B8887
Topic Author

Have You Ever Been Involved In A Crash?

Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:02 pm

So, have you ever been involved in a crash, either as a pilot or as a passenger?

Did you, for example, book a flight, did not make it to the airport, and that flight was involved in an accident?

Have you ever been involved in a serious incident, or do you know someone who has?

If so, what can you tell us about it, your views, your thoughts, or anything else that you would like to share.

From my part, the most serious thing that I have experienced was very, very severe turbulence, out of NCE on an AF flight to ORY, and that's just about it, but it does not count...

Thanks...

B8887

ytz

RE: Have You Ever Been Involved In A Crash?

Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:05 pm

I witnessed two small ones in my teens. Cadet gliders. One was a tow rope break at a 50 feet with a hard landing. Another was a poorly flown approach where the pilot couldn't reach the runway. Essentialy CFIT beyond the tree line.

In both cases, injuries to ego were higher than sustained injuries.

Should add. Have gone through training to assist in airfield crash response at one of the bases I served at. Never had to use my skills though...thankfully.

[Edited 2015-03-04 09:34:37]

fraspotter

Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:20 pm

Not me but my Uncle was a member of the responding fire crews in Sioux City, Iowa for United 232 in 1989. I was only 2 years old at the time but as I got older I was always told to never bring up the crash in front of him. Based on what I can guess he witnessed and saw there I can understand why.
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

— Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel

ANITIX87

Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:33 pm

I've come close, never been in one, thankfully.

I flew on N93119 ATH-JFK on July 17, 1996, the day she went down doing JFK-CDG-ATH as TWA800 later that day.

I flew on HB-IWF ZRH-JFK on September 2, 1998, the day she went down doing JFK-GVA as SWR111 later that day.

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

aviationaware

Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:41 pm

I have had a tire burst on landing... that's about as crashy as it got for me.

SJCMSP

Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:43 pm

I've never had any incidents really. Of all the people I know, my father-in-law being on this flight is the closest thing I can think of.

http://aaaawww.airliners.net/aviatio...general_aviation/read.main/4609687

aerdingus

Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:06 pm

Holy crap!!

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 3):

Wow!
A306 A313 A319 A320 A321 A333 A346 A359 ATR42 ATR72 B734 B737 B738 B744 B772 B789 C152 MD80 RJ85 S340

vikkyvik

Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:13 pm

Yes - as a passenger. Indian Airlines flight IC605 in Bangalore, Feb. 14 1990.

I wrote up something about it somewhere on this site, but can't find it right now.

I flew on N93119 ATH-JFK on July 17, 1996, the day she went down doing JFK-CDG-ATH as TWA800 later that day.

I flew on HB-IWF ZRH-JFK on September 2, 1998, the day she went down doing JFK-GVA as SWR111 later that day.

Clearly any day that you fly into JFK is not a good day for anyone to fly out!
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

neutrino

Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:35 pm

The closest shave I had in over many hundreds of flights was MI185 on Fri Dec 19th 1997.
I had booked but not yet paid on SilkAir SIN-JKT-SIN. Was to depart SIN on the 17th and back on that fateful 19th flight.
Purpose was to oversee installation of a large photo lab equipment, but on the 15th my customer called to postpone the project as the premises was still not ready. However I did personally know a couple of the passengers and the captain.   
Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis

exfss

Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:36 pm

I have been on a plane in james bay ,Quebec, that had to send a mayday call to ygl fss.

A DC_3 (G-CSC) on take off from ygl to ygw on a mail run.
I was Floating agent (we use to call it tipit) on a non passenger flight.
Plane took off and could not level , it kept climbing and climbing.
Pilot told me to go sit and fasten my belt.
They were both screaming ''bad religious words''(in Quebec that is how we swear) to the bloody plane.

I was very worry...

Finally, around 10,000 ft ,after looking at the pilot pull and push on the command many many times, I have heard a loud noise, as the wire commanding the elevator snapped off the wheel pullie.
we went back to YGL, fast, and the three of us went for a ride on a 310 that was ready for us...
I did not want to go on board, but they pushed me in , and I am glad they did.
I was a 18 years old student at that time, but that where i decided that FSS was a hell of a good job to help other.

It was in 1978 (if I recall well), and i recall very well the name of the captain...

On the radio, as a FSS many years later, i had to make a cloud break for a lost over the cloud pilot, and this have been my worst nightmare to archieve.
No question is stupid.Only answers can be.

Revelation

Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:12 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 7):
Yes - as a passenger. Indian Airlines flight IC605 in Bangalore, Feb. 14 1990.

I wrote up something about it somewhere on this site, but can't find it right now.

Think I found it:

Share Your "close-calls" Or "accident(s)" (by Noonerlicious Feb 9 2004 in Civil Aviation)
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

vikkyvik

Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:29 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 10):
Think I found it:

Share Your "close-calls" Or "accident(s)" (by Noonerlicious Feb 9 2004 in Civil Aviation)

Thanks. That's actually not the one I was remembering (hell, that was 11 years ago!), but it works!
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

KBJCpilot

Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:36 pm

Does having an engine fail in a C172 on a cross country over the Oregon Cascade mountains, having nowhere to land, calling out on 121.5 and not getting a response, and seeing your life flash before your eyes a second before your wheels hit the ground count? Then yes, I have.
Samsonite, I was way off!

flyingturtle

Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:50 pm

You've never been questioned by either the FBI, or the NTSB?  Wow!

Myself: Never been in a crash. But the mother of an ex girlfriend suffered a crash landing in a glider, and she was flown to the hospital for suspected vertebral injuries. She never flew again a glider. But her husband took me on a glider flight once, while a friend of him took my girlfriend into the air in his plane. We circled in the same thermal updraft.

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

ytz

Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:56 pm

Quoting KBJCpilot (Reply 12):

Crazy. What terrain did you force land on?

AR385

Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:18 pm

I have been involved in two emergency evacs with slides and one uncontained engine failure on a 742

First Evac:

Flying on a 727-200 MTY-CUN. Plane was full. I was seated about 8 rows from L1. We were taking off and close to V1, due to the general area of the runway I could see from my window. All of a sudden, big bang and smoke. The plane starts to break so hard the seat belt was hurting my stomach. Thrust reversers and spoilers deployed. We came to taxi speed. Captain came on PA and said: "Cabin Crew, remain seated, passengers remain seated." Smoke kept filling the plane. We taxied out of the runway into the paralled taxiway. Then we stop and Captain comes into PA again: "Cabin Crew, Emergency Evac, Emergency Evac, Emergency Evac"

At this, pandemonium ensued. I was seated in a window seat and people were screaming, yelling, climbing over the seats. FAs were yelling and doing a good job, then I realized that even being 1.87 mts tall and a good, lean 100kg, I could not get into the aisle. People would simply not let me. After a few seconds of this I decided to screw with politeness and started hitting people with my elbows, I´m sure I broke a nose or two, throwing punches and kicking. That´s how I made it into the aisle. The next thing I remember is pushing an idiot that was getting stuff out of his overhead and sliding down the slide.

Lessons learned:

1) Count how many rows from where you are seated to the nearest exit. And, be aware of your surroundings at all times. Better yet, even if you have to pay extra, get the emergency exit seat. I will never forget how I could simply not get into the aisle.
2) In an FR style plane do not seat on a window.
3) Do not were shorts or flip flops when air travelling. I was wearing jeans, and chaffed my butt and the underside of my legs, by going down the slide. Remained chaffed for a week. Someone with shorts? Can´t imagine the chaffing. Will probably leave his skin smeared on the slide.
4) Be prepared to be not violent, but rather unpolite.
5) Get it into your mind that you HAVE TO GET OUT. That´s the only thing you should think about.
6) Do not panic.

Engine 2 went at V1, I was later told.

Second Evac:

Tire blew out at slow speed but punctured tank so there was fuel gushing. Not on fire but gushing. Similar to above. But captain decided to evac on runway. This time it was a 737-700, we exited on the right side. Same recomendations. Although slightly less chaffing...on butt.

Uncontained engine failure.

AR 747-287, EZE-MEX. At about 1hr out of EZE we hear a loud noise, like thunder. I was with mother on F, upper deck, drinking champagne. Lights flicker, plane leans to the left and feels like slow but sudden descent. Plane rights itself, stops descending. Then the REAL BIG THUNDER sounds and we definitely feel the nose pointing down and plane leaning way to the left. Lights go out and then come back. People are scared. Plane rights itself. Captain comes on the PA: ""Ladies and Gentlemen we have a technical issue with an engine and we will have to return to EZE. Nothing to worry about. Cabin Crew, prepare cabin for "special" arrival""

Mother calls the FA on our section. She smiles, like we are in a party and offers more champagne, says nothing to worry about, and that´s it. We arrived at Buenos Aires airspace and circle for about 4 hrs. Champagne keeps pouring. Up in F you could pretend we were still heading to MEX not circling EZE. Rather surreal if you ask me. Then we make a perfectly normal landing, were never given special instructions or nothing. We taxied to the gate, were taken to hotels and then flew to MEX the next day.

I guess that´s it.

PS

If you think evacs are like those you see on youtube when certifying planes, it´s really not. It´s nothing like that. It´s panic and everybody else for themselves.

[Edited 2015-03-04 13:22:25]

tomcbaker

Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:34 pm

Quoting B8887 (Thread starter):
From my part, the most serious thing that I have experienced was very, very severe turbulence, out of NCE on an AF flight to ORY, and that's just about it, but it does not count...

I normally wouldn't comment on this thread but just wanted to tell you that the third worst chop I've ever experienced in flight was descending into NCE over the mountains. Second worst was in a bad storm during a holding pattern near LGA and worst was near a thunderstorm going into MIA.
Tom

bond007

Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:36 pm

Not crashes, but some 'experiences':

- Passenger on AA MD80 back in the 90s from TPA to STL and had engine failure due icing flying over top of remnant hurricane (don't remember which one). Loud noises from engine, descended rapidly, seatbelt sign on, captain explained situation. Engine restarted and landed normally at STL.

- Pilot on C172, flying PWK to SBN and smelled smoke in cockpit. Opened vents - seemed to make it worse. Started to panic and to find nearest airport... then realized I was flying over a forest fire below!

- Pilot on Beech Sundowner flying into Waukegan UGN. Landed too fast and started to porpoise - full power and go around. Did it again - same thing. Flew around a bit and thought I'd never be able to land the damn thing   Came in a third time and landed OK. Didn't have many hours at this time so was a little scary. ATC had previously warned me of birds on approach but after I landed they told me they all flew away when they saw my previous landing attempts!

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

EIDL

Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:42 pm

I've had an emergency landing due to a landing gear indication on an FR 732, tower flypast etc done. This is pre AVHerald so I can't find any other references to it online other than my memory of it.

spacecadet

Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:44 pm

Did you, for example, book a flight, did not make it to the airport, and that flight was involved in an accident?

Not exactly that, but I was on a United flight from DEN-PDX in first class that crashed the following day. That was UA173. The people sitting where my family was sitting the day before died.

I witnessed 9/11 firsthand, not on television. One of my childhood friends' mother (who I also knew) died in the twin towers.

The closest I've personally come to being in a crash was an engine fire on takeoff in a DC-10, but it probably didn't come very close to actually crashing. It was just after the type certificate was reinstated in 1980, though, so there was a lot of fear on board when it happened.

[Edited 2015-03-04 13:53:23]
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

Motorhussy

Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:48 pm

Early in 1974 much of our family, my mother, three sisters and me, were off-loaded from a Pan-Am flight from AKL to PPG. We caught the TE (now NZ) flight instead via NAN. The PA flight crashed on approach to Tafuna airport, my older brother and great-uncle were there watching and didn't know we weren't on board. I don't remember a huge amount about it but when we turned up there was much rejoicing.
come visit the south pacific

skymiler

Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:50 pm

I have done the escape slides after tire burst and engine fire .. Eastern DC9 in ATL ... I have the FAA report and it is not very complimentary to the EA maintenance procedures

Amazing how well the emergency crews handled everything -- all safe except for a few bumps and bruises ..

But I have lost 3 friends to 3 well known commercial tragedies ..
I love to fly, and it shows!

ScottishDavie

Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:11 pm

I've never been involved in a crash but I flew on G-BJRT a few days before the windscreen blew out and Captain Lancaster was sucked into the slipstream. Nigel Ogden, who was instrumental in saving the captain's life, was also cabin crew on my flight and I recognised him immediately from photographs. I believe Mr Ogden, who was honoured for his bravery, tried to return to flying but eventually took early retirement. That's as close to any crash as i want to get.

simairlinenet

Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:43 pm

My father: was booked on Korean Air Lines 007 (1983 JFK-ANC-SEL), but switched to Northwest Orient the day before. I made sure to tell this story when interviewing at Northwest.

My brother: was scheduled to fly UPS 6 (2010 DXB-CGN) the subsequent day. He flew the aircraft into DXB.

My closest: nowhere near as close, but I flew Asiana 214 (2013 ICN-SFO) a few months (same tail) before the crash.

KBJCpilot

Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:37 pm

Quoting YTZ (Reply 14):
Crazy. What terrain did you force land on?

I was on a return leg of a cross country to my home airport in a rental C172. The first leg was out to a small airport where my wife at the time and I met some friends for lunch for a few hours. After our goodbyes and hugs we returned to the airport, hopped in the aircraft, and took off headed for home. It was about an two hours before dusk and I wanted to get back before the sun set. (Mistake #1, no pre-flight. I figured that I had flown it earlier and there was nothing to be concerned about.) I took off in marginal VFR and scud-hopped for about 10 minutes looking for a hole in the clouds and when I saw an opening I took it. I was IFR for about 30 seconds but I just kept an eye on my instruments and eventually popped out on top. (Mistake #2, I took a big and unnecessary risk in order to cut corners and get home.)

Once I was clear of the low overcast I turned on course and climbed to 7,500 for the quick 70 mile flight. About 20 miles from my destination my engine sputtered and died. You can probably guess the first two words out of my mouth as I was shaken into the reality that I was going to crash in a matter of minutes but once I got that out of my system I started my mental checklist. A-B-C-D-E (Airspeed/aviate, best landing area, checklist, declare an emergency, execute). Once I realized that I wasn't going to make my destination airport, and not having any other optional airfields within range, I started looking for a place to set it down. I dialed in 121.5 and called out but received no response from anyone. I switched over to Cascade Approach, 124.3, and tried to reach them but by this time I was below the mountaintops and too low to receive or send a signal. I figured that a cell phone call to 911 may work so I pulled out my phone and managed to get through to the local sheriff's department dispatch center where I explained my predicament. I told them what my plans were and where I had planned on putting the aircraft down and to please send out the fire department and ambulance to rescue me before the plane caught on fire on crashed.

I started my descent into a farmer's field- the same field I had practiced engine out approaches many times before. I was at 65 kts, full flaps, 50 feet, and about a hundred yards from touchdown when I saw power lines in front of me. I eased back on the yoke, the stall horn went off, I looked out my window and saw my wheels clear the lines by two feet, and pushed the nose over and set it down. I hadn't planned on the field being irrigated and all I saw was water, mud, and steam as I skidded to a stop. From touchdown to full stop was about 200 feet. I looked up and saw the fire department and sheriff pulling up to the edge of the field so I opened the door, stepped out into 3" of water and mud, and broke down. My hands were shaking so badly and I started bawling like a little kid. Seriously, I couldn't control my emotions as I realized how close to death I had come.

After a minute or so I composed myself, walked out to the road where I was greeted by 15 or so emergency responders, and received high-fives from everyone. They said that this was the first time they had seen someone walk away from a "crash landing" (their words) without dying. They usually help cut the bodies out of the fuselage. The farmer drove up and asked me what I wanted to do with the airplane in the middle of his field and it was the first time I had thought about it. I called the FBO where I had rented it from and told them that their airplane was in a field and to come get it as I was not prepared to fly it out. The farmer towed the 172 to the edge of his field, he stopped the irrigation, and then he got out his mower and cut a 10' wide path the length of the field for us. A little while later the FBO staff showed up with 10 gallons of fuel and the skinniest pilot they could find. He started the engine and performed the prettiest soft field takeoff I have ever seen and then flew it back to the airport.

The next day I drove out to the FBO to settle up the charges. The bill read:

Rental fee: $160.00
Aircraft Recovery fee: $1,000.00
Pilot fee: $40.00
Misc fee: $150.00
Total: $1,350.00

I gladly wrote the check.

It was an expensive lesson. I had flown for over 20 year prior to this incident and had never been through something like this before.

Lessons learned: 1) Pre-flight every time. Even if you just flew and stepped away. ALWAYS PRE-FLIGHT! 2) Rental aircraft have little issues that you should know about before you fly. Look at the POH or logbook in the aircraft for squawks. This particular aircraft had a nasty habit of showing more fuel than was actually in the tanks and the gauges were unreliable. 3) Don't sight-see when you are PIC. Always have an idea where you are, what you would do if your engine quits or something else goes wrong. 4) Have a backup means of communication if possible. Lucky for me my cell phone had service and I could reach someone. 5) Your now ex-wife will always bring it up and hold it against you in any argument.
Samsonite, I was way off!

SuseJ772

Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:16 am

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 13):
You've never been questioned by either the FBI, or the NTSB?  

I thought the same thing two thoughts.

Quoting AR385 (Reply 15):
If you think evacs are like those you see on youtube when certifying planes, it´s really not. It´s nothing like that. It´s panic and everybody else for themselves.

That's helpful to hear. Thank you for mentioning that. I hope I never have to know that in real life.
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

777Jet

Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:33 am

Have you ever been involved in a serious incident, or do you know someone who has?

My uncle was booked on Eastern Air Lines Flight 401 but missed his connection at JFK because his connecting flight from Europe was delayed.
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

Gasman

Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:05 am

Closest I've come was witnessing a Trislander incident at NAN in 1977. Developed gear problems after departure, and circled for an hour or so to burn fuel. Landed with no nosewheel; lots of screeching, sparks etc. No-one injured. A trivial incident in the greater scheme of things, however it was still enough to give me nightmares for years. I was 10 years old when it happened.

Dash8Driver16

Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:07 am

I have had a few incidents.

Emergency for the smell of smoke in the cabin
Lostt my 26v AC system(controls your de-icing/anti-icing) in moderate icing conditions
Multiple emergency gear extensions culminating in my fourth one when the gear wouldn't come down and ended in a gear up landing.
Pushed off the gate and was run into by a 757 ripping the winglet almost completely off.

afterburner

Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:25 am

My wife has an aunt who used to work as a flight attendant for Garuda Indonesia. She supposed to be on duty on Garuda's flight 152 on September 26, 1997 but called in sick. The flight crashed just before landing at Polonia Airport, Medan, North Sumatera. All aboard the aircraft were killed. Among them is the wife of my boss who was also a flight attendant. It turned out that my boss' wife was on that flight to replace my wife's aunt.

debonair

Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:08 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 15):
First Evac: Flying on a 727-200 MTY-CUN.

Do you remember the airline?

Quoting afterburner (Reply 29):
It turned out that my boss' wife was on that flight to replace my wife's aunt.

OMG! Does your boss know the truth? Must be a difficult situation for all of you...

Luckily I never came across a crash so far. But some of the aircrafts I was onboard were involved in accidents - like the TRIGANA ATR42.

AR385

Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:40 am

Quoting debonair (Reply 30):
Do you remember the airline?

Yes I do, perfectly.

airbuseric

Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:09 am

For me, an aborted takeoff when already at quite a speed on the runway in DUB, FR 737-200.
That's all for me. Afaik 4 aircraft I was on before have been crashed afterwards.
"The whole world steps aside for the man who knows where he is going"

ANITIX87

Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:03 pm

Quoting aerdingus (Reply 6):
Holy crap!!

My thoughts exactly. Took me a while to get over a nagging fear of fliying, now I just get anxious because of how easily I get motion sick...

You're fine as long as you're not on the same aircraft!

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 13):
You've never been questioned by either the FBI, or the NTSB?

This is often the first question people ask me, hahahaha. No, never been questioned. At 9 and 11 years old, I guess I wasn't deemed a threat (though I could have crawled into the fuel tank of TWA800 and stripped the wires, I guess).

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

CrimsonNL

Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:34 pm

I've dispatched an aircraft that crashed a few hours later. I was amongst the last few ground staff to ever see those people alive. I hope that's the closest I'll ever have to come to a crash

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

57AZ

Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:18 pm

Yes. Several years ago, a neighbor crashed her Great Lakes biplane on the ramp behind our hanger. Came home from dinner to find the plane sitting inverted on the ramp with one of the fixed main landing gears in the weeds near the ramp culvert. The plane remained on the ramp until the next morning when a crew arrived to haul the airplane over to their property.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

777Jet

Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:48 pm

Quoting airbuseric (Reply 32):
Afaik 4 aircraft I was on before have been crashed afterwards.

I have not been on an aircraft that has crashed at a later date yet - to my knowledge.

The DL Mad Dog involved in the New York incident today had the reg # N909DL - I've been on DL Mad Dogs N909DE & N909DA - close with the 'N909D' part but not quite there with the last letter.

Also, I have the reg # of a MH 777 missing in my logbook. I ruled out it being 9M-MRD (MH17) because of the livery at the time but it could have been 9M-MRO (MH370) - it annoys me to have that missing reg # in my logbook...

If anybody knows how I can find out the tail number for a MH flight from way back in 2005 please let me know  
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

29erUSA187

Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:53 am

Quoting CrimsonNL (Reply 34):

Which one?

afterburner

Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:23 am

Quoting debonair (Reply 30):
Does your boss know the truth?

No, he doesn't.

KBUF

Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:46 am

Thankfully, no. Closest I've come was living a mile and a half away (at the time) from where 9L 3407 crashed.

[Edited 2015-03-05 18:57:13]
"Starting today, the Buffalo Sabres' reason for existence will be to win a Stanley Cup."-Terry Pegula, February 22, 2011

MesaFlyGuy

Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:38 am

I peeled the tire off the nose gear of a Cessna 172 on landing this past summer...If that counts. We were able to move off the runway to the run-up area and not have to disable the only runway at the active commercial airport. Though we did make a US Airways CRJ-900 go around.
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

MillwallSean

Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:22 am

Never been in a crash (touch wood). I have landed twice to awaiting fire engines and foam but thats been rather unspectacular and while we had been told to prepare for a crashlanding the landing itself went perfectly fine and the main difference was the braking.

I remember that after AF overshot the runway in was it Montreal or Toronto, we had an A-net member onboard. He was given the advise by other posters not to disclose anything for legal / compensation reasons. An advise he took onboard. Not sure if he ever told his story.

A pretty close mate of mine went down on MI185.
His family still feel pretty chuffed about not knowing 100% what caused the accident.
No One Likes Us - We Dont Care.

FlyDeltaJetsATL

Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:30 pm

Quoting MillwallSean (Reply 42):
Never been in a crash (touch wood).

Likewise.

I've never been in an airplane crash and I hope that I never have to experience one.

I know some people who know some people who have though, don't we all?
FLY DELTA JETS

ThirtyEcho

Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:44 pm

After 53 years as an active pilot the best I can muster is a blown main gear tire on a Cessna 182. I was trying to make that infamous first turnoff on landing that led directly to the ramp. Don't even think about it, ace.