scutfarcus
Topic Author

Schiphol: Why The Closed Gates?

Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:21 pm

I love Schipol. But there's one thing I really dislike about it. The strange security screening you have to go through immediately at the gate which then locks you into this purgatory zone with no food or drink.

Why does it work this way? Is there no security elsewhere?

Seems like this would be much more costly to manage for the airport (security at every gate instead of one place) not to mention a nasty surprise for travelers who get to the gate too early...

Are there other airports that do this?

usflyer msp

Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:04 am

Quoting scutfarcus (Thread starter):

Yes, KUL comes to mind.

FYI, AMS is in the process of remodelling to get rid of the individual gate security...

scutfarcus
Topic Author

Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:23 am

Interesting! Great to hear about the remodel... you don't happen to have any links to an article on that?

roberts87

Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:50 am

I believe this has to do with the fact that passengers from certain countries need to be re-screened for their connecting flight, and Schiphol currentky does not have the means to separate arriving passengers from departing passengers. This will be different when a new cetralized security check point is ready during the course of (next) year.

http://www.schiphol.nl/Travellers/At...pholConstructsConvertsConnects.htm

CrimsonNL

Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:12 am

Quoting roberts87 (Reply 3):

Yep that's correct! It will be a VERY welcome change. I hate those old, cramped areas. They are always too small if you are flying a big jet.

I know SIN also has it for some gates

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

aklrno

Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:54 am

Also WLG domestic but I think they are changing to a single checkpoint.

threeifbyair

Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:00 pm

I believe MCI has a similar problem with minimal post-security amenities, although each checkpoint serves more than one gate. Parts of BOS also have isolated gate areas (B1-3 used by AC and C40-42, now mainly used by AS and SY) with no post-security connections to the rest of the airport. No hot food, inadequate restrooms. It is not a fun place to wait for a flight.

dumbell2424

Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:29 pm

YYZ Pre-cleared US soil has pretty slim pickings as well.

nethkt

Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:46 am

I will be flying EVA from AMS to BKK. I think it will be my case.
At which pier will I meet this scenario apart from G?
So the recommendation is to stay at the lounge till -30 mins STD?
Many thanks in advance for the answers.
Let's just blame it on yields.

DAL763ER

Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:04 am

VIE has the same setup in place. Very strange and annoying.

northwestEWR

Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:28 am

I like AMS, I find being able to travel between concourses and terminals without having to pass through security is very nice. You have to go through security anyway, so why not do it at the gate? Yeah the holding area is small but I've never been in there more than a few minutes before boarding. You could probably argue that this is a more secure way of doing things too.

If they're changing things at AMS, how will it work then?

[Edited 2015-04-15 21:28:43]
Northwest Airlines - Now You're Flying Smart

roberts87

Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:20 am

Quoting northwestEWR (Reply 10):
If they're changing things at AMS, how will it work then?

Simple, there will be one centralised security checkpoint after check-in, just like at many other airprorts. After you pass that you are free to roam around within the concourses and terminals like it is now. You can't pass from the Schengen to the non-Schengen area, but you can do that now either.

Arriving passengers will go to a new level built op top of the existing concourses, and from there go straight to arrivals, or to the new centralised security checkpoint.

a320fan

Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:43 am

SIN Does it, and it annoyed me the first time I went through as I had my just bought water bottle confiscated after already been dehydrated from the first flight. It wasn't bad however, as we went through right on boarding so did not have to spend time in the holding area.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400

airbuseric

Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:16 am

Quoting nethkt (Reply 8):

I will be flying EVA from AMS to BKK. I think it will be my case.
At which pier will I meet this scenario apart from G?
So the recommendation is to stay at the lounge till -30 mins STD?
Many thanks in advance for the answers.

D (non Schengen flights) -E-F-G have this concept.

Your BR flight will surely be handled with security at the gate. If you are using a lounge, you probably also have priority boarding (and priority security for some airlines), so better to stay in the lounge till -45 minute prior departure?
It's a 777 after all, boarding starts early  
"The whole world steps aside for the man who knows where he is going"

reifel

Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:26 pm

AMS is a great airport, but I agree the non schengen gate security is annoying. Nowadays in europe it is standard that
-Non schengen has a centralized checkpoint
-Transfer from schengen (and sometimes even other non schengen "safe" countries like UK or US/CA) to Non schengen do not require rescreening, but AMS's setup gives yo no other choice

Heck even CDG is better in this regard.

How will AMS work once remodeled? I can't imagine guest arriving at the other end of the non schengen complex needs to walk back to the very beginning to pass a central security checkpoint and walk back everyhting in order connect to another non schengen flight...

reifel

Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:27 pm

Quoting DAL763ER (Reply 9):
VIE has the same setup in place. Very strange and annoying.

Hi there,

last time I transited through Vienna I can confirm that both in the new but also in the old terminal they got rid of gate security. Both now have a centralized security check point if I recall correctly.

reifel

Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:29 pm

Oh and also AUH got rid of it. They used to have a centralized checkpoint at T3, but T1 was security at the gate as they could not segregate arriving and departing passengers. T1 has now a special corridor for arrivals and a central security check point (actually 2, one for connecting and one for AUH starting passengers)

mark2fly1034

Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:49 pm

Quoting reifel (Reply 14):
How will AMS work once remodeled? I can't imagine guest arriving at the other end of the non schengen complex needs to walk back to the very beginning to pass a central security checkpoint and walk back everyhting in order connect to another non schengen flight...

I would hate for that to be the case but it seems like it might have to be that way. You will some how have to reclear security and I think instead of 1 centralized location it is going to be one location for each Pier so security if you want to go into D one if you want to go into E... Etc.

sw733

Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:45 pm

Quoting aklrno (Reply 5):
Also WLG domestic but I think they are changing to a single checkpoint.

That's good to hear. I assume the small prop planes will still be off on their own without security at all?

Quoting threeifbyair (Reply 6):

I believe MCI has a similar problem with minimal post-security amenities, although each checkpoint serves more than one gate

Indeed - MCI has several checkpoints which serve anywhere from 4 to about 12 gates (Southwest having the largest area). I love it as an MCI-based frequent flier, many people hate it.

cedarjet

Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:27 am

I hate the security at the gate set up vis you can't buy a bottle of water for the flight. Other than that it's good not to be in line with 8,000 people.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

initious

Mon May 04, 2015 2:43 am

As another user mentioned, SIN has it too. Sometimes it's annoying for me but it sure makes it faster compared to a centralised one.

Quoting A320fan (Reply 12):

SIN Does it, and it annoyed me the first time I went through as I had my just bought water bottle confiscated after already been dehydrated from the first flight. It wasn't bad however, as we went through right on boarding so did not have to spend time in the holding area.

I usually bring an empty water bottle through security and fill it up at the gate. There are water coolers at every gate.
One day I will fly around the world!