Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dxs5651
Topic Author

UA MileagePlus 2015 Using Miles

Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:17 pm

Does anyone have details of changes to MP's program for using miles in 2015? The MP folks keep saying that changes are coming for mileage use, but have not released any details. Using miles for E+ and baggage is all they mention. What are the details of that? Are there other details? Are award redemption rules changing? Upgrade rules? Other ?

roseflyer

RE: UA MileagePlus 2015 Using Miles

Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:53 pm

United Mileage plus is turning miles into a form of currency. There is a cost with purchasing them and an exact value for what they are worth. One day United will turn awards into using miles to purchase based on fare price. When that happens, miles will turn into a complete fiat currency. I would love to see the feds come in and shutdown the miles business which is essentially a United Mileage Plus run fiat currency that keeps getting devalued. I would love to see the government shutdown mileage plus since it is using the concept of miles, which are completely unrelated to flying distance, as a form of currency to compete with the dollar.

Back on topic, I haven't heard anything since this round of devaluation:

http://thepointsguy.com/2014/11/unit...alues-mileageplus-premier-program/
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

FriendlySkies

Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:11 pm

Quoting Roseflyer (Reply 1):
United Mileage plus is turning miles into a form of currency. There is a cost with purchasing them and an exact value for what they are worth. One day United will turn awards into using miles to purchase based on fare price. When that happens, miles will turn into a complete fiat currency. I would love to see the feds come in and shutdown the miles business which is essentially a United Mileage Plus run fiat currency that keeps getting devalued. I would love to see the government shutdown mileage plus since it is using the concept of miles, which are completely unrelated to flying distance, as a form of currency to compete with the dollar.

Not to say I don't agree, but how is this any different than what WN does, or the direction DL is heading (arguably faster than UA)?

Osubuckeyes

Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:39 pm

Quoting FriendlySkies (Reply 2):
but how is this any different than what WN does, or the direction DL is heading (arguably faster than UA)?

It isn't any different, but WN does call them points. Public perception is certainly different since WN never went from credits to points. If any suit came up I would imagine UA/DL to change them immediately to Points and ditch the "miles" label. Delta SkyPoints and United MileagePlue Points.

ua900

Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:07 pm

Quoting dxs5651 (Thread starter):
Does anyone have details of changes to MP's program for using miles in 2015? The MP folks keep saying that changes are coming for mileage use, but have not released any details. Using miles for E and baggage is all they mention. What are the details of that? Are there other details? Are award redemption rules changing? Upgrade rules? Other ?

Good question to UA folks. Likely UA has been too busy focusing on the new website or the earnings side that they forgot to update their website at http://mileageplusupdates.com

The only official statement they have at present is that "In early 2015, you will have the ability to use miles for new options such as Economy Plus one-time purchases, Economy Plus subscriptions and checked baggage subscriptions. Later this year we will have more details."

The "later this year" part has been there since 2014. Amazingly they still seem to lack a lot of specifics for changes will go live in less than a month, not just on the redemption side but also on the earnings side. For me, calling them has worked well to get answers to things they have not communicated in writing, you might want to try that route.
2020: AMS | ATL | BRU | DAL | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | GUA | IAH | LAX | LIM | MCO | MUC | ORD | PTY | SAL | SCL | SFO | TPA | TXL

roseflyer

Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:08 pm

Quoting FriendlySkies (Reply 2):

Not to say I don't agree, but how is this any different than what WN does, or the direction DL is heading (arguably faster than UA)?

It isn't different. Now that you can go on the Mileage Plus shopping mall or SkyMiles mall and buy gift cards, electronics, etc with miles, they are turning it into a form of currency.

Federal law prohibits creating coins as a private currency: http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/18/I/25/486 Mileage Plus miles (and skymiles) are turning into a virtual currency. You can buy miles, transfer miles, give away miles, use them to purchase goods and services (more than just travel), etc. They have turned into a currency regulated by the airlines who constantly devalue them at the expense of the consumer. I'd love to see the government come in and stop this process.

By the way there is a little sarcasm in this post.

[Edited 2015-02-09 13:52:13]
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

Osubuckeyes

Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:15 pm

Quoting Roseflyer (Reply 5):
I'd love to see the government come in and stop this process.

Okay so how is that different from credit card rewards points? You can buy points, transfer them, give them away, and buy just about anything including, in certain cases, "exclusive" experiences.

ua900

Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:24 pm

Quoting osubuckeyes (Reply 6):
Okay so how is that different from credit card rewards points? You can buy points, transfer them, give them away, and buy just about anything including, in certain cases, "exclusive" experiences.

Neither UA nor the transportation sector are alone in this. If government were to choke this with regulation, a company would come up with an alternate form of reward. For example, club memberships were invitation only until the government forced airlines to open them to paid memberships. Did that represent a true change or merely new invitation only programs like Global Services along with decaying United clubs?

And let's remember that there are always some people who game a system with things like the US mint $1 coin purchases. So it's partly airlines trying to find new ways for people to redeem at a lower cost to the company (e.g. redemptions for non-airline travel if you're an airline) and partly it's a reaction to what some trailblazers are doing with those miles/points.
2020: AMS | ATL | BRU | DAL | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | GUA | IAH | LAX | LIM | MCO | MUC | ORD | PTY | SAL | SCL | SFO | TPA | TXL

coronado

Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:08 am

Quoting osubuckeyes (Reply 3):
Delta SkyPoints and United MileagePlue Points.

Going back to Econ101 Delta could just call them the SkyWidgets  
The Original Coronado: First CV jet flights RG CV 990 July 1965; DL CV 880 July 1965; Spantax CV990 Feb 1973

LAX772LR

Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:54 am

Quoting Roseflyer (Reply 1):
I would love to see the government shutdown mileage plus since it is using the concept of miles

NEVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR gonna happen.

Screw with the FFP of an airline with a major intercon hub in DC? ...who do you think would be the most affected.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil