Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ridgid727
Topic Author

Airlines Using A State In Their Name

Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:17 am

So, Alaska Airlines has branded themselves with the name of a state, yet they are based in Seattle and fly many many city pairs that do not have anything to do with Alaska the state. This could be an identity problem for them in many markets as they grow,and as the populus in say Kentucky would probably identify them more with flying to Alaska than Puerto Vallarta or San Diego.

Thinking about airlines that do or have had a US state in their name, I came up with the following:
Alaska Airlines
Wien Air Alaska (no longer in business)
New York Air (was bought and merged)
Air Florida (no longer in business)
Air Illinois (no long in business)
Trans Colorado Airlines (no longer in business)
Air Wisconsin (do they fly to WI anymore?)
Air Oregon (now a part of QX)
Air California later renamed AirCal (now part of AA)
Texas International (now part of United)
Air Idaho (out of business)
Wyoming Airlines (out of business)
Arizona Airways (no longer in business)
California Pacific (never got off the ground)
Hawaiian Air (a derivative of the states name)

Then there were the ones that had a city in their name.
Reno Air
Air Atlanta
Air LA

Im sure I missed many, but when these airlines were in their planning stages I wonder if those doing the naming ever wondered if they would fly outside the confines of the area they were naming them after.

katwspotter

RE: Airlines Using A State In Their Name

Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:29 am

Quoting ridgid727 (Thread starter):
Air Wisconsin (do they fly to WI anymore?)

Yes they do. Just to MKE though. They even have a MX base there with HQ still in ATW which if the DL flying would have gone through, they would have been flying to ATW, GRB and CWA.
"You're cleared to land on the green dot"

airportugal310

Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:36 am

Hawaiian Air (a derivative of the states name)

Every flight with the exception of one (SDJ-CTS) begins and/or ends or stays within the State of Hawai'i. So no identity problem there, being a destination carrier and all.
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

mtnwest1979

Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:37 am

Also Air Hawaii x2
Air Utah
Air New Mexico and Airways of New Mexico
Texas Star Airlines
Colorado Airlines
Air Nebraska
Air Nevada
Trans Missouri
Iowa Airways
Air Vermont
Air Kentucky
Right off my head at this moment.
All were commuters except one Air Hawaii that flew DC-10s for very short time.
Air Virginia
Air Carolina.....
Pennsylvania Commuter Airlines
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

ridgid727
Topic Author

Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:41 am

Quoting mtnwest1979 (Reply 3):
All were commuters except one Air Hawaii that flew DC-10s for very short time

I also forgot about "the Hawaii Express"

mtnwest1979

Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:46 am

Quoting ridgid727 (Reply 4):
also forgot about "the Hawaii Express"

Oh yes lol.
Also Tennessee Airways
And AeroCalifornia in Mexico  

MVAair

Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:56 am

Im dating myself

Penn Central Airlines

boeing773er

Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:08 am

Allegheny, well that's a county in Pennsylvania but a good inclusion.

Shanghai Airlines is named after a city.
Work Hard, Fly Right.

seat1a

Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:23 am

So Jet America had all fifty?!   

B777LRF

Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:28 am

Can only recall a few:

QANTAS
Bavarian Air
Signature. You just read one.

mjoelnir

Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:55 am

Hamburg Airways
Air Berlin

[Edited 2015-03-14 01:57:33]

SCQ83

Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:12 am

In Europe you have the obvious one, Norwegian. If you think about it, it is a bit odd flying London to Madrid or Warsaw to Barcelona in a "Norwegian" carrier yet there is nothing around in Norwegian or anyone that resembles Norwegian.

I think it works well with places that are overall positive or give neutral vibes (Norway, Alaska - even if for Sarah Palin   -). I don't think anyone in Europe (maybe Swedes   ) has a negative opinion about Norway, and overall is seen as a "premium" country where things are overall made correctly, so I bet there is a mental parallelism made with the airline.

But if it was Texas Airlines, I doubt that would work as well, at least in places like California or New York. This is already happening in Europe, with Germanwings expanding outside Germany and changing their name to Eurowings. If you consider the historical "expansion" of Germany in the past, and the animosity that that country might have around many places in Europe today for various reasons, that makes a lot of sense. I am not sure how would help the name if Germanwings were to start Athens to London.

I think very few things in this world are by chance, so you wonder why Germanwings feel that they need to remove the "German" out of their name (and do a costly rebranding), while Norwegian are happy and proud about keeping it.

cheeken

Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:20 am

Does Air-do (derivative of Hokkaido) count?

mjoelnir

Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:39 am

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 12):

Norway is a country Texas is a state.
Germanwings, the low cost brand of LH is still flying and Eurowings will do long haul. But again Germany is a country.

But Air Bremen would qualify. Bavaria Fluggesellschaft.

