Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

ckfred
Topic Author

Traveling With A 12-year-old On BA

Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:58 pm

We're flying ORD-LHR-ORD this summer on BA, in premium economy. My 12-year-old son eats like the stereotypical kid, preferring peanut butter sandwiches, burgers, hot dogs, grilled cheese, and chicken tenders, served with french fries. He's stating to think he's too old for kids meals, but he will order one, if the main menu in a restaurant is unappealing, such as a seafood restaurant.

Would I be better off ordering a kid's meal for him, or should I take a chance that there will be something on the BA dinner menu that he will be willing to try?

flynhi808

RE: Traveling With A 12-year-old On BA

Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:36 pm

I'd pick up a sandwich or something for him in the airport before you leave. IIRC, the kids meals are for younger children. (I've always been fine with regular food). I haven't flown BA in Y or Y+ so don't know what the meals are like. Your safest bet is to pick something up before departure.
fly-n-HI-808

bwaflyer

Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:56 am

Children's meals are normally chicken nuggets, potatoes and veg with some M&Ms, cheese crackers and a dessert. If your child only eats simpler foods, then it's probably a safer option. Just make sure youve ordered it more than 24 hours before departure.

luv2fly

Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:18 pm

Pack what he likes, long time to be stuck with an unhappy child!
You can cut the irony with a knife

fallap

Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:41 pm

Quoting ckfred (Thread starter):
We're flying ORD-LHR-ORD this summer on BA, in premium economy. My 12-year-old son eats like the stereotypical kid, preferring peanut butter sandwiches, burgers, hot dogs, grilled cheese, and chicken tenders, served with french fries. He's stating to think he's too old for kids meals, but he will order one, if the main menu in a restaurant is unappealing, such as a seafood restaurant.

Would I be better off ordering a kid's meal for him, or should I take a chance that there will be something on the BA dinner menu that he will be willing to try?

You would be better off teaching your son how to eat proper food

[Edited 2015-04-26 08:43:47]  duck 

[Edited 2015-04-26 08:46:47]
Ex grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M
Now studying Political Science

ckfred
Topic Author

Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:53 pm

Quoting Fallap (Reply 4):

Easier said than done. He is a strong-willed person.

Venezuela747

Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:16 am

Why not consider picking something up at McDonald's or whatever he likes at T5 to take on board or eat beforehand and then just get him a regular meal. If he's not a fan of what he gets served, at least he's full from his dinner before the flight

You could always slip him an advil PM before boarding..... oh wait did I just suggest child drug use? maybe a reason why I'm not a parent
ROLL TIDE!!!

fallap

Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:26 am

Quoting ckfred (Reply 5):

Will's are made to be broken  
Quote:
Why not consider picking something up at McDonald's or whatever he likes at T5 to take on board or eat beforehand and then just get him a regular meal. If he's not a fan of what he gets served, at least he's full from his dinner before the flight

You could always slip him an advil PM before boarding..... oh wait did I just suggest child drug use? maybe a reason why I'm not a parent

McDonald's on board a flight? The odor! The horror!
Ex grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M
Now studying Political Science

longhauler

Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:19 pm

I agree.

Or at least learn that you don't always get what you want under certain circumstances. Jumping up and down and holding your breath doesn't always make french fries magically appear. 12 years old is a young adult. "beef, chicken or pasta" is reasonable in an aluminum tube flying in the stratosphere .... so also is "fine, then eat nothing".

Quoting ckfred (Reply 5):

Especially if he has learned that being "strong willed" gets him what he wants.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

ckfred
Topic Author

Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:50 pm

Quoting Fallap (Reply 7):
Will's are made to be broken

This is really off topic, but breaking a child's will is one of the worst things a parent can do. That's according to child psychologist Michael Popkin. His analogy was Seabiscuit. When trainers tried to break Seabiscuit, he was a lousy race horse. When Seabiscuit was managed, he could out run War Admiral, a much larger horse who had won the Triple Crown.

I've got a kid who gets straight As, behaves well in school, easily makes friends, is a good athlete, and can beat older kids at chess.

Quoting longhauler (Reply 8):

The strong-willed kid is the one who has no problem saying no to drugs and other peer influences. He'll probably be the person at the office who, when a boss says something can't be done, will do it , put it as item 1 on his self review, and then get a promotion.

AAlaxfan

Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:03 am

Try to find out what the menu will be before hand. If there's nothing on the "adult" menu, find out what the kid menu is. Nothing there, get him a sandwich before boarding. Bring aboard plenty of snacks, not only for him, but for you too.
Grumpy. Not a dwarf, not an attitude. It's a lifestyle.

TheCommodore

Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:33 am

We're flying ORD-LHR-ORD this summer on BA, in premium economy. My 12-year-old son eats like the stereotypical kid, preferring peanut butter sandwiches, burgers, hot dogs, grilled cheese, and chicken tenders, served with french fries.

Wow, you really need to educate the kid as to whats healthy and whats not.

Now, at the age of 12    would be a good time to start.

Quoting luv2fly (Reply 3):
Pack what he likes, long time to be stuck with an unhappy child!

Whos runn ing the show here, the kid or the parents ?

Quoting Venezuela747 (Reply 6):

Why not consider picking something up at McDonald's or whatever he likes at T5 to take on board or eat beforehand and then just get him a regular meal.

We should be getting kids away from that shit. Its rubbish and only leads to bad habits further down the track.

You said it !

Quoting longhauler (Reply 8):

Bingo......

Parents have much to answer for.

Quoting ckfred (Reply 9):
I've got a kid who gets straight As, behaves well in school, easily makes friends, is a good athlete, and can beat older kids at chess.

Is ha also a fat slob because he only eats nuggets, chips, hotdogs and burgers ?

The strong-willed kid is the one who has no problem saying no to drugs and other peer influences.

He may as well say yes to drugs, cause he'll be dead by 30 if he continues to eat crap like that.
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

flynhi808

Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:04 am

looking back on it, my parents had the opposite problem. "no, you can't have the filet mignon"   
fly-n-HI-808

aklrno

Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:15 am

I have been amused by this thread. On the one hand, at some point he has to learn to accept what is available, and on the other hand putting up with the unhappiness is a pain in the neck.

This seems a lot like getting my dog to accept that dog food is what is on the menu some nights. He manages to place himself where he can stare mournfully at his dog food bowl while watching me eat at the same time. Those big brown sad eyes are hard to ignore. All he wants is a few scraps from my plate, but I don't want him to think that begging is OK.

I know that he is not going to starve to death and will eventually eat the dog food. But I want him to be happy too. He is big enough to kill me in an instant if he really wanted to , and just take my food, but we have come to a reasonable arrangement. He gets a treat from time-to-time, but it is not guaranteed.

I don't think the 12 year old will kill if his wishes aren't fulfilled, but parents should keep in mind that when the time comes for them to move into a nursing home that 12 year old will be making the decisions. I hope he chooses a place with good food.

AAlaxfan

Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:59 am

From op:

My 12-year-old son eats like the stereotypical kid, preferring peanut butter sandwiches, burgers, hot dogs, grilled cheese, and chicken tenders, served with french fries. He's stating to think he's too old for kids meals, but he will order one, if the main menu in a restaurant is unappealing

Again:

Quoting AAlaxfan (Reply 10):
Try to find out what the menu will be before hand. If there's nothing on the "adult" menu, find out what the kid menu is. Nothing there, get him a sandwich before boarding. Bring aboard plenty of snacks, not only for him, but for you too.

Child is not throwing any tantrums, whining crying about food choices and parents are not coddling him. He is simply going through the phase in life where tastes change from children's tastes to adult tastes. The parents are just trying to figure out the best way for their child to have a meal on this flight.

There is no need to "break this child" or "teach him to eat proper foods". He's doing it himself by looking at adult menus, but with an airlines limited menu, ckfred has to be sure he gets something to eat.

[Edited 2015-04-29 00:07:40]

AAlaxfan

Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:21 am

Commodore:

Your comments are completely off base:

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 11):

Is ha also a fat slob because he only eats nuggets, chips, hotdogs and burgers ?

The strong-willed kid is the one who has no problem saying no to drugs and other peer influences.

He may as well say yes to drugs, cause he'll be dead by 30 if he continues to eat crap like that.

Ckfred seems to have raised a pretty good child.

ElanusNotatus

Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:59 am

to take on board

Genuine question and not in any way expressing an opinion on dietry choices.

Do BA permit passengers to bring on board meals like McDonald's? I know that parents can bring on baby foods but what about other foods: are the rules similar to only being able to consume alcohol served by the cabin crew?
Crawl, walk, fly into the future

aklrno

Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:02 pm

Quoting ElanusNotatus (Reply 16):
Do BA permit passengers to bring on board meals like McDonald's? I know that parents can bring on baby foods but what about other foods: are the rules similar to only being able to consume alcohol served by the cabin crew?

I've never heard of an airline banning food carried on by passengers. As a matter of courtesy you should choose something that is not offensive to others. That includes bad smells and maybe a ham sandwich on El Al.

I have done it many times, and still do once in a while.

lapper

Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:10 pm

BA Y+ serves main dishes from the J class menu.

flynhi808

Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:19 pm

Quoting lapper (Reply 18):
BA Y+ serves main dishes from the J class menu.

He should be fine with that then.

[Edited 2015-04-29 12:20:00]

Edit:
From what i understand from the BA website, in Y+ you can also pre select a different "adult" meal up 24 hours before the flight. That way, he can eat off the "adult" menu, but still get something he is familiar with.

http://www.britishairways.com/en-us/...ce=MNVINF2food_drink&link=main_nav

[Edited 2015-04-29 12:25:14]
fly-n-HI-808

ushermittwoch

Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:37 am

If the kid is so strong willed, he can easily show off his strong will by going hungry during this, admittedly quite short TATL. Otherwise, he can be mature, which you say he is (trying to be), suck it up and eat the "grown up food."
Catering to a child's every wants, not needs, will just set them up for disappointment later in life. They won't get hampered down the road. Life's tough. Learning that lesson sooner rather than later will just help your kid out later on.
That being said, BA do indeed allow you to bring food on board. The FA's will not say anything to your face, but I am sure they will think to themselvers: "Oh look, another spoilt American brat whose parents aren't being parents but are trying to be their kid's best buddies."
My twn cents.
Where have all the tri-jets gone...

readytotaxi

Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:22 pm

I hope you have a pleasant flight and the food is to everyones liking.
from experience I have found that teaching children to cook meals from scratch is very rewarding and broadens their menu horizons, it really does not take a lot of skills to prepare a good meal.  
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

tjwgrr

Fri May 01, 2015 9:32 pm

Quoting flynhi808 (Reply 12):

looking back on it, my parents had the opposite problem. "no, you can't have the filet mignon"   

Yep, in my early childhood I was given grilled "tube steaks" (hot dogs) when my parents had steak......
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

TWA772LR

Sun May 03, 2015 1:39 am

Buy some fast food in the terminal, he'll be fine. 
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

ajs123uk

Tue May 05, 2015 6:08 pm

There is no McDonald's in terminal 5.
You can buy sandwiches in pret a manger.
The child's meals on BA from Heathrow are normally chicken nugget type things, mashed potato and peas. Yoghurt, chocolate and fruit.