right

reifel

Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:41 pm

Quoting aloges (Reply 13):

Yes, I can confirm that. It seems to depend on the flights though. I.e. bus arrivals from LJU I was released in regular arrivals area and had to wait in a long queue for reclear security and head up one level. I think I recall having arrived through a finger from FRA once, and they release me in the regular departure area, while guests ending in Istanbul had to go down to the immigration level. If I recall correctly, when arriving from "safe" destinations (probably EU and US/CA) AND you have a jetway, then you MIGHT be able to go directly to departure area if you are on a connecting flight.

The issue is with IST that a) you will be stuck in aircraft traffic up to 30 minutes after landing and b) you will very often get a bus gate and then c) you will queue for ages in security in an airport that is completely over it's capacity.

As I said, as much as I love TK and their lounge, the BEG option sounds more appealing to me  

[Edited 2015-02-03 09:42:21]

reifel

Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:43 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 14):
As of about a year ago, there are no longer any transit security check when arriving from points like EU. Simply head to your departing gate (or spend free time in the lounge or shops time permitting).

Great, exactly what I remember. A terrific transit improvement in IST then. But does this also work for bus gates? Do they have created like 2 segregated bus arrival areas? That could work then... I always recall having to pass security when using bus gates, but that may be more than a year ago...

agrflyer

Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:37 pm

Quoting reifel (Reply 20):
Great, exactly what I remember. A terrific transit improvement in IST then. But does this also work for bus gates? Do they have created like 2 segregated bus arrival areas? That could work then... I always recall having to pass security when using bus gates, but that may be more than a year ago...

In December I arrived from Zurich and was bussed to the terminal. We had to reclear security (which was close to immigration). I enjoyed my time in TK's *G lounge......
July 2018, A3 C-Class ZRH-ATH-TLV-ATH-VIE
July 2018, OS C-Class VIE-ZRH
September 2018, ZRH-MXP-VIE-YYZ-LGA / JFK-VIE-ZRH on OS, LX and AC in Y and C

reifel

Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:45 pm

Quoting agrflyer (Reply 21):
In December I arrived from Zurich and was bussed to the terminal. We had to reclear security (which was close to immigration). I enjoyed my time in TK's *G lounge......

Thanks, so as I presumed that would mean those "lucky ones" that do not reclear security in IST are those that arrive from "safe" countries AND get a jetway...