ZaphodHarkonnen

Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:45 am

Air NZ is an obvious one. Though as it was originally totally state owned and was the default and only flag carrier it makes sense it was named after the state of NZ.

beiaard

Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:21 am

Quoting mjoelnir (Reply 14):
Norway is a country Texas is a state.

Given that Texas has 180% as much land area, a GDP much more than twice that of Norway, and more than five times as many denizens, I think it's probably a reasonable comparsion, vis a vis problems with branding when serving "foreign" markets.
BONARUM ARTIUM RERUMQUE HUMANARUM AC DIVINARUM STUDIOSOS CONVOCAMUS

LandSweetLand

Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:30 am

Germanwings, the low cost brand of LH is still flying and Eurowings will do long haul. But again Germany is a country.

They are sovereign states though  

LOWS

Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:45 am

Styrian Spirit (Z2) and its services operated as Salzburg Sprit.

26point2

Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:47 am

Since this thread has completely come off the tracks I suggest Happy Air (Thailand). "Happy", a State of Mind,

mjoelnir

Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:48 am

Quoting LandSweetLand (Reply 17):

They are sovereign states though  

But the sovereign makes all the difference.

AOIspotter

Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:19 am

Don't forget AZ, Alitalia...

OzarkD9S

Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:24 am

Wien Air Alaska
Georgia Skies

One might include Empire Airlines (NY), though Empire wasn't the state name, it is the state's nickname. In which case we could also include:

Gem State
Lone Star
Big Sky
"My soul is in the sky". -Pyramus- A Midsummer's Night Dream

SCQ83

Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:31 am

Quoting beiaard (Reply 16):
Given that Texas has 180% as much land area, a GDP much more than twice that of Norway, and more than five times as many denizens, I think it's probably a reasonable comparsion, vis a vis problems with branding when serving "foreign" markets.

Some disagree though  . In any case I understand the OP meant carriers that have a city/country/state in their name and for reasons X or Y expanded far away from that geographical location doing routes that do not touch them.

Alaska Airlines, Norwegian and Air Berlin are perfect examples since they have plenty of routes and bases that do not remotely touch Alaska, Norway or Berlin respectively.

Otherwise most legacy carriers have the name of the country in their name in some way or another; that would be a silly list IMO.

Mortyman

Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:27 pm

Air France

Air Rarotonga

Air Tahiti Nui

Air Tahiti

Aero Mexico

Brussels Airlines

ALM Antillean Airlines

VARIG ( Viação Aérea RIo-Grandense )

SABENA ( Societé Anonyme Belge d'Exploitation de la Navigation Aérienne )

Iberia ( Iberia, Líneas Aéreas de España, S.A. Operadora, Sociedad Unipersonal )

Vietnam Airlines

Singapore Airlines

Bangkok Airways

drgmobile

Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:21 pm

So, Alaska Airlines has branded themselves with the name of a state, yet they are based in Seattle and fly many many city pairs that do not have anything to do with Alaska the state. This could be an identity problem for them in many markets as they grow,and as the populus in say Kentucky would probably identify them more with flying to Alaska than Puerto Vallarta or San Diego.

I don't accept premise of the argument. There are more than enough examples of strong brands that have surpassed any psychological barriers imposed by geographic affiliations. Alaska Airlines and Southwest are arguably among the strongest, if not the strongest airline brands in the U.S. Norwegian Cruise Lines, Canada Goose, Holland America, etc.... There are scores of other examples in other sectors.

The nature of the airline industry, with it's ongoing barriers to true cross border mergers, means that nation state-oriented brands already enjoy far wider global loyalty than one might anticipate -- just ask anybody who travels extensively through Europe, Asia or the Middle East. KLM, Lufthansa, Korean Air, Cathay Pacific, Singapore Airlines, Emirates, Qatar Airways carry as many or more people from A to C than from A to B or B to C (where B is the home market).

XAM2175

Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:33 pm

There was an Air Queensland ( QN / AQN / "BUSHAIR" ) operating out of Cairns from 1951 to 1988... ended up being absorbed into Australian Airlines. Incidentally it was the last Australian airline to operate the DC-3 in scheduled services, with the last being withdrawn only three weeks before the acquisition by TN.

Those DC-3s came from Queensland Pacific Airways (who'd picked them up from QF in 1971).

Queensland's nickname of the Sunshine State could also be said to have inspired Sunstate Airlines ( QF / SSQ ), now one of the wholly-owned Qantas subsidiaries that operate under the QantasLink brand.

South of the border there existed Airlines of New South Wales ( WX / "NEWSOUTH" ) as one of Reg Ansett's companies, named as such from 1959 until 1990 when it became Ansett NSW, before being fully merged with AN mainline in 1993.

Heading west, Ansett were similarly involved with Airlines of South Australia ( RT then GJ ) from 1960 to 1986, branded as Ansett Airlines SA between 1968 and 1981.

ME AVN FAN

Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:42 pm

Worse is if the Name is false. SWISS for example is NOT Swiss at all but 100% German. BUT is it profitable and successful which is good for Lufthansa AND for Switzerland. It helps Swiss inbound tourism and is useful. Swiss People and German People see through, and are happy as long as the rest of the world swallows

hloutweg

Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:58 pm

In a world of airline consolidation Alaska Air is one of the last US state named airlines to survive. Nowadays the state name on their corporate does not represent their market reach and destinations so I see this airline's branding disappearing in the not so distant future. This will be due to consolidation again as I belibe their product to be good.
In Varietate Concordia

jetpixx

Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:16 pm

I always find it strange flying Southwest from RDU-FLL...when neither is in the 'southwest'...or flying BWI-PVD...the complete opposite of the direction southwest.
ABE, BIL, BOS, BUF, BWI, CAE, CAK, CHS, CLE, CLT, CVG, DAY, DFW, DTW, EWR, FLL, GSO, IAD, IAH, IND, ISP, JAX, JFK, LAS, LAX, LGA, MDW, MEM, MHT, MIA, MKE, MLB, MSO, MSP, OMA, ORD, PBI, PHL, PIT, PVD, RDU, SEA, SFO, SLC, SJU, STL, SYR, TLH, TMB, TUL, YVR

C010T3

Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:08 pm

VARIG, VASP and TRIP had Brazilian states as part of their acronym names.

mtnwest1979

Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:19 pm

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 24):
In any case I understand the OP meant carriers that have a city/country/state in their name and for reasons X or Y expanded far away from that geographical location doing routes that do not touch them.

Actually the OP stated only airline names with states in them. No city, county, country, compass point, color , and so on. Seemed fairly straight forward from the get go.

There was also Pacific Cal Air, California Central, the piece of Pacific Wings dba New Mexico Airlines, Air Michigan, and cargo Florida West.

JU068

Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:25 pm

To me it seemed as if the initial post only referred to U.S. states.

BWI5OH

Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:39 pm

Oooooh, I got a good one... "Boston Maine Airways"

They were affiliated with PanAm #3? 4? Maybe even 54, but they flew into BWI with these twin engine things id be afraid to get on.

[Edited 2015-03-14 08:43:30]
"It's all fun and games until the cops show up"

Boeing778X

Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:48 pm

New Mexico Airlines, operated by Pacific Wings.
United Airlines: $#!ttin' On Everyone Since 1931

cjg225

Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:52 pm

Quoting boeing773ER (Reply 7):
Allegheny, well that's a county in Pennsylvania but a good inclusion.

Was Allegheny named after the county, the river, or the mountains? Maybe none of the above!
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

vv701

Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:01 pm

So, Alaska Airlines has branded themselves with the name of a state

I am older than most of us here on a-net. But I remember the days when I was still at school when there was an airline named Alaska Airlines but no State of Alaska. So clearly the airline was not actually named after a state when it adopted its current name in May 1944.

I believe that Alaska only became a US state around 15 years later in January 1959.

However Alaska Airlines was clearly named after the US Territory of Alaska.

Sorry to be pedantic.  

BoeingGuy

Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:04 pm

There was a California Hawaiian Airlines that flew Constellations.

Quoting MVAair (Reply 6):
Penn Central Airlines

There was a PC Airlines too?

Burkhard

Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:32 pm

From Germany I can add
ACH Hamburg
Aero Berlin
Air Berlin
Air Evex Westfalia
Bavaria
Brandenburger Flugdienst
Mecklenburger Flugdienst

Grabbed a list 10 years old, but just to add to the fun...

EIDL

Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:39 pm

The apparent original name for Ryanair was to be "Trans Tipperary Air" which would have had it named after a county (equivalent subdivision of a country) that doesn't even have an airport in it...

WesternDC6B

Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:05 pm

I guess a "Rhode Island Air" would, of necessity, require very small aircraft. The upside is they'd not have to provide any sort of beverage service. "Welcome aboard (pause) and thank you for flying Rhode Island Air!"
Never employ grandios verbiage when the utilisation of diminutive phraseology will suffice.

ridgid727
Topic Author

Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:13 pm

Quoting drgmobile (Reply 24):

I don't accept premise of the argument. There are more than enough examples of strong brands that have surpassed any psychological barriers imposed by geographic affiliations. Alaska Airlines and Southwest are arguably among the strongest, if not the strongest airline brands in the U.S. Norwegian Cruise Lines, Canada Goose, Holland America, etc.... There are scores of other examples in other sectors.

the entire reason I brought it up, was yesterday I was stuck on I-15 in Salt Lake Lake City with traffic snarled and going about 100 yards every 15 minutes, and sat in front of a billboard for Alaska Airlines, HOWEVER, the billboard did not mention "Alaska Airlines" in name, only Alaska Beyond. It really looked more like a promotion for the State of Alaska rather than Alaska Airlines. With AS being relatively new in the SLC market, I was rather surprised to see something advertising Alaska Airlines but made no mention of Alaska Airlines, only ALASKA.

atct

Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:53 pm

Quoting BWI5OH (Reply 32):
"Boston Maine Airways"

Theyre still around. They do charter / corporate shuttle flying. They still fly DCA-ACY almost every day as a shuttle between FAA HQ and our tech center on the Atlantic City airport.
Trikes are for kids!

lhrnue

Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:54 pm

Quoting Burkhard (Reply 37):

From Germany I can add
ACH Hamburg
Aero Berlin
Air Berlin
Air Evex Westfalia
Bavaria
Brandenburger Flugdienst
Mecklenburger Flugdienst

Grabbed a list 10 years old, but just to add to the fun...

Nürnberger Flugdienst which became Eurowings

zkeoj

Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:29 pm

In New Zealand also Air Nelson and Air Chathams. And a few by geographical regions: Sounds Air (Malborough Sounds), Air Milford (milford Sounds), Great Barrier Air (Great Barrier Island) and more...

In China are a few by "state"/region/city: Hainan, Xiamen, Shanghai

Cheers
micha

jetpixx

Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:44 pm

States

Air Colorado
Air Missouri
Florida Express
FlyHawaii Airlines
Hawkeye State Airlines
Mississippi Valley Airlines
Southern Jersey Airways
Trans Texas Airways

Cities

Provincetown-Boston Airways (PBA)
Chicago Air
Chicago Express
Key West Airlines
Las Vegas Airlines
Marco Island Airways
ABE, BIL, BOS, BUF, BWI, CAE, CAK, CHS, CLE, CLT, CVG, DAY, DFW, DTW, EWR, FLL, GSO, IAD, IAH, IND, ISP, JAX, JFK, LAS, LAX, LGA, MDW, MEM, MHT, MIA, MKE, MLB, MSO, MSP, OMA, ORD, PBI, PHL, PIT, PVD, RDU, SEA, SFO, SLC, SJU, STL, SYR, TLH, TMB, TUL, YVR

adamh8297

Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:57 pm

Cape Air (named after Cape Cod)
Nantucket Airlnes (town, island, and county!)
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

Viscount724

Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:27 am

Canada has had quite a few airlines bearing the names of some of the 10 provinces and 3 territories. A few I can think of, many now defunct or merged out of existence.

Provinces:
Central British Columbia Airways (original name of Pacific Western Airlines)
B.C. Airlines (acquired by Pacific Western 1970)
Air BC (former AC regional partner, now part of Jazz)
Alberta Central Airways (existing charter carrier)
Saskatchewan Government Airways, defunct (changed name to Norcanair, once a CP commuter partner)
Air Manitoba, defunct (I think)
Air Ontario (former AC regional partner, now part of Jazz
Ontario Express (former CP regional partner, now part of Jazz
Ontario Worldair, defunct longhaul charter carrier
Quebecair, defunct (acquired by CP 1986)
Prince Edward Air (defunct)
Newfoundland Airways (changed name to Air Labrador, still operating).

The 3 northern territories:
Northwest Territorial Airways (NWT Air in latter years, acquired by First Air 1998)
Air Nunavut (existing charter carrier)
Yukon Southern Air Transport (that's going way back; they were one of a dozen or so small carriers acquired by Canadian Pacific and merged in 1942 to create Canadian Pacific Air Lines. Yukon Southern's founder and president, Grant McConachie, was CP Air's CEO from soon after CP's creation until his death in 1965. A Canadian Airlines 747-400 was named for him.)

Quoting VV701 (Reply 35):
So, Alaska Airlines has branded themselves with the name of a state

I am older than most of us here on a-net. But I remember the days when I was still at school when there was an airline named Alaska Airlines but no State of Alaska. So clearly the airline was not actually named after a state when it adopted its current name in May 1944.

Same for Hawaiian Airlines which changed its name from Inter-Island Airways (founded 1929) to Hawaiian in 1944. Hawaii didn't become a state until 1959 (about 7 months after Alaska).

ozark1

Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:10 am

Does anyone ever foresee WN changing their name due to the fact that they are far from being Southwest anymore?

fanofjets

Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:37 am

Why not go with a whole bunch of states at once? Trans States Airlines:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © powwwiii

The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

fanofjets

Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:41 am

For us superannuated A.nutters, there was Chicago & Southern Air Lines; later merged with Delta.

View Large View Medium

Photo © RAScholefield Collection

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery