Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

HALFA
Topic Author

Leave Your Shoes On For Takeoff And Landing!

Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:55 pm

I've been telling people this for years and I will say it again. Do not take off your shoes until your aircraft is airborne, and put them back on before landing. Today's Delta MD-80 Incident at LGA illustrates how important this is. The last thing you want to do is evacuate on to a snowy tarmac in 20 degree weather without your shoes. And if you think you will have time to find your shoes in a hurry should an evacuation become necessary, think again. Your shoes have probably relocated several rows away from you after your aircraft brakes violently before hopefully coming to a stop fully intact.
Always try and be prepared for anything!

Aloha,
HALFA
Hawaiian Airlines Since 1929...........

acabgd

RE: Leave Your Shoes On For Takeoff And Landing!

Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:59 pm

Great advice. I tell myself tihs every time I feel comfortable before takeoff, thinking about taking the shoes off. Not yet, wait....
CSud,D9,MD8x,D10,Trid,BAC1,A30,31,319,320,321,33,346,B71,72,73,74,75,76,77,L10,S20,A42,A72,T13,T15,F50,F70,F100,B146

azjubilee

Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:00 pm

Exactly! And leave your stuff in the plane when you evacuate! That means YOU, you idiots evacuating from the AA plane in Denver!

AA737-823

Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:01 pm

Your rant is well warranted.
This is just another example of people's unacceptable public behavior. Feet on the bulkhead, sitting without fastening your seat belt, etc etc.
It's very rare that I feel appropriate removing my shoes inflight. I generally limit it to overnight flights of more than 7 hours, and being seated in business class where I don't want my shoes on the footrest part of the bed. In coach? Gross.

PlanesNTrains

Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:03 pm

I've had a hard enough time convincing my wife to remain buckled. She has a hard time getting comfortable flying and at some point she'll remove her shoes, though I don't think it's the moment she sits down. Could be. At this stage in life, I'm almost done being her mother lol. But I try.

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

32andBelow

Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:08 pm

I think you will live walking on snow in an emergency with no shoes. Frankly if you are wearing dress shoes you can have worse traction than bare feet in snow/ice.

B747forever

Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:09 pm

Also keep the most valuable belongings such as passport, ID card, wallet and cash on you, so in case of emergency you can take those small things with you when leaving the airplane.
Work Hard, Fly Right

bluejuice

Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:10 pm

Truth!
While the chances of being in an commercial aviation accident are very low, so many little things can dramatically increase your chances of avoiding injury. Leaving your shoes on is excellent advice. Not sure which is worse, freezing your feet on ice or cooking them on asphalt in PHX,
Not biased against vacuum flush.

TK787

Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:16 pm

I always do till 10,000 feet after take off and always put shoes on during initial descent.
Especially people at exit rows should be mindful of this.

usdcaguy

Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:32 pm

This is what I have always thought in business class, where many people take off their shoes immediately upon getting to their seat. Perhaps they are right to begin relaxing as soon as they board so they are ready to sleep once airborne, but I still believe one should keep their shoes off until after takeoff and right before landing.

speedbored

Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:39 pm

I can never understand why anyone would want to remove their shoes on a flight, except maybe to sleep if you have a lie-flat seat.

Do people not see the cr*p that gets dropped on the floor in aircraft these days? Let alone the stuff that washes around the toilet floors and gets walked back to the carpet by your seat!

Cruiser

Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:44 pm

Quoting speedbored (Reply 10):
I can never understand why anyone would want to remove their shoes on a flight, except maybe to sleep if you have a lie-flat seat.

My feet tend to swell a bit with the pressure differences, and it just isn't comfortable to have them on while in flight. I do wait til about an hr after takeoff, and an hour before arrival.
Leahy on Per Seat Costs: "Have you seen the B-2 fly-by at almost US$1bn a copy? It has only 2 seats!"

WNCrew

Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:49 pm

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 5):

I think you will live walking on snow in an emergency with no shoes. Frankly if you are wearing dress shoes you can have worse traction than bare feet in snow/ice.

That's not the point, the point is no may not always be on airport property and to assume someone will rescue you right away is foolish. Shoes serve more than just to provide traction, they protect your feet from metal, heat, cold etc (the elements) so it's best to have them on so that you can escape quickly. If for some odd reason you need to take them off, you can do that, but if you find yourself in the elements for far longer than you expect you can either HAVE them on, or put them back on.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

B747forever

Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:53 pm

Last week I flew AUH-ORD, a 15 hours 20 minutes long flight. Kind of uncomfortable to leave on the shoes on such long flights. Also, I always put on the shoes whenever I walk around the cabin/ go to the lavatory.
Work Hard, Fly Right

GSPSPOT

Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:53 pm

I generally frown on shoeless feet onboard aircraft, but understand the foot swelling thing! I try to wear slip-on, loafer-type shoes when flying - saves time at security and they're easy/quick to slip on/off if I need to leave my seat.
Great Lakes, great life.

SIA747Megatop

Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:04 pm

I think it's important to always have some form of ID on you at all times as it might be helpful to prove your identity to the authorities should the need arise.

I often see people keeping their passports in their briefcase, backpack or blazer/ jacket pocket before handing it over to the cabin crew. I keep my wallet in my briefcase (locked) because I don't like sitting on it for hours but I keep my passport in my front pocket.
I found the edit signature button

Dallas

Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:14 pm

My biggest pet peeve is when I'm not in a window seat and people close the windows for takeoff and landing. As much as I trust the operation, I definitely prefer being aware of the situation at all times in case something were to happen.

airportugal310

Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:14 pm

Do people not see the cr*p that gets dropped on the floor in aircraft these days? Let alone the stuff that washes around the toilet floors and gets walked back to the carpet by your seat!

Ain't that the truth...the other day I flew BNE-HNL and I cannot count the amount of people walking into the lav completely barefoot. Great way to get a fungal infection!

"Sir, that's not water on the floor"
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

HALFA
Topic Author

Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:23 pm

Quoting Dallas (Reply 16):
My biggest pet peeve is when I'm not in a window seat and people close the windows for takeoff and landing. As much as I trust the operation, I definitely prefer being aware of the situation at all times in case something were to happen.

Which is precisely why Hawaiian Airlines requires that window shades remain open for taxi, takeoff and landing. Should we need to perform an evacuation, we need to assess the conditions outside and doing so from the tiny windows at the exit doors is not always feasible. I'm always amazed when I fly on other airlines that this is not a requirement. It makes me question their safety procedures.

Aloha,
HALFA

WNCrew

Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:26 pm

Quoting HALFA (Reply 18):
I'm always amazed when I fly on other airlines that this is not a requirement. It makes me question their safety procedures.

Something to consider: Most window-shades close in the down direction and in the crash sequence many window shades will close on their own. Having said that, many window shades will close on their own if their is an actual crash on takeoff which is why many airlines simply don't require it. I'm not saying it's a worthless practice, but there is some reasoning that goes into the reason why some carriers choose not to partake in the practice.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

NYPECO

Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:27 pm

I could never take off my shoes on an airplane. It would just feel too unclean for me.

Quoting B747forever (Reply 6):
Also keep the most valuable belongings such as passport, ID card, wallet and cash on you, so in case of emergency you can take those small things with you when leaving the airplane.

What is the point of trying to take those with you? It might make things more difficult when you are trying to evacuate.

777STL

Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:27 pm

I was just about to say this. I was stuck in 10A on an AA 738 last week which is a seat that doesn't have a window. Everyone around me decided to keep their windows closed which was irritating to say the least. If something had happened, having sat in a darkened tube for three hours, I think it'd take a few seconds for my eyes to adjust to the bright daylight, which can be crucial in an emergency situation. As it was, the landing was a bit "firm" which is a bit disconcerting when you have no idea where you're at above the ground and then that happens.

I've flown on foreign airlines before that insist on having windows open for take off and landing and now I understand why.
PHX based

hiflyeras

Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:30 pm

Thank you HAL! I've always thought the same...it's idiocy to take your shoes off for takeoff and landing. And when using the lav but that's for another thread.  

B747forever

Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:31 pm

Quoting NYPECO (Reply 20):
What is the point of trying to take those with you? It might make things more difficult when you are trying to evacuate.

A passport/ID in my pocket will most likely not impede on my ability to evacuate.

Also, much easier to identify yourself and being released from crash site if you have an ID ready. Could take days to identify everyone and produce new passport/ID card in case the airplane catches fire, and you leave your documents on board.
Work Hard, Fly Right

Boeing717200

Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:33 pm

Quoting azjubilee (Reply 2):
Exactly! And leave your stuff in the plane when you evacuate! That means YOU, you idiots evacuating from the AA plane in Denver!

And don't forget your fur coat:

Fur

Just under the engine. Appears to be looking back.

[Edited 2015-03-05 12:34:32]
240 years and the top two candidates are named Dumb and Dumber. Stay classy!

DiscoverCSG

Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:33 pm

I always wait until the double ding at FL100 to remove my shoes. I figure that by that point, if an emergency landing is necessary, I have enough time to put my shoes on if it's a decent situation.

And I put them back on sometime between top-of-descent and the FL100 double ding at approach.

If it's a short flight (say, under two hours), I might not remove them at all.

JoeCanuck

Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:46 pm

I thought most airlines insist that the shades remain open during takeoff and landing. I know most international airlines do.

Quoting NYPECO (Reply 20):

That's why I recommend cargo pants. Plenty of secure room for wallet, passport, phone, etc, without having to worry about losing anything important or getting a numb butt.
What the...?

HALFA
Topic Author

Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:56 pm

Quoting JoeCanuck (Reply 26):
I thought most airlines insist that the shades remain open during takeoff and landing. I know most international airlines do.

Surprisingly, several US based airlines do not. This is a requirement on all Hawaiian Airlines flights.

cloudsome

Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:57 pm

Tray table up, seat upright, shoes on. Goes for start and landing.

Wallet and passport nearby. It's a very minor inconvenience.

JoeCanuck

Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:00 pm

Quoting cloudsome (Reply 28):

I remember that many airlines, (perhaps international again), don't mention taking off your shoes in the safety announcement or the safety card.

Anyway, even if they did mention it...I'll take my chances with getting fined after I survive.
What the...?

bennett123

Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:01 pm

My wallet, tickets and Passports are normally in my coat or jacket pocket. Simply stand up and walk.

If I am carrying a Compact Camera, just slip it in my pocket. If the DSLR, probably pocket the Memory Card and leave the Camera behind.

Cipango

Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:05 pm

The only safety rule that I believe is there to be broken is no mobile/cell phone. If they were a true threat they would be banned.

Everything else should be abided. Don't recline your seat the second you sit in it. You don't need to. Don't close the window shade. Fasten your seat belt (people follow this one to be fair).

After seeing a documentary about the Ethiopian Airlines flight that crash landed in the sea just off the Comoros islands, I believe they should make more of a fuss about NOT INFLATING YOUR LIFEJACKET INSIDE THE AIRCRAFT. It was truly horrifying to hear of the consequences.

[Edited 2015-03-05 13:06:52]
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

litz

Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:22 pm

That's why I recommend cargo pants. Plenty of secure room for wallet, passport, phone, etc, without having to worry about losing anything important or getting a numb butt.

Cargos are also usually made of cotton, which doesn't melt in a fire.

Those gym shorts so many like to wear? Umm ... do you really want melted fibers there ... ?

ozglobal

Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:27 pm

Ain't that the truth...the other day I flew BNE-HNL and I cannot count the amount of people walking into the lav completely barefoot. Great way to get a fungal infection!

"Sir, that's not water on the floor"
Quoting airportugal310 (Reply 17):

That's Queensland for you... kind of the "Texas" of Australia  
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

AR385

Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:43 pm

Quoting Cipango (Reply 31):
Fasten your seat belt (people follow this one to be fair).

The two Chinese girls that were killed in the Asiana crash at SFO were ejected from the plane during the crash sequence due to not wearing their seatbelts.

ScottB

Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:45 pm

Quoting HALFA (Thread starter):
I've been telling people this for years and I will say it again. Do not take off your shoes until your aircraft is airborne, and put them back on before landing.

There is one exception to this, and that would be high-heeled shoes. Because they can puncture the slides, they must be removed before jumping on the slide. The correct solution is to not wear high-heeled shoes while flying, but not everyone will follow that advice.

Quoting airportugal310 (Reply 17):

gabrielchew

Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:48 pm

That's my no.1 travel tip to people when they ask....always have "proper" shoes fastened on your feet for take off and landing. This comes from my Tokyo days when we were told to always have a pair of shoes next to the bed. Why? If there's an earthquake, the windows might break. Would you rather escape an unsafe building in the dark with glass all over the floor barefoot or with shoes on?

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 5):

As said above...."Would you rather escape a crashed/burning/disintergrating aircraft barefoot or with shoes on?". I'd rather wear dress shoes than destroy my feet.

You've never flown a longhual? Or heard of slippers   LH and CZ First Classes have both donated me some lovely flying footwear.

Which is precisely why Hawaiian Airlines requires that window shades remain open for taxi, takeoff and landing. Should we need to perform an evacuation, we need to assess the conditions outside and doing so from the tiny windows at the exit doors is not always feasible. I'm always amazed when I fly on other airlines that this is not a requirement. It makes me question their safety procedures.

I was quite shocked to find out that whilst having the window shades open was SOP, it was NOT a legal requirement (at least in the EU). I remember a BD flight where the crew specifically leaned over to lower the arm rests, but kept the window shades down. I'd have thought the opposite would be safer in a crash.

Quoting JoeCanuck (Reply 29):
I remember that many airlines, (perhaps international again), don't mention taking off your shoes in the safety announcement or the safety card.

I'd never considered that. However, they DO tell women to remove high heels! Best idea is to fly in trainers!
http://my.flightmemory.com/shefgab Upcoming flights: AMS-RIX-BUD-VDA,ETH-TLV-FCO-LHR,STN-TXL-LCY,LTN-CPH-LTN,LGW-SZG,MUC-LHR

dynkrisolo

Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:04 pm

I believe there is at least one airline that asks their passengers to keep their shoes on during landings and takeoffs: SQ. IIRC, it was a lesson learned from their SQ 6 crash in Taipei.

I found a related reference to this in the Wikipedia Singapore Girl entry

Quote:

In April 2001, the shoes were replaced by Pierre Balmain-designed safety shoes, in light of safety reviews after the Singapore Airlines Flight 006 crash where flight attendants complained of missing sandals
Quote:

Safety shoes or covered sandals must be worn during take-off and landing. At other times, flight attendants should wear their batik slippers

29erUSA187

Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:04 pm

I tend to dress comfortably, with sweatpants, t-shirt, comfortable shoes, maybe a sweatshirt. This way I can feel at home and comfortable, while I dont have a million coats or god knows what to invade peoples space with. Also, I dont have to add or remove anything to feel comfortable, helping to not offend half of the plane.

litz

Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:05 pm

Most trainers, however, are usually made of synthetic materials ... in case of fire, they will literally melt onto your feet.

Nylon mesh, in particular is very bad for this.

the BEST shoes to wear are leather shoes or shoes made of wool or cotton (natural fibers).

As an example, Converse all-stars, for instance, are made from cotton canvas material.

(Also, if you want uber-comfortable, certain models of Vibram FiveFingers are made from natural materials as well)

777way

Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:07 pm

Shouldnt it be airline policy and crews required to announce this pre-takeoff and landing.

ozark1

Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:13 pm

Another thing that is interesting is the lack of carry on being brought off. Cabin crews implore people to leave everything behind, but many, if not most, don't listen. There have been many instances where items have been forcibly taken from them. By exiting out the window, they couldn't have taken their carry on with them if they had wanted to.

YYZAMS

Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:17 pm

Quoting Cruiser (Reply 11):

My feet tend to swell a bit with the pressure differences, and it just isn't comfortable to have them on while in flight. I do wait til about an hr after takeoff, and an hour before arrival.

Mine too! I have to take off my shoes inflight because they swell so much they hurt. But I always make sure I have them on during take off and landing!

kdhurst380

Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:22 pm

Quoting dynkrisolo (Reply 37):

I believe there is at least one airline that asks their passengers to keep their shoes on during landings and takeoffs: SQ. IIRC, it was a lesson learned from their SQ 6 crash in Taipei.

I found a related reference to this in the Wikipedia Singapore Girl entry

This is correct (at least it was when I flew with them in 2010). It's not just a casual announcement either, it forms part of the safety demo with a visual presentation of what keeping your shoes on looks like on the IFE. Good on them.

With regards to the window shades thing, there is only one airline I've ever flown with who do not enforce window shades up for takeoff & landing; and that's British Airways. All the low costs enforce it and even other EU legacy carriers. Why you wouldn't have it is beyond me to be honest, situational awareness and all.

Quoting gabrielchew (Reply 36):
I was quite shocked to find out that whilst having the window shades open was SOP, it was NOT a legal requirement (at least in the EU). I remember a BD flight where the crew specifically leaned over to lower the arm rests, but kept the window shades down. I'd have thought the opposite would be safer in a crash.

Just spoken to my other half about this thread and he's just pointed out that when he flew with BD during night time, they made no effort to dim the lights for landing. Now that is shocking.

[Edited 2015-03-05 15:31:44]

Utah744

Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:06 am

My son is a podiatrist and he told me about having to put back a fractured heel. He described it was putting back together Humpty Dumpty. Extremely long surgery and the patient has to be totally off that foot for a long time. Shoes ON!
You are never too old to learn something stupid

BravoOne

Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:52 am

Spot on regarding leaving your shoes on and for that matter flip flops are not a lot better. On the flips side just think about over broken metal, fires or a host of other hazards. Ditto for keeping the shades up during takeoff and landing. Common sense is simply not a part of the traveling public's persona these days. Kinda sad.

global2

Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:45 am

My biggest pet peeve is when I'm not in a window seat and people close the windows for takeoff and landing.

Agreed--drives me nuts!

Perversely, often various airllines ask passengers to keep the shades closed while the plane is on the ground if it's hot weather outside in order to keep the cabin cool (because they're trying to save money of course). This means that most shades remain down during takeoff except for those passengers that choose to open them.

I'm also grossed out by those that walk through their TSA screening in bare feet. One lady in front of me on line had the worst foot odor ever! In socks it's bad enough--God knows what they're mopping up off the floor and going into my shoes.

coolian2

Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:00 am

I have as much desire to touch the soles of my shoes as the bottom of my socks. Moot point.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

bgm

Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:23 am

Another thing that completely baffles me is how US airlines allow hand baggage to be put in the exit rows. Every single airline I've flown aside from US carriers require that the exit rows be kept clear for takeoff and landing, just like bulkheads.

S75752

Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:36 am

Quoting B747forever (Reply 6):
Also keep the most valuable belongings such as passport, ID card, wallet and cash on you

These should be kept on person anyways, as otherwise they can be easily stolen when not at your seat, or easily lost if they fall out of a bag.